PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Horror of 2005?

rhett
12-28-2005, 06:50 PM
Box office receipts were down substantially this year, but amidst all the Hollywood crisis, horror films continued to thrive. There were a number of top grossing horror films this year, but does that necessarily mean any of them were good? In a year of remakes, foreign imports and homegrown malady, which was your favorite? I've elected to include a number of older films that found their first North American release in 2005. I am sure I've missed some, so let me know early so I can add them to the batch.

Since there are only 20 spots, I've tried to leave out all the movies that nobody seemed to like at all (The Fog, Hide and Shit, etc.) but fear not, those will be on another year end poll. ;)

Evil Dead Guy
12-28-2005, 06:55 PM
The Devil's Rejects, with Land of the Dead in second.

Workshed
12-28-2005, 06:57 PM
Went with "Land," even though I had some major problems with it as a whole. And yes, "The Amityville Horror" remake was decent and fun, in my opinion.

maskull
12-28-2005, 07:03 PM
I can't vote yet as I haven't seen a good chunk of the movies listed and of the ones I've seen, there's nothing much I'd consider best of 2005.

I'll get a few more of these watched this week though so I should be more capable of making a decision then.

KR~!
12-28-2005, 07:14 PM
I am more of a classic horror movie fan, in other words, most of teh stuff that I like and collect is from the 80's, 70's and older.

Of those films I have only seen three:

High Tension
The Devil's Rejects
Saw II

If I were to rate them I would keep that order, so I voted for High Tension, though it should be noted that I am going by the uncut sub version not what actually was released in the US.

Hellbilly
12-28-2005, 07:19 PM
The Devil's Rejects. My fave of 2005.

MorallySound
12-28-2005, 07:20 PM
I'm not gonna vote quite yet, going to see Wolf Creek this weekend, so we'll see. Who knows.

Franco
12-28-2005, 07:24 PM
High Tension having The Devil's Rejects as a close second!

Haven't seen some of the other listed films, though.

allmessedup
12-28-2005, 07:27 PM
DEVIL'S REJECTS first, with LAND OF THE DEAD and SKELETON KEY not far behind.

BTW, the "2005 box office slump" thing is an urban legend of sorts. Ebert's site has an explanation of it.

onebyone
12-28-2005, 07:28 PM
The Devil's Rejects for me. I am also keen on Kairo and High Tension, but having seen them before this year, find it hard to count them. Hence, my second and third favorites of the year are Three...Extremes and The Skeleton Key.

KamuiX
12-28-2005, 08:02 PM
I voted other...The Descent is easily the best horror film of the year, with The Devil's Rejects and Wolf Creek behind. Saw II gets a mention as well. I saw Haute Tension, Three...Extremes, and Kairo WAY before this past year, so I'm not even considering them, even though they're all great films.

Mortis
12-28-2005, 08:27 PM
Easily Land of the Dead.

4Gotten1
12-28-2005, 08:40 PM
I hate to commit to a "favorite", simply because of all the selections from 2005, the three that stand out above the rest are not only very good films, but three very different films in terms of style, context and sub genre, if you will. Those three are: The Devil's Rejects, Land of the Dead, and High Tension. I feel these three films will stand the test of time as great horror films for many reasons. Ultimately I voted for The Devil's Rejects because Rob Zombie accomplished something with this film that many other filmmakers would have failed at, making a great American, super-charged, rock and roll nightmare on celluloid; and pound for pound I think it's a step above the rest (if only slightly above the other two great films of this year).

Gore Lunatic
12-28-2005, 09:27 PM
Land Of The Dead for me as well.

bachmann
12-28-2005, 09:32 PM
The Devilīs rejects closely followed by Land of the dead and the descent

dwatts
12-28-2005, 09:37 PM
There are some major ones there that I have yet to see (Devil's Rejects, Land of the Dead). Of those I have, Haute Tension gets my vote. Cursed was perhaps the worst.

Ash28M
12-28-2005, 09:45 PM
I went with Wolf Creek that film just creeped me out. I may have went with High Tension but I saw it in 2003 so I don't really count it as this year. A top 10 for me would be.

1.Wolf Creek
2.The Descent
3.The Devil's Rejects
4.Saw 2
5.Three...Extremes
6.Land of the Dead
7.Amityville Horror
8.House of wax
9.Dark Water
Tie 10.The Skeleton Key
10.The Exorcism of Emily Rose

This has been the best year of the decade by far IMO.

Shannafey
12-28-2005, 09:50 PM
Out of the ones posted, definitely Land of the Dead!

studio1
12-28-2005, 09:59 PM
Land of the Dead & The Descent

hell ya!
12-28-2005, 09:59 PM
I went with Land of the Dead but The Devil's Rejects is right up there with it.

rhett
12-28-2005, 10:02 PM
The Descent has been added. Sorry to exclude it.

henrychinaski
12-28-2005, 10:03 PM
The Devil's Rejects. That's definitely it.

Shokk
12-29-2005, 01:18 AM
From the ones i have seen,i'd have to go with Land Of The Dead...even though the whole Big Daddy thing..irked me.

betterdan
12-29-2005, 01:29 AM
The Devil's Rejects followed closely by High Tension.

thrashard76
12-29-2005, 01:42 AM
The Devil's Rejects

evildeadfan123
12-29-2005, 02:20 AM
Devil's Rejects, then Land Of The Dead.

badnewsbrown
12-29-2005, 02:21 AM

lethalkrs
12-29-2005, 02:36 AM
Devil's Rejects first.

Land and High Tension tied for second.

fceurich39
12-29-2005, 02:51 AM
land of the dead
devil's rejects
house of wax

ZoSo
12-29-2005, 03:15 AM
1) Devil's Rejects
2) High Tension
3) Land of the Dead

The Fog should be on there for shits & giggles :)

allmessedup
12-29-2005, 03:19 AM
I liked High Tension, but like most twist-ending movies, I can't really imagine myself watching it multiple times.

Cujo108
12-29-2005, 09:15 AM
The Devil's Rejects is my pick. Aside from it, the best films on the list are Haute Tension and Kaïro, but neither of those are even remotely 2005 films, so I didn't consider them.

mkayers
12-29-2005, 01:53 PM
Easily Devil's Rejects for me. Then Land of the Dead.

bloodngutz
12-29-2005, 02:57 PM
My vote is definitely for "The Descent". Easily the most visceral horror experience in years!!!!! Only released thus far in the UK, I highly recommend it!
A true masterpiece!

Myron Breck
12-29-2005, 06:47 PM
I chose LAND OF THE DEAD since it's the only one that I am considering buying; but even that is more for the completion of the series than because it was worth a purchase.
Sorely disappointed in DEVIL'S REJECTS. I may give it another try down the road and see if I like it any better but I'm in no hurry.

KillerCannabis
12-29-2005, 07:25 PM
The Devil's Rejects, with Land Of The Dead an extremely close second.

LivingDeadMafia
12-29-2005, 07:46 PM
Land, Rejects, Tension Were all Amazing, so i went with haute tension, why? because it had the least amount of votes of those three ;)

Myron Breck
12-29-2005, 10:19 PM
Land, Rejects, Tension Were all Amazing, so i went with haute tension, why? because it had the least amount of votes of those three ;)

I didn't even see it up there!!! Not even when I looked a second time!!!

I'm dumb. :(

_pi_
12-29-2005, 11:07 PM
The Descent. No competition.

Anthropophagus
12-30-2005, 12:26 AM
I voted for High Tension as it kept me entertained despite its logical flaws. It has a great, dark and oppresive quality to it and the violence and gore seemed intrinsic to the storyline.
In contrast, I also loved The Devil's Rejects and have seen that many more times than High Tension, however in many instances Devil's Rejects seems to present violence solely for the sake of shock value and a couple of scenes were just too derivative of films like Last House On The Left and TCM II. I would argue that Rejects is perhaps the more enjoyable film, while High Tension is better realized overall.
The Amityville Horror remake was also a very well executed film, and heads and shoulders above dreck like The Fog remake. A great cast and a really cool seventies feel-I also love the way the babysitter scene was updated and reinvented.
House of Wax was decent too, despite a slow first half. I would not consider this a remake of the Vincent Price film by any means however. The idea of an actual House Of Wax was interesting and the film was enhanced by several inventive and gruesome death scenes. Elisha Cuthbert was pretty nice to look at too.
Land of the Dead was just ok for me, as I prefer the first three installments by a long shot. Leguizamo and Argento did save this film for me, and it was probably the best zombie film I had seen in a long time-very realistic gore scenes here too.
Exorcism of Emily Rose was more courtroom drama than horror but I also enjoyed that one. Very well acted and engrossing. Saw II was much better than the first IMO, and will be much more re-watchable once it hits dvd.
Which leaves the pure shit-Cursed, White Noise and The Skeleton Key-these were some of the worst films I have ever sat through alongside the aforementioned Fog remake.
Have'nt seen the rest but I am on my way to Wolf Creek right now. Just my opinions. :)

Crazy Ralph
12-30-2005, 01:11 AM
No contest..... Easily Devil's Rejects...

maskull
12-30-2005, 03:55 AM
I watched High Tension for the first time tonight and then watched Devil's Rejects again....let's just say that High (Haute) Tension is very far in the lead for me so far. There's a couple more I have to watch before deciding (Wolf Creek, Dark Water, The Descent, Chaos, Kairo, The Skeleton Key) but damn these other movies would have to be flawless to unseat HT. Ya know, unless I decide to vote for a movie that was actually released in 2005.

Shokk
12-30-2005, 04:19 AM
The Descent. No competition.

I must say..i'm geeked for it's release stateside.That in itself scares me a bit..the curse of the "overhype" looms large..ive not read a single thing overly bad though and i loved Dog Soldiers..so yeah..a half wood..for sure.

Herbert_West
12-30-2005, 04:56 AM
Voted for rejects. A great movie from start to finish. Land of the Dead was amazing too but Capt. Spaulding vs. Big Daddy: no competition.

daz
12-30-2005, 04:56 AM
I might be a bit biased by being from down under but I enjoyed Wolf Creek.

Daz

aoiookami
12-30-2005, 06:01 AM
The Descent. didnt even have to look at the other options. Horror film of the decade imo.

Bobbywoodhogan
12-30-2005, 07:34 AM
The Amityville Horror

bigwes15
12-31-2005, 01:34 AM
Looking forward to seeing The descent after reading the raves, but I doubt it will do well here if it reminds people of The Cave. I would have to honestly say that Devil's Rejects is probably the best, but I voted for House Of Wax since it had so few votes and I loved it almost equally. I thought this was the best slasher flick that I've seen in many moons!

maybrick
12-31-2005, 04:24 AM
I think if we were voting "Best Movie" from this list I would have gone hands down with THE DEVIL'S REJECTS but I see it as "Exploitation" rather than straight horror. Same goes to LAND OF THE DEAD. Loved the movie, but it plays as more of an action movie with a political message. I've gotta go with THE DESCENT. It's goes for scares and it delivers without watering the dread down with unnecessary comedy or subtext. Not to say it's brainless.. there is subtext there, but there can be no doubt that this is a true, unadulterated horror movie, and the best example I've seen all year.

sacateca
01-03-2006, 01:00 PM
Land of the Dead, possibly even the best film of the year (though still haven't seen Cronenberg's History of Violence).

bigdaddyhorse
01-03-2006, 06:08 PM
Broke down and went with Devil's Rejects as my favorite movie of the year.
I still don't think it's horror at all, but guess I'm in the minority there.
Descent was as close as second can be, and I probably should've voted that as I do consider it horror (and great horror at that). DR was my overall fav. though.

indiephantom
01-06-2006, 04:33 AM
1. The Devil's Rejects
2. Wolf Creek
3. Masters of Horror: Jenifer
4. Land of the Dead
5. The Card Player (since it's only been released here this year)

The Chaostar
01-06-2006, 06:16 AM
Easily LAND.

BloodMan
01-06-2006, 06:48 AM
The Descent :)

h8sh8
01-07-2006, 01:28 PM
Wolf Creek for me.
I might have gone Kairo #1 but I saw that a fair while ago.

1) Wolf Creek / Kairo
2) High Tension
3) The Descent

Land of the Dead was a bit disappointing I thought - not that it was awful, but wasn't exactly great either. The Devil's Rejects was good, but I thought the acting and direction weren't so good at times.
2005 was a pretty good year for horror.

Nemesis
01-07-2006, 03:12 PM
i saw high tension in 2004... and hostel in 2005... so i'd vote high tension for 2004 and hostel for 2005.. doesnt quite work out for this poll though.. so i'll just go with wolf creek

Dark Troubadour
01-07-2006, 05:02 PM
The Devil's Rejects

That ending...just wow.

bigdaddyhorse
01-10-2006, 04:56 AM
After a second viewing of The Descent eariler tonight, I have to say that is the horror movie of the fucking decade and could seriously contend with The Thing as the best all time IMHO. Fucking wow!
Consider my vote changed.

othervoice1
01-10-2006, 05:47 AM
Ive never seen the Descent- in fact im not too familiar with it at all- was it a foreign film or not released in major theatres here in the U.S.?

maskull
01-10-2006, 05:58 AM
Ive never seen the Descent- in fact im not too familiar with it at all- was it a foreign film or not released in major theatres here in the U.S.?
It's a British film by the same guy that did Dog Soldiers. It hasn't been released in North America yet.

And I am dying to see it but I just lost my job and can't afford $30 for the UK release. :(

Peoples Icon
01-10-2006, 06:11 AM
Land Of The Dead gets my vote! I have watched it three times already and I am about to watch it again! I love this movie and I really enjoyed playing the game!

bigdaddyhorse
01-10-2006, 07:51 AM
It's a British film by the same guy that did Dog Soldiers. It hasn't been released in North America yet.

And I am dying to see it but I just lost my job and can't afford $30 for the UK release. :(

I wonder if this will get a wide US or NA release. Just looked at imdb for what it's worth, and they say the US release is this month at Sundance.

For now you'll either have to import the UK 2 disc, or snatch a purse and steal a car to see it. ;)
I just ordered the dvd tonight, $23.41 from Amazon.uk. My fucking cc is gonna charge 3% on top of that though, bastards. :fuck: Still that's only $24.11. Can't wait to see this in DTS with a clear anamorphic picture. :D
If it does get a wide US release I'm gonna be tempted to see it on the big screen as well, although it's gonna get cut I'll bet.

maskull
01-10-2006, 04:52 PM
Maybe I'll just see if I can download it from the newsgroups for now and then buy the DVD/see it in theatres when it gets a release over here or when I get another job.

Though there are a lot of little old ladies walking around here with purses full of money. :)

Ash28M
01-10-2006, 04:57 PM
After a second viewing of The Descent eariler tonight, I have to say that is the horror movie of the fucking decade and could seriously contend with The Thing as the best all time IMHO. Fucking wow!
Consider my vote changed.

I told ya 2005 was a great year but no one listened:)

betterdan
01-11-2006, 01:16 AM
I told ya 2005 was a great year but no one listened:)
We listened, it was just that you said it was the best year ever. Luckily you listened to others and changed your tune. ;)

Chad
01-13-2006, 10:10 PM
"Land of the Dead" was my pick...well worth the 20-year wait.

In a very, very close 2nd and 3rd..."The Devil's Rejects" followed by "High Tension".

Adam13
01-13-2006, 10:52 PM
Devil's Rejects was not only the best horror film this year, it was one of the best movies of the year.

oh and uh, Wolf Creek.....fucking blew ass. know what happens? here it is:

nothing.

onebyone
01-30-2006, 05:13 PM
BUMP for the winners in the poll. Although there were some god awful horror movies in 2005, this poll shows there were in fact several good ones. I wonder how much better The Descent would have done had it been released in the USA sooner.

kain
02-14-2006, 10:53 AM
From the list High Tension, The Descent and Land but the best film I saw last year was A Tale of Two Sisters from Korea

Ash28M
02-14-2006, 11:32 AM
From the list High Tension, The Descent and Land but the best film I saw last year was A Tale of Two Sisters from Korea

Do films from 2003 count for best film of the year? In that case the best film I saw last year was Nosferatu from Germany. I really see some potential in that F.W. Murnau. I hope that pesky Hittler guy doesn't get in the way.

Mok
02-14-2006, 03:36 PM
BUMP for the winners in the poll. Although there were some god awful horror movies in 2005, this poll shows there were in fact several good ones. I wonder how much better The Descent would have done had it been released in the USA sooner.
I'd still say Devil's Rejects is quite safe as #1.