PDA

View Full Version : Which Spielberg horror film do you like better?

Cujo108
10-03-2001, 04:55 AM
Both of these are classics in my book! Pick which one you think is better.

Mark Relford
10-03-2001, 05:54 AM
Both are classics, but Duel is a personal favorite. Spielberg and Matheson gave us one nail biter of a story. Pretty damn good for a TV movie! Even Spielberg haters might enjoy it.

RAYMOND BUSH
10-04-2001, 04:43 AM
He makes horror movies? Oh yeah, there's HOOK, 1942, and ALWAYS!! Really though I love Spielberg, but is he really a horror director? He makes thrillers, I'd say. All true horror films have:
GORE, VIOLENCE, ODDNESS, and R RATINGS. The only real Spielberg movie I'd call a horror film is perhaps Saving Private Ryan. The first 20 minutes are horrific. WAR IS HELL! Jaws, Duel, JP, and other Spielberg flicks offer some great scary moments. Still not horror though.

Cujo108
10-04-2001, 11:18 PM
Sorry, but Duel and Jaws are both horror films in my opinion. They are the only two horror films he has ever made.

rhett
10-05-2001, 03:21 AM
Well...he kind of made Poltergeist, but that's another story :)

I love Duel, but kind of suffers because it is a TV film and lacks the gloss of a widescreen production. I pick Jaws overall based on its beautiful photography, memorable score, and some truly great dialogue, not to mention the classic story.

I love how Spielberg used to truck sound from Duel for the shark sounds in Jaws too!

Mario77
10-09-2001, 09:47 PM
I chose Duel though I love Jaws equally. They are both such fine films but since Duel has been announced as an upcoming 2002 Special Edition , I figure I would honor it with my vote. Go to the link I provided in the General Forum to link to future realease announcements from all the major studios.

keith70
10-10-2001, 07:18 AM
Speilberg did do one other horror movie. He did a film called Something Evil back in the early 70's. It was a made for tv movie, but so was Duel. He also directed several episodes of Rod Serling's(Twilight Zone) Night Gallery.

Out of the ones listed, I think Duel is more enjoyable than Jaws to me, but Jaws definitely influenced quite a few directors. There is a parody of Jaws at the begining of Airplane. Lethal Weapon 2, National Lampoon's Loaded Weapon, Chasing Amy and a few other films copy the scene wear the two characters are comparing their scars and trying to top the other.

Chucky P
10-20-2001, 12:35 AM
It has to be JAWS hands down

MovieFan
10-20-2001, 06:40 AM
Duel, hands down.

Now if Poltergeist was in this poll... :)

slasher vorhees
03-13-2003, 01:38 AM
Im going with jaws since its one of his first movies ive seen its a classic i love the explosion at the end:)

moogong
03-13-2003, 03:39 AM
Jaws..I still dont go in the water.

Eddie Quist
03-13-2003, 03:40 AM
DUEL's a rad movie, but JAWS is one of my all-time favorites, since I first started watching movies... I can't believe I forgot to put it on my list in the other thread.

Agent Z
03-13-2003, 07:41 AM
C'mon! What are you guys smoking?!? I love DUEL, but it is definitely a notch below JAWS.

John
03-13-2003, 12:36 PM
Jaws is too great of a flick to pass on.

Broken
03-14-2003, 11:53 PM
Jaws

The Chaostar
03-22-2003, 04:51 PM
Duel. Jaws is much more Impressive (and more expensive of course) but Duel delivers thanx to clever film making. Jaws is a great film, but personality goes a long way.

Atmims
03-22-2003, 06:28 PM
Didn't Steven Speilberg direct Poltergeist? It's my favorite Speilberg movie, I guess.

Jaws WAS good but it's came on TNT and TBS so many times and little brother watched it almost every time I'm sick of it. Never saw Duel.

John
03-22-2003, 08:11 PM
Didn't Steven Speilberg direct Poltergeist?

He basically did. Tobe Hooper is the official director, but Speilberg had to give 'creative input'. It is very similar to Zombi 3 (Fulci & Mattei) in the sense that it is a 'shared' project.

I finally finished Duel. My Tivo had only caught half of it the first time I tried to watch it. I finally saw the rest. It was a good flick, but I still prefer Jaws.

Grim
03-23-2003, 06:36 PM
I picked Jaws, but didn't he direct 1/4 of The Twilight Zone movie. The first segment i think, where that actor and two kids actually died. I remember the footage of them dying being shown on HBO awhile back. Gross stuff. Anywho, Jaws is bad ass.

Andrew
03-23-2003, 09:05 PM
Nah, Landis directed that segment and had to deal with the aftermath (no pun intended) of the accident with legal problems, court cases, etc.

I'm really surprised that footage was actually shown though, and on HBO no less. I thought it was destroyed, but I guess not.

rhett
03-23-2003, 09:34 PM
I am pretty sure Spielberg directed the pussy segment on THE TWILIGHT ZONE, the one with the old guy and happiness and all that sentimental stuff.

Agent Z
03-23-2003, 09:48 PM
I am pretty sure Spielberg directed the pussy segment on THE TWILIGHT ZONE, the one with the old guy and happiness and all that sentimental stuff.

Ouch! Not a fan of the classic "Kick the Can"?

Andrew
03-24-2003, 12:43 AM
Ah how could you be.

Agent Z
03-24-2003, 06:50 AM
Ah how could you be.

"how could you be"..............(what?) :confused: :confused:

KillerCannabis
03-25-2003, 10:57 AM
Jaws all the way. I'm scared shitless of sharks, but I love to watch them eat people on film.

onebyone
09-05-2005, 06:10 AM
C'mon! What are you guys smoking?!? I love DUEL, but it is definitely a notch below JAWS.

BUMP to agree with Cody's post from a long time ago. As much as I love Duel, Jaws is one of the few horror movies that traumatized me...for life.

Evil Dead Guy
09-05-2005, 06:15 AM
I chose Duel, i also liked Jaws but i prefer Duel.

Erick H.
09-05-2005, 06:19 AM
Both classics of course,but how often do you think of DUEL when you're driving ? Now,how often do you think of JAWS when you're swimming in the ocean ?

Personally,I have to go with JAWS.

thrashard76
09-05-2005, 06:46 AM
Jaws

Cujo108
09-05-2005, 06:50 AM
Considering how I oddly never specified my vote on my own poll, I went with Duel. The film is one huge suspense fest. Weaver's character just never can catch a break! The truck is weathered and menacing. The fact that we never see the driver is a work of brilliance, and it leads to what is possibly the best scene of the film, the one in the diner. The rampant paranoia and execution of that scene is just fantastic. Then there's Weaver, who gives such an endearing performance. He nails his character's inner thoughts and his role in general. All of this set amidst those lonely desert locations that I love so much.

Kolpitz
09-05-2005, 07:21 AM
Tough choice but Jaws won out in the end. I love both of these movies and would grant them both 5 stars though.

dwatts
09-05-2005, 09:22 AM
Wow, a poll from 2001!

Anyhoo, not even close. Jaws.

Damed
09-05-2005, 03:03 PM
I haven't seen Duel, so it's Jaws by default.

satans-sadists
08-02-2007, 08:49 PM
Love both films, but Jaws is one of my all-time favorites. No matter how many times I've seen this, I will never tire of it.

White Worm
08-02-2007, 09:06 PM
Duel

Matt89
08-02-2007, 09:22 PM
I had to choose Jaws because well...Duel isn't a horror film...at all. Jaws isn't much either by today's standards, but when it was released, it was marketed as a horror film. So, yeah I can consider Jaws a horror film. Duel is more of an action/thriller.

~Matt

SpaceAce
08-02-2007, 09:50 PM
Jaws easily....

Ash J. Williams
08-02-2007, 09:57 PM
Poltergeist.

As I understand it, Hooper shouldn't have been credited with direction.

Bobbywoodhogan
08-02-2007, 10:04 PM
Jaws easily, its one of the best films EVER made.

Matt89
08-02-2007, 10:52 PM
Poltergeist.

As I understand it, Hooper shouldn't have been credited with direction.

Yup. Spielberg basically passed on the directing credit to Hooper so it wouldn't conflict with E.T. being released at the same time. There ARE parts of the film, however, that are very Tobe Hooper (the skeletons in the pool, the face-ripping scene) but it's VERY obvious that it was a Spielberg project. I'd say he directed about 85-90% of it.

~Matt

Mark Relford
08-03-2007, 03:49 AM
Believe it or not... The face ripping scene came from Spielberg. Have you seen the E! special on Poltergeist? The lead actors dismissed the notion that Spielberg was the director. They said that Hooper was there everyday. Of course that doesn't mean much... I'm sure that Spielberg had final say on everything.

Matt89
08-03-2007, 04:14 AM
Believe it or not... The face ripping scene came from Spielberg. Have you seen the E! special on Poltergeist? The lead actors dismissed the notion that Spielberg was the director. They said that Hooper was there everyday. Of course that doesn't mean much... I'm sure that Spielberg had final say on everything.

Yeah, that's a bit of a shocker. It just seems like such a Tobe Hooper idea. But the film as a whole has a Spielberg feel. (Especially the opening credits. But you never know, that could've been Hooper's idea? LOL) I still count it as a Spielberg film, though. Through and through. Bet you Spielberg DID have final say on everything cuz, y'know...it's Steven Spielberg. ;)

~Matt

maybrick
08-03-2007, 04:47 AM
Duel did the best it could as a made for TV movie. This is like comparing heavyweights to welters.

maybrick
08-03-2007, 04:51 AM
Yeah, that's a bit of a shocker. It just seems like such a Tobe Hooper idea. But the film as a whole has a Spielberg feel. (Especially the opening credits. But you never know, that could've been Hooper's idea? LOL) I still count it as a Spielberg film, though. Through and through. Bet you Spielberg DID have final say on everything cuz, y'know...it's Steven Spielberg. ;)

~Matt

And theres the fact Spielberg bankrolled the production. He also wrote the movie. But in the studio it was Tobe that did the directing. Compare the opening shot pan out of the corpse in TCM to the opening pan out shot of the TV screen in Poltergeist. That's one prime example of Hooper at work.

othervoice1
08-03-2007, 04:54 AM
had to go with Jaws but Duel is great also- Jaws was a sequal of sorts to Duel going by what Spielberg said

BroodingHope
08-03-2007, 07:47 AM
Personally I like War of the Worlds more than Duel, if you consider that 'horror'. But I don't see Jaws losing to any of Spielberg's flicks.

DrHerbertWest
08-03-2007, 09:25 PM
Duel is ok. Jaws is classic, period, end of sentence.

uradouche
08-03-2007, 10:53 PM
ummm... Schindler's List?