PDA

View Full Version : Don't throw away that simitar bay of Blood dvd yet

betterdan
01-04-2001, 03:59 AM
I just received my dvd of Twitch of the Death Nerve by image. The video is beautiful years ahead of the simitar release. BUT ...
The audio is ten timesworse than even simitars release. The audio was a little distorted on simitars and had a few pops but still clearly understood. Image's dvd sound SUCKS HARD! First the dialogue was not too low it was way too fucking low!in some parts then excruciatingly speaker shattering loud during other parts including some parts of spoken dialogue. I couldn't understand what the hell they were saying because my ears hurt and I was too busy turning the volume up and down. This is completely unacceptable. While the Simitar version is a little too dark and not qas clean looking I will watch it over Twitch of the Death Nerve version because I would rather hear what they are saying instead of getting a headache and being annoyed. This really pisses me off after spending $20 on this way below average in sound dvd. This has to be the worst sounding dvd I own out of 128. DAMMIT TO HELL! DO NOT buy this disc. You have been warned.

betterdan
01-04-2001, 04:13 AM
Me again
Sorry I'm so pissed but I've been waiting for this dvd forever. Image should be ashamed and I don't know if i will buy another Image dvd if this is how they make dvds. Guess I'll go to bed now and try to calm down.

Dave
01-04-2001, 05:02 AM
Odd, because numerous people told me Simitar's DVD has the same audio problem. That isn't the case, huh? May have to update the review once I confirm that.

------------------
David W. Anderson - dave@horrordvds.com
Webmaster - www.horrordvds.com (http://www.horrordvds.com)

betterdan
01-04-2001, 03:36 PM
Don't get me wrong simitar's versio doesn't have that great of sound either but Images is far crappier. Simitars at least didn't have the dialogue go ear splitting loud whenever an actor raised his voice like when the fortune teller is yelling at her husband then it gets so low like when the fortune teller is looking at the cards and saying something very low on images I had to turn it waaaay up then it almost blew my speakers unless I hurried and turned it down. On simitars I only needed to turn it up or down a little bit and not very often. Try the simitar disc and you will see the audio is a lot better especially when the kids are driving in that funkadelic speed buggy I can understand them on simitars but not on Images.

old-boo-radley
03-29-2004, 05:08 PM
I recently found a store that has the Simitar edition of this film and it is about half (or even 1/3) the price of the Image DVD (I'm in Canada, Image DVDs are expensive as hell). I was wondering, in comparison to VHS quality, how good is the picture quality on this disc and is the movie cut? If it is cut, is it really badly cut or is it a pretty hard R? If anyone could do a screenshot or two, it'd be much appreciated! Thanks.

speanroc
03-29-2004, 07:25 PM
both versions are useless , both of them have horrible audio , and the simitar version is cut!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!

FulciZombieFan
03-30-2004, 03:14 AM
Some (if not most?) DVD players have a dynmic range control on them. I wonder if this helps at all?

I can't say as I don't have the IMAGE DVD since I read the reviews of poor sound before getting around to buying it hence I decided not too.

But I saw the film years ago on VHS and liked it and would like to see it again.

One thing that might work ...

Rip the DVD to your HDD and extract the audio. Convert to a PCM WAV audio file. Then import into a good WAV editing program like SoundForge or CoolEdit or GoldWave and play around with the dynamic range maybe cut some hiss on the higher end etc.

Then re-author the new audio (after converting back to AC-3) with the existing video.

Could work ... I might even be willing to try it myself but I don't have the DVD ... maybe I'll do this someday hehehe

- John "FulciLives" Coleman

RyanPC
03-30-2004, 04:21 AM
I agree with this- the sound is absolutely terrible on the Image DVD! The picture quality was fantastic though, and so were some of the extras, so I suppose the good outweighs the bad, but I agree Betterdan, the worst sound on a DVD I've ever heard! :mad:

Never seen the Simitar version, but I'm not sure I'd want to. :eek2:

Jason25
03-30-2004, 05:58 AM
Fuck, people bitch about every fuckin' little thing. Yes the audio is flawed, but it is either own the Image or Simitar or nothing, you pick. I'll take a flawed release over nothing. Where were these fucks when all we had was 5th generation dupes, dumb bastards!

Agent Z
03-30-2004, 06:23 AM
Fuck, people bitch about every fuckin' little thing. Yes the audio is flawed, but it is either own the Image or Simitar or nothing, you pick. I'll take a flawed release over nothing. Where were these fucks when all we had was 5th generation dupes, dumb bastards!

To say the audio is "flawed" is underselling the severity of the deficiency. When you can't make out stretches of dialogue, then you have a real problem. The cinematic experience is as much about the audio as it is about the visual. I think people have a right to complain when they are only getting, in essence, half of the experience.

If there are fans of the movie who will take whatever version they can get their hands on, then that is fine. I'll pick "nothing" in the meantime......

Jason25
03-30-2004, 06:40 AM
To say the audio is "flawed" is underselling the severity of the deficiency. When you can't make out stretches of dialogue, then you have a real problem. The cinematic experience is as much about the audio as it is about the visual. I think people have a right to complain when they are only getting in essence, half of the experience.

If there are fans of the movie who will take whatever version they can get their hands on, then that is fine. I'll pick "nothing" in the meantime......

I could care less, take nothing then, no sweat off my sack. I'll take the "flawed" version over nothing. Is this so hard to comprehend?

KamuiX
03-30-2004, 08:05 AM
I have the Image disc, and yeah, the audio isn't that great, but for me at least, I made everything out. I turned the bass down somewhat on my Digital reciever, and I made everything out OK. The audio on this disc is no worse than on BU's The Crazies release, which is pretty questionable as well. And really, why are you so pissed?? I thought it was common knowledge that the audio on the Image disc was pretty bad??

bwana the clown
03-30-2004, 08:07 AM
Fuck, people bitch about every fuckin' little thing.

Yes....it seems they do. :)

The Chaostar
03-30-2004, 11:19 AM

I hope this is a joke and I am not getting it. So let me get this: Is this a moderator's way to express his thoughts concerning the members of the forum? If so then every ex-member should be unbanned.

Just because I lived the dupe-era, I much prefer the greek lbx tape of Bay Of Blood, just for the sound of it. Yeah, it's 15 years old (not a dupe but an original) and through my projector it plays just fine. Until someone releases an above average version of the film on DVD, my tape will do.

betterdan
03-30-2004, 12:56 PM
Did anyone notice this thread was started over 3 years ago? I ended up keeping the Image disc but still believe it has the worst sound of any dvd I own. Kamuix I was pissed at the time because I love this movie and was really looking forward to the dvd. I got it about when it came out so I didn't know about the sound.
As for people who think like this..."I'll take a flawed release over nothing. Where were these fucks when all we had was 5th generation dupes, dumb bastards!" All I've got to say is who gives a flying fuck what you think? Go ahead and demand less and cry over your precious vhs dupes. I buy dvds and expect better quality. Now is this so hard to comprehend? Thank you.
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/images/smilies/spank.gif http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/images/smilies/owned.gif

Tawny
03-30-2004, 04:34 PM
After checking out this thread, it got me thinking. Just how bad is the audio on the image disc? I remembered watching it a few months ago, and noticed some problems with the audio.(Can't hear dialogue, gets really loud at some points).Put it in again last night, still have a hard time adjusting to it, but found it to be "watchable." However, Image should be ashamed of themselves for not trying harder. :(

Andrew
03-30-2004, 06:52 PM
It isn't completely Image's fault. They had shitty source material to start with. However, they could have done a better job, as there are releases that sound better, but this is a movie that (unless better materials are found) will never sound too great.

betterdan
03-30-2004, 07:58 PM
I believe it is mostly Image's fault though because even the shitty Simitar release had a little better sound that wasn't so distorted. The whole problem is with the sound being distorted badly. Anyways this thread is way old and I don't feel like discussing it again.

KamuiX
03-31-2004, 04:26 AM
Wow, 3 years old...I can't believe I missed that :lol:

Jason25
03-31-2004, 06:33 AM
My apologies if anyone was offended by my comments. I merely wanted to state the fact that the film is the most important aspect to me and that I think the whole fuss over the Audio is grossly overstated but I do hope no one was truly upset. I can understand fans of the film wanting the highest possible presentation both in regards to audio and video and I wouldn't want anyone to feel short-changed by a studio.

betterdan
03-31-2004, 12:27 PM
That's ok Jason. After 3 years I finally calmed down :D