PDA

View Full Version : "Non Ho Sonno" - "Sleepless" SURPRISE

boyd1955
10-11-2001, 03:23 PM
OK... I know I'd lost all respect for Argento over the last decade... I'd put off watching "Sleepless" because I couldn't take another letdown from a man that I had really respected as a visionary film maker... Well I'm amased and really glad to say that "Sleepless" sees him back on form.

I don't really think he'd made a really good film since "Tenebrae"... "Phenomenon" was daft beyond belief but enjoyable... The first three quarters of "Opera" are wonderful but then it goes right of the rails and goes all Sound of Music. And that heavy metal soundtrack was a right balls up... "Trauma" I have to admit I quite liked on a big screen, but is definately not up to his early form... "Stendahl Syndrome" ( as I've annoyed everyone about quite enough ) I think is his worst film he has ever made. Unwatchable ( In my opinion )... "Phantom of the Opera" was visually good, but the story and acting were shit... Julian Sands could not act to save his life... And Asia is very beautiful and all that but I'm afraid her acting leaves a lot to be desired.

I have to admit that I watched it in Italian with Subs... But "Opera" was also a much better film if watched in that way... Haven't watched the English dub yet... But as I had heard bad things about some of the acting I didn't notice any of that when I watched it... So it could just be bad dubbing as usual.

So for anyone like me who had lost all belief in Argento... Give "Non Ho Sonno" a go... It's stylish... Involving... Colorfull... And the murders are shocking... In other words it works and the man may be back on form... :))))

BlazingMagnum
10-11-2001, 06:28 PM
Er . . I agree with bits of that, but not all of it. Opera . . . The Sound Of Music . . . why, because of the scene at the end? - That only lasted a couple of minutes. The rest of the movie was brutal, intelligent & aggressive. The heavy metal music was as much Argento as the black gloved killers from Tenebrae & Profondo Rosso. You say it as if it was something totally incredible. The score to Profondo & Zombie were both 70s progressive rock scores, Argento is a fan of heavy metal & during the 80s this was very much part of his style. I admit it, it does sound a little bit dated, but then nobody goes on about the fashions in Lizard In A Woman's Skin, or Four Flies On Grey Velvet - and they're equally as dated.
Phenomena (not Phenomenon) had a very fractured narative, but again, this was a very personal work to Dario Argento. And, again - it is dated, but it doesn't make it a bad film. Bizarre narrative & confused plotting makes these films what they are.

It's easy to say something is shit, it's also fashionable. Maybe if Argento would have had everybody's support & backing during the 80s & 90s, instead of (ex) fans & magazines slagging him off - he would have some more enthusiasm to create a movie like NonHoSonno a little bit sooner.

boyd1955
10-11-2001, 07:10 PM
Dear BlazingMagnum
Heavy metal music was dead by the mid 70s... After that it was there for the sad hippy fucks who could not think for themselves... That was my observation of those times :)) ... "Opera"s soundtrack music was dated and inept when it was made
Argento totally lost the plot for the last decade or more... I think he stopped taking whatever drugs he was using before then... Whether he started using something different I don't know... But it didn't work for him... Perhaps he's discovered something new recently
"Phenomenon" was silly... And there's no getting away from it... I don't dislike it... But it's daft as a brush.
"Sleepless" is a great film... Let's hope he can stay on form

BlazingMagnum
10-11-2001, 08:54 PM
Dear Boyd,

Thank's, so much, for your observations on heavy metal.
Now we know how it is, - I'm sure that anyone who listened to heavy metal in the first place will cease as they read your words, and discard anything to do with the subject. Sorry 'sad hippy fucks' - all that peace-loving has obviously destroyed your taste in music, and movies too, for that matter.

I'm certainly a convert to the ways of non-metal.

Incidentally, and who am I to argue? - Did you know that "Phenomenon" was actually a romantic, comedy drama with John Travolta?

Surely you mean "Phenomena" - the 1985 Argento movie?

BlazingMagnum
10-11-2001, 08:55 PM
P.S . Yeh, I agree, NonHoSonno is a top movie, and probably his best since Opera (in my humble opinion).

mutleyhyde
10-12-2001, 04:37 AM
Iron fuckin' Maiden!! :D

Boyd...
Heavy metal, dead by the mid-70s?? Uh, no. Mid-70s you had Zepellin and Sabbath, I'll give you that, but they were the impetus that spawned the tidal wave of metal acts in the 80s. If you didn't notice metal in the 80s, you must have been smokin' more pot than those hippies you speak so fondly of.

Iron Maiden
Metallica
Quiet Riot
Krokus
Slayer
Judas fucking Priest man!
Scorpions
Ratt
Motley Crue
Queensrych

The list goes on. For those of you who weren't there, or decided not to pay attention to it, you'll either have to take my word for it, or do some research on your own. Personally, I consider "Heavy Metal" an 80s phenomena, and anything before that, hard rock. Zeppelin may have been the first to be touted as heavy metal, but it was not until the 80s that the term became specifically used for an isolated genre of music.

By the way...
Moving to Euro Horror.

skinnypuppy6
10-12-2001, 06:08 AM
Originally posted by boyd1955
OK... I know I'd lost all respect for Argento over the last decade... I'd put off watching "Sleepless" because I couldn't take another letdown from a man that I had really respected as a visionary film maker... Well I'm amased and really glad to say that "Sleepless" sees him back on for.

So for anyone like me who had lost all belief in Argento... Give "Non Ho Sonno" a go... It's stylish... Involving... Colorfull... And the murders are shocking... In other words it works and the man may be back on form... :)))) .....welcome back to the fold!!

skinnypuppy6
10-12-2001, 06:14 AM
Originally posted by mutleyhyde
Iron fuckin' Maiden!! :D

Iron Maiden
Metallica
Quiet Riot
Krokus
Slayer
Judas fucking Priest man!
Scorpions
Ratt
Motley Crue
Queensrych...

The list goes on. For those of you who weren't there, or decided not to pay attention to it, you'll either have to take my word for it, or do some research on your own. Personally, I consider "Heavy Metal" an 80s phenomena, and anything before that, hard rock. Zeppelin may have been the first to be touted as heavy metal, but it was not until the 80s that the term became specifically used for an isolated genre of music.

By the way...
Moving to Euro Horror. .....YEAH HYDE WOOOOO ROCK ON!!! BANG YOUR HEAD!!!!WHAT?????????NO TWISTED SISTER???????????"YOUR GUNNA BURN IN HELL" for not putting them in that list!! haha I.A.J.OC

mutleyhyde
10-12-2001, 07:23 AM
Sicky, you uttered the very words I was far too embarassed to utter myself. :D I admit it, I used to listen to TS... um, even saw them live... oh God, did I just say that?? :( LOL

boyd1955
10-12-2001, 10:36 AM
Oh Dear... Oh Dear... Oh Dear :p

BlazingMagnum
10-12-2001, 10:47 AM
Thanks folks, that was the response I was hoping for. Biyd, it sounds like you're a little outnumbered on the metal argument - and I'm afraid I have to confess to seeing Twisted Sister too!

. . . and Maiden (about 6 times), and Annihilator, and Suicidal Tendencies, and Motorhead, and Slayer, and Pantera, and Kreator, and Overkill, and Deicide, and Metallica, and Megadeth, and AC/DC, and the list goes on & on & on - but do you know what? - I never even spotted one person with flowers in their hair, or wearing flares! - Incredible!

Oh yeh, Slayer this weekend too, I'll be sure to tell all the fans that they went out with the 70s.

later.

boyd1955
10-12-2001, 11:01 AM
Hey BlazingMagnum

It seems that the horror genre has a lot of people with very very bad musical taste involved in it... MMMM... That would explain a lot of the nonsense that goes on in this forum

BlazingMagnum
10-12-2001, 11:32 AM
Oh well Boyd, you win some, you lose some.

Let's get back to horor movies & something we agree upon. There's really no point arguing over taste in anything at all - it's all down to the individual. Live & let live I say. There's no reason for aggression over something that really doesn't matter to you anyway.

Take it easy & have a good weekend.

betterdan
10-12-2001, 12:05 PM
Weren't The Carpenters Heavy Metal? I'd like to see (or hear) some of their music in a gory horror movie ;)

BlazingMagnum
10-12-2001, 12:53 PM
I think there was a Carpenters track in the background - during the asylum scene in In The Mouth Of Madness.

*we've only just beguuuuuuuuuuuuun*

skinnypuppy6
10-13-2001, 12:20 AM
for the record I don't like 80's Heavy Metal (anymore)

BlazingMagnum
10-13-2001, 12:28 PM
Neither do most other people.

skinnypuppy6
10-13-2001, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by BlazingMagnum
Neither do most other people. ...I think Hyde does:)

keith70
10-14-2001, 12:51 AM
I still like Iron Maiden and DLR era Van Halen, but that's about it for the 80's metal. I can't stand 90's metal other than Alice in Chains and Marilyn Manson(Some of it). I used to like Pantera, but I can't get into it now.

crank
10-14-2001, 01:03 AM
Boyd, I was wondering since your so anti-metal (as am I), what you do consider good music. When I saw your name I immediatly thought of Boyd Rice (non) but I could be wrong.

crank

mcchrist
10-14-2001, 02:19 AM
Long Live Metal!!! Death Metal, Black Metal, NWOBHM, Viking Metal, Heavy Metal, Doom Metal, Hair/Glam Metal, its all good! Hail King Diamond/Mercyful Fate, Hail Twisted Sister (There is no shame in giving the two-horned salute in the name of Twisted Sister, give it up all you S.M.F.'s!!!) Chaostar, a shout out to Septic Flesh. OK, that's it for me.

The Chaostar
10-14-2001, 03:01 AM
Well this poll is taking a new direction now it seems.
Favorite bands/musicians METAL or NO METAL

My Dying Bride
Elbow
Puressense
Anathema
Burzum
Mayhem
Radiohead
Ulver (hey, anyone with an ear for good music must check their discography i each record is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT from the other in terms of genre, structure and atmosphear)
Orbital
Dead Can Dance
Jean Michele Jarre

Maiden ruled 'till "Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son" album.
Motorhead still rule
Pantera ruled 'till "Far Beyond Driven"

Good music is good music. Either is hip-hop, psychadelic trance, heavy metal (or black, doom or death metal for that matter), pop, darkwave, ethic, gothic or whatever (except greek pop music
:D). Saying that one genre of music is bad or dead makes you no different that those who believe that horror movies are for degenerate uncultured geeks. Music is a man's best companion: It will never betray him.

Greetings Mcchrist!

The Chaostar
10-14-2001, 03:03 AM
Oh, and Twisted f****** Sister rule!;)

boyd1955
10-14-2001, 03:35 AM
Crank... Who's Boyd Rice? ... As for the music quetion... I like loads of different types of music... Very into Rai at the moment... Blink 182 and Limp Bizkit... Francoise Hardy... Leftfield... Michael Nyman... Lot's of dance stuff... Very very varied

mutleyhyde
10-14-2001, 05:10 AM
Originally posted by mcchrist
Long Live Metal!!! Death Metal, Black Metal, NWOBHM, Viking Metal, Heavy Metal, Doom Metal, Hair/Glam Metal, its all good! Hail King Diamond/Mercyful Fate, Hail Twisted Sister (There is no shame in giving the two-horned salute in the name of Twisted Sister, give it up all you S.M.F.'s!!!) Chaostar, a shout out to Septic Flesh. OK, that's it for me.

Ha ha McChrist! Great post, rock on! Thanks for gettin my back Chaostar.
If it's too loud, you're too old!
Metal up your ass!
Slatanic Wermacht!!!!!

Oh, and just a mention of a local favorite... Rigor fuckin' Mortis!!
(and yes, Lemmy and the boys kick ass)

:D

and I'd just like to say to all you anti-metal poseurs, er, I mean posters, this thread IS all in fun... you sissies. ;)

skinnypuppy6
10-14-2001, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by crank
Boyd, I was wondering since your so anti-metal (as am I), what you do consider good music. When I saw your name I immediatly thought of Boyd Rice (non) but I could be wrong.

crank ......Boyd Rice(NON) ROCKS.. I'm pretty sure boyd1955 is Not Boyd Rice

skinnypuppy6
10-14-2001, 07:30 AM
here is some great NON(pun)metal "music".....Winter kalte, NKVD synapscape, Mental destruction ,brighter death now, in slaughter natives, C17H19NO3, sanctum,iminant starvatin, WAPPENBUND,turbund sturmwerk,Grey Wolves,atrax morgue, NON(and everything boyd rice puts out)der blutharsch,Raison D'etre,Merzbow,PUISSANCE,death in june and ofcourse wumpscut,leaether strip, frontline assembly, skinny puppy,yelwork,hocico to name just a few oh yeh the artisian cover for sleepless sucks ass(just to stay on topic)

The Chaostar
10-14-2001, 07:47 AM
BRIGHTER DEATH NOW & RAISON D'ETRE are beyond ANY criticism!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!;)

crank
10-14-2001, 09:08 AM
I didn't actually think he was boyd rice, I just thought maybe it was a tribute. As far as my favorite bands. I'd have to say - Coil, Nurse With Wound, Mentallo & the Fixer, Sol Invictus, Current 93, Antony and the Johnsons, Skinny Puppy, The Hafler Trio, Death In June, Zoviet France, Aphex Twin, Squarepusher and too many other bands to mention.

crank

skinnypuppy6
10-14-2001, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by The Chaostar
BRIGHTER DEATH NOW & RAISON D'ETRE are beyond ANY criticism!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!;) ... what money i dont spend on dvds goes to sweden's Cold Meat Industry

Rainbowthief
10-15-2001, 01:57 AM
HAHAHA!! Where was boyd1955 living after the mid-seventies? Because I remember heavy metal having a HUGE run throughout the entire eighties into the early nineties when Metallica, Iron Maiden, Anthrax, Megadeth, Whitesnake, Queensryche, Poison, Motley Crue, Warrent, Extreme, Great White, Cinderella, Def Leppard, Guns N' Roses and others like them sold assloads of albums and occupied huge chunks of airtime on MTV (back when they played music videos). It wasn't until the release of Nirvana's Nevermind in the early nineties made "alternative" and "grunge" bands the big rage that the metal mania cooled off. I don't like most of the bands I listed, but I can't deny the tremendous popularity they enjoyed for more than a decade. To say metal was dead by the mid-seventies is ludicrous.

Now, about Argento. I'll never understand how all the fair weather fans can say that Argento hasn't made a good movie since Tenebrae or since Opera or since (fill in the blank). The only movie of his I can't say anything good about was Trauma, and I bet if I watched it again with an open mind I could appreciate it more. I expected too much when it came out, assuming that T.E.D. Klein's script would be an improvement over the plot-thin screenplays Argento usually churned out and that the cast, heavy on native English-speaking Americans, would be better than the dubbed Italian and German casts of previous films. Stendhal is one of the best films of Argento's career. I wish fans would understand that he probably won't make another Suspiria or Tenebrae because he's evolved as a filmmaker and developed new (and different) sensibilities. This doesn't have to mean his films will be better or worse--just different.

I haven't seen Sleepless, but I'm looking forward to buying the DVD. I buy anything of Argento's that goes to DVD (hell, I'd even get The Five Days of Milan if it came out!) so as more Argento titles get released by AB, I'll be there to snag 'em up!

boyd1955
10-15-2001, 12:30 PM
Sorry mate I'm British... We aren't as retarded in our musical tastes over here... And of course we have more of a choice... Thank christ heavy metal was never a particularly big thing here... Much more interesting things to listen to... Unfortunately at the moment we seem to be turning out endless drossy boy and girl bands that I can only appologise for... The thing is being Britain it can't keep going that long cos people get bored.
As for Argento... "Sleepless" is great... But I hope he never makes another "Stendahl Syndrome" cos I still can't get the stench of that stinking piece of shit out of my nostrils ( My opinion boys... And I've got every right to it remember... Or you're just being another Ben Laden )

BlazingMagnum
10-15-2001, 01:08 PM
Last night's Slayer show was fuckin' wickedly good. Slayer rule the fuckin' whole world. The end.

Rainbowthief
10-16-2001, 12:49 AM
Ben who?

The Chaostar
10-16-2001, 02:28 AM
( My opinion boys... And I've got every right to it remember... Or you're just being another Ben Laden )

Maybe you and I are not US citizens but that remarke is still highly irresponsible - the tragedy is still very much alive in the minds of many people in this forum. (And who is retarded?)

skinnypuppy6
10-16-2001, 05:24 AM
"Thank christ heavy metal was never a particularly big thing here... "...............hey boyd! the Brittish invented Heavy Metal

Jason25
10-16-2001, 08:12 AM
Closing thread