PDA

View Full Version : Dolby Digital or DTS? Which Audio Soundtrack Do U Prefer?

Peter Vincent
10-02-2001, 04:18 PM
Hey guys, Peter here again! Just wanted to see which DVD audio soundtrack you horror freaks prefer to hear, Dolby Digital or DTS?

The reason I ask is because I'm considering shelling out some $$$ to upgrade my 1st generation RCA player (with the 5.1 DD hookups) for the JVC XV-SA70BK progressive player which has a built-in DTS Decoder (so I don't have to shell out for a new receiver as well). I know most of 'youse' guys are DVD enthusiaists & most of U have the equipment to compare the two. If U vote, let me know why you prefer the DVD audio option U chose. Thanks ahead of time to all who vote here!

*By the way, I know this poll isn't necessarily "horror-related" and I tried posting this poll in the 'Off Topic' section, but it didn't give me an option to post a poll!

gunner
10-02-2001, 05:53 PM
DTS sounds much better than Dolby Digital (I don't have an EX receiver so I can only give my opinion on 5.1). Less compression is used with dts pressings,so the sound is much richer with improved dynamic range.But,to tell you the truth a dts laserdisc's audio blows any dvd out of the water.But I've noticed newer dvd's are starting to sound better and better so perhaps dvd's will someday equal laserdisc in the audio department.

Andrew
10-02-2001, 09:43 PM
I dunno 'bout the technical stuff, but I love DTS. Stuff like Jaws and Maniac sound AWESOME. Definitely worth the upgrade.

Peter Vincent
10-02-2001, 10:18 PM
I just got word that my brand new JVC player has come in today, so I'll be installing that puppy 2night!

:D
*excitement*

Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to put my $0.02 and vote about this DD vs. DTS thang!

I wonder what's a good DTS-DVD to try out for the 1st time? Perhaps the enhanced Predator or Gladiator? Ah, who carez!!! I'll try 'em all!!!!

betterdan
10-03-2001, 12:44 AM
DTS for me!

Peter Vincent
10-03-2001, 04:33 PM
Whoah! I just hooked up my new player yesterday and Wowee!!!! The DTS soundtrack on both Predator & Terminator 2: UE blew me away!

I had to vote DTS myself!!!

Dave
10-04-2001, 06:59 PM
DTS laserdisc owns all. I've never noticed much difference between DTS DVD and DD5.1 DVD. Could just be my equipment...

RAYMOND BUSH
10-05-2001, 05:38 AM
Comparisons are kind of trickey. You gotta make sure to have the exact settings for both. Sometimes DTS decoders have more bass therefoe making a DTS soundtrack more pleasing. Also DOLBY DIGITAL has some kind of enhancement thing that DTS does not have.