PDA

View Full Version : Inferno - Ummmm...

Andrew
10-08-2001, 09:22 PM
What the hell? Just finished watching this and I'm somewhat confused.

****If you haven't seen INFERNO stop reading now, just in case I say something****

Okay, I'm really lost. There is mother Suspiriorum (sp?), Tenebrarum (sp?), and another one. Which one is the chick at the end? Or is she all three?

And what's up with that chick in the music class with the cat? She's the young and cruel mother right? Why doesn't she come back? Or is that why everyone wants Argento to "finish" the trilogy?

Keith Emerson's score pissed me off.

Gabriele Lavia's character is "Carlo" in this AND Deep Red. This doesn't mean anything right?

Why is there a scene identical to Suspiria with a woman in a cab with a storm outside?

So the old man was the servant or what?

Okay I think I'm done :D.

Paff
10-08-2001, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by AndrewBBD

And what's up with that chick in the music class with the cat? She's the young and cruel mother right? Why doesn't she come back? Or is that why everyone wants Argento to "finish" the trilogy?

Well, in a way, she does come back. She's the very first victim in Argento's next movie, Tenebrae. I've always wondered if that was a subtle (and cheap) way of finishing the trilogy.

And I liked Keith Emerson's score.

The old man was Varelli, who designed the buildings.

This is definitely one movie to not try to make any sense out of. One of the things that always fascinated me about Inferno is how the secret passages are larger than the space that contains them. (the final sequence takes place in an area almost as big as the apartment building itself).

Just sit back and enjoy the ride on this one.

crank
10-08-2001, 09:38 PM
You just can't raise the touch quoestions with Inferno, you'll come up scratching your noggin every time.

crank

napalm68
10-09-2001, 12:30 AM
The only thing that could be worse than the Keith Emerson score for Inferno is if it had a score by Genesis.

Andrew
10-09-2001, 01:01 AM
Okay, I guess I gotta watch Tenebre again. Wait...is she the one with the red shoes??

Also, I didn't really hate Emerson's score, it was just...different. The part that plays over the opening credits was really good, but the Three Mother's song was really stupid "MATER TENEBRARUM! MATER SUSPIRIORUM!" At times it felt less like an Argento film because of it.

suspiria
10-09-2001, 05:28 AM
i don't mind the Emerson score to be honest..

Inferno deals with the Mother of Shadows (Mater Tenebrarum) whereas Suspiria deals with the Mother of Whispers (Mater Suspiriorum).. The girl we see in the music class is the Mother of Tears but many people don't catch onto this. The actresses role in Tenebre is in no way related to the Mothers Triology. She just happens to star in both films just as Daria Nicolodi stars in so many of Argento's films.

The third film in the trilogy has yet to be made and god I hope Argento gets round to making it as the Mother of Tears (Mater Lachrymarum) is supposed to be bad ass!!

I supposed the cab scene was reproduced in Inferno to link the movie with Suspiria and give it a similar feel.

Inferno is not a film to love on initial viewings. I love it dearly now after watching the Anchor Bay DVD numerous times.

Erg0n
10-09-2001, 05:49 AM
---And what's up with that chick in the music class with the cat?

She's the mother who live in ROME. The prettiest and youngest of the 3, she doesn't come back because she lives in ROME. and most of the movie takes place in the USA or where ever that mother lives...

---Keith Emerson's score pissed me off.
I like the score. Son't know why...

----Gabriele Lavia's character is "Carlo" in this AND Deep Red. This doesn't mean anything right?

Deep Red isn't part of the 3 mothers trilogy, so i guess not.

----So the old man was the servant or what?

He was the guy who built the buildings for the 3 mothers in the 3 different locations.

Ohh yeah Daria Nicolodi is Argento's wife who had the child Asia Argento. She's in many of his films. they met during the filming of Deep Red.

suspiria
10-09-2001, 06:00 AM
Asia sure is the product of Dario and Daria BUT I am sure they never married...

keith70
10-09-2001, 06:59 AM
I just watched Inferno again and unless I am mistaken, the same actor that played the cab driver in Suspiria, is the same guy that playes the cab driver in Inferno.

I said it a while back and I'll say it again, I think the film is cut. Some of the murder scenes fade out like they're going to a commercial. The story doesn't seem off to me, but the murders do. They seem restrained compared to Suspiria and Tenebrae, the films that come right before and right after Inferno.

Steve Langton
10-09-2001, 10:48 PM
Yep, the cab driver in Suspiria and Inferno is the same guy.
It's a neat idea to connect Pieroni's characters, though there's obviously no intended connection. I guess Carlo's Mater from Deep Red could be subjected to similar'Three Mothers' conjecture,
and it does have much in common with Inferno. Indeed, Marcus Daly and Mark Elliot are often kindred spirits, facing peril from an evil mother, having to break through stone en-route to the heart of darkness and their own journey's end. Have to watch Deep Red and Inferno back-to-back, real soon!

Trout
10-09-2001, 11:08 PM
If you can find it, try getttng the book "Broken mirrors/Broken Minds". It's a very well written book about all (up to Trauma at least) of Argento's films.

Andrew
10-10-2001, 12:18 AM
I want that book! Anyone know where I can get a copy??

Paff
10-10-2001, 12:40 AM
I got one from Amazon about 2 years ago. Don't know if they still have it.

It is good, but I gotta warn you ahead of time, it's a VERY dry and dull book. Maitland McDonagh is the master of the 50 word sentence, with no words less than 20 letters. If you want to see how someone can analyze the fun right out of an Argento movie, get the book.

Still, there's a lot of interesting analysis, but she does go way overboard more than once. She also doesn't hide her bias on which movies she likes: Phenomena gets 2-3 pages tops, and she devotes more ink to the opening 10 minutes of Deep Red than to Suspiria as a whole.

skinnypuppy6
10-10-2001, 03:07 AM
its a pretty good book but it is slightly dull there are a few copies on half.comhttp://www.half.com/cat/buy/prod.cgi?cpid=1199128&domain_id=1856&meta_id=1 (http://)

skinnypuppy6
10-10-2001, 03:09 AM
sorry bad link just search for it in books you'll find it

Yowie
10-10-2001, 04:34 PM
-Better yet, get the book "Art Of Darkness" on Argento from Fab Press. Not the present 192 page paperback, but the upcoming 320 page updated hardcover out in November.

The Chaostar
10-10-2001, 05:24 PM
I LOVE Broken Mirrors/Broken Minds and I really think she is right on the target on every film she analyses. I never watched an Argento film to have "fun", I always thought they were deeply intelectual anyway. Fulci, his movies are great fun (with the possible exceptions of Duckling, Beatrice Cenci and Beyond).

Haven't read Art of Darkness yet, but I soon will:D

straxboy
10-11-2001, 07:03 PM
Whoever mentioned the chick in Tenebre....hope you don't get too excited about her -- cos it's actually a guy !!!

If you read McDonaugh's book there's a real interesting segment on the fact that a transsexual is cast as this role of dominating female against the supposedly youthful Neal's then submissive male -- and then he turns to killing women!!

You guys should give dry academia a try -- much more involving than tabloid journal-jism:D

Paff
10-11-2001, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by straxboy
Whoever mentioned the chick in Tenebre....hope you don't get too excited about her -- cos it's actually a guy !!!

If you read McDonaugh's book there's a real interesting segment on the fact that a transsexual is cast as this role of dominating female against the supposedly youthful Neal's then submissive male -- and then he turns to killing women!!

You guys should give dry academia a try -- much more involving than tabloid journal-jism:D

Ah, see, this is where I have a problem. Now, I haven't read Broken Mirrors in close to two years, so I may be rusty on some things. But the casting of a transexual is incidental. In fact, the role was created for Daria Nicolodi, who is very much a 100%woman! And even though Eva Robins is still a man where it counts, that fact is never even slightly hinted at. "She" even uses a female stage name. If they had used his real name, or had made him wear tight pants to even create a hint of androgeny, then this would all be relevant.

But the girl with the red shoes is obviously meant to be a GIRL. You see, this is where I believe McDonagh sometimes overanalyzes.

Don't get me wrong, I do love her book. But I definitely don't agree with all of her analyis, and I also think she takes inferences that aren't really there. What struck me so much reading her book is that there is almost NO direct input from Dario himself! (save an interview at the end). Most of the quotes from Dario came from other sources. This is a book from someone who has studied and studied Argento's work, but as a result, it's really a book on Maitland McDonagh, and how Dario Argento relates to HER.

No Argento fan should be without this book, but it's not what you think it might be.

Andrew
10-12-2001, 12:10 AM
Yeah, I know it's a man.

NickyDoyle
10-14-2001, 06:07 AM

When my friend and I watch the movie (I watched it before), it was priceless to see the expression on his face after getting turned on to a topless chick, then telling him it was a guy. Worth its weight it gold! :D

About Inferno, weird, weird movie. I had to watch it about 3 times before I began to like it. It's ending also made me jump out of my seat in the day time. The score was so-so (I liked the taxi theme, but the main theme song at the end is atrocious).

straxboy
10-15-2001, 03:45 PM
....do you really think there is anything in an Argento movie that could be considered incidental?

The guy is a highly literate film critic as well as a talented movie director. You really think that in NO WAY is the casting of a transexual pertinent to a film in which the main subtextual dialogue revolves around the figurative transformation of Neal's persona as both author, man then killer and around a film where personality and the perceptions of such are integral to every swift moving plot development ?

Considering that such "incidental" elements of Argento's movies such as the whole Three Mothers saga -- taken from Thomas De Quicy's 'Confession of an Opium Eater' -- is influenced by a particularly spicy thread of pyschoanalysis -- specifically Lacanian -- I think it is fair to say that EVERY single aspect of Argento's films, from the language used, the soundtrack, the mise en scene and the casting and treatment of character and space is absolutely crucial to a full reading of his filmic texts.

The beauty of it is though, that you can read all or nothing and the film will still work on which ever level you decide to view it on. It's whole lot more interesting a film when you think about it though, beleive me...

'Course, thats just my opinion etc etc etc

Taube
10-16-2001, 01:23 AM
One thing I donīt get, which is the woman/man? sorry itīs been a while so "red shoes" doesnīt ring a bell.

canīt wait for my Argento collection Deep Red/Tenebrea

Trout
10-16-2001, 04:08 AM
Originally posted by Paff

Don't get me wrong, I do love her book. But I definitely don't agree with all of her analyis, and I also think she takes inferences that aren't really there. What struck me so much reading her book is that there is almost NO direct input from Dario himself! (save an interview at the end). Most of the quotes from Dario came from other sources. This is a book from someone who has studied and studied Argento's work, but as a result, it's really a book on Maitland McDonagh, and how Dario Argento relates to HER.

No Argento fan should be without this book, but it's not what you think it might be.

There is a reason that the book is "dry": it was a college thesis.

The Chaostar
10-16-2001, 10:33 AM
....do you really think there is anything in an Argento movie that could be considered incidental?

of course not!:D

The guy is a highly literate film critic as well as a talented movie director. You really think that in NO WAY is the casting of a transexual pertinent to a film in which the main subtextual dialogue revolves around the figurative transformation of Neal's persona as both author, man then killer and around a film where personality and the perceptions of such are integral to every swift moving plot development ?

You've got a great point there - I totally agree.
Then again, I like art-house movies too...