PDA

View Full Version : Avoid Anchor Bay's new DVD of A Better Tomorrow!

Django
01-14-2001, 05:14 AM
Well this is a hell of a way to start 2001.

On Friday I recieved my pre-orders of Anchor Bay's new DVDs of A Better Tomorrow and Better Tomorrow 2, well before the offical release date next Tuesday. I was jazzed as you can imagine so I invited the gang over for a John Woo all-nighter.

Which lasted all of twenty minutes. As Better Tomorrow started I noticed something funny other then the full english titles that started the movie. The familar score, not counting it's signature theme, seemed out of place. I didn't think too much of it at first.

Until the scene where Chow Yun Fat and Ti Lung are making the money exchange with the British. The voices coming from Ho and Mark were not Lung or Chow but were in fact the voices of BRITISH WHITE GUYS. Pissed off beyond belief, I skipped ahead to the sequence were Mark gets his revenge at the resturant were low and behold the tense bass beat so memorable in the original HK print was replaced by stock Jazz riffs.

And it proved my worst fear. ANCHOR BAY RELEASE THE BRITISH/US ENGLISH DUB CUT WITH A DUBBED CANTONESE FOREIGN LANGUAGE TRACK ADDED AT THE LAST MINUTE!

Go dig out your HK scorce bootlegs if you don't believe me. Sure it's anamorphic, but whoopty shit if it's not the original cut.

F**k Anchor Bay. I've had it with their incomplete work and this is the end of the line for them in my collection. First thing Tuesday morning I'm ordering the Tai Seng Import...

Argento Fan 2003
01-14-2001, 05:22 AM
Well I'm glad I'm not the only one tired of Anchor Bay and their carelessness.

ArrowBeach
01-14-2001, 11:46 AM
But Django, it is anamorphic, right? I thought everyone here and DVDTalk said "as long as it is Anamorphic, anchor bay will be better than the Tai Sengs!"! LOL! Cant piss off the anamorphic fans. http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/wink.gif (;

Glad I kept my Tai Seng DVD! And to top it all off Anchor Bay made everyone get rid of their Tai Seng version mid last year by boasting theirs will have a John Woo audio comentary which never happened!!! LOL

and Django, dont forget Anchor Bay's pathetic MANHUNTER 2 disc LIMITED set that ALSO came out this week! Wonder if they will ever get rid of their "limited 100,000" set! Thats almost 8 times more than their botched NOTLD 30th set!

[This message has been edited by ArrowBeach (edited 01-14-2001).]

Trout
01-14-2001, 04:01 PM
Please tell me you are kidding...I dumped off my Tai Seng DVD (mainly because it had the Forrest Gump/Speed soundtrack), but now I think I may regret it. But don't worry, AB will probably release a new version next year, so we can buy it all over again. I used to really like AB a lot, but it seems that they are getting sloppy with their releases lately.

ArrowBeach
01-14-2001, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Trout:
Please tell me you are kidding...I dumped off my Tai Seng DVD (mainly because it had the Forrest Gump/Speed soundtrack), but now I think I may regret it.

Tai seng actually had a FORRST GUMP and SPEED soundtrack to it???

But don't worry, AB will probably release a new version next year, so we can buy it all over again. I used to really like AB a lot, but it seems that they are getting sloppy with their releases lately.

oh yeah, re-release it in a limited tin, for 39.99! Capitalist! http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/wink.gif (;

DVD Connoisseur
01-14-2001, 07:27 PM
What on earth is happening to the titles on my "hit list"? It must be cursed! First it was Twitch of the Death Nerve (from Image) and the faulty audio track...now A Better Tomorrow! Shame on you, Anchor Bay! Sloppy releases like this are a shock after such recent A+ releases like The Beyond, Hellraiser 1 and 2, City of the Living Dead and Let Sleeping Corpses Lie. (I'm not going to mention Sleepaway Camp...oops, I just did!)

DVD releases are becoming sloppy. (Having said that, I still own the original issue of the Star Wars Definitive Collection LD set and that has missing footage in The Empire Strikes Back!) Shit happens but surely not this often?!

[This message has been edited by DVD Connoisseur (edited 01-14-2001).]

Django
01-14-2001, 11:08 PM
And now for the follow-up.

A Better Tomorrow 2 is in fact THE ORIGINAL CUT at least as far as I could tell excluding the english titles. I've never been that big on the sequel save for the end assault and the scene which introduces Chow Yun Fat's Ken in his New York resturant. Not to worry, it is indeed Chow's barely understandable english that you hear when he tells the mob guy not to "f**k with the rice."

And as a bonus, the english dub features the same voice cast as those found in The Killer and Hard-Boiled with the same voice-over actor doing Chow in all three.

But here's the funny part. On a whim I tried the English dub of Better Tomorrow 1 to see if the voices matched as well. They don't, but for some reason the track features THE ORIGINAL HONG KONG MUSICAL SCORE that's missing from the so-called original Cantonese language track!

Beats the hell out of me, but at least my favorite scene IS included in this version.

Mostly...

landrvr
01-15-2001, 12:40 AM
arrowbeach wrote:

"and Django, dont forget Anchor Bay's pathetic MANHUNTER 2 disc LIMITED set that ALSO came out this week! Wonder if they will ever get rid of their "limited 100,000" set! Thats almost 8 times more than their botched NOTLD 30th set!"

um, i'm curious as to why you consider the Manhunter 2 disc set to be pathetic? the thing hasn't even been released yet....

[This message has been edited by landrvr (edited 01-14-2001).]

Django
01-15-2001, 01:23 AM
Well, I'm not gonna speak on behalf of Arrow but according to DVD File's advanced review of it, the Manhunter limited 2-Disc director's cut has only three minutes of additional footage that adds nothing to the movie and the transfer looks horrid like it was a workprint.

So I'm just gonna pick up standard issue theatrical cut...

Trout
01-15-2001, 01:35 PM
I have a bit of a follow up also...I have the Tai Seng VHS version of ABT, and while Yun-Fat places the guns in the flower pots, a Cantonese pop song (female vocals) is played instead of the bass/synth theme we are used to hearing. So I don't know which music was intended for this scene, but it sounds like we have a new track to add to the list.

BTW: I should correct a mistake I made. Media Asia added Forrest Gump and Speed musical cues to ABT, and not Tai Seng.

AceRimRat
01-15-2001, 09:07 PM
I'm starting to think it's worth missing out on the added 10% off to stop pre-ordering stuff until I see reviews/complaints/etc.

Saved me $20 on "Twitch of the Deaf Nerve," as somebody here called it.

And that DVD File review of Manhunter has me rethinking the LE path, even if the cover art looks cool.

What can I say? After my NOTLD Hackmaster 2000 investment, I get a little nervous about where my money's going.

And yeah, me with my 175 DVDs is getting gun-shy. Sigh.

napalm68
01-16-2001, 02:46 AM
I haven't been able to track down any Manhunter preview at DVD File - does anyone have a link?

I am sick of AB releasing and re-releasing shit. They should at least have some program to buy back the old shit transfers, or the old bare bones eds. And these way overprice Ltd Ed sets. The ones with additional DVD material are nearly worth it, the rest are just crap. Even the ones with additional footage (Halloween, AoD, Manhunter) could be put on a single DVD-9 with seamless branching. They just like ripping us off.

Found the review at <A HREF="http://www.dvdreview.com/fullreviews/manhunter.shtml">DVD Review</A>... Ah geez, definitely does not seem to be worth the extra money. And as they have made 3 times as many in the limited run as with Halloween, I bet it will take a while to disappear from online stores. I am seriously considering cancelling my preorder... http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/frown.gif

------------------
Oh no, mother! Blood!

[This message has been edited by napalm68 (edited 01-15-2001).]

ctyner
01-16-2001, 03:03 AM
Napalm -- http://www.dvdfile.com/software/review/dvd-video_2/manhunter.html

------------------
My DVD list (http://www.weirdal.org/me/html/dvd/list.php3) | bigwolfoncampus.org (http://www.bigwolfoncampus.org)