PDA

View Full Version : Favorite "type" of Horror film

Peter Vincent
10-01-2001, 06:03 PM
Hey guys & ghouls, you're local neighborhood Vampire Killer here wondering what type of horror most tickles horrordvds.com's fancy!

This is my first poll EVER, so don't be quick to diss!!! I hope I covered all subject matter! Vote away guys!

Yowie
10-01-2001, 08:06 PM
Wow !. I'm a big fan of the haunted house genre, so it's good to see it getting so many votes.

EVIL-SINNER
10-01-2001, 08:10 PM
i have a soft spot for anything zombie. so my vote had to go with Zombies.

jas1081
10-01-2001, 08:35 PM
It was a tough call but I had to go with the serial killer, I just love that Michael Myers! He is the man!

Peter Vincent
10-01-2001, 10:48 PM
Cool! I didn't know i can vote myself! So I also voted 'Haunted House', they don't get much play nowadays, but I got a soft spot for them. (though I luv offing those VAMPIRES).

Bottom line...I like 'em all, but I didn't put that choice on the poll 'cause I'm sure all of U would vote that!

Mark Relford
10-01-2001, 10:52 PM
Slashers and anthologies would be next.
Nice poll, Mr. Vincent.

AceRimRat
10-01-2001, 11:35 PM
Slashers are my fave, so I voted for serial killers.

Gotta second the HackMaster's "nice poll"!

skinnypuppy6
10-02-2001, 03:24 AM
I voted zombies because you didnt list LESBIAN VAMPIRES :)

rhett
10-02-2001, 06:31 AM
I've gotta go with the Serial Killer genre, but I really like Zombie and Demonic Possession films too. Let me be the third to say, nice poll!

Peter Vincent
10-02-2001, 03:09 PM
Wow! Thanks guys! I really appreciate the feed back! :D

Looks like Cereal...er...I mean Serial Killer films are in the lead!

Erg0n
10-02-2001, 04:09 PM
Evil Spirits/Ghosts
I guess it's because I wish to become one.
So I can haunt people, for fun. When I'm not a peepping tom with the ladies...

ahahahahahaahhahhaahah

Hellbilly
10-02-2001, 05:32 PM
i got a weak spot for things from outer space...the slimy, the better :) it doesn't matter if it got class, or trash, i just love 'em...

cool poll Mr. Vincent!!!:D

mcchrist
10-02-2001, 06:05 PM
Technically, the typical slasher film is not a serial killer film, it is a mass murderer film. A serial killer film is something like Henry: Portrait of Serial Killer or Citizen X, etc. There is a definite line between the two. My favorite type of horror film were the silent/early talkie era.

mcchrist
10-02-2001, 08:08 PM
OK, now that I'm back from lunch and out of class I can write about this in a little more detail. The slasher film usually deals with a character that indiscriminatley brutally murders random individuals, what we are dealing with is a mass murderer. The serial killer film (this includes the vast majority of gialli; like New York Ripper, Tenebre, etc. etc. American films like Maniac, Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer, etc.) the killer is not indiscriminate, his/her victims are carefully chosen to enact out either a self-proclaimed prophecy, enact out a fetish of one sort or another, etc. The victim is chosen to play a role, in this way a serial killer is attempting to repair something that may have happened to him/ her in the past, or the serial killer is performing some sort of self-appointed duty for society, among other complex issues. Michael Myers has some serial killer attributes as his fetish towards his sister, however he is killing indiscriminatly throughout the franchise. The details can be argued at length because even though he seems to be killing indiscriminatly, he is also hell bent on killing his sister, etc. The problem lies is that Michael does not act as if his murders were carefully planned, they seem like an act of opportunity rather than the careful bloodlust towards his sibling. If his motives belonged more along those of a serial killer, he would have been careful, and ultimately the victims would have either been only his sister or stand-ins to role-play the role of sister. This is hinted at briefly in the first Halloween film, example being the gravestone. Perhaps the female victims were such a stand-in, maybe the males were a stand-in for his self-hatred of feeling such perversion. In any case, the idea of the serial killer is soon wiped out with the manifestation of the sequels when it becomes apparent that he is nothing more than a mass murderer (correct me if I'm wrong, its been a long time since I've done research on the subject, and this is convenient because I'm working on an article about the slasher genre and its social significance) Anyway, that my overblown classification of the genre.

As to my idea of the silent/talkie as my favorite type of horror film, all the subjects listed could easily fall as a subgenre within the silent film, but the reason I set it apart is that the style and technique of the era, combined with the fact that there are very few surviving horror films from the early years of cinema, should create a "Type" in itself.

My $.02

Peter Vincent
10-02-2001, 10:13 PM
Your absolutely right! Jesus Mcchrist!!! :p

On the way home yesterday I also thought of another possible "type" of horror...Ocean/Deep Sea Terror....though I doubt anyone would've voted for that as most of the 14 choices I put up have not even been touched!

Well, like I said, it was my 1st poll!