PDA

View Full Version : Rhett's Halloween Top Ten 2005

rhett
11-01-2005, 07:51 AM
Rhett's Halloween List 2005

As Hollywood horror seems to have stalled recently due to sequelitus and remakemortis, Iíve found myself increasingly turning to Europe for my scares. They have such a diverse body of horror films of all makes and models that it is tough to know where to start. This year has no doubt been a banner year for European horror on DVD, as we've seen some great releases by Blue Underground, Shriek Show, Criterion, Anchor Bay, Lions Gate and NoShame, to name a few. So this year, instead of giving you my usual list of the top ten movies I recommend for the day of the pumpkin, the theme this year will be European.

http://www.horrordvds.com/reviews/n-z/venusinfurs/venusinfurs_fronts.jpg

10. Venus in Furs (1969)

This Jess Franco neo-noir is the perfect thing to pop in to start off your Halloween party. Laced with good jazz music and a meandering and redundant plot, itís the perfect movie to have playing in the background as you focus on other things. That way the jazz music can kick the night up a bit, and the hallucinogenic visuals can kick off North Americaís craziest night. If ever there was a movie to watch while not paying attention, it is a Jess Franco movie. His movies seem to get better the less critical attention you give them. So pop in Venus in Furs and let the night begin.

http://www.horrordvds.com/reviews/n-z/totdn/totdn_fs.jpg

9. Twitch of the Death Nerve (1971)

From Franco we move to Bava, in what is probably his most accessible and most violent film. Twitch of the Death Nerve exhibits all the style that Bava was known for, as well as all the gore that the slasher film was known for. It is a fusion of old and new, and its legacy continues with every backwoods camp slasher movie that follows in its wake. It is short and brisk, and playful enough to watch before the night kicks into the more serious bits of October horror. For added fun, let the kiddies watch the finale.

http://www.horrordvds.com/reviews/n-z/ntm/ntm_fronts.jpg

8. Night Train Murders (1975)

Nothing says Halloween like a rape revenge story. The autumn backdrop and folky theme song give it a festive Halloween mood, but itís the cold and unflinching story that really gives the film its worth. Ennio Morriconeís brooding harmonica score suggests a horror as lurking as trick or treaters on Hallowís Eve, and Aldo Ladoís direction gives the whole thing substance. He made quite the contribution to Italian cinema between this and his two gialli, Short Night of Glass Dolls and Who Saw Her Die?, but Night Train Murders remains his best. Itís a film that broods in the barren autumn landscape, and even if the film is cold, it fits the mood perfectly.

http://www.horrordvds.com/reviews/misc/h2k5/catpeople.jpg

7. Cat People (1942)

A Hollywood production, sure, but deep down this is a French meditation on suppression and lust. Both director Jacques Tourneur and star Simone Simon hailed from Eiffel country, and they lend the film an exotic elegance that has rarely been achieved in Hollywood before or since. The whole production embodies the central metaphor of Halloween: the duality between wholesome appearances and ghoulish desires. On the surface Simon is proper and polite, but deep down lurks the longing of the beast. The inspired use of shadows pays homage to another seminal European horror film, Nosferatu, but itís the elegance that sets Cat People apart. The recent Val Lewton collection has finally given this film the release it deserves, and thereís no better time to celebrate it than tonight.

http://www.horrordvds.com/reviews/a-m/blinddead/blinddead_tfronts.jpg

6. Tombs of the Blind Dead (1971)

Another anticipated fall release, Tombs of the Blind Dead is a haunting and original work from Spain, infusing your typical Romero zombies with deep mystical underpinnings. The Blind Dead themselves are a macabre creation, and their foreboding death march, whether on foot or on slow-motion horseback, is instantly memorable. Every Halloween horror list needs a zombie film, and zombies donít get much better than they do here. It is a fun enough movie, and one that again can be enjoyed with or without sound, but whether you are listening or not is irrelevant, those knights templar will slowly creep into the subconscious.

http://www.horrordvds.com/reviews/a-m/liaws/liaws_fronts.jpg

5. Lizard in a Woman's Skin (1971)

You canít represent Europe without a little bit of Fulci, and Lizard in a Womanís Skin is yet another great European horror film released on DVD this year. More than just metaphor, it actual features some eerie scenes of people in mask, as the lead character bombards herself with hallucinations. The whole film has a psychological perplexity to it, as well as Fulciís trademark boobs and blood excess. This film contains some of Fulciís craziest imagery, from a mad honking duck to eviscerated dogs hung from bedposts. The whole film is a parade of ghastly images and conceptions, and the perfect treat for a night of unpredictable doorbell horrors.

http://www.horrordvds.com/reviews/a-m/dracula1972/dracula1972_fronts.jpg

4. Dracula A.D. 1972 (1972)

A horror-a-thon doesnít feel complete without a sťance, and Dracula A.D. 1972 captures that fun, old fashioned scary movie feel with swinginí perfection. A European list wouldnít be complete without some Hammer, and Warnerís recent release of the film is finally giving people a chance to enjoy this underappreciated Dracula entry. Itís got Cushing and Lee back together again, and even more ďgroovy, man!Ē hippies than Lizard in a Womanís Skin. More fun than freaky, itís the perfect film to throw in when the night calls for old fashioned horror movie fun.

http://www.horrordvds.com/reviews/a-m/tension/tension_fronts.jpg

3. High Tension (2003)

Even if European horror thrived and died in the seventies, High Tension is proof that good genre films can still be resurrected from the remains of the seventies legacy. Perfectly channeling seminal seventies classics like the fitting Halloween, Tension is a perfect throwback to a time when great stories could be told through style rather than story. Tension is a high octane suspense ride, with enough gore by the bucket to satisfy Ed Gein. It may not be explicitly set on Halloween, but in its stylistic similarity to Carpenterís film, it more than feels suitable for tonightís night of horror.

http://www.horrordvds.com/reviews/misc/h2k5/eyes.jpg

2. Eyes Without a Face (1959)

Like Tourneurís Cat People, Eyes Without a Face is another elegant French concoction that sort of sneaks up on you. It presents itself quietly and subtly throughout, like a quaint period dramaÖthat is until you realize it is about a doctor making flesh masks for his deformed daughter. It seems to artsy and pretty to be wholly scary, but the final sequence of liberation is certainly one of the most hauntingly beautiful sequences in all of horror. For anyone looking at a more cerebral and affecting horror movie this year, the involving mask of Eyes Without a Face is the perfect fit. The fantastic Criterion DVD makes this an even more enticing film to dress your DVD player in this Halloween.

http://www.horrordvds.com/reviews/a-m/halloween5/halloween5_fs.jpg

1. Halloween 5 (1989)

My Halloween pick every year has naturally been my favorite horror film, John Carpenterís Halloween, but the European underpinnings of this list make doing so again an impossibility. Instead, I am going to suggest people give Dominique Othenin-Girardís Halloween 5 another shot. Although officially American, it rings with a European sensibility throughout thanks to Frenchman Girardís exciting visual style. The ďunderrated classicĒ card has already been played one too many times on Halloween III, but there is equal much to admire with this fifth Halloween sequel. Sure, itís got those laughable keystone cops and the inexplicable man in black, but strong characters or plotting has never been a European forte. People donít watch Argento or Fulci for story, so neither should they for Halloween 5. The Revenge of Michael Myers is filled with style, from its first inward shots of a pumpkin being carved to the expressionistically lit wheat field chase at the end. The stalking sequences pack a real punch, and the equally stylish laundry chute sequence is one of the highpoints of the series. Michaelís mask looks grisly and creepy, and the one-two-three punch of Donald Pleasence, Ellie Cornell and Danielle Harris give Michael some worthy adversaries. The second and fourth installments of the series were enjoyable adherences to formula, but this fifth film continues to ring with a freshness. It is an at times unrelentingly bleak experience, but Othenin-Girdard isnít afraid to try new things with the formula, and between the twists and the style, Halloween 5 is a film fit for reappraisal.

Hellbilly
11-01-2005, 08:06 AM
Interesting list. 5 of those I still need to see and Halloween 4, 5 and 6 are still missing in my collection, damnit.

DefJeff
11-01-2005, 08:24 AM
Fantastic list Rhett, it's enough to make Michael shed another tear.

onebyone
11-01-2005, 08:52 AM
Interesting list rhett, filled with movies I love (High Tension), need to see (Venus in Furs ), or plan on avoiding forever (Night Train Murders). However, you do lose 20 points for tardiness.

indiephantom
11-01-2005, 02:18 PM
Good stuff!! I agree that "Halloween 5" is overlooked and very cool. I bought "Night Train Murders" way back when it came out and it's still on my "to watch" list.

Workshed
11-01-2005, 07:01 PM
Cat People! Good call.

MorallySound
11-01-2005, 07:27 PM
Where's the Ernest Scared Stupid? Seriously.

David Lo Pan
11-01-2005, 08:17 PM
Great list, Rhett. Much better and more appealing than Paff's.

Myron Breck
11-01-2005, 08:26 PM
Where's the Ernest Scared Stupid? Seriously.

"How about a bumper sandwich, booger-lips?" :lol:

Yes, excellent list!!! I agree that HALLOWEEN 5 is often overlooked because it didn't adhere to the formula as HALLOWEEN 4 had done. I prefer 5 because of it.

RyanPC
11-01-2005, 11:18 PM
Great list, I like every single movie on it, with the exception of Dracula A.D. 1972 because I haven't seen it yet.

EDIT: That's strange, why is my sig not showing up in this post?

Agent Z
11-02-2005, 12:17 AM
A mixed list for me, although I agree with most of the selections. I just couldn't recommend Halloween 5 myself...unless it's for a Halloween completist. I mean, that franchise cow has been dry for some time, and yet they keep trying to milk it. Let it go.

Major props for including Eyes Without a Face, a film that is both haunting and tragic. I was really impressed with it. I wish Luna would just watch it already.

Noto
11-02-2005, 12:54 AM
Its a good thing that this was posted 9 minutes before November 1st (Mountain Time) it gave me ample time to prepare.

bigwes15
11-02-2005, 02:47 AM
I agree that Halloween 5 is a great movie, although I would still put it behind 1 (obviously), 4, 2, and 6. It is light years ahead of 7 and 8, though and is a solid film.

Noto
11-02-2005, 05:17 AM
it rings with a European sensibility throughout thanks to Frenchman Girardís exciting visual style.

There is much truth to your statement. Upon recently rewatching Halloween 5, I decided it couldn't be any more Fellini-esque unless Michael himself was holding the camera.

rhett
11-02-2005, 05:21 AM
There is much truth to your statement. Upon recently rewatching Halloween 5, I decided it couldn't be any more Fellini-esque unless Michael himself was holding the camera.
You want European isolation and alienation? Michael cries in this one. Tears of angst. Tears of oppression. Tears of sadness. But they are our tears. When will we break from the shackles of control?

Noto
11-02-2005, 05:33 AM
You want European isolation and alienation? Michael cries in this one. Tears of angst. Tears of oppression. Tears of sadness. But they are our tears. When will we break from the shackles of control?

I think it clashes well against Halloween Resurrection which took a rather American obsession with televised reality (as opposed to neo-realism) through special attention to the Internet and altered it to fit into the dynamics of the franchise.

It is also interesting to note how while Resurrection was unsuccessful in developing this theme, a similar film titled FearDotCom attempted to 'stir the same pot' only make it decidedly more European in style. Even going so far as to get Udo Kier to appear in a reach for foreign market credibility.

Ultimately, I blame these two films for suffering by the presense of Busta "You look like chicken, fried, muthafucka" Rhymes and a rather stupid and redundantly domained website (http://www.feardotcom.com), respectively.

As it stands, it remains perplexing to me how a country like America, which is obsessed with style has yet to produce a flashy yet talented director that transcends Tony Scott.

But I digress, Halloween 5 is still wicked awesome.

DefJeff
11-02-2005, 09:04 AM
Any movie that has Michael Myers put under arrest, then shown in the county jail (with mask still on mind you), with his head hung in shame definitally deserves a notch on a Halloween movie list. I think that, combined with his crying, solidified the number 1 spot.

old-boo-radley
11-03-2005, 10:40 AM
I loved your list but...

"Nothing says Halloween like a rape revenge story."

I don't think I've ever heard anyone say that before. What exactly about rape/revenge brings forth the joys of Halloween?

The revenge is the trick? :confused:

DefJeff
11-03-2005, 11:42 PM
Hahah, I liked Rhett's quote there, but I think you have it all wrong Old-Boo!

The rape is the trick, the revenge is the treat. Just check out I Spit on Your Grave and Thriller!

jak
11-14-2005, 10:20 PM
Seriously, Halloween 5? That made me laugh, I mean come on; how could this cliche and uninspiring slasher film be any better then the superb Eyes Without A Face?

Makes me glad I don't come here for the reviews. People forget the films they enjoyed as a kid are at times not nearly as good as they remember, mainly because of that naivety and inexperience that children possess.

I mean really, were you high when you added Halloween 5 to that list?

Ash28M
11-14-2005, 11:02 PM
Seriously, Halloween 5? That made me laugh, I mean come on; how could this cliche and uninspiring slasher film be any better then the superb Eyes Without A Face?

Makes me glad I don't come here for the reviews. People forget the films they enjoyed as a kid are at times not nearly as good as they remember, mainly because of that naivety and inexperience that children possess.

I mean really, were you high when you added Halloween 5 to that list?

It's not a Top ten list jackass.

jak
11-14-2005, 11:29 PM
It's not a Top ten list jackass.

Actually it is, it's the name of the thread; what part of 'Rhett's Halloween Top Ten 2005' didn't you understand?

RyanPC
11-15-2005, 12:46 AM
Actually it is, it's the name of the thread; what part of 'Rhett's Halloween Top Ten 2005' didn't you understand?

No, Ash meant that it's not a top ten all-time favorites list... it's only a list for this Halloween, and it changes every year. Because Rhett always has Halloween as his top movie every year, he chose Halloween 5 as a change of pace and because this year's theme is Eurohorror. Halloween 5 has a European style to it, moreso than any of the other Halloween films. If you had actually read what he had to say about the film, I think you'd know that by now. ;)

I don't care for Halloween 5, though, so I'm not defending the film by any means. :D

rhett
11-15-2005, 01:30 AM
There is no question that EYES WITHOUT A FACE is a superior film in all respects to HALLOWEEN 5. It is a celebrated relic of horror, and with good measure. HALLOWEEN 5 however, has faced much dissent, including your aggressively staged criticism, and is one that I feel does not get the respect it deserves. Like Ryan already pointed out, I picked HALLOWEEN 5 as the number one horror film that I'd be watching this Halloween. Not that it is a better film, or even a better Halloween-themed film than the others on this list, but for this year, at this particular time, it was the film I felt deserved the strongest recommendation.

You don't read reviews often here, and it shows. Again, like Ryan said, I was trying to mix things up in order to keep this year's recommendations fresh. You can go to MSN.com or ABCnews.com and get your boring "definitive" horror lists that cite PSYCHO, SUSPIRIA, and DAWN OF THE DEAD as the greatest horror films ever made, but really, what is that telling you that you as a horror fan don't already know. I could do the same list every year of my favorites, and it would be nothing but repetetive and boring. What I am trying to do here is mix things up enough to let people in on horror films they might have overlooked. The picks are often far from the popular pick, but that's my opinion, I've defended it, and hopefully it will persuade others to check out less conventional options, like HALLOWEEN 5 or NIGHT TRAIN MURDERS.

If you want to be spoon fed popular opinion or get your tastes reaffirmed by the uninformed majority, then the IMDb forums are always waiting.

As for nostalgia clouding my choices, you're entirely off the mark there. While it is no doubt an issue for all film lovers (I've enjoyed GHOULIES GO TO COLLEGE since childhood but could never reasonably defend it, thus you won't see it making any of my lists), it is something I consciously avoid falling onto as a crutch. I try to look at things critically, and as many forum members know, sometimes too critically. It's been only about five years or so since I first saw HALLOWEEN 5, and it's been a film that's lingered for me. Not for nostalgia, but based on style and execution, and to me it's one of the more interesting entries into the series. If you actually read my review you'd know this, so I'll spare the defense.

If you disagree with my opinions, fine, we've all got our own and differences are a facet of experiencing art. In fact, I appreciate when there is disagreement, since it can facilitate the best debate and learning. When you attempt to belittle though, it kills conversation and just makes you come across as ignorant. Was I high? Really, if you are talking about the "cliched and uninspiring" it doesn't get much worse than that. Well, okay, it does (http://imdb.com/title/tt0063350/board/flat/28977970). Say "hi" for me.

Mok
01-02-2006, 07:57 PM
I picked Halloween 5 up used the other day based on your recomendation Rhett. You were right about the stylish elements going on. And yeah, when you watch it thinking "Europian horror" you get it better. Still though, it isn't Halloween 4, the best of the series in my eyes, and since 4 was my fave, 5 had a lot to live up to when I saw it as a kid. I'm glad I revisited it and now own it though - thanks.