PDA

View Full Version : Euro Horror DVD of the Month - October 01 - Tenebrae

Jason25
10-16-2001, 08:09 AM
Damn, been away for a few days, good to be back.

Even though this disc has been out for a while and while some fans contend it is missing a few scenes, I still love this dvd and this film.

Tenebrae has some excellent scenes, cool gore, and very good acting. I definitely consider this to be one of my favorites from Argento.

While this may not have the same visuals as say maybe Deep Red or Suspiria, Argento still manages to captivate with a few memorable death scenes.

AB gives us a pretty nice disc. Not without a few flaws, I am glad to have this disc in my collection.

Opinions?

slinker
10-16-2001, 08:53 AM
Yeah i agree , Tenebre is just classic Argento. The disc is pretty cool too , its better than the old laserdisc i used to own certainly i think Anchor Bay did a good job on this one....Tenebre is up there as one of the best Giallo`s =^,^=

The Chaostar
10-16-2001, 10:30 AM
That scene over the house... and then the scene where she sees the killer's face through the shreded shirt before her demise...

Come to think of it, the movie is full of great scenes, really well staged. It is a masterpiece really. I own both AB and the french DVD. AB DVD is good looking and has the somewhat not that easy going commentary but it ain't anamorphic. Not that I have a problem now that I own the french version but I think that AB should re-release it.:)

Paff
10-16-2001, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by slinker
its better than the old laserdisc i used to own

Which laserdisc is that? See, I own Tenebrae on LD only, but it's the one by the Roan Group, which AB basically ported. I would think that's the same if not better than AB's version (direct LD ports don't make good DVDs). Is there an older European LD floating around that you're referring to?

As far as the movie itself, I enjoy it quite a bit, and it's one of Dario's more re-watchable films. But the fact that you can watch it over and over again underscores something: It's not one of his better films. You see, I find that a good Argento film really makes you think, and takes something out of you. Thus, it's not an experience you want to go through all the time. Tenebrae really doesn't do that. It's as close as Dario came to a "popcorn" flick, and makes for good mindless fun (well, mindless compared to the rest of the Argento resume).

Why is it mindless? Well, as much as everyone loves the camera crawl, what purpose does it really achieve? It's not meant to be the killer's POV (Dario says so himself), and it really just looks like Dario showing off.

Then there's the bright lighting scheme and "futuristic" look. These are both interesting, but not outstanding. Argento said he wanted this movie to be "5 years in the future". OK, I didn't see this in 1982 (or even 1987), but again, it really doesn't seem special.

Now, my biggest two complaints about Tenebrae:
First, the incredibly high body count. I think it's pretty safe to call this the most murders in an Argento film. But too many murders and the viewer becomes desensitized to it. Deep Red had just the right amount of killing, but in Tenebrae it's way way way too much. A character comes on screen, then he or she is dead. Very little time to examine that character. In fact, there are several characters who aren't that important to the plot, and it seems more like they're just introduced to become eventual corpses.

My other main gripe about it is the conclusion, and revelation of the murderer. Going by the clues given, you still can't come up with the killer's identity, in fact, it's impossible. (I'm trying to keep this spoiler-free). I'm finding that I'm really enjoying the Giallo genre, especially because all the important clues are laid out to the viewer, and technically can solve the murders himself. But it takes a leap of logic to do that in Tenebrae. Compare that to Bird With the Crystal Plumage, Deep Red, or even The Stendhal Syndrome, where it's all right there in front of you.

And I haven't even gotten into the girl with the red shoes yet....

Very good movie, but it's "Second Team Argento" in my book.

AceRimRat
10-16-2001, 08:58 PM
Not the best Argento I've seen, but I really enjoy it.

Lots of bodies and gore - it's a lot more traditional a movie than some of the others. More... I don't know, more a horror than a giallo?

But I like it quite a bit.

DVD Connoisseur
10-16-2001, 09:33 PM
I must admit, I have a soft spot for Tenebrae. I found it genuinely entertaining - a great whodunnit (even if it's relatively unfathomable). The camera-work is (of course) fantastic and Dario keeps the story moving at a fair old pace. Surreal at times but still thrilling.

I keep my fingers crossed for a re-issue but it doesn't look like AB will be working on a new release of this title for quite some time.

Andrew
10-16-2001, 10:38 PM
This is definitely really high up there on my Argento list. I always wondered why it was usually "just okay" with most people. I loved it, the whole thing was just fun.

The Chaostar
10-16-2001, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by AndrewBBD
This is definitely really high up there on my Argento list. I always wondered why it was usually "just okay" with most people. I loved it, the whole thing was just fun.

"A Big Multicoloured Party!"
Argento on Tenebre - from Dario Argento's World Of Horror

Erg0n
10-17-2001, 02:16 AM
I don't know, I really didn't like this film much compared to his other works.

slinker
10-17-2001, 09:18 AM
Which laserdisc is that? See, I own Tenebrae on LD only, but it's the one by the Roan Group, which AB basically ported. I would think that's the same if not better than AB's version (direct LD ports don't make good DVDs). Is there an older European LD floating around that you're referring to?

Oh!...i wasnt aware of this, my laserdisc is the same one as yours.Maybe it just looks better on my new TV, i didnt have my laserdisc player when i got my new set so i cant compare...so they got their print from this disc...hmmmm Cheeky buggers =^,^=

NickyDoyle
10-19-2001, 02:45 AM
This is my personal favorite Argento flick for a few reasons. Its a very kinetic film. Deep Red was very brooding and lingering in the way it pours on the suspence, while Tenebre is fast paced and bombards the senses with its energy. It's also very psycho-sexual (the killer mostly kills women) in nature.

Not only that, but the acting good, bloody, and has a great shock ending.

The best part is that Peter Neal (the protagonist) is from Rhode Island. :D :D

RJMacReady
10-19-2001, 08:18 AM
Although I have only seen this on VHS, so far it is my fav Argento movie.

The movie is paced really well. I love the fact that there are two killers. Also the soundtrack is awesome. Probably my fav soundtrack next to Suspiria.

I am patiently waiting to buy this disc. I just wish retail stores had it for a decent price. Suncoast was the only place I have near me that sells it and they are asking $30.

From what I have read there is only around 10 seconds missing. Is there any version be it VHS, LD or DVD, that is totally uncut?

Peter Vincent
10-19-2001, 04:19 PM
Tenebrae may not be my fav Argento flick, but a god time nontheless. The only gripe I have is the atual DVD. The trailer is muted on my JVC XVSA70BK, yet the trailer plays just fine on my other players! Go figure!.....

Sam D
10-19-2001, 05:56 PM
Actually, I think that you can deduce the killer from one critical scene. It's when the agent is waiting for... someone. I won't spoil it. I wrote a brief comment on this movie elsewhere.