PDA

View Full Version : Inferno rules, and a quick question about Argento double packs

DayoftheRhodes
10-17-2001, 05:00 AM
I just saw Inferno tonight, and really cannot understand why anyone dislikes this movie. I would figure that anyone that found Suspiria (the only other Argento I've seen) half way entertaining would love this movie also. The end when the main character is exploring the house and then finally finds the man that built the houses, is masterfully done. I think this is even more of a visual masterpiece than Suspiria and I want to buy the DVD as soon as possible. I have a quick question about the Argento 2-packs. Do the 2 packs contain the insert bookelts contained in the regular standard releases? Is the only thing different about the presentation the packaging? Give me some feedback please.

Erg0n
10-17-2001, 05:32 AM
I wouldn't call it an insert bookelts per se. But it does include a double-sided insert poster. that's it.

jeffschmidt
10-17-2001, 06:03 AM
Did you watch it on IFC perchance? I caught it there tonight, good movie. Is Argento ever planning to complete the "3 Mothers" trilogy?

Side note: I think IFC might be playing horror movies, since it's October & all. The Hills Have Eyes was on last night, & Inferno was on tonight...

Rainbowthief
10-17-2001, 08:53 AM
I love Inferno. Visually, it's as beautiful if not more than Suspiria. Fifteen years ago, I was hopeful for the third installment in the Three Mothers trilogy, but not anymore. At one point, Daria Nicolodi had written a script with Argento and Jennifer Connelly was cast as Mater Lacrimarum, but the project never got further than that. In the Suspiria documentary on the new DVD, Nicolodi says again that she has the script ready to go, but I wonder how much Argento wants to make the movie. I guess not much or he would've made it already.

Peter Vincent
10-17-2001, 04:15 PM
I recently obtained Dario Collection 1 & 3 to complete the entire set & I can tell U this much:

-Vol. 1 does come with an insert (poster card with Chapter list in the back) for both Inferno and Phenomena.

-Vol. 2 Same as above for Demons and Demons 2

-Vol. 3 Has an insert (as mentioned above) for Tenebre and a little "leaflet" as I like to call it for Deep Red with a little background on the production of Deep Red!

If U don't have the previous released individual DVDs (like me) its worth the dough! From what I've heard, the contents of the double pack (DVD & inserts) are the same had U bought the original releases. Bought all 3 at www.deepdiscountdvd.com for $24.00 flat. According to AB, only 5,000 units of each made! Hope this helps ya!

The Chaostar
10-17-2001, 07:17 PM
DayOfTheRhodes I feel just the same :) :) :) :)

I really don't think that Dario will finish the trilogy but hope dies last...

MovieFan
10-20-2001, 05:25 AM
Actually, Inferno (in both the Dario Argento two pack and the movie-only edition) includes the little booklet thingy which includes the DVD cover art, the chapter listing, and a brief interview with the main actor. It's not a chapter card with the poster art (like Demons 1 & 2, Tenebre, and Phenomena).

Inferno is nowhere near the greatness that Suspiria is. Suspiria proved that style over substance could be an amazing technique if done correctly (which it was), but Inferno is missing a few things...

1) It should've been shot in scope like Suspiria.
2) It should've made the most out of it's use of colors like Suspiria.
3) The plot is a bit weaker than Suspiria's.

Nevertheless Inferno is still a good film, just nowhere as good as Suspiria or a few of Argento's films.

Suspiria - **** out of ****
Inferno - *** out of ****

Spit
01-06-2009, 05:05 AM
This didnt seem work starting a new thread for.

I've got Blue Underground of Inferno...is there suppose to be an insert with it? Its got lil plastic clips for an insert....

vampyr789
01-06-2009, 05:14 AM
I've got Blue Underground of Inferno...is there suppose to be an insert with it? Its got lil plastic clips for an insert....

all of the Argento films Blue Underground re-released didn't include mini posters inserts..why?...idk, but one thing i hate is those see-thru amaray cases. the plastic covering rips very easily.

Spit
01-06-2009, 05:19 AM
thanks for the quick feedback

but one thing i hate is those see-thru amaray cases. the plastic covering rips very easily.
Amen!

KamuiX
01-06-2009, 05:31 AM
You guys must be rough with your DVD's or something...I love the transparent cases, and I've never had a problem. I find them infinitely more pleasing to the eye than the black cases.

If you want shit-quality cases, pick up a Media Blasters release...their cases are flimsy and cheap as hell, and I've had multiple instances of them being broken or the plastic covering, which doesn't feel the same as any others, being all rippled or ripped. I've never had that with any other company.

vampyr789
01-06-2009, 05:31 AM
Amen!

on my DVD for Zombi 2 (BU) somehow the whole back side of the pastic covering was slit all around the sides. it was like that when i bought it, i didnt notice it till i got home to watch it. (i have the DVD for a while now, so there is no use buying a new one..)

Matt89
01-06-2009, 05:35 AM
You guys must be rough with your DVD's or something...I love the transparent cases, and I've never had a problem. I find them infinitely more pleasing to the eye than the black cases.

If you want shit-quality cases, pick up a Media Blasters release...their cases are flimsy and cheap as hell, and I've had multiple instances of them being broken or the plastic covering, which doesn't feel the same as any others, being all rippled or ripped. I've never had that with any other company.

Yeah same, I love the transparent amaray cases. A lot of R2's are see-through as well, and they look nicer.

But yeah Media Blasters, I had to buy a few replacement cases because theirs sucked so badly.

~Matt

vampyr789
01-06-2009, 05:40 AM

ooh yeah same here, last year when i ordered the Just before Dawn DVD, it came in the mail, the discs were out there little places b/c the button was cracked. the case as broken on the sides. The disc was scratched so much. i demanded a refund from Best Buy...i still have yet to rebuy that slasher gem...:cry:

Matt89
01-06-2009, 05:44 AM
Yeah, you gotta get Just Before Dawn. It's relatively cheap now, and definitely worth owning.

~Matt

vampyr789
01-06-2009, 05:55 AM
Yeah, you gotta get Just Before Dawn. It's relatively cheap now, and definitely worth owning.

~Matt

yeah i've been meaning to rebuy it....
i didnt even get to see the 1 hour docu... :cry:
b/c it skipped so much!!

but now...with all of these gift cards, i will be picking it up sometime soon

Cardiac Tom
01-06-2009, 04:15 PM
In regards to the see thru cases...

The transparent cases seemed to happen when they hooked up with Ryko Distribution...Before then, all the Blue Underground releases had the mini poster replicas with the chapter list on the back...BU DVD's were also kind of pricey back then too...like $20.00-$25.00...With Ryko, the price dropped substantially (You can get BU disc at most place from $13 to $15) but a lot of the printing was dropped...So, with clear cases, you can print the chapter titles on the back side of the front cover and save cost with less paper, cardboard, and printing...

Fair trade if you ask me...

As for Inferno, I dig it...I don't understand why it gets a bad rap...It is well shot and it held my interest much more than Suspiria...

DVD-fanatic-9
01-07-2009, 04:31 PM
Inferno is quite good. But it's just not in the same league as Suspiria. In no way, shape, or form.

You guys must be rough with your DVD's or something...
I thought that too. But maybe the problem is in Mail Delivery. I have had a lot of problems with mail-delivered discs coming loose in the cases in '08, so I'm glad I didn't get any of these see-through cases. Maybe the mail delivery cracks and chips the cases.

ooh yeah same here, last year when i ordered the Just before Dawn DVD, it came in the mail, the discs were out there little places b/c the button was cracked. the case as broken on the sides. The disc was scratched so much. i demanded a refund from Best Buy...i still have yet to rebuy that slasher gem...:cry:
If either of my discs were loose in their cases, I think it was the 2nd. But yeah, when I ordered that DVD, one of the 2 holders was cracked to shit. Thankfully, the disc wasn't scratched too badly.

Now, the same can't be said for the Toxie Triple Terror collections I bought earlier this year. Both came with the 1st Discs (both of my most-wanted movies from each Volume) scratched to shit. Thank God I have a good DVD player so it doesn't skip on either scratched disc, but if I have to buy another player for whatever reason and the discs do skip because of the scratches - I will go fucking insane (I'm psychotically protective of my Troma movies, especially since Triple Terror Volume 6 seems to be the most rare now). Thank Christ both collections only ran me about $10 a piece. So I will have to re-buy and they're out of print, so I'll have to take whatever I can get - which is exactly what got me into this unfortunate scenario in the first place.