PDA

View Full Version : Cheap-ass Anchor Bay at SamGoody.com

mutleyhyde
01-26-2001, 07:45 AM
What's up with Anchor Bay and SamGoody.com? Several AB titles are listed as discontinued and Sam has them for real cheap. Some of these aren't ABs, but may be of interest...

Alice, Sweet Alice: Special Edition Horror Anchor Bay $7.49
Chamber Of Horrors Horror Roan $11.04
Dawn Of The Dead Horror Anchor Bay $8.49 (this is the Theatrical cut)
Heartbreak Kid Comedy Anchor Bay $8.49 (Young Cybill Shepherd!)
Johnsons Unknown Anchor Bay $7.99
Junior Bonner Western Anchor Bay $7.49 (McQueen/Peckinpah)
Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Brain That Wouldn't Die TV Classics Rhino $9.99
Out Of The Blue: Special Edition Drama Anchor Bay $7.99 (Dennis Hopper!)
Prom Night Horror Anchor Bay $7.99
Raw Deal Action / Adventure Anchor Bay $7.99
Silence Of The Lambs: Criterion Collection Horror Criterion $25.97 (so has this gone oop or what???)
Stepford Wives Horror Anchor Bay $7.99
Vigilante: Special Edition Action / Adventure Anchor Bay $8.49

If you'll remember, I had great luck earlier this month ordering Heathers and Crimes of Passion from Sam Goody. I know a SE of Heathers is coming, but for 8 bucks, what the hell. I'm off to do research on these titles to see if they're going to be re-released in SEs, and then place my order. Does anybody know what titles here may be up for SE treatment? If you're interested in the whole list, go to www.dvdpricesearch.com (http://www.dvdpricesearch.com) , go all the way to the bottom of the main page, clck on the drop down menu for "view titles priced lowest at..." and selest SamGoody.com.

------------------
"When I go to confession, I don't offer God small sins - petty squables, jealousies - I offer him sins worth forgiving!"

May the Hammer eternally bleed!
M. Hyde

[This message has been edited by mutleyhyde (edited 01-26-2001).]

ilsa
01-26-2001, 01:29 PM
Thanks for the tip,picked up
The Johnsons for under $3.00
with what was left on a SG gift
card.

As for SOL being out of print it
could be months before criterion
makes it official but according to:
http://www.criteriondvd.com/home.asp

SOL,Robocop and The Unbearable
Lightness Of Being are now oop.

Rumor? maybe, but they were on
the money about Sid and Nancy,
Hard Boiled,The Killer and 400
Blows going oop way before
criterion website listed them
as oop "Officially"

Dave
01-26-2001, 02:18 PM
I also heard, unofficially, that SOL was out of print. It's probably going to disappear quickly after Hannibal is released, plus Anchor Bay releases Manhunter next week. After watching Manhunter I realized that I definitely need to own SOL - it's been years since I've seen it. I'm going to pickup the Criterion SE soon. Probably from SamGoody.

------------------
David W. Anderson - dave@horrordvds.com
Webmaster - www.horrordvds.com (http://www.horrordvds.com)

Jason Reynolds
01-26-2001, 02:50 PM
There's a few titles there I don't have yet. Thanks for the post!

-Jason

Salisnoir
01-26-2001, 07:15 PM
Shouldn't this be in the bargains folder?

JBENE
01-26-2001, 07:16 PM
I'm a manager at SUNCOAST VIDEO and we also are selling alot of cheap AB DVD'S.Alot are out of print and alot are just overstock titles that they are just getting rid of.I've seen cheap prices on

THE EXTERMINATOR
THE JOHNSONS
INVADERS FROM MARS(86)

Dave
01-26-2001, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by Salisnoir:
Shouldn't this be in the bargains folder?

Yes, but not many people use the Bargains area. Normally I'd move it but considering that forum hasn't been used in a month I'm probably going to close it soon. Then people can just post bargains here...

------------------

ArrowBeach
01-26-2001, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by Mark Relford:
Anchor Bay has plans for a re-release of Lustig's Vigilante.

Of course, Lustig is the president of the company,so he will re-release all his films every few years, priority over the others, I'll bet! Maybe a tin versions of his films in a few years! http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/rolleyes.gif Wish he would hurry up on films like ZOMBIE or others instead of his films.

mutleyhyde
01-26-2001, 10:07 PM
Glad to be of service guys and gals! One more thing though. I ordered Unbearable Lightness of Being from DVDEmpire this morning at 4:00 a.m. (Dallas time). It shipped today! Having got it at the Empire, I paid a pretty penny, but if it's Criterion and possibly o.o.p., I gotta have it! And, Unbearable is a pretty hot little movie anyway. Lena Olin... m-m-m-mama!

It's a shame that the bargains section is pretty dead. The cause of this is that the online coupons that were sooo prevalent through all of last year have dried up to nothingness over the last year. Where is poor Fizban, the half-witted bargain hunter now when we need him most?

I posted this here more because of the urgency in the matter, and not so much the bargain factor. The post is more about last chances at o.o.p titles. I thought everyone would be interested to know that Silence was still "probably" available at SamGoody.com (jump on it NOW Dave). I say probably, as I already have my copy and don't need to order another one, so I can't personally confirm that they still have copies (as I CAN confirm that Empire has Unbearable), but I can testify that they sent me o.o.p. copies of Heathers and Crimes of Passion no problem. Somebody give it a go and let us know if Silence can still be had by means other than *gasp* ePay.

BTW Mark, what do you know of the new Vigilante? If the only diff is that it'll be 16X9, I'll probably go with the cheapie. The current one has a commentary and is letterboxed at 2.35:1. Guess I'll try and go wade through the craggy quagmire that is AnchorBayEntertainment.com untill I hear from you. Also, let me know how Alice is if you get it. I've been wondering myself. And as for Lustig, he should definitely be getting a better edition of Maniac out before another Vigilante!!

------------------
"When I go to confession, I don't offer God small sins - petty squables, jealousies - I offer him sins worth forgiving!"

May the Hammer eternally bleed!
M. Hyde

[This message has been edited by mutleyhyde (edited 01-26-2001).]

Mark Relford
01-26-2001, 11:45 PM
I wholeheartedly agree about Zombie, Maniac, etc. taking prominence over Vigilante. Hell, it would be nice if AB would get the rights to the OOP Maniac Cop! (I'm sure they will.)

M. Hyde, checked out their ill site and found out the re-release will be THX approved with 6.1 Dolby Digital audio.
Amazon has SOTL for $33.49 with a 24 hour availability. Some people have it for sale at the Amazon marketplace for $64.99! http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/rolleyes.gif
Hope everyone gets a copy at Sam Goody, cause that's a damn good deal for a great disc! http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/smile.gif

------------------
"Have you ever had an Egyptian feast?"

"They're back from the grave and ready to party!"

[This message has been edited by Mark Relford (edited 01-26-2001).]

Mark Relford
01-27-2001, 06:00 AM
M. Hyde, thanks for the post. I'm going to pick up Alice, Sweet Alice. (Haven't seen it, worth picking up for the cheap price.)

Anchor Bay has plans for a re-release of Lustig's Vigilante.

------------------
"Have you ever had an Egyptian feast?"

"They're back from the grave and ready to party!"

Chunkblower5000
01-28-2001, 05:50 AM
I've picked up The Johnsons and Jess Franco's Succubus at Suncoast for $9.99. I've also heard of people finding the out of print Tombs of the Blind Dead/Return of the Blind Dead double feature for $9.99 as well!!

Dave
01-28-2001, 06:08 AM
I'd love to pick up SOTL Criterion but I'm too poor to get it right now. http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/frown.gif That's what happens when you go to college and pay for it yourself!

Anyway, I wouldn't mind paying $50-$60 down the road if I had to. But I figure I can always pick up the SOTL Criterion laserdisc, which sells for reasonable prices, if I wanted it that bad. The DVD is a direct port so it's really no difference to me.

------------------

Vincent Pina
01-29-2001, 02:56 AM
I got a chance to pick up Tombs of the Blind Dead double bill for $9.99 at Suncoast and I'm stoked. I traveled downstairs to Sam Goody and they had one copy of SOTL Criterion, and I had the clerk ring it up to see if it was on sale, but it rang up 39.99. I guess that's website special only.

joltaddict
01-30-2001, 03:28 AM
Sorely tempted to pick up Prom Night but I have heard this is one of the worst transfers ever. I guess I can wait.

Alice, Sweet Alice is a steal at this price, cool, creepy, little movie.

Jason25
02-02-2001, 06:05 AM
I ordered Alice, Sweet Alice and Prom Night on Sunday and got them in the mail today. I'll have to watch them this weekend.

Thanks for the information about the prices mutleyhyde.

joltaddict
02-02-2001, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by Jason25:
I'll have to watch them this weekend.

Post how Prom Night looks for me if it's not too much trouble.

Jason25
02-02-2001, 06:20 AM
Not a problem, I'll definitely let you know how it looks and sounds.

betterdan
02-03-2001, 12:23 AM
I bought Tombs of the blind dead/return of the blind dead, Alice sweet alice, Vigilante and Suicide kings at suncoast all for $9.99 each. I bought prom night a long time ago. It's video isn't the greatest but ok the sound is good. If you like this movie then buy it because I doubt it will ever get a special edition treatment unless anchor bay plans on redoing the transfer and that's why it's oop. The price is cheap and the video is ok just a little grainy. The only really bad part was when the girl was hiding in a closet or whatever at the school and they showed the killers feet walking it was REALLY grainy. It looked different from the rest of the movie like they took that scene from a different print. Oh well I'm still glad I own it.