PDA

View Full Version : Stephen King Special Editions

rhett
05-22-2006, 07:41 PM
Paramount has just announced special editions for three of Stephen King's most popular efforts - Cujo, Pet Semetary and The Dead Zone, and Warner has unofficially announced preparations for a special edition of The Shining. Many of King's other films have seen some great special editions already (Carrie, Christine and Creepshow 2, to name a few). Many have not though, so which of the films he's written that hasn't received a special edition do you think deserves one most?

Spitfire
05-22-2006, 07:49 PM
Awesome. I've been waiting for a special edition of The Shining to be released. That and Cujo will be the one's I will be picking up. I have never seen Dead Zone? Is that any good?

I'm also looking forward to the new S.King series coming this June on TNT.

I went with Misery, I loved the book and the movie. One of my favorites from King.

fceurich39
05-22-2006, 07:57 PM
i think creepshow deserves a two disc special edition

Hellbilly
05-22-2006, 08:12 PM
Creepshow got my vote. Wouldn't mind a SE for Sleepwalkers as well.

Cujo108
05-22-2006, 08:20 PM
Maximum Overdrive, especially if they could release it in it's original X cut. Runners-up would be Silver Bullet (I wish Paramount were doing a SE of this one in Pet Sematary's place) and The Mangler.

A special edition for The Night Flier would rule, but it wasn't listed. I hate, hate, hate The Dark Half.

Katatonia
05-22-2006, 08:29 PM
Creepshow would easily be my choice.

RyanPC
05-22-2006, 08:55 PM
Creepshow. Though I do enjoy Creepshow 2, I don't think it's fair that the sequel has an SE and the original doesn't. I'd love a Romero commentary and a documentary on the making of the film.

I also wouldn't mind an SE of Misery. It's one of the best adaptions of King's work (I do like the novel better, however-- it's much more gruesome).

DrHerbertWest
05-22-2006, 09:09 PM
I'd LOVE to see... Creepshow, Silver Bullet, Maximum Overdrive, and IT special editions. I would buy those in an instant, but I voted for Creepshow, being my favorite of the list.

Myron Breck
05-22-2006, 09:17 PM
I also wouldn't mind an SE of Misery...

Try the R2 release. It has two commentary tracks, two docs, two trailers, and a photo gallery. Sweeeet! :D

Myron Breck
05-22-2006, 09:20 PM
Although I agree with the need for CREEPSHOW and SALEMS' LOT SEs, I would love to have the full version of NEEDFUL THINGS out on DVD. I have never seen it when it's aired on TNT before--mainly because I didn't want to see extra footage that had been edited. I love this movie, though that's probably because it's one of the few I haven't read yet. If they'd release the extended cut in a SE with all the trimmings I'd be one happy fella.

KamuiX
05-22-2006, 09:28 PM
Since Creepshow is clearly going to get most of the love, and definitely deserved, I went ahead with my second choice, Misery. It's even one of his most "respected" adaptations, so I don't see why an R1 SE hasn't seen the light of day yet.

SaviniFan
05-22-2006, 09:39 PM
Creepshow.

onebyone
05-22-2006, 10:43 PM
I would like SEs of all but three of these. However, if I had to choose which one to upgrade first, I would go with Silver Bullet.

KR~!
05-22-2006, 10:54 PM
Silver Bullet and Creepshow

MrVess
05-23-2006, 12:27 AM
Many of these already have decent extras. "It" already has a good edition for a TV production - an excellent commentary and some minor additions. The same goes for "Cat's Eye" and "Silver Bullet". "Misery" has even more - two commentaries, featurettes, galleries...

"Dark Half", "Thinner" and "Graveyard Shift" all deserve better releases... but "Creepshow" should get one first, just to complement the existing special edition of its sequel. :) I have the workprint of Creepshow, as well as the behind the scenes documentary, and just the material present there would make for some interesting additions.

KillerCannabis
Silver Bullett and Creepshow. Those have always been 2 of my favorite King flicks. I'm hoping MGM announces that Misery: SE for R1 pretty damn soon.

Paff
I was thinking of Misery first (since it's among the "classiest" of any King adaptation...Kathy Bates won an Academy Award for it), but I had to go with Creepshow as it easily has the best potential for SE status. Commentary from Romero and/or Savini, behind the scenes special effects docs, participation of the many "name" actors who were involved...

Shokk
05-23-2006, 12:56 AM
I would love to have the full version of NEEDFUL THINGS out on DVD. I have never seen it when it's aired on TNT before--mainly because I didn't want to see extra footage that had been edited. I love this movie, though that's probably because it's one of the few I haven't read yet. If they'd release the extended cut in a SE with all the trimmings I'd be one happy fella.

Ditto.:)

bigdaddyhorse
05-23-2006, 01:06 AM
Creepshow by a mile, it's disturbing that part 2 has a better dvd (2 better dvds for that matter) than the classic first.

Honorable mentions go to Maximum Overdrive, It, and Apt Pupil.

tobaccoman
05-23-2006, 01:21 AM
I had to go with Creepshow as well even though I just bought it for the 2nd time. I'd buy it again in a heartbeat if there were a better release. The only others I would care for a special edition of would be The Mangler and Apt Pupil. Misery or Needful Things special editions would be appreciated, but I doubt they could find anything that would prompt me to go out and buy these right away.
I can't wait for the new Pet Semetary and The Dead Zone releases, but I could really give two shits about Cujo although I did like the film. I just don't care to revisit that one again.

maskull
05-23-2006, 01:24 AM
There's only 2 on the list that I have no interest in seeing SEs for: Thinner and Sleepwalkers.

I have to pick up The Dead Zone SE for sure. Awesome movie. One of King's best, but as far as the one's listed I would vote for Silver Bullet. Love the movie and it's a werewolf movie so it's an easy choice for me.

bigwes15
05-23-2006, 02:29 AM
Creepshow is the obvious choice and I would LOVE to see this come out, but I voted for Maximum Overdrive. Not the greatest flick by any means, but with all the hullaboo about the ultra-gory footage that was supposedly cut to avoid the x, this would have to be my choice. I would have to think though, that if it was around somewhere Anchor Bay would have tracked it down for their release. You never know, though. They don't seem to try half as hard as they used to for their horror releases.

tobaccoman
05-23-2006, 02:47 AM
I've never heard of this "x-rated" cut of Maximum Overdrive, but that would make a worthwhile release. Too bad I hate the movie pretty passionately, but I do know a few people who would jump all over it if an SE with those cuts were to be released. I'd be interested, but I'd want to check it out before purchasing because nothing could really save that movie in my opinion.

Noto
05-23-2006, 04:07 AM
I would love Maximum Overdrive with a Stephen King commentary track. That would rock hard. Like, AC/DC hard.

Myron Breck
05-23-2006, 02:10 PM
"Dark Half", "Thinner" and "Graveyard Shift" all deserve better releases....

I thought that the release of THINNER was pretty impressive considering how much people hated it (I rather enjoyed it as a guilty pleasure). Commentary track, trailer, SFX featurette...not too shabby. Plus, it was a Republic Pictures release and we have already discussed the possibilities there. You may get your wish on that one! :)

4Gotten1
05-23-2006, 02:18 PM
Although Creepshow is tempting for my vote, I went with The Dark Half. I think a good SE of this film would garner more interest in it. Of course would need an appropriate anamorphic transfer of the film, currently available in only an R1 fullscreen version. This is not my favorite King adaptation but I feel it is still underrated, and holds a special place in my heart: My wife and I went on our first date together and saw this film, years ago. Plus i'm a huge Romero fan and, love it or hate it, all of Romero's films deserve a decent release, IMO.

MrVess
05-23-2006, 02:56 PM
Oh my... The US disc of "Thinner" does have all those extras, indeed... :O

Now I'll have to think of getting the film... again. :\

MrVess
05-23-2006, 03:04 PM
I think I can predict what King's commentary for "Maximum Overdrive" would go like...

"Hello. I'm Stephen King, and I'm here... to scare you!"
"Wait... what the hell is this?"
"WHAT?!? YOU TOLD ME THIS WAS A COMMENTARY FOR NIGHTMARES AND DREAMSCAPES!!!"
<stomp - stomp - stomp - door creak - SLAM!>

Alternatively, he could pretend that he "always intended" to make a parody, as he used to say for a while. But since he eventually did admit to failing miserably with this film, against intentions - in, I believe, "Danse Macabre" he says something to the effect of "I can recognize a bad movie since I'm responsible for a stinker called 'Maximum Overdrive' myself" - he probably wouldn't have much choice other than total honesty... :)

DrHerbertWest
05-23-2006, 03:08 PM
Aw, I love Maximum Overdrive... I just watched it last week and fell in love with it again.

krugerkid13
05-23-2006, 03:47 PM
went with creepshow with dark half a close second

_pi_
05-23-2006, 04:36 PM
I went with Needful Things as I've heard there's a 3-hour version circulating somehwere. I want to see that version. Always thought that movie was pretty good, even if it was very flawed.

I'd also like to see a SE of The Dark Half. My ideal SE for IT, however, would be a new cut of the film. Or rather just a new film.

thrashard76
05-23-2006, 07:15 PM
Creepshow

reddye5
05-24-2006, 01:31 AM
Once again, Creepshow. I actually still own the graphic novel that was released around the time the movie originally came out. It looks like a giant comic book. The artwork is awesome!.

They should definately turn that into a dvd booklet size, and have it included as part of the special edition package.

Man, they better hurry up; Hal Holbrook and Fritz Weaver are getting ancient. E.G. Marshall died in 1998. That sucks. He was excellent. "What's the matter Mr. Pratt; bugs got your tongue?" Classic.

I want to see interviews with: Leslie Nielson, Ted Danson, Ed Harris, Hal Holbrook, Fritz Weaver. Savini, Romero, Carrie Nye, Tom Atkins, Stephan King, Adrienne Barbeau, and Gaylen Ross! Everyone was in this flick!

Shit, this movie ruled! The comic book motif would make for great dvd menu motions too. I also wonder if any deleted scenes exist somewhere.

This needs to happen. I've been waiting since the dvd format started for an SE of this. NOW:fire:

Gore Lunatic
05-24-2006, 08:15 AM
Salem's Lot. I love that fuckin' film. Creepshow a very close second though.

Lucio Romero
05-25-2006, 10:36 AM
Hey Everyone,

SALEM'S LOT. Behind Dawn of the Dead it's my favourite film of all time and whilst Creepshow is my third favourite film ever, I would kill for a special edition of SL.

One of the reasons is that so little is still known of Salem's Lot compared to my other favorite horror films. There is not a lot of behind the scenes photos from the filming, not a lot of goss about the filming and what went on behind the scenes.

With Dawn I have multiple versions and convention DVDs, Creepshow has a workprint & behind the scenes DVD doing the rounds. But with SL, there is nothing that has surfaced as far as deleted scenes or extra footage so a SL SE with a Hooper commentary is desperately needed IMO. The cast are fairly accessable too so a documentary wouldn't be out of the question. Heck, even I've managed to get in contact with Brad Savage, Jules Brenner and Assistant Director John Whittle and they were more than happy to share their memories with me.

I would also love a Needful Things SE. Very underated film plus I have yet to see the 3 hour version. I personally can't wait for the Cujo, PS & DZ DVDs.

LUCIO!!!!!!

---------------------------------- :evil: ---------------------------------

Grease Guy : Four pounds of grease...that comes to 63 cents.
Homer : Woo Hoo.
Bart : Dad, all that bacon cost 27 dollars.
Homer : Yeah, but your mom payed for that.
Bart : But doesn't she get her money from you.
Homer : And I get my money from grease, what's the problem.

dwatts
05-25-2006, 10:46 AM
Firestarter. The Tangerine Dream soundtrack would sound amazing in 5.1 surround!

BoredSeal
05-25-2006, 11:28 AM
Sleepwalkers. Great movie, I can watch it every year again. :)

wago70
06-08-2006, 05:27 AM
CREEPSHOW Without a doubt, needs a Special Edition.

Herbert_West
06-09-2006, 05:37 AM
Creepshow is dying for a King/Romero commentary.
Unedited dailies of Ed Harris' awesome dancing would be great too!

Shokk
06-28-2006, 12:52 AM
After watching my Artisan release of Cujo again..i would change my vote from Needful Things to it.It's been awhile but i didnt remember it being that bad.At least most of the ones mentioned have somewhat decent releases already...this puppy was hurtin'.