PDA

View Full Version : Which "Master" was MASTERS missing?

rhett
02-01-2006, 01:26 AM
Well, the first season of Showtime's MASTERS OF HORROR has come to completion, and talks for a second season are already brewing. Which "Master" of horror that wasn't in the first season would you like to see for round two?

ekent
02-01-2006, 01:29 AM
George A. Romero
Sam Raimi
Rob Zombie

Luna
02-01-2006, 01:46 AM
I went with Cronenberg. I just know he'd do something amazing.

henrychinaski
02-01-2006, 01:49 AM
Romero.

DrHerbertWest
02-01-2006, 01:54 AM
Sorry "Hostel" haters... I went with Roth. I'd love to see what he'd do with a short story and how he'd convert it into an interesting visual piece.

onebyone
02-01-2006, 01:57 AM
I went with Zombie. I think he would do great with the format. Sam Raimi would also be good, but he isn't ever going to do it. David Cronenberg, well, I don't think the format and the schedules and the BS would be his cup of tea. I can see him signing up and dropping out though.

SaviniFan
02-01-2006, 02:07 AM
Bob Clark. I'm looking forward to what he can do with horror today since it has been so long for him.

Mortis
02-01-2006, 03:21 AM
Romero all the way.

maybrick
02-01-2006, 03:46 AM
All of the above of course, but I'll choose "other" for Jeff Lieberman, director of SQUIRM, BLUE SUNSHINE, and JUST BEFORE DAWN.

rhett
02-01-2006, 04:03 AM
All of the above of course, but I'll choose "other" for Jeff Lieberman, director of SQUIRM, BLUE SUNSHINE, and JUST BEFORE DAWN.
I was thinking of putting him, but I wasn't sure if anyone would vote for him. I've added him and changed your vote.

onebyone
02-01-2006, 04:06 AM
Just be careful, because you might get Satan's Little Helper Part Deux. :nervous:

Anthropophagus
02-01-2006, 04:28 AM
Voted for Zombie, I am sure he could come up with a suitably twisted short film. Romero could do a great job too. Hate Franco, Lenzi and Roth, not really my cup of tea. I don't think Raimi, Friedkin or De Palma would consider lending their talents to such an endeavor. Bob Clark has been out of the horror genre for a while now and Craven, to me at least, is largely washed up. Cronenberg could be interesting though. As for anything related to J-horror, I am sick to death of it so I really have no interest in Mitsubishi Mike.

DeathDealer
02-01-2006, 04:49 AM
Went with Lenzi.

Knew he would be in the minority so I wanted to help him out.

BTW, Cornenberg is an ass in person. That kind of changed my opinion a little.

Erick H.
02-01-2006, 06:44 AM
Cronenberg could,I think,fit the hour format more readilly than the others.

Spitfire
02-01-2006, 06:54 AM
I'd like to see Romero do one, so I voted for him cause it feels wrong to have a show called "Masters of Horror" and not have Romero there. Rob Zombie would be awesome.

old-boo-radley
02-01-2006, 07:11 AM
I went with Craven. I think he'd at least make a decent watch. Craven has his ups and downs, but at least his movies are all pretty much watchable.

I think that an Italian guy featured again would be great though for next year. Maybe even Lamberto Bava or Michele Soavi instead of Lenzi.

Noto
02-01-2006, 07:37 AM
BTW, Cornenberg is an ass in person. That kind of changed my opinion a little.

Most people are. One moment you are a normal well-reserved fellow, next moment you realize you are Canadian and suddenly become obsessed with transmogrification.

It just happens like that sometimes.

Kolpitz
02-01-2006, 07:45 AM
I have to go with Cronenberg. I would say Miike but he already had his shot and I don't think he'd trust them again. Cronenberg is pretty much the only director on this list that, short of Crash, has consistently blown me away with his movies. Raimi's a close second, but would you give up Spider-Man to do an episode of television for Showtime? I doubt it.

Marco
02-01-2006, 07:46 AM
I'd like to see raimi, romero, zombie.

sacateca
02-01-2006, 11:00 AM
That's an interesting list, and i can't choose top priority. Though, i wouldn't be interested in anything Wes Craven, Jeff Lieberman, Eli Roth or Rob Zombie makes, but everyone else certainly should be invited to MoH.

PS: Cronenberg certainly isn't an ass person, in my opinion Wes Craven, for example, is. But then, i probably define an ass person differently.

tobaccoman
02-01-2006, 04:15 PM
Romero would be excellent of course and he has done quite well with the shortened format in the past. It would be nice to see him get in there.

Cronenberg would be totally incredible, but he would have no part in this so I couldn't really vote for him even though he is my favorite director.

Rob Zombie would be interesting to say the least. I haven't seen enough cinematic output from him though to even imagine what it would be like. Both of his features are basically the same premise type deal. If his next feature is a dark comedy as he has spoken of recently, I would like to see him try another hand at horror in this format. I'd like to see him either try something supernatural or a creature feature would also be quite intriguing.

Eli Roth! What can I say? I absolutely love the guy and I think he would do excellent with this format as well. He puts forth a fairly well balanced horror-comedy in his features and I think it would balance itself out even better with a shorter length. I'd like to see him try something a little more "light-hearted" than Hostel though, especially if he will be revisiting that film in it's sequel.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think I'll have to go for Eli Roth as I could see him putting out something just plain entertaining without having to try too hard. He's had some experience whipping stuff together quickly and I'd like to see him tackle a random idea in a shortened format.

Rob Zombie would probably be second for me, at least off the list. Romero third, but by all means, he should have been in the first season. Oh well.

Michele Soavi would be sweet as hell as I'd like to see him return to horror, but that is extremely unlikely.

Takashi Miike is in the first season, it's just not being aired. If season sets are ever released it will be included.

I don't really think of Raimi as a horror director though, especially since his last decade+ has been everything but. Peter Jackson would rank higher there for me and even Guillermo Del Toro would surpass him, but I don't think these "blockbuster" directors will or would even be able to find time for this project. (Of course, PJ has stated he was going to take some time off).

The one I'd really, really like to see though is Clive Barker. I miss him directing so much and I know he plans on shooting some stuff here in the next few years. I think this would be a nice little warm-up/ get back into the swing of things project for him. If Barker was on the list, he would get my vote for sure.

I've got two more and I believe one has already in talks to be involved. Brad Anderson has impressed me to no end (and I believe Garris has spoken to him already) along with Alejandra Aja. Another go ahead for James Gunn as well (although he's only directed one movie which hasn't released yet). Between his work with Troma, Dawn Of The Dead remake, and from what I've seen of Slither, he could be tossed up in with all these names.

Mortis
02-01-2006, 04:20 PM
The term "master" should be used loosely with some of the choices.

maybrick
02-01-2006, 04:22 PM
Just be careful, because you might get Satan's Little Helper Part Deux. :nervous:

Satan's Little Helper isn't good? Haven't researched it much but people posting on imdb seemed to think it was all right. Was considering renting it sometime soon.

Myron Breck
02-01-2006, 04:43 PM
I went with Wes Craven since, given the mass amounts of TV work he did in the 80s (made-for-TV movies and the revamped "Twilight Zone"), I'm sure he'd be able to work best under the conditions. He might even like it and return to the medium. Then it wouldn't be such a money-driven issue when he laid another egg. :)

Anthropophagus
02-01-2006, 04:58 PM
After a long night of introspection and reflection, I feel I must change my vote to the legendary Uwe Boll. To have a masters of horror thread without mention of this genius just seems wrong to me. So there you go, I am trading my praise for Zombie, Romero, and Cronenberg in favour of Boll-the true master of modern horror.

onebyone
02-01-2006, 05:35 PM
Satan's Little Helper isn't good? Haven't researched it much but people posting on imdb seemed to think it was all right. Was considering renting it sometime soon.

I really like the director too, but I thought it was pretty terrible. There is a thread on it here with mixed reviews. I liked it for about 10 minutes or so.

baggio
02-01-2006, 05:59 PM
I would think Brian De Palma would be an interesting choice.

Workshed
02-01-2006, 06:36 PM
Yeah yeah, Romero, Cronenberg, Craven, Raimi. I'd actually like to see all the above "masters" give it a shot. But I went with Raimi, just because I'd like to see him get back into horror.

BoredSeal
02-01-2006, 08:14 PM
Huh, Umberto Lenzi? You must be kidding. What about some proper guys - Michele Soavi, Anthony Hickox. I bet they would do better job than some so-called MoH from first season :)

BoredSeal
02-01-2006, 08:15 PM
oh yeah and Clive Barker? Why he doesn´t direct his own screenplay, damn, with artistic freedom we would see another miracle :)

Shokk
02-02-2006, 12:59 AM
Umberto Lenzi! Not the greatest director on the list for sure but i would be very interested in seeing what his segment would look like. :D

Copyboy
02-02-2006, 08:15 AM
De Palma, for sure.

KillerCannabis
02-02-2006, 09:49 PM
For as many REAL masters there are that I'd like to see, Cronenberg I feel could do the most with an hour.

4Gotten1
02-03-2006, 07:38 PM
My first impression was to choose George A. Romero, but then I thought about it and I'd like to see someone less obvious, but talented in the genre. We've seen what Romero can do with Creepshow and Two Evil Eyes, therefore I chose Bob Clark. I'd love to see him get back to his roots and do another horror film. Black Christmas and Death Dream are two horror films up there with my favorites. Announcing Bob Clark would make me more excited, I think, than hearing Romero -- although either would be a welcomed treat. Also welcomed would be Cronenberg and DePalma.

Another thought while on the subject, I'd really like to see Masters of Horror pick up a lesser known talent, say from within the independent field, like Dante Tomaselli or Eric Stanze or, going out on a limb here, Brian Clement. I think young raw talents like them could offer something quite interesting for the show. Maybe this defeats the purpose though, hence the title, "Masters of Horror". Although for me, that would make for an exciting episode.

Paff
02-03-2006, 08:19 PM
Went with Miike.

Don't know if it counts, since he WAS chosen and DID make a film, but it got shelved. Would have been great exposure for Asian horror that would not involve a remake.

maybrick
02-03-2006, 08:20 PM
Didn't the title "Masters of Horror" originate when Garris and bunch of famous horror director friends got together and that it's meant to be self-deprecating and "tongue-in-cheek"? I don't know why so many of us take it seriously. Obviously, if they only worked with the three or four true "master" horror directors still alive they wouldn't get very far. I'm all for getting obscure, independent directors in on this. They already did with Lucky McKee. I think the only requirement should be that they have one critically well received horror movie under their belt (by "critic" I mean fans as well. After all, everyone's a critic). Or barring that, several purely mediocre horror movies under their belt like Mick Garris and William Malone do.

Tye
02-03-2006, 08:58 PM
I went with Cronenberg. I just know he'd do something amazing.
Same here. Cronenberg all the way!

J-Dub
02-04-2006, 11:05 AM
Dario Argento if he wasn't part of the first season. Kathryn Bigelow.

maskull
02-04-2006, 05:55 PM
I'd like Bob Clark. I'd be curious to see what he could do after so much time making Baby Geniuses, etc. I'd also like to see him do a horror film that isn't a remake. I loved Black Christmas and Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things and would like to see if he still has the skills to do a great horror project, making bring him even further back into the horror fold.

Other than Clark, I'd like to see Barker or Cronenberg. I think they could do something twisted with the format.

h8sh8
02-12-2006, 12:54 PM
Sam Raimi for me. Kiyoshi Kurosawa or Clive Barker would be good too, or Brad Anderson - he's just as qualified for 'master' as Eli Roth & Rob Zombie - all with 2 films now made.

As mentioned earlier, we've already seen Romero with Two Evil Eyes and Creepshow. He hasn't done anything groundbreaking for years, so can't it being any different with Masters of Horror (unfortunately).

Bobbywoodhogan
02-12-2006, 05:20 PM
I have only seen one episode of Masters of Horror so far "Jennifer" it was terrible does the show pick up at all?

Cujo108
02-12-2006, 08:30 PM
I have only seen one episode of Masters of Horror so far "Jennifer" it was terrible does the show pick up at all?

Heh, you saw the rotten apple of the bunch. I'd say give the other eps a chance, you've already put the worst behind you.

Naturally, my vote was for Cronenberg.

Mortis
02-13-2006, 05:35 AM
Calling Eli Roth a "master or horror" and not giving Romero a shot is a fucking joke. Land of the Dead shits all over Hostel and Cabin Fever combined. I'm sorry, but gay jokes and tits don't make up for lack of talent.

bigdaddyhorse
02-13-2006, 06:47 AM
Heh, you saw the rotten apple of the bunch. I'd say give the other eps a chance, you've already put the worst behind you.

Naturally, my vote was for Cronenberg.

I don't know, Deer Woman might've been worse.
Those 2 are far and away the worst. The other 10 are worth watching for sure.

dwatts
02-13-2006, 07:11 AM
Cronenberg. Still, I reckon Cabin Fever and Land of the Dead are about neck and neck in quality :)