PDA

View Full Version : Euro Tuesday

keith70
10-09-2001, 07:44 AM
Wow! This Tuesday is a good day for Italian horror fans. First of all, the Dario Argento documentary, An Eye for Horror is released. And not only that but the Mario Bava documentary, Maestro of the Macabre is released as well.

Plus George A. Romero's Bruiser is finally getting released. The dvd companies are sucking the money outta my wallet like a vacuum.

Erg0n
10-10-2001, 02:11 AM
If you get any one can you give a breif review of them here please?

keith70
10-10-2001, 04:22 PM
I'll probably have to special order these since the stores here carry mostly mainstream movies and even my Best Buy doesn't carry hardly any Argento or Bava. I'm going to Best Buy today. If I see them I'll pick them up and post my thoughts.

The Argento is a must since he's my favorite director. The Bava disc is a must too, since I have only seen a few of his films and am not sure what to get. Hopefully the Bava documentary will give me some good ideas.

skinnypuppy6
10-11-2001, 01:27 AM
I hope to pick those disc up pretty soon thats if best buy stocks them

keith70
10-11-2001, 02:52 AM
I went to Best Buy, Circuit City and the mall today and didn't find either of these discs. Looks like I'll have to special order. The weird thing is, one hole rack was devoted to Scream? When I say rack, I mean several shelves in one whole section. Why so many copies? This movie has been out for ages.

skinnypuppy6
10-11-2001, 03:27 AM
lucky for me ive got 4 bestbuys 3 media plays and 1 tower records that i visit often when I'm out and about "working" so maybe i'll find em as for best buy the one closest to my house always stocks on friday mornings so I might get lucky if not ill be hitten' up dddvd! ..

keith70
10-17-2001, 02:32 AM
Hey ErgOn, I picked up the Argento documentary. They had An Eye for Horror and the Mario Bava documentary at Best Buy today.

I didn't get the Bava disc because I didn't have much money on me. So I was only able to get one. I'm sure the Bava documentary is good though. I noticed they not only covered Bava's horror films, but his Giallos and the film Danger Diabolik as well.

The Argento documentary is awesome. It's very informative and has some great interviews. There are some pretty funny moments on the documentary. Dario looked happier in this interview than I have ever seen him. The film not only goes over his film career, but talks a little about his dad and even shows a baby picture of Dario. There is also some behind the scenes footage. The documentary is pretty short and there aren't any extras, but I would highly recommend this to any Argento fan.

I thought Asia was beautiful before, but Fiore Argento is even more stunning! Dario needs to have more girls.

The one thing I noticed about this documentary, is how they covered Dario's career from Once Upon a Time in the West through Nonhosonno, including Five Days in Milan, yet the omit Phantom of the Opera.

There is quite a bit of footage from Trauma and Two Evil Eyes. I haven't seen either, but this documentary makes them look very interesting. I heard Trauma was watered down Argento, but the scenes they showed in here were brutal. And it looked like a classic to me. Maybe there's an alternate version out there, because the film looked very impressive to me.

If you are a fan of Argento, you MUST add this to your collection. In fact I'd recommend this to non-Argento fans as well.

With Bava and Argento being represented like this, hopefully a Fulci documentary won't be far behind.:)

skinnypuppy6
10-18-2001, 03:45 AM
i picked up the discs too an best buy and they are good but i didnt like how they had a translator talk over dario i would have prefered subs but oh well

mazzariniuk
10-18-2001, 10:12 AM
posted by Keith70
There is quite a bit of footage from Trauma and Two Evil Eyes. I haven't seen either, but this documentary makes them look very interesting. I heard Trauma was watered down Argento, but the scenes they showed in here were brutal. And it looked like a classic to me. Maybe there's an alternate version out there, because the film looked very impressive to me.

I am a big fan of TRAUMA, not sure why this film get's such a raw deal. I have to say that I love all of Argento's work, take each film on its own merits and you all will to. The only film I warn people about is THE STENDHAL SYNDROME, not because it is a bad film - it is a great film, but because I am not that big on rape in films - but it proves what a great director he is, because although there is nothing graphic visually, sound wise those screams say a whole lot more.