PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know if the UK DVD of EMERALD JUNGLE (EATEN ALIVE)/TOOLBOX MURDER cut?

ArrowBeach
12-20-2000, 07:53 AM
No not Tobe Hoopers EATEN ALIVE but Umberto Lenzi (god bless him!) cannibal classic with stock footage from LAST SURVIVOR. Its on DVD from Vipco in UK, they released uncut DVD of SHOGUN ASSASSIN, but cut version of BURNING so I am curious if this is uncut. Also same with TOOLBOX MURDER, a classic 1978 film, on DVD in UK but you know how UK is with nasty violence, so I need to know if its edited. Any info would help, thanks!

Lawrence
12-20-2000, 11:17 AM
According to the BBFC website, Toolbox Murders was rated in February 2000 and received 1.46mins of cuts. As for Eaten Alive it says that it received a 1 second cut in 1987 but was resubmitted in 1992 by Vipco for video relese and recieved no cuts. This is probably the version that they have just put out on DVD.

Whether or not though this is a full uncut version I dont know. It could have been submitted precut anyway. I've not seen this film so i couldnt tell you. If it had any animal violence then that will definately have been removed.

Apparently the BBFC has become more leniant about violence but they are still strict on sex & violence toward animals and children. And they take a dim view on sexual violence consenting or otherwise. Dont expect to see any women hanging on meat hooks by their breasts!

jimmyx
12-20-2000, 02:12 PM
Eaten Alive was pre-cut by the disributor so dont waste your money on it or Toolbox murders.

C.R
12-25-2000, 12:12 AM
Eaten Alive was pre-cut by around five minutes by Vipco before receiving a further cut of one second. If you've seen the full verison of this shit film you'll know that there is a ton of animal cruelty and lots of sexual violence. I wouldn't shit on the film though and if you shell out for any verison of it you deserve what you get. Consider yourself warned.

------------------
[LINK REMOVED]

[Note: This message has been edited by Admin]

DVD Connoisseur
12-26-2000, 04:27 PM
Ouch! C.R - you're clearly a fan of the horror genre and I have respect for anybody who publishes their own horror literature, but don't you think that comments like "you deserve what you get" are a little strong for what is, I'm happy to say, a friendly forum. I've been visiting this site for some time and can say that the forum members are all fans of the genre and not depraved lunatics or sickos (apart from me, of course!). No, seriously, the forum shouldn't be used for pulling apart what other members view - some will be drawn to the "darker" films from time to time but this is all a part of the world of horror. You have to accept that some directors have pushed the boundaries of horror - if their work is in good taste is a matter of personal opinion but the forum shouldn't be a pulpit for preaching or sermonising. I do not agree with cruelty to animals but the fact is that in the 70s/80s some horror directors briefly strayed into this area. By buying a film like "Eaten Alive," the horror fan is not necessarily condoning such behaviour.

C.R
12-27-2000, 07:22 PM
Yeah, sorry about that. i'm being pulled into an arguement about Salo elsewhere which I really don't want to be pulled into. If you like Eaten Alive then that's cool - I just wanted to tell you that the UK version is heavily cut and, in my opinion, the film isn't very good. In saying that I'm not really a fan of the cannibal films but if you msut see one then Holocaust remains your best bet because it has its moments. Didn't mean to offend you in any way and thanks for visiting the site, I love the forum too. This site is ace and i'll probably link to it on our site. If anyone from the Salo thing is reading this: HEY - I'm just trying to get a debate going. Chill out guys!

------------------
[LINK REMOVED]

DVD Connoisseur
12-27-2000, 07:46 PM
No offence taken - sometimes things come over in print in a manner that is not intended. My post was basically me acting as devil's advocate. I haven't seen Eaten Alive but I do own Cannibal Ferox, which I purchased out of interest following all the hype / controversy. Cannibal films aren't really to my taste (compared to other sub-divisions of the horror genre) but I'll probably purchase the Grindhouse version of Holocaust when it finally sees the light of day.

[This message has been edited by DVD Connoisseur (edited 12-27-2000).]

C.R
12-27-2000, 11:27 PM
If the DVD of Holocaust has running commentary from Deodato it will indeed be one curious item! Seems I've pissed a few people off over at the Salo section which was kinda the point. i'm glad to have people debating. Ferox isn't really to my taste either but it becomes one amusing experience with the audio commentary running over it!

jak
12-28-2000, 03:35 AM
Rest assured THERE WILL BE AN AUDIO COMMENTARY OF CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST! I know I was at Cult Con 2000 and I heard from a very reliable source that They[ grinhouse releasing] are recording a commentery with director Ruggero Deodato and Actor Robert Kerman[ Who played as profesor monroe] in one of the hotel roms. So there you go. But I have no idea when this dvd is going to be released, possibly sometime next year but don't get your hopes up. jak

------------------

[This message has been edited by jak (edited 12-27-2000).]

Jeremy
12-28-2000, 05:24 PM
Yup, the disc will indeed have a running commentary. I know a guy on one of the newsgroups who actually helped record it - it has Kerman and Deodato, and, strangely, Lucio Fulci's daughter Antonella acting as occasional translator!

C.R
12-28-2000, 10:35 PM
Damn just when I say I'll never watch another cannibal film I actually get the slightest hint of 'buy' when I hear about Deodato trying to defend the shitload of rape and animal torture in Holocasut. If it's half as interesting as Morghen slagging of Ferox whilst Lenzi tries hard to defend the film on the Cannibal Ferox DVD then count me in. Albeit with much gnashing of teeth...

------------------
[LINK REMOVED]