PDA

View Full Version : Pioneer CLD-D502

TheShape
10-17-2001, 09:21 AM
Hi all, this is my first post on this interesting forum.

I have the possibility of getting a Pioneer CLD-D502 for a decent price. Reading past posts on this forum, I became pretty confident that it would be a good choice. However, I've got two questions about it:

1) Is there a website where I could find the technical specifications for this player? I know it can play both sides and that it's recent (for a ld player of course). One of the things I would like to know in particular is if there's a digital audio output for external Dolby Digital decoding.

2) The player I would be getting won't have a remote. I've checked www.replacementsremotes.com but I don't know the model number of the remote (or any remote that could make work all the features of this player). Does anybody know the model number of the remote that came with this player?

Thanks in advance

Paff
10-17-2001, 06:35 PM
My first laserdisc player!

It's a nice machine, pretty reliable.

It does NOT have an output for Dolby Digital. But remember, unless you have a RF Demodulator, you can't get Dolby Digital anyway. And an RF Demodulator will probably cost more than the player itself!

As an aside, I did install a Dolby Digital output on that machine, it was fun and fairly easy. That cost an extra $75.

I'll take a look on replacementremotes and see if I can identify the specific remote.

Enjoy!

laserdogg
10-18-2001, 04:50 AM
Originally posted by TheShape
I have the possibility of getting a Pioneer CLD-D502 for a decent price. Reading past posts on this forum, I became pretty confident that it would be a good choice. However, I've got two questions about it:

2) The player I would be getting won't have a remote. I've checked www.replacementsremotes.com but I don't know the model number of the remote (or any remote that could make work all the features of this player). Does anybody know the model number of the remote that came with this player?

Thanks in advance

I have this player. The Pioneer number is:

CU-CLD084

laserdogg
10-31-2001, 05:29 AM
There's an auction on eBay right now for the exact remote you need. 7 bones and no bidders. Here ya go:

Remote for CLD-D502 on eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1289055277)

Hope this helps.

trespoochies
11-07-2001, 01:39 AM
In case you just want info on how this AC-3 digital encoding is done for your lasserdisc, check this out: http://www.laaudiofile.com/ac3mod.html

I havn't tried it myself. I have a CLD-D504 that has a digital output but I don't know how to activate it. Any ideas?

Paff
11-07-2001, 03:53 AM
Originally posted by trespoochies
I have a CLD-D504 that has a digital output but I don't know how to activate it. Any ideas?

Well, what is the label on the output? Is it an "Optical Digital Out" or an "AC-3 RF Out"?

AC-3 is the original name of Dolby Digital 5.1

I think the 504 only came with Optical, not an AC-3 output. If you have an optical out, that is ONLY used for DTS soundtracks. If you have an AC-3 RF out, that is ONLY used for Dolby Digital soundtracks, but it also requires a separate RF Demodulator

The modification you list above is only for adding an AC-3 RF output to machines that don't normally have them. I've done that modification on a 502. My 704 already had the AC-3 Output. I don't know if a 504 needs it.

The real bitch here is the RF Demodulator, which is REQUIRED for Dolby Digital with laserdisc. These Demods are no longer made, and if you want one, ya gotta go to E-Bay, and probably pay DOUBLE the original price. Unless you have a LOT of Dolby Digital LDs (and about 40 out of my 260 LDs are Dolby Digital), it's really not worth the expense. It's not like they're gonna make any more.

trespoochies
11-07-2001, 05:21 PM
No, my 504 does not have an optical, only a coax for AC-3 RF Out. I dont want to pay anything huge for the demodulator thing, so I htik I might try and build one on my own. I know they're not making any more, but the laserdiscs that I do have, so many aren't even out on dvd, like the special editoins of Amadeus and the original Star Wars Trilogy which is in Dolby Digital. And I would like to hear them in their full glory.

Paff
11-07-2001, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by trespoochies
and the original Star Wars Trilogy which is in Dolby Digital.

do you mean the ORIGINAL trilogy or the SPECIAL EDITIONS? I'm not referring to the discs, but the special editions of the movies. You know, Greedo shoots first, etc. Because those are the only Star Wars in Dolby Digital. The TRUE original editions are not in Dolby Digital.

As far as making a Demodulator....um, good luck. Actually, I'm sure it can be done, it's just that I've never seen the schematics anywhere. All the DIY projects I've seen are for adding the AC-3 Output. If someone could sell a DIY Demod kit, they'd do a pretty good business.

trespoochies
11-07-2001, 07:49 PM
Sorry, I should have clarifed. It's the Star Wars Special Edition Trilogy box set that was released after they were out theatrically, which are in digital. I know there was that monster CAV huge set that was released eons ago. But that isn't in dolby digital. I also have the 3 seperate movies when they were first released in THX, but they're not digital. As for building the demodulator, I actually found 3 websites that have a complete breakdown on how to build them. I'll put the links on a later posting for those who are thinking of attmepting it. 1 site even has a listing of all the parts you would need to build one. Or you can get one at the Pioneer electronics site for about $230. I don't think so..

Paff
11-07-2001, 08:00 PM
Yep, thems Dolby Digital all right.

Personally, I'll take the original THX versions minus the AC-3, just to have the original versions. One thing about Dolby Digital on LD, it's nowhere near as necessary as it is with DVD, since natural Pro-Logic sound on LD is so damn good to begin with. Many of my best sounding LDs aren't even Dolby Digital.

Still, definitely post those links to homemade demods, I'd love to check them out. Hell, I'll probably build one to have for a backup. It's probably fun to build, too. I had a blast adding the AC-3 output to my old 502, especially when it worked from the first time I tried it :)

trespoochies
11-07-2001, 08:52 PM
This first link to build a demodulator here is the best one. It give the breakdown of parts you will need and a website you can get them on. http://www.mnns.com/~ka0ywn/laserdisc.html

The other 2 also have explanations on how to build them..

http://kahuna.sdsu.edu/~tucker/diyaudio/ac3rfmod/ac3rfmod.html

http://www.laaudiofile.com/ac3mod.html

If anyone actually builds one sucessfully, please post it and tell us how it goes...I will...as soon as I get my electrical engineering degree....

Paff
11-07-2001, 10:03 PM
The Bad News:

Those aren't demodulators!

Those are circuits that add an AC-3 output to a laserdisc player that doesn't already have one. You said your 504 already has an AC-3 RF Out, so you don't need one.

An RF Demodulator is a small box that goes in between the LD player and your receiver. It turns the RF signal into a usable and decodable Dolby Digital signal.

I'd still believe there's a DIY way to do it, but I've never seen it public. Precision Laserdisc was supposed to design one, but I haven't heard about it yet. If you do find one, I'm pretty sure I can build one, since I've already successfully performed the operations described on those web pages you linked.

TheShape
02-18-2002, 09:09 AM
I just realized I didn't thanked you all for the answers you provided me. Even if I did'nt get the player I was after, this info will surely be useful for me in the future when I manage to get my hands on a decent ld player. So thanks again.