PDA

View Full Version : Better than DVD?

Paff
05-12-2006, 06:09 PM
Earlier this week, I was digging through some unopened LDs, and came across Dragon Inn...a Hong Kong flick with Brigitte Lin and Maggie Cheung that was a "throw-in" from an auction that had Fist of Legend. I already had the new Tai Seng re-mastered DVD, so I never bothered opening the LD (it was still sealed).

Well, I was watching it, and for a goof, I threw in the DVD and cued them to the same point. A few A-B comparisons, and it was readily apparent which version looked better: the Laserdisc!!! Sure, it's a little fuzzier in detail compared to the DVD, but the colors are rich and vibrant. The DVD is practically black and white!

I was wondering if anyone else noticed other Lasers that look better than their DVD counterparts (and how the hell can that even happen?).

Reservoir Dogs is another that comes to mind, except the LD has one of the WORST side flips (middle of Nice Guy Eddie's phone conversation) in the history of the format. But I still think the laser looks better.

This is why I'll never give up the format, as long as my player holds out.

KR~!
05-12-2006, 07:08 PM
sometimes... VHS might look better than DVD as well, but that doesn't mean it is better. It is really a case by case matter.

Sometimes studios do some weird stuff to their films while remastering them and transfering them to DVD, making them look worst!

speanroc
05-12-2006, 07:27 PM
if u use professional industrial equipment,(panasonic ag-1980) some vhs look comparible to some dvds, but yes some laserdisc(which is the TRUE collectors media), looks better than some , especially the laserdics released in japan...........

horrorlover
05-12-2006, 08:06 PM
Laserdisc don't compress the video like dvd's do isn't that right? I never watched a laserdisc, but from the way that makes it sound, it seems like laserdisc if given a good transfer would be better than dvd.

patmcgahern
05-12-2006, 08:56 PM
The Demolitionist, it's an uncut special edition to boot :)

KR~!
05-12-2006, 09:13 PM
Laserdisc don't compress the video like dvd's do isn't that right? I never watched a laserdisc, but from the way that makes it sound, it seems like laserdisc if given a good transfer would be better than dvd.

no, the best DVD will still look better than the best LD.

JeffCostello
05-12-2006, 09:23 PM
My Japanese "Dellamorte Dellamore" laser looks and sounds great (it's definitely better than the crappy German DVD). I don't feel the need to upgrade to the upcoming AB disk, "Cemetary Man" is such a trashy title.

My Japanese "Phenomena" laser looks better than my DVD, caus' it's signed by Dario.:)

Paff
05-12-2006, 09:37 PM
no, the best DVD will still look better than the best LD.

Yeah, that's my point. It sucks that I go to an old outmoded format, with a disc produced more than 10 years ago, and the video outperforms the current format. No reason for that.

There's a definite decrease in resolution with LD, as limited by the format. But when I see a DVD that has distinctly less rich and vibrant colors than it's LD counterpart, I'm kind of scratching my head...

KR~!
05-12-2006, 11:04 PM
Yeah, that's my point. It sucks that I go to an old outmoded format, with a disc produced more than 10 years ago, and the video outperforms the current format. No reason for that.

There's a definite decrease in resolution with LD, as limited by the format. But when I see a DVD that has distinctly less rich and vibrant colors than it's LD counterpart, I'm kind of scratching my head...

as is everyone else, or at least they should be!

patmcgahern
05-12-2006, 11:11 PM
Add the Widescreen Laserdisc of NEMESIS, although I'm not sure if it's the director's cut that apparently came out as a limited edition VHS the picture is much better than the DVD

Sam
05-13-2006, 01:30 AM
I used to find quite a few titles better than DVD on an older 52" big screen analog CRT tube set. Those same gems unfortunately don't hold up too well on HDTV, even with a good deinterlacer like the Faroudja. I must say that B&W movies hold up very well on LD, as do animated movies. B&W more so -- it's just a really nice, smooth image and since sharpness isn't a concern I don't notice the flaws as much and can concentrate on the movie more.

bigdaddyhorse
05-13-2006, 01:46 AM
The Demolitionist, it's an uncut special edition to boot :)

Yeah the dvd for that is crap all around, probably mastered from vhs. Glad I found that laser for cheap and should just get rid of my dvd as it's worthless when compared.

I think the CAV side (2) of Crierion's Sid and Nancy looked a bit better than the Criterion dvd when I compared them way back.
On pause it definitly did, probably about even when playing.

indiephantom
05-13-2006, 06:48 PM
Most of my 80+ LD's do not look as good as their DVD counterpoints, but there are certainly a few that give them a run for the money. However, in terms of 5.1 DD audio...I have a few titles that seem to sound richer and with deeper bass. I don't have and DTS LD's (or a player capable of utilizing them) but I had heard that the lack of compression made many of them superior to the DVD versions.

Yowie
06-11-2006, 08:39 PM
If one has only a TV set with no fancy sound system connected, LD will sound a lot better than DVD. The sound is fuller with better bass, DVD is thin sounding like a CD. In this case, bigger is better.

Fistfuck
06-12-2006, 01:51 AM
Paff, richer and more vibrant colors are not always a sign of better image quality, only different. The only way to truly distinguish what looks best is to sit down with the movie's director of photography and have him give his approval or disapproval. When an older movie is transferred, especially without input from the filmmakers, the new master can be struck from a number of different sources, the camera negative, the interpositive, the internegative, a release print, all of which have different color and contrast characteristics from one step to the next. Not to mention if a custom process was applied to any of the steps (bleach bypass, ENR, ECN, cross-processing), that information may be missing depending on what the new master was struck from. That's why it's so difficult to say with any great certainty that one release on any format is better than another. A good way to check if a lot of coloring was done after the fact by a company without the blessing of the image maker is to look for noise in the chroma areas. This is a sign of colors being pushed electronically in one way or another and not photochemically as most films are.

Paff
06-12-2006, 05:02 AM
You make a good point about "pushing colors". Hadn't thought of that. It must be the same as the way many audio tracks (on DVD) have the bass way over-cranked, or too much surround. What is supposed to be subtle is overdone, as it gets better consumer response (I.E., look how many people rave about the new audio mix on the Superbit edition of Bram Stoker's Dracula, which is WAY to overcooked in my opinion)

Still, as long as the color doesn't get oversaturated, there are times I prefer that deeper look (Reservoir Dogs is another example)

And Yowie, I've never compared LD sound to DVD sound on TV-speakers, only through my full sound system. And LD sounds better that way too!!

Erick H.
06-12-2006, 06:53 AM
It has often been noted that LD sound can be much richer than DVD's.Oddly,I've had cases where older issue DVD's had better sound than their replacements (Paul Scrader's CAT PEOPLE for instance,the newer Special Edition has a terribly low soundtrack).As has already been said,it varies from title to title.

speanroc
06-12-2006, 09:25 AM
Oh Wow!!!!!!!,DID U SAY A "BETTERDAN" DVD???????????, wait! no that says "better than dvd"...... :lol: , i know i know bad joke , forgive me it's 3:30 am.;)

Nemesis
06-12-2006, 10:45 AM
hey ladykiller, what's with the avatar? i think you may have made a mistake and meant to use that one on match.com

speanroc
06-12-2006, 11:02 AM
hey ladykiller, what's with the avatar? i think you may have made a mistake and meant to use that one on match.com

:lol: :lol: :lol:

wago70
06-19-2006, 09:12 PM
If one has only a TV set with no fancy sound system connected, LD will sound a lot better than DVD. The sound is fuller with better bass, DVD is thin sounding like a CD. In this case, bigger is better.
This is my situation! My DVD's are so low in audio (except sound effects) that I'm constantly turning the volume up and down. I have only TV speakers. Don't have this problem with LD's and VHS.:cool:

NIN
10-12-2006, 08:25 PM
There are rather many LD's that look better than the DVD version. And for audio, LD's PCM audio kicks DD butt.

Just look at my Evil Dead test: http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/showthread.php?t=31511

elahrairrah
12-30-2008, 06:24 PM
Resurrecting this thread to give my 2 cents.

I often compare Laserdiscs of flims that I have to the DVD of the same film. Even though I am a major LD Aficionado, I will be honest in my comparison. I have come across where I see a Laserdisc looking better and/or preferable in my eyes to the DVD version. Often times this is like the aforementioned colors (which goes hand in hand with any analog vs digital debate--analog offering richness, digital offering clarity.)

Yet, a huge player in the comparison is will always come down the the playback equipment. If you use an analog television, this will give some favor to the Laserdisc being an analog format. If you use a digital television, this of course gives favor to the DVD.

With me, I try to meet them halfway since I use a 37" analog computer monitor for my home theatre. The analog nature of the tube benefits Laserdiscs, while the higher resolution (1280x1024) benefits DVD.

So far, only a handful of LDs have looked better than the DVD on my setup (which have separate calibrations for each format using Joe Kane's Video Essentials Laserdisc and Digital Video Essentials DVD to give them the optimal picture quality.) And that is usually just a difference of colors rather than clarity.

I usually attribute any time I find a DVD not as clear as the Laserdisc as the DVD transfer being poorly/lazily done or the source material for the DVD being less than optimal (like a 3/4" tape or something like that.)

A good example of this is the initial release of the anime Cowboy Bebop on DVD in the US. The source for the DVDs was obviously a Laserdisc because the DVD image featured artifacting that is usually relegated to Laserdisc when you're using a crappy Laserdisc player or if you're using a composite cable with your DVD player (cross-color and dot-crawl) as well as MPEG pixellation artifacts (signifying a lazy DVD transfer.) I don't know if this was rectified in the re-relase of the series on DVD, but it was just apparent when you compare the Region 1 DVDs to the Japanese Laserdiscs.