PDA

View Full Version : What Are You Afraid Of?

Mark Relford
12-20-2000, 08:10 AM
Well kiddies, it's time for a little shriek and tell! (hehehe) I'll go first.

Spiders creep me out. The little ones don't bother me. But when it comes to the ones that look like they've stepped out of a Bert I. Gordon flick, well, that's another story!
It probably goes back to the time when I accidently stumbled into a nest of Black Widow spiders at the age of seven. http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/eek.gif Also, watching The Kingdom of the Spiders didn't help matters much! That chilling ending was engraved in my brain.
Snakes are another story. (YIKES!!!)

Got any fears to share?

------------------
"Have you ever had an Egyptian feast?"

DeepDownTraumaHound
12-20-2000, 04:02 PM
roaches are it for me! silly, yes. but they're nasty! I am terrified of them! They are so sneaky and filthy! die! die!
On a horror note, I slept on my parent's floor after the fisrt time I saw
Texas chiansaw massacre. I was 11!

------------------
"Do you have to open graves to find a girl to fall in love with?"

joltaddict
12-20-2000, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by DeepDownTraumaHound:
I slept on my parent's floor after the fisrt time I saw Texas chiansaw massacre. I was 11!

JESUS CHRIST!!!! Were you raised by the Manson Family? Who lets an 11 year old watch TCM?

------------------
Further Proof of my Obsesive-Compusive Disorder (http://www.crosswinds.net/~joltaddict/dvdcatalog.htm)

DeepDownTraumaHound
12-20-2000, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by joltaddict:
JESUS CHRIST!!!! Were you raised by the Manson Family? Who lets an 11 year old watch TCM?
Well, Noooo. My brother rented it and I watched it with him. minus parental consent. The Manson family lived next door.

Vdlman
12-20-2000, 09:13 PM
Spiders really scare me too. But I was never that afraid of snakes though. Another thing I'm afraid of is really big staircases.

Mark Relford
12-20-2000, 09:34 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by DeepDownTraumaHound:
[B]roaches are it for me! silly, yes. but they're nasty! I am terrified of them! They are so sneaky and filthy! die! die!
On a horror note, I slept on my parent's floor after the fisrt time I saw
Texas chiansaw massacre. I was 11!

That's not silly at all. I can't stand those filthy bastards! I hooked my friend up with some chick last summer. We went to her house and it looked like something outta Creepshow! There were roaches everywhere! (Wall to wall roaches.) She seemed oblivious to the swarming critters. One landed on my friend's head. A few got in my shoe! http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/eek.gif
We decided to haul ass after that. I've been apologizing to him ever since.

------------------

Rock
12-20-2000, 09:43 PM
Snakes (big, little, venomous or not, doesn't matter...I'll take a spider anyday!)
Serial killers (few things are more frightening than a damaged human mind)
High places (absolutely paralyzing)
The ocean (although I LOVE lighthouses, storms, shipwrecks, and tsunamis!)

AceRimRat
12-20-2000, 09:51 PM
Don't like bugs or heights.

But after I saw Jaws and Jaws 2 back-to-back at a birthday party (I was 10), I didn't go swimming for two years.

How's that?

Cujo108
12-20-2000, 10:05 PM
My biggest fear is tornadoes.

mutleyhyde
12-21-2000, 12:06 AM
Lawyers
Politicians
Fundamental Christians

------------------
"When I go to confession, I don't offer God small sins - petty squables, jealousies - I offer him sins worth forgiving!"

May the Hammer eternally bleed!
M. Hyde

Jamm
12-21-2000, 01:07 AM
Roaches and spiders and snakes, Oh my!!! They don't exactly frighten me, but they do certainly give me the willies something fierce. Except for large pet snakes (boas and pythons), they're cool. It's the quicl little slithery ones that don't particularly care for.

As for actual fears? Large bridges!!! I hate going into and out of Manhattan on those friggin things!!! The craziness of driving in Jersey is woth it just so I can take the Holland Tunnel!!!

I used to be afraid of heights (or should I say, falling from them) until I worked up the courage to go bungee jumping. Now I'm an addict!!! Sky diving is next!!!

jae
12-21-2000, 01:22 AM
Fears.. I have a fear of aliens.. Like say I'm watching one of those crappy 'evidence of alien existence' shows and they show alot of pictures or recreations of aliens.. That freaks me out and I have nightmares of an alien coming into my room and paralyzing me to the bed while they do things to me. http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/biggrin.gif

Another thing is the ocean.. Ever since I saw Jaws.. And this giant turtle movie called Bermuda Depths.. I have trouble even looking at pictures of sharks or anything taken underwater. I love the idea of sea monsters too, but they freak me out as well.

Forgot to mention supernatural horror movies.. Ghosts, demons, etc. The Shining scares the crap out of me yet I feel nothing towards The Exorcist.. Mario Bava's Kill Baby Kill freaked me out a little too when I watched it a few nights ago.. Similar to The Shining in a few ways.

[This message has been edited by jae (edited 12-20-2000).]

Funktion
12-21-2000, 01:31 AM
I hate bees!

Scorpio
12-21-2000, 02:34 AM
Pan N' Scan transfers.

Dave
12-21-2000, 04:00 AM
My wife.

------------------
David W. Anderson - dave@horrordvds.com
Webmaster - www.horrordvds.com (http://www.horrordvds.com)

Jeremy
12-21-2000, 04:23 AM
Razor blades, snakes, heights and driving in the state of Massachusetts.

jeffschmidt
12-21-2000, 07:21 AM
This is true: The Exorcist. I've never been able to watch it all the way through; not even when it's on TNT and is edited for TV. My fiance tried to take me to the recent theatrical re-release & I told her to forget it!

I know, I know: I'm a big sissy!

------------------
"I like that satellite TV, Pa!" -Ellie May, Redneck Zombies

Dave
12-21-2000, 12:48 PM
driving in the state of Massachusetts.

Yeh tell me about it. I live in New Hampshire but I'm right on the border. The drivers around here suck, plus the road system is horrible too.

------------------
David W. Anderson - dave@horrordvds.com
Webmaster - www.horrordvds.com (http://www.horrordvds.com)

AceRimRat
12-21-2000, 09:49 PM
You should live in Jersey, where I just moved (from Pennsylvania). http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/frown.gif

And *they* are making *me* take a test to get my driver's license switched.

I think they unhook my turn signal wires when I get the registration changed, too.

DVD Connoisseur
12-22-2000, 09:46 PM
The supernatural, psychos, heights and death! Oh yes, spiders as well! The most frightening movie I've ever seen is The Exorcist. I mean, look at that face at the top of the page. That's really horrible and it gives me the collywobbles!

hojimoji
12-22-2000, 09:50 PM
I in no way mean to make fun, but where does a term like collywobbles come from? Am I missing something?

G.

DVD Connoisseur
12-22-2000, 10:56 PM
It's a tongue-in-cheek descriptive phrase, like "goose bumps." hojimoji, I believe it's a British expression but you'll rarely, if ever, see it in print. I like it because it's fun. Who knows, maybe I can corrupt the US with UK expressions!?

hojimoji
12-22-2000, 11:04 PM
I thought it might be British. I just didn't recognize it, which is rare as I have quite a few Brit friends and am familiar with lots of expressions most Americans might find strange.

But, in print, I think it works well. I might even use it myself.

Thanks for the reply.

G.

mutleyhyde
12-23-2000, 01:22 AM
I believe the Kiwis use it frequently.

David666
12-23-2000, 05:59 AM
"That's not silly at all. I can't stand those filthy bastards! I hooked my friend up with some chick last summer. We went to her house and it looked like something outta Creepshow! There were roaches everywhere! (Wall to wall roaches.) She seemed oblivious to the swarming critters. One landed on my friend's head. A few got in my shoe! "

That sounds like a girl I know. Gina. Ahhhh, her house was covered in 'em and she payed no attention. The so-used-to-them-you-don't-notice-anymore thing is creepy in and of itself.

"I slept on my parent's floor after the fisrt time I saw Texas chiansaw massacre. I was 11!
JESUS CHRIST!!!! Were you raised by the Manson Family? Who lets an 11 year old watch TCM? "

My parents let me watch Salem's Lot at age five, was around that same age when I saw Dawn of the Dead at the theatre; was 12 when I was subjected to a quad-feature of both TCM and TCM 2, Scarface and The Exorcist. And they wonder why I am so weird!

Spiders freak me out. Zombies, though not necessarily 'real' scare the crap out of me. And man, roaches are the nastiest little things I have ever had the misfortune to come in contact with. YUCK!

Oh yeah, and stray dogs.

------------------
-David

"Didn't they tell you Kirsty, the rules of the fairy tale have changed. Not only am I the wicked stepmother, but I'm also the evil queen. So come on! Take your best shot, Snow White!"
- Julia (Claire Higgings)
Hellbound: Hellraiser 2

"If I go crazy then will you still call me Superman?"
... who knows, its on the radio all the time.

Mark Relford
12-23-2000, 08:01 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by David666:

stray dogs.

Good one, David666! I'm not very fond of Doberman pinschers. The ones in my neighborhood are mean motherf!ckers.

Maybe we should get those chicks a boatload of Raid for Christmas. http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/wink.gif

------------------

[This message has been edited by Mark Relford (edited 12-23-2000).]

DopeChamberX
12-23-2000, 08:47 AM
Mass hysteria. Just seeing this in movies really scares the shit out of me. Oh, and my boss. He sort of looks like senator Kelly from the X-Men. Creepy stuff.

------------------
"It's not who you come with, it's who you take home." - Prom Night 4

"...find something you love doing and do it for the rest of your life..." - Rushmore

Jasondog
12-23-2000, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by jae:
Fears.. I have a fear of aliens.. Like say I'm watching one of those crappy 'evidence of alien existence' shows and they show alot of pictures or recreations of aliens.. That freaks me out and I have nightmares of an alien coming into my room and paralyzing me to the bed while they do things to me. http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/biggrin.gif
[This message has been edited by jae (edited 12-20-2000).]

...Those weren't nightmares dude http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/wink.gif

RyanPC
07-15-2003, 12:08 PM
WOW... I saw this thread and thought... what an interesting one to revive... :D

I'm afraid of roaches too. Creepy little buggers... they've freaked me out ever since the "They're Creeping Up on You" segment from Creepshow. :nervous:

R. I. P.
07-15-2003, 01:38 PM
:fire: :fire: Wasps and bats! :nervous: :nervous:

I was fishing around midnight recently under a lamp which illuminates our pier. I turned around to see a bat the size of Baghdad hovering directly in front of me about a foot from my face. You could see the blood in it's teeth and the fierceness in it's eyes. I tell you I let out a shriek that was probably heard clear across the lake. You could see lights come on one by one all along the shoreline for the next few minutes and people looking out their windows to see what the hay was going on. :lol:

Needless to say, I don't do much fishing at night any more. I now fish during the day only to be attacked by wasps!!!! :cry: Think I'll take up golf! :D

R. I. P. :glasses:

r_burgos2003
07-15-2003, 04:30 PM
Piranha

The Chaostar
07-15-2003, 04:48 PM
The dark.

onebyone
07-15-2003, 05:01 PM
Ants. I hate ants, can't stand the sight of them. It just seems so damn wrong for such little creatures to be able to organize and get into straighter lines than we can. There is evil there, I just know it. :nervous:

r_burgos2003
07-15-2003, 05:59 PM
:lol: Empire of the Ants anyone?

RyanPC
07-15-2003, 06:08 PM
Oh yeah, I also hate bees and wasps. :nervous:

Atmims
07-15-2003, 06:51 PM
what gives me the chills is perfectly organized shit that shouldn't be perfectly organized. It's hard to explain really. Dirt dauber nests, roach nests, etc. Any kind of insect nest gives me chills.

This picture right here gives me chills like no other:

http://www.fineart.sk/gray/image1001.gif

It's a cross section of a childs skull with thier adult teeth all lined up inside. That picture will give you an idea of what really creeps me out. :nervous:

Tye
07-15-2003, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by mutleyhyde

Fundamental Christians

------------------
"When I go to confession, I don't offer God small sins - petty squables, jealousies - I offer him sins worth forgiving!"

May the Hammer eternally bleed!
M. Hyde :nervous: :nervous: :nervous:
You're not alone.
Others of mine: Having a long/drawn-out death, snakes (although I do find them a bit intriguing), heights, mass hysteria & driving in L.A.
:nervous:

DefJeff
07-15-2003, 06:56 PM
spiders, insects in general :nervous:

Rock
07-15-2003, 07:13 PM
I have to watch out for red ants myself, deadly allergic here, those little bastards bite like piranha and cause a nasty reaction...have to keep an EpiPen handy where I live...

Cujo108
07-15-2003, 11:49 PM
All of you are a bunch of wussies! ;) I love insects, snakes, and arachnids. I have several books on them, and hell, when I get stung by an ant or any other bug, I won't even kill it.

Anyways, my greatest fear is still tornadoes, and they always will be. Living in Tornado Alley, I've had my encounters, and I've never been more terrified. I always have to check news reports when any type of storm pops up too. Of course, while I'm terrified of them, I am also truly fascinated by them.

Applesngore
07-16-2003, 01:49 AM
I like the insects and snakes and spides too, Cujo. All bugs are great! :D

I love to go to the beach at night, but I never can stay in the water too long becuse I fear I'm going to bump into a shark. Dark water and deep water scare me. :mad:

I get wicked scared when the doorbell rings and I'm home alone because one time this group of guys came to my house when I was alone and they had masks on (it wasn't Halloween!) and I had to call 911. :eek:

I don't like leaving a door open, so I have to shut and lock every door behind me. Even when I sleep here alone I have to have the closet doors and the bedroom door shut. :confused:

I fear health issues like brain tumors and cancer, but everyone
worries about stuff like that. :eek2:

When I was younger I used to be terrified to into the stacks in the North Providence library. To this day I still get a little nervous when being in the upstairs floor of the main downtown library because I always think some psycho is going to be lurking around quietly up there. :eek1:

aoiookami
07-16-2003, 01:54 AM
I'm deathly afraid of heights, even to the point of going up a second or third story escalator in a mall makes me extremely nervous.
other than that, large bugs like spiders and centipedes (sp).

shift
07-16-2003, 08:48 AM
MIB.

;):banana:

Latency
07-16-2003, 08:51 AM
http://www.garagelan.com/images/avatars/exorcist.jpg

hell ya!
07-16-2003, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by DefJeff
spiders, insects in general :nervous:

Same here. :nervous: :nervous:

Mortis
07-16-2003, 09:09 AM
I've been affraid of heights for as long as I can remember.

Mortis
07-16-2003, 09:10 AM
I agree. :eek1:

Originally posted by Latency
http://www.garagelan.com/images/avatars/exorcist.jpg

Nemesis
07-16-2003, 09:13 AM
thats a pretty fucked up pic right there.. wheres that from? looks familiar.

as for being scared of shit? mainly just bugs and spiders and stuff..

not scared of snakes so to speak.. just of being biten.. ie i can look at snakes at the zoo fine

Mortis
07-16-2003, 09:16 AM
That's Regan.

Nemesis
07-16-2003, 09:19 AM
from the Exorcist? she looks a bit scarier there.. im guessing because of the colouring.. plus because its out of context

RyanPC
07-16-2003, 09:22 AM
Aeon, that pic isn't really Linda Blair... if you didn't know it is a picture of the head spinning robot of Linda Blair that they used for that famous scene. :)

Nemesis
07-16-2003, 09:31 AM
whoa, its pretty funky for a fake head :) wasn't very obvious that it was fake in the movie .. then again ive only seen the exorcist once (that i can remember).. and even then i was distracted by my mates laughing..

Latency
07-16-2003, 09:47 AM
My post count :nervous:

Atmims
07-16-2003, 03:31 PM
:evil: \m/

zombi3
07-16-2003, 04:16 PM
Flying freaks me out. There's just something about the idea of being trapped inside a plane while it plunges 30,000 feet into the ocean (or the ground for that matter) that bugs me.:nervous:

Grim
07-16-2003, 05:20 PM
Mines an odd one. It's a fear of not knowing, I like to know about my surroundings, I don't like idea of something in the dark waiting for me. It's wierd. Here's a good example: I hate being in bodies of water where it's all blurry. I mean I know there is nothing in there but it's like I get subliminal images in my head of things being in there. I go in and have fun nonetheless, but I'd much rather be in a pool or ocean (kind of ironic because oceans have sharks and shit :lol: )

Oh, one more, Tipper Gore.

Hellbilly
07-16-2003, 06:42 PM
Large crowds of people freak me out.
Never had this problem when I was younger though.
A reason why I hardly go to concerts or the movies anymore.

Applesngore
07-17-2003, 01:42 AM
Hellbilly, that reminds me of this weird paranoia that I forgot to mention. I hate walking into movie theatres because of the large number of peope and the fact that they stare at you as you try to find a good seat. I make it a point to get to a crowded place such as a theatre nice and early before the crowd hits!

Chris, your avatar... is that from Combat Shock? If so, Jesus. I haven't seen that movie in eons!

Mortis
07-17-2003, 01:49 AM
I think I'm like that with anything like that.

Originally posted by Applesngore
I hate walking into movie theatres because of the large number of peope and the fact that they stare at you as you try to find a good seat. I make it a point to get to a crowded place such as a theatre nice and early before the crowd hits!

Mortis
07-17-2003, 01:49 AM
You've seen too many horror movies and news stories. :D

Originally posted by MrGrim13
Mines an odd one. It's a fear of not knowing, I like to know about my surroundings, I don't like idea of something in the dark waiting for me. It's wierd. Here's a good example: I hate being in bodies of water where it's all blurry. I mean I know there is nothing in there but it's like I get subliminal images in my head of things being in there. I go in and have fun nonetheless, but I'd much rather be in a pool or ocean (kind of ironic because oceans have sharks and shit :lol: )

r_burgos2003
07-17-2003, 01:52 AM
Hellbilly, that reminds me of this weird paranoia that I forgot to mention. I hate walking into movie theatres because of the large number of peope and the fact that they stare at you as you try to find a good seat. I make it a point to get to a crowded place such as a theatre nice and early before the crowd hits!

What's worse is when you go to the bathroom and your sitting in the front so you have to go alllll the way to the back to the exit. Then they can't help but look at you. :nervous:

Applesngore
07-17-2003, 01:55 AM
Oh, wheN Iw as younger I used to fear public bathrooms. I'd never piss in them, I was convinced some psycho or REGAN )i was terrified of REGAN) was going to be there. I've gotten used to them since college, but they still creep the hell outta me. This one in an art theatre in Providence is HORRIFYING!!!!! I will never piss in there again!!!!!

Latency
07-17-2003, 01:56 AM
haha, no doubt. I never go to the washrrom in the middle of a movie. I rather hold it in dire pain :)

Applesngore
07-17-2003, 01:58 AM
When I saw LOTR I thought I was gonna die because I refused to get up and piss. Are you kidding me - stand up in a huge, crowded theatre when I'm in the back, have to walk down these widely seperated long line of steps in the middle of the film? I'm with you, Latency! hehe.

MapleBob
07-17-2003, 06:52 AM
I'm mostly afraid of going to sleep. If the dreams don't get me, I'm afraid I will wake up in a world different from the one I went to sleep in, only popluated by exact duplicates of the previous world(s) with only little errors introduced here and there.

For instance, my best friend for the last ten years may have been named Jim up until I go to sleep tonight. Then, when I wake up it will be "Fred" or "Bo" or maybe old Jimbo wont even have made it into this copy of the world.

And, as much as I dread sleep, I dread waking even more, because, what if I didn't make it to this morning's copy of the world? Or what if I wake to find I have been replaced by an exact duplicate of myself? Or that I have been a flesh and blood person but in this copy of the world, I am an animatronic President trapped in Disney World, or worse, Euro-Disney.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Make it stop!

Mortis
07-17-2003, 06:58 AM
Give me some of whatever you took, dude.

Applesngore
07-18-2003, 12:06 AM
Have you ever experienced sleep paralysis, Maplebob? This past year I've dreaded sleep lest I'd be under the strange but common paralysis. Just out of curiousity, how many hours of sleep do you get, typically?

On a side note, isn't it that if you go 3 consecutive days without sleep you are considered legally insane?

MapleBob
07-18-2003, 12:26 AM
Have you ever experienced sleep paralysis, Maplebob? This past year I've dreaded sleep lest I'd be under the strange but common paralysis. Just out of curiousity, how many hours of sleep do you get, typically?

On a side note, isn't it that if you go 3 consecutive days without sleep you are considered legally insane?

Hi Applesngore

I have experienced sleep paralysis in the past, but not for the last few years. Probably around '95-'97, somewhere in there was the last time I was attacked by the "night witch."

It was a much bigger problem just after adolescence. First I would dream I had just waken up and would feel very heavy with sleepyness. I would make it varying distances, to the bed room door, out side, etc. and I would find myself back in bed thinking I was just getting up. This would go on and on until I would begin to panic and then I would have to force myself to wake up. Then later it developed into the classic "night witch" symptoms. I thought the devil was sitting on my chest a few times.

One time I when I was in the army, living in the barracks, I dreamed I was back home, in my childhood bedroom. I was scared because it was dark and I felt something was in my bedroom with me. I tried to turn on the light at the night table, but it wouldn't go on. I felt whatever was with me wanted it to remain dark. I made my way to the closet, which was the next closest light that turned on with a pull chain. I reached to pull the light on when a blue light grabbed my hand and pulled it up. I screamed and woke up. My roomate was freaked out and soon people came knocking on our door to see if I was all right.

Another time with that same room mate, I went into sleep paralysis and couldn't shake myself up. When I woke up, my room mate was waving his hand in front of my eyes, 'cause I guess they were open. I thanked him 'cause I was trying to call him to wake me up in my dream and I thought I would be trapped forever if someone didn't wake me up.

I feel sorry for that guy, though. I am a very strange man and he had to put up with all my crap. My biggest problem with him was he played his stereo too loud, so I got off easy.

Applesngore
07-18-2003, 12:39 AM
Wow!

The only time I had serious issues with sleep paralysis was over winter break. The drastic change in altitude and jet lag all contributed to it. Actually I couldn't control my sleep at all - I was supposed to be babysitting my nephew and I'd just pass out in front him throughout the day. But back to sleep paralysis, the scariest part of it all is KNOWING that you can't move. No matter how hard you mentally insisting yourself to lift an arm to call for help you know in the back of your mind that it just won't happen. And it feels like eons. It's the craziest when you start to break into the world and your senses start to work again. Hearing the distant noises is what freaks me out the most. I sort of exorcised my sleep paralysis when I returned to Santa Fe and wrote a short story on the issue and thankfully have not had any run-ins with the wicked condition since.

I've never heard of calling it a "night witch" but that's a damn good description. What's also interesting is that now it seems like "alien abductions" could actually be accounts of peple suffering through sleep paralysis - usually the condition is accompanied by a hallucation, a grey one. That hallucination could be mistaken for an alien.

I experience more the inability to control staying awake. That's truely horrifying - trying to stay awake but feeling this unseen force literally push you back into the bed and coming over you as if you were a rag doll at high tide.

BTW you can call me Rachel. I sort of like knowing someone else who has encountered stranger sleeping conditions than I have, because otherwise people just stare at me like "what the fuck? sleep paralysis?"

STREET TRASH
07-18-2003, 12:56 AM
The horrifying:

Lizards - from tiny geckos to iguanas et al.
Toads - the big, fat disgusting ones. UGGGH!!!!
The ocean - and more importantly, what's in it
Heights - just imagine being on a hot air balloon and something goes wrong. Thinking about it makes my stomach rise up over my head.

The nerve-wracking:

Public Speaking
Crowds - I understand the movie theater thing completely, guys.

The eerie:

Amusement Parks - I love them, yes. But there is something extremely unsettling about some of them. Perhaps it's the dirty, rickety old rides, the smell of vomit, the weirdos who go there - I don't know. Clowns do it for me as well.

Luna
07-18-2003, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by Mark Relford
Got any fears to share?Snakes and spiders, it depends. I think the bigger the snake or spider, the more I'd fear it. Mainly because a huge snake can squeeze the life out of you if it wished to, and well, spiders are just creepy.

The filthy, vile creatures that bother me the most are roaches.

They ALWAYS bothered me and I saw them quite a bit because we lived in an apartment building with some filthy people downstairs from us. It's inevitable when you live so close to others who are less than clean, and almost like fighting a losing battle, but you put out the Combat (or the Roach Motels back then) and hope for the best. Raid sucks. Combat is the ONLY way to go.

My roach story is as follows:

I was about 8 years old and I was staying at my step-grandmother's apartment in the projects, in the Bronx. Already, I'm sure you can imagine where this is headed. I used to hang out in her bathroom because there was a phone that I'd use to make prank calls to people. I was an evil child. So I'd finished making my calls and having my laughs, and I had a bag of peanut M&Ms that I'd only half finished, which I left on the sink by mistake. There was a hole in the bag big enough to squeeze an M&M or two through, because I'm anal and that's how I rip my wrappers. None of that ripping the whole thing open. :D

About an hour later, I came back to retrieve them and instinctively reached for the bag, you know, like any normal person would do. The second I picked the bag up, I couldn't help but notice the bag moving on its own and I FREAKED out as roaches of ALL sizes, big ones, small ones, medium sized ones... they ALL poured out onto my hand and were crawling up my arm and falling out of the bag. In about a split second, I screamed bloody murder, shook my arm off frantically, dropped the bag in the sink and got the HELL out of there, still screaming as I ran.

Keep in mind I'd already seen Creepshow and HATED that particular segment because I already had no love for roaches.

My second story:

I had to be younger, maybe 7 years old, and I was playing in the basement of an old apartment building where my (evil) grandmother was the super. My cousin and I were sitting on the concrete floor outside her door, indoors, and as we were playing, I heard something moving behind me. It was a weird noise, so I turned around and I swear it's a miracle I didn't shit my pants. There was a HUGE roach, the size of which I haven't seen ever again, staring straight at me, as if to say, "Don't even TRY to step on me, it won't work!" It had to be at LEAST as big as my foot at the time, if not larger, so there was NO way I could step on it anyway. I don't know if I heard it walking or if it hissed at me... I think maybe it was both? At any rate, the both of us ran out of the building, screaming like crazy! I have NO idea how a roach could get that large, but it was GIGANTIC and you KNOW that when you actually HEAR a bug walking behind you, you're in TROUBLE. :cry:

No, I do not like roaches.

Luna
07-18-2003, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by zombi3
Flying freaks me out. There's just something about the idea of being trapped inside a plane while it plunges 30,000 feet into the ocean (or the ground for that matter) that bugs me.:nervous: Yes! I never used to be afraid of flying and I think it's only developed in the past 10 years or so. My flight to London was uneventful, but I was still very tense, plus it lasted a LONG time, obviously... enough for me to watch three shitty movies. Other flights after this one were increasingly worse for me, but I don't freak out like William Shatner or anything. :lol:

I know that logically it's stupid, too, because planes are a hell of a lot safer than other ways of transportation, but that IS the definition of a phobia after all -- illogical fear. I guess it's the same reason I don't like elevators that go to the 100th floor (I'll ride them if necessary though)... it's the thought of being so high up that you'd splat like a melon if you DID freefall, with no good escape route to avoid it. Also the claustrophobia doesn't help either. ;)

Mortis
07-18-2003, 01:31 AM
AHH!

http://pested.unl.edu/amerroa.jpg

Luna
07-18-2003, 01:46 AM
Have you ever experienced sleep paralysis, Maplebob? This past year I've dreaded sleep lest I'd be under the strange but common paralysis.I know this wasn't directed towards me, but I've had it and I find that sleeping on my side greatly decreases it. Sleeping on your back is probably the worst thing you can do if you're prone to sleep paralysis. Also, a regular sleep schedule/routine helps a lot, as does proper sleep every night. No caffeine before bed, stuff like that.

Cujo108
07-18-2003, 01:50 AM
Thanks for the roach pics. I love roaches, and had some hissing ones for pets a few years back. My mother wouldn't even go into my room because of them, but that meant she couldn't fuck with my stuff, so...

Luna
07-18-2003, 02:00 AM
Originally posted by Mortis
AHH!

[snipped SCARY HUGE roaches] :eek1: :cry:

Luna
07-18-2003, 02:32 AM
That's truely horrifying - trying to stay awake but feeling this unseen force literally push you back into the bed and coming over you as if you were a rag doll at high tide.Pretty much... I've had more of the severe kind of sleep paralysis and it truly is a bitch. In some cases, it can feel like you're fighting for your very soul.

Not a fun thing, at all, and something that made the act of sleep an unpleasant prospect for me for at least a year, maybe longer. It seriously fucks with you, and almost seems self-perpetuating, but when you find out that there IS a logical explanation, it makes things a lot easier. At least it did for me, anyway, eventually. :)

Luna
07-18-2003, 02:38 AM
Originally posted by mutleyhyde
Lawyers
Politicians
Fundamental Christians:lol: :lol: :lol:

Agreed, though one of my good friends is going to be a lawyer soon, so I can't very well be scared of him. I thought I'd also add natural disasters (floods, tornadoes, hurricanes, etc) to the mix... things I never really had to worry about living in NY, but that are commonplace here in scary TX. Also, um, lightning, for obvious reasons. Lightning hates me. :nervous:

I think there are just different levels of fear. Obviously, I won't fear roaches and say, life-threatening circumstances in the same exact way, although if you've seen Creepshow, the two may be one and the same. :lol:

MapleBob
07-18-2003, 02:38 AM
Originally posted by Luna
I know this wasn't directed towards me, but I've had it and I find that sleeping on my side greatly decreases it. Sleeping on your back is probably the worst thing you can do if you're prone to sleep paralysis. Also, a regular sleep schedule/routine helps a lot, as does proper sleep every night. No caffeine before bed, stuff like that.

I remember a discussion of the Art Bell show recently and think you were a part of it, but am probably wrong.

Anyway, when he still did his show, before all his troubles began, he had a guest on who talked about the "night witch" and claimed that it was the doorway to the out-of-body experience if you let your fear subside and go with it. I've never been able to go with it.

So, I just bring this up so that people who may be trying for OBE's could use your suggestions in reverse and maybe bring one on.

From my experience, you are right on with your "lying on your back" suggestion. And, sometimes, caffine has enhanced my dreaming but I've never corelated it to a visit from the night witch, but I can see how it could make the fear grow once the witch perches herself on your chest.

Applesngore
07-18-2003, 03:05 AM
I've tried the OBE thing, but I got too scared and stopped. Never tried it again because I thought about it a lot and I realised I had been trying to do it for all the wrong reasons. I would like to really try it one day, and go through with it.

the image of the night witch perching on someone's chest is so fucking creepy. that would be a great still from a movie, don't you think? ..it sucks that we've experienced these night horrors but at least it provides great inspiration for art!

MapleBob
07-18-2003, 03:14 AM
I've tried the OBE thing, but I got too scared and stopped. Never tried it again because I thought about it a lot and I realised I had been trying to do it for all the wrong reasons. I would like to really try it one day, and go through with it.

the image of the night witch perching on someone's chest is so fucking creepy. that would be a great still from a movie, don't you think? ..it sucks that we've experienced these night horrors but at least it provides great inspiration for art!

Yeah, I like it for the inspiration too. It is really nothing compared with what some people have to go through.

Oh! And I have seen drawings of the night witch. A lot of years ago now, the Whole Earth Catalog did an issue on the "Fringes of Reason" and they had a lot of books on a lot of subjects including the night witch and showed a drawing from the 19th century, or older. It reminded me of some old medical drawings I'd seen. If I can find my copy of that book and get a good clean scan, I will post the picture.

(By scan, I mean "use my digital camera" 'cause I don't have a scanner and I usually don't like messing around with other people's scanners to try to get a good scan, so I mean 'if I can get a good clean shot.")

Atmims
07-18-2003, 03:16 AM
Luna, I fuckin' hate roaches with bloody vengeance! About 5 years ago we had them really bad in our kitchen. You only realize you have a roach problem when you start to see them. What's scary ass hell is when you have no fucking clue where the hell thier nest is! It's usually in some spot you'd never guess to look and you pass by a zillion times a day and don't know they are there. :nervous: Creepy stories though, esp. the M&M one.

Applesngore
07-18-2003, 04:37 AM
For some reasn I find roaches cute looking, but I wouldn't want them infesting my house. I went to this camp at the local zoo when I was in grade school and we got to touch one of those huge ones from South America, it was wicked cool.

Mark Relford
07-18-2003, 07:27 AM
How about a roach crawling into your ear while you're sleeping? :eek:

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a5_111.html

Tye
07-18-2003, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by Mark Relford
How about a roach crawling into your ear while you're sleeping? :eek:

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a5_111.html
:eek1: :eek1:
EWWWWW!!

Applesngore
07-18-2003, 07:47 PM
Jesus christ. Thanks. That's so horrible... so horrible... Was it in Usmaki where the centipede crawled in the widow's ear (during a nightmare) ?? That was horrifying. I loathe centipedes.

Once I had a tick in my ear. Not a pretty sight!

Crystal Plumage
07-18-2003, 09:07 PM
My biggest fear is when I order a DVD and find out it's Pan&Scan:eek1: :nervous: :eek2: :eek: ;)

drown021
07-18-2003, 10:56 PM
Deathly afraid of spiders too.

Gnaghi
07-19-2003, 05:09 AM
trolls, and my friend who turns into a little girl when he sees a wasp.

Luna
07-19-2003, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by MapleBob
From my experience, you are right on with your "lying on your back" suggestion. And, sometimes, caffine has enhanced my dreaming but I've never corelated it to a visit from the night witch, but I can see how it could make the fear grow once the witch perches herself on your chest. I was a part of that Art Bell discussion, I think... and OBEs are a pretty damn interesting phenomena.

As far as the "Old Hag" Syndrome, it seems to happen in clusters for me, and more so when I'm especially stressed.

Luna
07-19-2003, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by Atmims
Luna, I fuckin' hate roaches with bloody vengeance! About 5 years ago we had them really bad in our kitchen. You only realize you have a roach problem when you start to see them. What's scary ass hell is when you have no fucking clue where the hell thier nest is! It's usually in some spot you'd never guess to look and you pass by a zillion times a day and don't know they are there. :nervous: Creepy stories though, esp. the M&M one. Oh, exactly... and ya know, Combat is THE only solution for me. Um, I'm not their spokeswoman or anything, but seriously... it's the only thing that has ALWAYS solved the problem in record time. When I moved to this current apartment some months ago, the first night we stayed there, I saw two roaches in my kitchen. I FREAKED and thought, oh great... the previous tenants were probably nasty slobs. We went out an hour later, at about 2am, to Randalls, to pick up boxes of Combat. We put them EVERYWHERE and we never saw another roach again since September 27, 2002. :D

Tree roaches don't count though because I don't know HOW they slip in from outdoors. Texas is the most fucked up state ever. Any state that has HUGE flying roaches just takes the cake for me. We did buy LARGE Combat for them though, just in case. :cry:

MapleBob
07-20-2003, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by Luna
I was a part of that Art Bell discussion, I think... and OBEs are a pretty damn interesting phenomena.

As far as the "Old Hag" Syndrome, it seems to happen in clusters for me, and more so when I'm especially stressed.

Last night I had a new kind of experience. I was thinking of this dream I have quite often where a woman I know is on my left and we are on a very narrow ledge over a very black pit of blue lightning. She tells me to jump because I had already made the decision to.

This is one of the dreams I have that make me hesitant to go to sleep. So, while I'm thinking of it, I must have fallen asleep because suddenly I'm in free fall. I jerked myself away harder then I've ever jerked myself awake before, and just for an instant, my bed wasn't there!

So, I stayed up a few more hours after that and ended up watching MST3K this morning. It would be cool if I had been on the endge of an OBE.

I wonder who that woman is, because in the dream I know her and have a great deal of respect for her. She is both a friend and a superior. I do hope I eventually jump because I do not wish to loose her respect.

In a lot of ways, my dream worlds are way more real than this one. I think that is one reason I like horror so much. If I am having nightmares, I just put in a zombie film and then I have nightmares about zombies, which I know don't exist.

Applesngore
07-20-2003, 01:36 AM
I just took an almost 3 hour nap (strange for me, usually my naps are no more than 1 hour) while watching Powaqqatsi... Anyway, in my dream there was this old man with glasses on, those glasses that blind people wear. I'd never seen him before in my life, but I cannot shake him from me right now. About four people from my family were in the dream, adding to the realism (I was in the dream myself and was convinced that I wasn't dreaming, so I was utterly confused when I woke up).. There isn't anything so scary about this dream except I found out that this man was not blind via this creepy little gir who showed up. I'm pissed because I was helping him out in the dream and he was actually just fucking with my head. What a jerk! It's so strange how dreams come about and how they affect you...