PDA

View Full Version : DAWN OF THE DEAD-200 minute PRINT

BigDeg187
01-14-2001, 06:33 AM
My best friend told me he has a friend with both a 200 minute print and a 156 minute German print. I know that one of them is a version made by some guys who compiled all the cut footage, the Argento footage, and the original Romero Directors cut footage. I am dying to get my hands on these. I know for a fact that this complete release would put a company like ELITE ENTERTAINMENT back on their feet! If you know what I mean...or it could even get an up and coming LD/DVD distributer established........

------------------
Wanna see something really scary? Vistit http://www.SavageCinema.com

napalm68
01-14-2001, 10:08 AM
I think elite have lost the will to live...

And as Anchor Bay are working on a "definitive" Dawn of the Dead, I'd tend to go for Anchor Bay.

But given the point you raised about compiling footage from different cuts of the films, that will be a great use for DVD recorders, where you can add back in deleted scenes, merge versions, cut out crap...

------------------
Oh no, mother! Blood!

Jeremy
01-14-2001, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by napalm68:
I think elite have lost the will to live...

Tell me about it. I'm working on the review of their Drive-In disc as we speak. Not only are the transfers for the films themselves inadequate, but their much-heralded "Distorto" sound track isn't anything special either. And we waited a year for this DVD.

napalm68
01-14-2001, 09:44 PM
Yeah, I made the mistake of buying elite's (lower case e) Tobe Hoopers "Eaten Alive" last year. What a shit transfer - bad black levels, wherewhat should have been the blackest shades were actually lighter than other shades of black for most of the film (it got better towards the end). And zero extras.

BigDeg - it's OK to let go, you know. http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/smile.gif Laserdisc is dead. Enjoy the ones you can get now, but understand there is not going to be a resurgence of this format...

------------------
Oh no, mother! Blood!

Jasondog
01-15-2001, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by BigDeg187:
I know for a fact that Anchorbay's version isn't going to be the 200 minute cut, it cant be, they don't even have every little cut of the film.

How do you know what they have and/or dont have?

Argento Fan 2003
01-15-2001, 01:06 AM
You know there's going to be something wrong with the Anchor Bay version. They always find some way to mess something up. I'm beginning to lose excitement over the Suspiria and Opera LE tins...they'll both probably end up missing something.

Mark Relford
01-15-2001, 04:18 AM
Originally posted by Jeremy:
Tell me about it. I'm working on the review of their Drive-In disc as we speak. Not only are the transfers for the films themselves inadequate, but their much-heralded "Distorto" sound track isn't anything special either. And we waited a year for this DVD.

Image also has a "Distorto" audio track for Twitch. http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/wink.gif

------------------
"Have you ever had an Egyptian feast?"

"They're back from the grave and ready to party!"

Jasondog
01-15-2001, 05:43 AM
Originally posted by Argento Fan 2003:
You know there's going to be something wrong with the Anchor Bay version. They always find some way to mess something up. I'm beginning to lose excitement over the Suspiria and Opera LE tins...they'll both probably end up missing something.

Well I only know of 3 DVDs that people have claimed "something is wrong with" (although there may be more that I am unaware of)

A Better Tomorrow 1 & 2
Sleepaway Camp

Since they have released over a hundred DVDs id say thats pretty good. More then I can say for other companies like MGM who hardly seem to care about their OWN movies. Not that Anchor Bay is 100% perfect but they have had a hell of a lot more GREAT releases, then piss poor releases.

To project that something is gonna be wrong before it even streets is unproductive. I mean its not like they are Madacy where EVERY released product is shit. I would say that 95% of the time Anchor Bay releases are superior to what a studio would release on their own, IF they would bother to release it.

As for Dawn of the Dead. As long as they release a set that has every thing that has already been released by them, and maybe clean up the transfer. It would already be superior to anything on the market.

Why exactly is everyone so bitter?

BigDeg187
01-15-2001, 05:53 AM
Because we want the whole kit and kaboodle. We want something that will be ultimate. Something that cannot, willnot, and is impossible to top. Dawn of the Dead is by far the funnest, most entertaining, original, and maybe even the best horror film ever made. We, the people, we, the fans...want a true special edition. Something which has every little bit of footage from every single release, foreign and domestic. Us fans are film hungry, we want it all! GOD BLESS AMERICA! and to all a good night.

------------------

BigDeg187
01-15-2001, 05:56 AM
I know for a fact that Anchorbay's version isn't going to be the 200 minute cut, it cant be, they don't even have every little cut of the film.

------------------

Mark Relford
01-15-2001, 06:33 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jasondog:
To project that something is gonna be wrong before it even streets is unproductive.

This is true. When the finished product is in our hands, then we can start criticizing it.
We don't have any definite details about what's going to be included in the DOTD: Ultimate Edition, besides the already mentioned theatrical cut, Director's cut, and Argento's cut. So, let's wait and see.

------------------
"Have you ever had an Egyptian feast?"

"They're back from the grave and ready to party!"

[This message has been edited by Mark Relford (edited 01-15-2001).]

Paff
01-15-2001, 06:54 AM
I'm actually a little more interested in what GEORGE ROMERO wants, ya know? There's a reason he yells "cut!" and a reason he hires an editor. I'd prefer an ultimate version to be a Romero-approved transfer, and to include deleted scenes that are approved by Romero as well.

C'mon, we've all watched deleted scenes on our DVDs, and most of the time even WE can see why they were cut. So I'm sure the directors are even more embarassed when scenes that they openly consider to be "mistakes" and they deliberately kept from the public showing up on discs.

I do like added stuff, but only if it's what the people involved with the film really want to give us. If a 200 minute version exists, and Romero wants it released, then by all means put it on a disc.

And finally, let's not bite the hand that feeds us in regards to Anchor Bay. So there's been a mistake or two. I highly doubt the major studios were clamoring to release special editions of the Argento and Fulci films. The fact that they're re-visiting Dawn of the Dead period shows that their concerned about giving us a quality version of this film. Give 'em a break, or start your own production company and buy the rights to the film yourself.

BigDeg187
01-15-2001, 07:21 AM
How do you buy the rights to films? I've been wanting to do that for some time. I want to buy the rights to Lenzi's old Mob Movies. Like Violent Naples, From Corleone to Brooklyn, and their are a few others.

------------------

Jasondog
01-15-2001, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by BigDeg187:
Because we want the whole kit and kaboodle. We want something that will be ultimate. Something that cannot, willnot, and is impossible to top. Dawn of the Dead is by far the funnest, most entertaining, original, and maybe even the best horror film ever made. We, the people, we, the fans...want a true special edition. Something which has every little bit of footage from every single release, foreign and domestic. Us fans are film hungry, we want it all! GOD BLESS AMERICA! and to all a good night.

So would I, but Im sure whatever we get from Anchor Bay on a movie THIS BIG will be everything that is availible to them on the film. Look at how they did The Beyond. Im sure they will do a great job with Dawn of the Dead since it is one of the finest horror flicks ever, and I know for a fact that many of Anchor Bay's employees are in LOVE with the film and are anxiously awaiting the release themselves.

However, I am not convinced a 200 minute cut exists. Maybe with footage from all 3 versions combined together it would do 200 minutes but I would have to see it to believe it. Thus if Anchor Bay doesnt have it, I wouldnt be suprised or upset

BigDeg187
01-15-2001, 04:47 PM
I know for a fact that the Anchorbay print wont be a 200 mins cut. But there is a 200 min cut in existence. I know Blackest Heart Media used to have this print, but they stoped selling it along time ago. I feel sorry for the old movie bootlegers, since the dawn of DVD their business has dropped.

------------------

napalm68
01-15-2001, 09:09 PM
You feel sorry for Pirates? Are you a civil libertarian? http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/smile.gif

However, maybe when DVD burners get cheap enough, there may be a resurgence, just like bootleg cds (which were too hard to make when you had to have someone inside a plant to press them for you, dangerous for all concerned).

------------------
Oh no, mother! Blood!

Jeremy
01-16-2001, 03:53 AM
Originally posted by Jasondog:
To project that something is gonna be wrong before it even streets is unproductive. I mean its not like they are Madacy where EVERY released product is shit. I would say that 95% of the time Anchor Bay releases are superior to what a studio would release on their own, IF they would bother to release it.

I agree with you 100% on this. Not only is it unproductive, it's also more than a little bit immature. Over the past few months we've heard a whole litany of complaints about Anchor Bay discs. Some of them are legitimate (the missing footage from Sleepaway Camp), some of them are regrettable but insignificant (the screwed-up credits on Deep Red), and some of them are just plain stupid (the layer change on The Beyond). The criticism has been disproportionate to the problem in many of these cases, which is unfortunate, because Anchor Bay one of the best of the independent DVD studios operating today, and they're taking more flak than they deserve.

[This message has been edited by Jeremy (edited 01-15-2001).]

Se7en
01-16-2001, 06:51 AM
I disagree completely. If a studio makes a mistake people should point it out to them so they won't make the same mistake over and over. If you don't like a cover, fine complain... If you don't like the picture quality, complain... If you don't like the sound quality, complain... It's a matter of free speech and if a customer is satisfied/dissatisfied trust me they'll let you know! And that's a good thing because we pay with our hard earned cash for these movies.

I think it's legitimate and if it wasn't for people complaining we would have never seen some DVD releases, additional footage, "Special Editions" , "Limited Editions" , ect... Like we are seeing today.

Jasondog
01-16-2001, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Se7en:
I disagree completely. If a studio makes a mistake people should point it out to them so they won't make the same mistake over and over. If you don't like a cover, fine complain... If you don't like the picture quality, complain... If you don't like the sound quality, complain... It's a matter of free speech and if a customer is satisfied/dissatisfied trust me they'll let you know! And that's a good thing because we pay with our hard earned cash for these movies.

I think it's legitimate and if it wasn't for people complaining we would have never seen some DVD releases, additional footage, "Special Editions" , "Limited Editions" , ect... Like we are seeing today.

But you can't complain about something that is NOT released. We dont know anything about it.

Oogie Boogie
01-16-2001, 08:16 PM
I love all of the Dead films and hope they get the best treatment possible. this is one of the longest stretching series of films and is actually historic. they NEED to be treated respectfully. Anchorbay hopefully realizes this and get their shit together.

------------------
"Angel to some, demon to others"

landrvr
01-17-2001, 03:00 AM
there has never been a 200 minute cut of Dawn of the Dead. no how, no way. i've never seen a boxcover, or spoken to anyone who has one.

the longest version is as follows (this was snagged from the homepageofthedead.com website):

Distributor: GMT Video Production

Format: Video Country: Germany Year: 1995
Length: 145mins
Cat. Number: 95-013

Information: This is a bootleg version of Dawn which is now banned in Germany.

This is a complete uncut version of Dawn. It contains not only all the gore and splatter scenes, but also seemingly nearly every dialogue-scene and action-sequence from all the different Dawn versions worldwide. Every little bit, even if it's only a second or so, has been put back into this version. But unfortunately the quality of the different master tapes seems to have been rather bad so the quality of the result offers little more than acceptable quality.

BigDeg187
01-17-2001, 03:13 AM
Yeah I've heard of your 145 mins German print, I messed up in the original post and called it 156 mins. But there is a 200 min print, it has never been for sell other then bootleg purposes. A couple of guys a few years back from a university decided to make a complete dawn of the dead version for fun. It included every little itty bit of footage from every single print in existence, thats world wide. That include s the Argento version, the U.S version, the German version, the Directors Cut, and then some! Now I can gaurantee you that not all the footage was the same quality, off course the scenes fit together perfectly and the film made sense but these were different prints and masters they it looks kind of odd at some points. It equaled up to 200 mins. My friend has it, and I'm getting a copy, and if any one wants one I can sell you one.

------------------

Se7en
01-17-2001, 05:12 AM
Oh certainly, I agree on that point but if the studio is already planning and releases the specs of a product that is "incomplete" to a fan then the fanbase of that product should complain/ask nicely for a more complete version.

Honestly though I want the best for Dawn Of The Dead. Having EVERYTHING on a complete package.

landrvr
01-17-2001, 02:21 PM
BigDeg187: sounds cool. let me know how much you want for it.

BigDeg187
01-17-2001, 03:56 PM
Hey I still gotta get it, LOL!

------------------

MovieFan
01-19-2001, 05:46 AM
BigDeg, I'd like a copy too... after you get your copy, of course. http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/smile.gif

A 200 minute cut of Dawn of the Dead... damn, that's longer than Titanic! http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/biggrin.gif

Trout
01-19-2001, 10:49 PM
Do you really think they could do a 200 min. print by combining all the footage? Wouldn't the picture quality vary from scene to scene, plus the music would probably be choppy (seeing as how all the versions had different music scores). It would be worth it either way.

dragonmn
01-20-2001, 08:01 PM
Damn, I want a copy of this too!!

Vamp
01-20-2001, 08:33 PM
BigDeg I want it too, mail me at
verte-breaker@home.com
and
wcwvampirospike@aol.com
for info please.

fceurich39
12-10-2010, 05:07 PM
wow a 200 minute print i have the english 156 minute ultimate cut but i highly doubt a 200 minute print is possible

maybrick
12-10-2010, 05:25 PM
This thread is 10 years old next month. I've nothing else really to say about this post other than if the 200 minute cut hasn't appeared in all of this time then it's a safe bet that it doesn't exist. At that length I wouldn't even call it a "cut". I'd call it raw footage.

buck135
12-10-2010, 06:24 PM
My god Maybrick, i saw this post and almost fell out of my chair. It took me long enough to get a copy of the extended 156 minute cut. If there is more than that I would have assumed that Romero or Savini would have mentioned it by now.

welb25
12-10-2010, 07:29 PM
the mother of all thread bumps :lol: awesome.

baggio
12-10-2010, 07:50 PM
I'm still waiting for an offical dvd release of Needful Things(1993) 3 hour runtime.

I seen it on TNT years ago.

springjack
12-10-2010, 07:57 PM
The 156 minute print I believe but the 200 minute I donīt.
There is not much available footage in all the versions to compile a 200 minute edit.
Also, the 156 minute german print has terrible image quality and only has german audio.

I have a fan edit of the 156 minute cut that was made using the Anchor Bay DVDs.
This is a quality fanedit on DVD-R and presents all the available footage put together.
http://fanedit.org/406/

buck135
12-10-2010, 08:58 PM
I have a fan edit of the 156 minute cut that was made using the Anchor Bay DVDs.
This is a quality fanedit on DVD-R and presents all the available footage put together.
http://fanedit.org/406/

I have that version as well. They did a great job in putting it together.

fceurich39
12-10-2010, 09:06 PM
yep that is the same version i have as well

Grim
12-10-2010, 10:48 PM
156 minutes just seems like too much. The Cannes Cut was already pushing it with the additional 10-15 minutes of footage. 200 minutes is just overkill and would no doubt be an unorganized mess. This thread is entertaining though, especially with the thread starter's insistence that something like this exists.

springjack
12-11-2010, 12:47 AM
yep that is the same version i have as well

I have that version as well. They did a great job in putting it together.

People with great taste...:rolleyes:

buck135
12-11-2010, 01:02 AM
People with great taste...:rolleyes:

Thank you. Dawn is my favorite.

fceurich39
12-11-2010, 02:35 AM
thanks i hope anchor bay releases dawn of the dead ultimate edition blu box set down the road

The Tall Man
12-11-2010, 03:45 PM
"Something my granddad used to tell us. You know Macumba? Voodoo. My granddad was a priest in Trinidad. He used to tell us, "When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth."

In the 200 minute version there is a 43 minute flashback / dream sequence where we see Peter's (Ken Foree's) grand daddy doing battle with legions of the undead which makes Arnie's kill count in Commando look tiny by comparison. I had a copy of this lying around somewhere until only yesterday, now I can't seem to find it ... damn it ;)