PDA

View Full Version : Lamberto Bava's Delerium

crank
09-30-2001, 06:43 AM
Has anybody else noticed that both Anchor Bay and Shriek Show have Lamberto Bava's Delerium slated for a 2002 release. I just thought that was strange, since it is uncommon for two legitimate companies to announce the same title for a close release date.

crank

Jason25
09-30-2001, 07:11 AM
That is strange.

skinnypuppy6
09-30-2001, 07:29 AM
i was wondering the same thing but i think there is another film titled derlerium other than L.bava's

crank
09-30-2001, 09:23 PM
That is what I was thinking. I would have simply flat out assumed that except for a couple of things. Now we know the Shriek Show version is Lamberto Bava's, they have it listed as such in all of their press releases. And Anchor Bay, to date is really the only company in the US to show Lamberto much love, so it would not be out of the ordinary for them to release one of his movies, and since he doesn't have his own collection, they would never post the director in their upcoming films page until the movie was like 2 months from release. I also read (I can't remember where) on some site's upcoming features section that the AB release was the L. Bava version. Food for thought.

crank

bruce h
10-01-2001, 12:07 AM
last i heard AB's Delirium is Renato Polselli's, and Shriek Show's Delirium is Lamberto Bava's

skinnypuppy6
10-01-2001, 01:11 AM
thanks Bruce, I knew I was right , but I'm sure I'll get them both anyway:)

dwatts
11-19-2004, 05:44 PM
This thread will do for resurection.

I caught this movie last night, finally getting around to watching it after owning it for months. What a fabulous surprise! I enjoyed every damn second of this thing. For sure, it's a straight giallo. It doesn't do much of anything spectacular, but if you're a fan of the genre, then it hits all the high points.

I've not been a big fan of Bava's films, to be honest (I really don't like Demons, Macabre etc). However, he really shows us a couple of tricks here. The tension of the lift scene is great, and a couple of shots are "pause to get a better look at it".

The gore is lower, but the nudity higher - so hey, that's a trade I can do.

All in all, for fans of the genre, this comes highly recommended. For newbies it's good too though, since you'll get a good feel for what a giallo really is.

Very very good then. The DVD offers up a non-anamorphic image, which is perhaps a little soft and drab. But really, even projected this wasn't a problem. Go for it!

betterdan
11-19-2004, 05:55 PM
Dwatts are you talking about the SS release of Delirium: Photo of Gioia? If so it has a 1.85:1 anamorphic transfer

Andrew
11-19-2004, 09:50 PM
I remember thinking this was a piece of crap. Played out like a poor man's TENEBRE if I remember right.

dwatts
11-19-2004, 10:08 PM
--watts are you talking about the SS release of Delirium: Photo of Gioia? If so it has a 1.85:1 anamorphic transfer--

Yes I am. I based my comments on two things:

1. The back of the box doesn't claim it is anamorphic. Now, Betterdan says it is, so I went and picked up the box to check (was I going mad?) Sure enough, on the back, no mention. But then I flipped it over, and on the front is huge banner "Remastered Anamorphic Widescreen" :D

However............................

2. My system did not render the picture correctly. For simplicity sakes, in "Widescreen" mode, the image was ever so slightly compressed vertically. In "4:3 Zoom" mode, it was perfect. I guess this one DVD might have a compatibility problem with my system - something to do with Progressive settings, maybe?

-- Played out like a poor man's TENEBRE if I remember right.--

There are simularities, and I noticed them too. However, I rejoiced in them, and found it all very entertaining. It does employ one of those Argento "heavy metal" soundtracks, but even that wasa bit of a hoot this time around.

As stated earlier, it's not a remarkable film, it's just a very tight one, with a few good new ideas, but mostly sticking to the formula. Which is largely why I liked it so much. Far from "crap" in my book. This is an unjustly maligned film.

Andrew
11-19-2004, 11:38 PM
That's fair. I bought it way back when it was released and do owe it another viewing.

betterdan
11-19-2004, 11:41 PM
I haven't watched this dvd since I had the 32 inch non widescreen tv downstairs. I'll have to give it a spin on the widescreen set to see how the anamorphic transfer looks on it and see if I see the same thing you do.

dwatts
11-20-2004, 01:38 AM
There is one distinct Tenebrae moment, that looks as though it might reply to climatic arm chopping sequence. Even the woman looks kind of the same. However, it pans out completely differently. It was fun for me, because my expectations were denied.

Wez4555
11-21-2004, 04:56 PM
just picked this up for less than $5 at DDD. can't wait to try see it.

Morg
11-21-2004, 07:09 PM
Delirium: Photo of Gioia is probably my least favorite Lamberto Bava film. I found it a tad boring, and after viewing it was dissapointed.

Renato Polselli's Delirium, on the other hand is great, found that to be a pleasant surprise. I have the AB disk which has both the American Version and the International uncut version. I've actually only seen the American version **EDIT: Correction - I've only seen the International Version, went to watch it today and realized my mistake** thus far, and now will be watching the Uncut version soon. The Uncut version is 17 minutes longer and has "...radically different subpots and endings as well as additional scenes of sleazy sex and extreme violence."

redstar
05-30-2007, 08:13 PM
The chest of Sabrina Salerno is the best part of "Delirium". The rest is nothing to stay in mind. Forget it.

DrHerbertWest
05-30-2007, 08:54 PM
Hilarious seeing this thread because I watched it today. I think it's a pretty solid little movie if a little odd. I'd recommend it if you can get it cheap, and you CAN if you get it by picking up the Psycho Killer set from Shriek Show.

Crystal Plumage
05-30-2007, 10:29 PM
My copy just shipped yesterday.
I know I can expect a mediocre Giallo but hey it's a Giallo!

amandag
05-30-2007, 10:37 PM
i thought the film was great. It really helps to be a Lamberto Bava fan also.

Crystal Plumage
05-30-2007, 10:44 PM
I have no problems with Bava Jr.
Still have to pick up Midnight Killer.
Also will pick up (soon-ish) his two more recent films Ghost Son and The Torturer.

amandag
05-31-2007, 03:01 AM
i just picked up midnight killer VIA the x rated kult label

Katatonia
05-31-2007, 06:08 AM
I actually really enjoyed the film. The plot is decent enough, and the cinematography and production design is beautiful.

And...Sabrina Salerno is gorgeous!

MorallySound
05-31-2007, 07:23 AM
I'm not a fan of Delerium: Photos of Giora. I thought it was boring and just couldn't get into the movie at all.

Gore Lunatic
05-31-2007, 02:04 PM
I found this film to be boring when I first watched it but I wasn't in the mood to watch a Giallo at the time so I might give this a spin again soon.

dolemite
05-31-2007, 02:17 PM
It's got a pervert in a wheelchair and a leading ladies whose breasts hang over the movie like a chandelier in a whorehouse. What's not to like?

blood vamp
05-31-2007, 08:44 PM
my fantasy dream would be a hot lesbian adventure involving deliriums serena grandi and argentinas isabel sarli. i can imagine what sarli would have looked like in a giallo. awesome!

Novosibirsk
10-12-2008, 10:29 PM
Fun little flick...but the audio is so wretched, lots of hiss, audible pops and crackles. It also has a "made for TV" look about it.

And the interviews are always so awkward on these ShriekShow discs.