PDA

View Full Version : Dementia 13 (or I Love Roan)

mutleyhyde
02-07-2001, 05:06 AM
Haven't heard this one discussed here, but if anyone's interested, here's a few reviews on the new Roan disc. They were hard as hell to find, and it seems very few stores carry it. Hell, the Troma site (Troma bought out Roan, *groan*) doesn't mention it at all! However, Troma is having a pretty decent Roan sale on right now. My bet is that they're just trying to get rid of what's left, and are going to let the brand dwindle to nothingness :confused:. Anyway... http://www.thecinemalaser.com/dvd_reviews/dementia-13-dvd.htm http://www.dvddrive-in.com/dementia13.htm
I've never seen the movie, cause every time I tried to watch it the copy was unbearable. The reviews say this is the best the movie has looked, so I'm gonna give it a try. It's letterboxed, has a commentary, a trailer and a few other goodies. Anybody like this film? Anybody like Roan? That White Zombie disc is kick-ass, and the Mr. Wong set is great too (thanks Dave!). Those're the only two I have so far, but I plan on getting a lot more. :D

Salisnoir
02-07-2001, 05:35 AM
Amazon sells two versions of DEMENTIA 13, one by Roan for 16.99 and one by Troma for 9.99. Aren't they the same?!?

mutleyhyde
02-07-2001, 07:50 AM
Yeah, one would think so. But I wouldn't order one that was listed as Troma unless they had a picture of it and it has the Roan logo across the top. Unfortunately, none of the etailers are showing pics yet. You'll be able to see what it looks like in the linked reviews. This is really weird. Nobody seems to know its out, and those that do don't have solid info on it. Is it really so bad a movie that it gets ignored? Hell, even DVDPricesearch doesn't have it in their database yet. I'm tellin' ya, Troma is going to be the death of Roan!

Ash28M
02-12-2004, 10:35 PM
I had to bring this thread back to life as I have been looking For the Troma/Roan Group DVD for the longest time. It seems to be out of stock everywhere and i'm yet to see it on ebay. Is this the best version put on on DVD thus far? The new 3D dvd seems to have a 2D option anyone know how the transer is on that disk?

Luna
02-12-2004, 10:37 PM
I'd love to see a good copy of this. The only print I've seen of this is extremely bright and contrasty, I think. I sure as hell hope Troma doesn't kill Roan... that'd be a shame.

mutleyhyde
02-13-2004, 03:00 AM
Whoah, blast from the past! Well, since two years ago I've managed to get a copy, and I thought it was fine, very watchable in fact, and the extras are great. Unfortunately, the Roan/Troma disc is out of print, and I have no clue about the other versions out there, whether they're any good or if they have the same extras.

And Luna, thankfully, I think Troma is dedicated to keeping Roan going for a while yet. The releases have been very sparse over the past few years, but there have been enough new releases that lead me to believe they'll at least keep the line alive, even if they don't drown us in new offerings.

Paff
02-13-2004, 06:13 AM
If you have an LD player, Roan first put this out on Laser. Looks good, and even has a fold out insert with liner notes and original promotional material. Doesn't seem hard to find, or very expensive.

Cool movie, too

Luna
02-13-2004, 11:18 AM
Oh, nice. I didn't even see it was from 2001. :lol:

I'm going to have to seek out a good copy of this now. We do have a laserdisc player, so I guess that makes it easier!

Ash28M
02-13-2004, 12:48 PM
I found a couple of companies in the UK who advertise the Troma/Roan Group disk as in stock. I wrote them an email to verify. Just waiting on a response. They most likley just haven't checked there inventory in the past 2 years but i'll keep my fingures crossed.

marcx
02-13-2004, 01:30 PM
You know for some reason I have never seen this movie--its one of those ones I know I should and yet never get to it? Opinions please? Since I have the glasses--maybe I should get the 2d/3d disc....

RyanPC
02-17-2004, 04:39 AM
This past weekend I bought the AMC Cult Classics disc with this on it and watched it for the first time. Of course, the quality on all the films was awful, but I mildly enjoyed DEMENTIA 13. Overall, though, I was a little disappointed because the beginning of the film was so great.