PDA

View Full Version : Worst Horror of 2005?

rhett
01-16-2006, 02:14 AM
There have been many singing praises to 2005 as one of the best years in horror in some time. This may be the case, but there were also a large amount of stinkers too. From Uwe Boll to remakes to reimagings, there was a number of stuff to be embarassed about on the horror front. Which was the worst?

onebyone
01-16-2006, 02:18 AM
The Ring Two, with The Fog close behind.

life_o_petey
01-16-2006, 02:20 AM
i went with alone in the dark (sorry onebyone). I haven't seen the ring two, the fog, hide and seek, chaos, or cry_wolf. and now that i don't get free rentals anymore, i probably won't see any of them for a while. I actually enjoyed White Noise.

walkingdude
01-16-2006, 02:21 AM
The only three on that list I have seen are Alone in the Dark,Boogeyman and Ring 2 and they are three of the worst I have ever seen.

Cujo108
01-16-2006, 02:25 AM
Other: The Amityville Horror. Runner-up: Boogeyman.

Of the ones I've seen, Cry_Wolf is the only quality film on that list.

badnewsbrown
01-16-2006, 02:27 AM

indiephantom
01-16-2006, 02:27 AM
I thought Wolf Creek was great. I've seen five films on that list and I think White Noise was the worst of them.

KR~!
01-16-2006, 02:28 AM
Chaos, hands down. This film started as a remake of the classic Last house on the Left, but when they lost the rights, they renamed it Chaos and then claimed to have been based on the director's original idea. To make matters worst he promoted his film like a wrestling match and threated to beat up fans that brought up the fact it was a cheap and crappy rip off of Last house on the Left. The film was so bad that the entire cast denounced the film before it was released and refused to promote it.

Average Rating from critics was 1.7 out of 10 and the movie bombed making a pathetic $206,789 total gross in 32.3 weeks.

eric_angelus
01-16-2006, 02:50 AM
Other: The Amityville Horror was the biggest disappointment of the year, so I call it the worst. Cry Wolf was shit as well.

KamuiX
01-16-2006, 02:53 AM
I thought Wolf Creek was great.

Indeed.

I voted for The Boogeyman...after this and the 1980 film, I've learned to never watch a film with "Boogeyman" in the title again :nervous:

betterdan
01-16-2006, 03:00 AM
Amityville Horror for the win errr loser I guess.

SaviniFan
01-16-2006, 03:08 AM
Agreed. Chaos was utter shit. I was actually offended by how much of a rip-off it was after DeFalco bragged about how it was origonal and "the most brutal fim ever made". What an utter POS.

Chaos, hands down. This film started as a remake of the classic Last house on the Left, but when they lost the rights, they renamed it Chaos and then claimed to have been based on the director's original idea. To make matters worst he promoted his film like a wrestling match and threated to beat up fans that brought up the fact it was a cheap and crappy rip off of Last house on the Left. The film was so bad that the entire cast denounced the film before it was released and refused to promote it.

Average Rating from critics was 1.7 out of 10 and the movie bombed making a pathetic $206,789 total gross in 32.3 weeks.

RyanPC
01-16-2006, 03:15 AM
The Amityville Horror. :nervous:

Katatonia
01-16-2006, 05:21 AM
Alone in the Dark, terrible beyond belief.

Myron Breck
01-16-2006, 05:24 AM
I can't pick just one.....I really can't.

ZoSo
01-16-2006, 06:32 AM
I would have to go with Ring Blew. Err... Ring Two. I thought Amityville was pretty good, but that may also be because I saw it as the second half of a drive-in double feature, after Ring Two. :) The Fog was also quite horrendous.

betterdan eats farts.

Noto
01-16-2006, 06:52 AM
There are a few that I haven't seen yet. But I had the priviledge of seeing The Ring Two three fucking times. Why? Because I am a sadist, that's why.

Kolpitz
01-16-2006, 07:16 AM
I know most people will disagree with me on this one, but I went with "Other - The Devil's Rejects." I hated House of 1000 Corpses and although this was a different movie, it was equally atrocious. The movie didn't offend me with its content, but it was just a poorly written and directed piece of garbage. The dialogue sounded like 12 year olds who just learned how to swear but don't quite know how to make it sound natural, so they just add f*ck or some variation in front of every word. I know just about everyone on this forum drooled over this movie but I just wanted to slit my own wrists and get it over with. Zombie was a decent musician but he needs to leave filmmaking to the professionals.

sacateca
01-16-2006, 07:43 AM
Would love to vote for the Fog but i've not seen any of the other entries so i guess that would be a tad unfair. Unfortunately all the rest just seem too irrelevant that i'd ever have an elegant opportunity to watch them. And i refuse to go "out of my way" to see such movies.

PS: On the other hand there's the option "Other" and i could agree with the poster before me who didn't like the Devil's Rejects, though i did think it was insultingly manipulative to the audience, in addition to being generally badly written and directed without heads or tails to the whole movie.
But then, in that case i could also go with the Descent for which i would offer just about the same criticism as to tDR...so still, as it is, i'll refrain from voting for now :)

life_o_petey
01-16-2006, 10:09 AM
i would list the writing and directing (along with the cast) as the reasons that make the devil's rejects the best horror film of the year. but that's just me.

onebyone
01-16-2006, 10:23 AM
If The Devil's Rejects and The Descent are the worst two 2005 horror films you have seen, you really lucked out.

evildeadfan123
01-16-2006, 11:07 AM
I loved The Fog. Chaos I have never seen yet

Ash28M
01-16-2006, 11:47 AM
I know most people will disagree with me on this one, but I went with "Other - The Devil's Rejects." I hated House of 1000 Corpses and although this was a different movie, it was equally atrocious. The movie didn't offend me with its content, but it was just a poorly written and directed piece of garbage. The dialogue sounded like 12 year olds who just learned how to swear but don't quite know how to make it sound natural, so they just add f*ck or some variation in front of every word. .

Your right they should have portrayed those hillbilly, uneducated scumbages as being a bit more articulate. :rolleyes:

dwatts
01-16-2006, 11:54 AM
Holy crap - am I only allowed to pick one?!?!?

Third place goes to Cursed. Horrible film in so many ways, but really, someone should have stopped them having a werewolf give us the finger. Bad bad bad. It's not worse than my number two pick really, but I hate it a little more because it poops on the werewolf genre, which deserves better.

Second place goes to Boogeyman. This one just has no reason to exist. Not scary, not fun, and not good.

First place though: Hide and Seek. This goes one step further and insults my intelligence for good measure. Whoever wrote this needs to go back to kindegarden. The plotting was HORRIBLE. Just as bad though - DeNiro is in it! The once great man will slum it in just about anything these days for the cash - adding his name to the marquee no matter the trash. I just hated this film.

ps: I've not yet seen: Chaos, Cry Wolf, The Fog, and Wolf Creek.

pps: Alone in the Dark rocked :)

rhett
01-16-2006, 01:45 PM
I have added both THE AMITYVILLE HORROR and THE DEVIL'S REJECTS to the poll in light of everybody's votes, and have changed the scores to reflect all the people who had voted for them earlier. Pretty interesting to note that CRY_WOLF has the least number of votes. It seems to be the one to tread the mid-ground the best.

betterdan
01-16-2006, 01:46 PM
Thanks Rhett. Amityville definately deserved a spot up there. Peeew what a stinker.

maskull
01-16-2006, 04:35 PM
Haven't seen them all but I have seen Amityville, White Noise, Alone In The Dark, Boogeyman, Cursed and Devil's Rejects.

I loved Alone In The Dark.

Devil's Rejects didn't really blow me away and even bored me a bit in the middle, but I certainly didn't hate it.

White Noise was kind of like The Forgotten for me. Good build up but with a half-assed ending. Like they ran out of time so just tacked something on at the end.

Boogeyman I didn't mind the first time I watched it but the ending was just moronic and spoiled the whole movie for me. It wasn't great to begin with but I was having some fun watching it.

Cursed. Another movie that was sort of dumb fun but when the werewolf gave `em the finger I rolled my eyes and turned it off.

Amityville would've sucked but Ryan Reynolds was great in it. Excellent job of going nutso. Too bad there wasn't a movie around to support him.

But, in the end I voted for "other" for Land of the Dead. It was the biggest disappointment of the year, I wasn't expecting much from the others on the list. Plus I doubt I'll be able to watch it ever again thanks to an extremely annoying ending to the movie and "Big Daddy", one of my most hated characters in a movie, EVER.

Mok
01-16-2006, 05:04 PM
Although I turnned Alone in the dark off, I went with Wolf Creek. I'd hate for horror films to progress into being simulated snuff films.

Mok
01-16-2006, 05:47 PM
I know most people will disagree with me on this one, but I went with "Other - The Devil's Rejects." I hated House of 1000 Corpses and although this was a different movie, it was equally atrocious.
Awwwww, did those movies messy-up yer day?

KillerCannabis
01-16-2006, 05:48 PM
Not that I bothered to see most of what's on the list, but Ring 2 by far sucked the most.

bigdaddyhorse
01-16-2006, 05:59 PM
I haven't seen Cry Wolf, Chaos, The Fog, or White Noise yet, but can say without a doubt in my mind that no matter how much any of those may suck (and I'm sure The Fog is dogshit), there is NO FUCKING WAY they can come close to the steaming pile of moose-shit that was Hide And Seek.

Easily one of the worst movies EVER in any genre!

From the others, The Ring 2 is a close second and Boogeyman is right on it's ass.
Alone In The Dark is Uwe, so you know that has redeeming value! It also has some cool effects IMO.

I called out the end of Hide about 5-10 minutes into the film, I just wish I had stopped it then instead of sitting through the rest and losing that time forever.

allmessedup
01-16-2006, 06:16 PM
It's hard for me to imagine anything being much worse than THE RING 2. You can't expect much out of Uwe Boll or the makers of CHAOS, but given RING 2's director and what he had to work with, I can't imagine a bigger letdown than what we got, especially those stupid cartoon deer, which is probably one of the dumbest scenes I've ever witnessed in a horror film.

BOOGEYMAN, CURSED, and WHITE NOISE were all pretty stupid too. ALONE IN THE DARK was just dull, it wasn't up to the usual Boll standard of comedy.
DARK WATER rounds out the crap pack for me this year--the only interesting character was the landlord--I soon lost interest in Jennifer Connelly and her brat, but would have enjoyed a comedy/drama about the sandwich-eating, horse betting landlord character.

AMITYVILLE worked as a movie you could laugh at, so it escapes my condemnation.

Paff
01-16-2006, 08:20 PM
I know most people will disagree with me on this one, but I went with "Other - The Devil's Rejects." I hated House of 1000 Corpses and although this was a different movie, it was equally atrocious. The movie didn't offend me with its content, but it was just a poorly written and directed piece of garbage. The dialogue sounded like 12 year olds who just learned how to swear but don't quite know how to make it sound natural, so they just add f*ck or some variation in front of every word. I know just about everyone on this forum drooled over this movie but I just wanted to slit my own wrists and get it over with. Zombie was a decent musician but he needs to leave filmmaking to the professionals.

You won't get a lot of support here from anyone else, but I'll agree with you 100%.

Now, I haven't seen any of the other films on the list, so I'll bet there's some stinkers on there worse than Devil's Rejects.

But I'm done with Rob Zombie as a filmmaker. Hated 1K Corpses, and only gave Rejects a spin due to it's overwhelming praise. His ADD movie-making style just annoys me.

allmessedup
01-16-2006, 08:57 PM
I can respect that point of view--I liked THE DEVIL'S REJECTS and it was the best horror film I saw in 2005, but it does still have some of the problems that his first film did, which I didn't like much at all. I think I was just pleased that DEVIL'S REJECTS told a coherent story and had some great performances. Sid Haig was the strongest part of the first film, and giving him more to do here improved things a lot. 2005 was a weak year as far as quality films go, so DEVIL'S REJECTS got the nod for me.

Anthropophagus
01-17-2006, 02:20 AM
Actually liked Wolf Creek, Amityville Horror and Devil's Rejects. Of the others I have seen, The Fog sucked worst and was the biggest letdown followed by The Ring Two and Boogeyman. Cursed was also garbage. Hide and Seek and White Noise put me to sleep, so not having seen them in their entirety I cannot judge.

Semerrill
01-17-2006, 07:17 PM
amittyville horror

Guyver99
01-18-2006, 05:43 AM
Well, how many Uwe Boll movies are on this list? Just one? Okay, Alone in the Dark it is.

Nasty Nate
01-18-2006, 06:31 AM
Ring 2 gets my vote. I fell asleep on it.

4Gotten1
01-18-2006, 08:38 PM
Alone in the Dark, hands down. I know some love it due to the unintentional humor, but this is so bad -- it's beyond appreciating even for the sake of laughing at it.

Dilmo
01-18-2006, 09:03 PM
Without a doubt, The Ring Two.

evildeadfan123
01-18-2006, 09:05 PM
I have seen the following: The Fog, Cry_Wolf - only because of Jared Padalecki, Hide & Seek, Ring 2, Amityville Horror, Alone In The Dark, and White Noise. The worst of 2005 goes to Ring 2, and a very close 2nd Alone In The Dark.

DrHerbertWest
01-18-2006, 10:21 PM
I didn't mind the Ring 2 or Amityville Horror THAT much. Hide & Seek was a complete waste. My girlfriend REALLY wanted to see it so we gave it a shot. We're both sorry that we did.

J-Dub
01-19-2006, 10:04 AM
Saw II. What a disappointment.I saw Cursed, Cry Wolf, & Devil's Rejects, and enjoyed all 3, however not enough to own any of them. Devil's Rejects was a great improvement on House of 1000 Corpses, which i hated. Enjoyed the direction & the way music was used in the film.

soxfan666
01-20-2006, 05:42 PM
i went with ring II, but i saw dark water the other night, and it sucked.

MorallySound
01-21-2006, 10:09 PM
From what I've seen of those, definately The Fog remake. What a POS.

eric_angelus
01-26-2006, 05:25 AM
I still stand by Amityville as the worst, but I just saw The Fog...and wow did it suck. I know this has all been said on other threads, but I feel like my eyes have been pissed on by this dvd...and just needed to share my pain...now I must seal it back into its netflix envelope and get it out of my house before I can start to feel better...

VideoViolence
01-26-2006, 06:05 AM
Alone In The Dark is one of the worst offenders.

fceurich39
02-07-2006, 08:11 PM
boogeyman was and still is horrible it should of went direct to video

Chad
02-17-2006, 08:52 AM
The Ring Two. It was basically just a re-tread of the [American] original with no scares whatsoever.

With the exception of "The Amityville Horror", I wasn't foolish enough to watch any of the other ones! :D

Why is "The Devil's Rejects" on there?

Myron Breck
02-17-2006, 01:32 PM
I still haven't seen WOLF CREEK or CHAOS (which I am sure I would have voted for if I had seen it), but I'll go with THE RING TWO with THE FOG, BOOGEYMAN, HIDE AND SEEK, and WHITE NOISE all tying for 2nd place.

Ash28M
02-17-2006, 01:40 PM
OK, for those of you who voted The Devil's Rejects or Wolf Creek. Pick another movie because your just being ridiculous.

onebyone
02-17-2006, 05:31 PM
OK, for those of you who voted The Devil's Rejects or Wolf Creek. Pick another movie because your just being ridiculous.

Or maybe they only saw a handful of movies on the list? A lot of god awful movies are likely being saved by no one actually seeing them.

dwatts
02-17-2006, 05:41 PM
Well, given that the people woting for them might have a) Really not liked them, b) Might not have seen all the films on the list, and therefore were talking from a position of relativity - their votes are just.

How can "Alone in the Dark" be winning by such a large margin. I've sat and watched that one more than half dozen times. Hide and Seek was far worse... and Boogeyman.... I guess we all have an opinion that we're entitled to :D