PDA

View Full Version : Eaten Alive / Cannibal Ferox / Cannibal Holocaust

thrashard76
10-17-2001, 11:28 AM
I see that Eaten Alive / Cannibal Ferox / Cannibal Holocaust are coming or is out on DVD. Can anyone tell me how good these are? Which distributors own these products? Any chance of Anchor Bay picking up these titles for a re-release on DVD with extras?

straxboy
10-17-2001, 12:47 PM
'Cannibal Holocaust' is nasty but very, very interesting and deceptively complex and procative (check out where the Blair Witch idea really came from)

'Cannibal Ferox' is less interesting, just as nasty (maybe more so) but still a provocative counterpoint to Holocausts true professionalism.

'Eaten Alive' is just cinematic arse!

thrashard76
10-17-2001, 01:17 PM
Are there any other good movies he did? What movies are out that are similar to his better achievements?

slinker
10-17-2001, 04:02 PM
Yeah...you like delirious italian cinema?? you check out Lenzi`s `Nightmare City` boy is that one crazy movie, lots of zombies and gore at a very fast pace...awful dialogue/acting BUT i love it...hehe B movie heaven. As for the Cannibal capers i have to say Holocaust is the best of the bunch and Ferox is a very entertaining experience although i wouldnt call it a cinematic masterpiece by any standards =^,^= oh yeah and if you like animals, you better avoid these 2! :D

DefJeff
10-17-2001, 05:27 PM
i own all 3 movies on DVD .... EC released Eaten Alive and Cannibal Holocaust and Grindhouse did Cannibal Ferox.
All 3 are awesome, but contrary to popular opinion, I think that Cannibal Holocaust is probly the least entertaining of the bunch, and Cannibal Ferox being the best and Eaten Alive being somewhere in the middle.
So if i was to buy them, like you seem interested in doing, id definitally get Cannibal Ferox first, then Eaten Alive (the new remasted one, not the older one which i own :( ) then Cannibal Holocaust (the new remastered one, which is the one i own, which looks nice)

Jeff

Werner Von Wallenrod
10-17-2001, 05:41 PM
Cannibal Ferox already has a pretty kick ass Special Edition (great print, commentary by Lenzi & John Morghen, a Lenzi interview, some more) courtesy of Grindhouse (pass on the Sazuma disc)... I'd certainly say its better than AB would be likely to do.
There's a decent Cannibal Holocaust disc out, too (with a Deodato interview); but Grindhouse has been pretty public about their upcoming Cannibal Holocaust disc, which features a remastered print and Deodato commentary (plus whatever else), so you're probably best off waiting for that.
EC has a pretty good Eaten Alive disc, albeit essentially extra-free. EC remastered their own disc, though; so be sure to pick up the more recent version (the one WITHOUT the Blade In the Dark trailer).

Hope that helps!

The Chaostar
10-17-2001, 08:14 PM
Werner, the fact that C.F. is not anamorphic makes me think that AB could do a better job ;) .

I prefer Holocaust, mainly because of the clever direction cinema-verite-style. And the acting was much better I think. The penis chop of Cannibal Ferox looks very fake to my eyes, but I admit that the brain munching was hilarious. :D

Regurgitate
10-17-2001, 08:26 PM
I don't know why you would want to avoid the Sazuma edition of Cannibal Ferrox. It's anamorphic unlike the Grindhouse version. If grindhouse were to release The Beyond without the guidance of Anchor Bay I bet it wouldn't have been enhanced. I really hope that GH, if and when they release Cannibal Holocaust on DVD, do it right and make it anamorphic otherwise I'll just have to get the new EC version. I have the original CH disc from EC and it's R2 so I want to get a R0 version.. Am I the only person that likes Eaten Alive? I got the new EC version of EA and it's great.

Werner Von Wallenrod
10-17-2001, 09:24 PM
Well, I guess that's a matter of preference... Not having a 16x9 TV (and not believing I'll ever own one in this lifetime), I could give a lick about a DVD's being anamorphic (and, otherwise, they both tend to produce fantastic prints) or not; whereas the massive amounts of quality extras that Grindhouse secures puts theirs far above the "just the film and a trailer" sort of release AB would probably give it, in my mind.

The CH disc I have is from "Substance Media" or some-such (I'm at work, right now, so I can't go have a look)... That's R0.

Jason25
10-17-2001, 09:54 PM
I love Umberto Lenzi's films.
Of the three mentioned, I'd have to say Ferox is my favorite.

If you haven't seen Nightmare City yet, I suggest picking it up, a classic! Laser Paradise has released this and it is also being released by AB.

The Chaostar
10-17-2001, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by Werner Von Wallenrod
Well, I guess that's a matter of preference... Not having a 16x9 TV (and not believing I'll ever own one in this lifetime), I could give a lick about a DVD's being anamorphic (and, otherwise, they both tend to produce fantastic prints) or not;

Fair enough.
But... never say never again!:D

thrashard76
10-17-2001, 10:48 PM
I saw Eaten Alive (probably edited) when I rented it from Blockbuster. I thought it was good but the voice overs were crappy. Lots of good scenes. I bought The Beyond LE when it came out on AB but even though it was nice looking and sounded clear with tons of extras I was a little disappointed in the fact that it wasn't like Eaten Alive. EA seemed darker and more sinister than The Beyond. So what are the definitive versions to look out for when it comes to: 1. Eaten Alive, 2. Cannibal Ferox, and 3. Cannibal Holocaust?

A quick note:
Check this web site out for "Biohazardous" trailer...it looks promising...any word on a US release?

http://moodudeproductions.cjb.net/

Werner Von Wallenrod
10-17-2001, 11:50 PM
Well, as far as Cannibal Ferox goes, I guess it's up to you whether you value lots of extras (Grindhouse) or an anamorphic print (Sazuma) more... but I think it's safe to say that it's worth holding off on Canibal Holocaust to see what Grindhouse comes up with (anamorphic or not, it's bound to be a step up from previous CH discs... I saw the remastered print in theatres when Grindhouse took it on tour, and it looked really good), and that the remastered EC disc is the way to go with Eaten Alive.

This site has detailed reviews of both Ferox DVDs, so you should probably check those out for a better look at each version (Sazuma has an "ugly, yellowish print?").
There're also reviews of both EC Eaten Alive discs, but I can't imagine why anyone would prefer the pre-remastered version, unless they really treasure that Blade In the Dark trailer, yet can't bring themselves to purchase the actual BItD DVD.

thrashard76
10-18-2001, 02:32 AM
Hey Werner which site are you talking about?:D

thrashard76
10-18-2001, 02:44 AM
I was just informed that something just ate my brains!

Seriously, this site IS this site...duoh!!! I get it now!!!

Oh look a zombie...mmm brains!

bruce h
10-18-2001, 03:37 AM
the Grindhouse disc of Cannibal Holocaust will blow away all previous releases, so I wouldn't waste your money on an inferior version. I sat in on the commentary recording with Ruggero Deodato and Robert Kerman (and Antonella Fulci, although she later asked to be removed from the track) and it's a pretty informative tribute to the film, and fans of Third World Cannibal Hijinx will definitely find it of interest. I also videotaped several bits for inclusion as extras, including the world premiere of the theatrical rerelease. Add this to interviews, a stills collection (including photos, box art, movie posters, lobby cards, etc.) and tons of other stuff and you have the definitive package. Just look at what Grindhouse did with The Beyond. Will you ever need another Beyond disc? No, and after their Cannibal Holocaust DVD arrives you'll never need another Cannibal Holocaust disc either.

Jason25
10-18-2001, 03:40 AM
Originally posted by bruce h
the Grindhouse disc of Cannibal Holocaust will blow away all previous releases, so I wouldn't waste your money on an inferior version. I sat in on the commentary recording with Ruggero Deodato and Robert Kerman (and Antonella Fulci, although she later asked to be removed from the track) and it's a pretty informative tribute to the film, and fans of Third World Cannibal Hijinx will definitely find it of interest. I also videotaped several bits for inclusion as extras, including the world premiere of the theatrical rerelease. Add this to interviews, a stills collection (including photos, box art, movie posters, lobby cards, etc.) and tons of other stuff and you have the definitive package. Just look at what Grindhouse did with The Beyond. Will you ever need another Beyond disc? No, and after their Cannibal Holocaust DVD arrives you'll never need another Cannibal Holocaust disc either.

Sounds very cool, any idea when this might be coming out? I hate waiting.

The Beyond disc does kick ass, one of my favs.

thrashard76
10-18-2001, 03:59 AM
I just finished watching Beyond last night...it still rocks. I hope Zombie gets a LE from AB soon...

bruce h
10-18-2001, 04:02 AM
Bob (Murawski, head of Grindhouse Releasing) is currently working on editing Sam Raimi's Spiderman so the disc is on hold until he's finished the job (same with I Drink Your Blood). Grindhouse is a labor of love, not a full time job.

Funny side note: Bob is using the soundtrack from Bird With The Crystal Plumage on the temp audio track on Spiderman and Sam REALLY likes it, so much he wants Danny Elfman's score to specifically resemble it...

mazzariniuk
10-18-2001, 09:54 AM
Who wants SPIDERMAN, we want CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST!!!!!! :D

thrashard76
10-18-2001, 02:32 PM
Its about time for Sam Raimi to do another gore movie. Evil Dead 4 would be nice...VERY NICE! :D

Sam should do something more horror based now since he hasn't done one in a while. With his name being bigger now with big budget movies, doing a horror film now seems to be the best timing.

Bruce Campbell is on the tv a lot nowadays in past reruns of his series shows. His name is getting bigger too.

Lets see...1+1=Evil Dead 4!

I hope they decide to do ED 4 or at least some horror based movie together soon.

Werner Von Wallenrod
10-18-2001, 08:01 PM
Well, not that I care too much for myself (see previous posts in this thread), but I guess I ought to ask for the sake of other folk... Is the Grindhouse disc going to be 16x9 enhanced?
For that matter, any idea of what's gonna be on the I Drink Your Blood disc (I also caught Grindhouse's remastered print of this one - yeah, baby!)?
:cool:

Regurgitate
10-18-2001, 09:36 PM
Thanks Werner. Yeah, if anyone has Grindhouse's ear you might want to suggest the DVD be anamorphic. Even if you don't have a 16x9 TV or aren't planning anytime soon just keep in mind that in the US when HDTV becomes standard that will be the ratio TV will be broadcast. Even some 4x3 TVs have a 16x9 sqeeze mode which takes advantage of the higher picture information in 16x9 video. Since the presentation is the most important to me I'd rather have the 16x9 than the extras.

bruce h
10-18-2001, 10:51 PM
i assume both will be animorphic.

As for I Drink Your Blood's xtras: there will be 4 previously unseen sequences and an alternate ending, a commentary track with director David Durston and actor Bhaskar, trailers, stills galleries, interviews, etc.

I forgot to add that they will be another Necrophagia video on Cannibal Holocaust.

Werner - glad you got to see it on the big screen, what a blast. And the DVD isn't coming from the print Exhumed screened (which looked nice, but kinda pink), it was just a cleaned up print from the Grindhouse vaults.

thrashard76
10-18-2001, 11:02 PM
AB distributed The Beyond, who will distribute the new Grindhouse DVD's? Do Grindhouse distribute their own disks too? Will there be LE versions of the new DVD movies like in the case of The Beyond?

Werner Von Wallenrod
10-18-2001, 11:57 PM
Bruce... Yeah, it was pretty pink. :)

Thrash... Well, Grindhouse put out Cannibal Ferox by themselves, and their older laserdisc releases (at least, I'm pretty sure they did).

mazzariniuk
10-19-2001, 02:22 AM
were responsible for the Grindhouse release, or so they say on their website. Here is hoping they also release the CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST DVD, atleast it will be the one and only version. Image rock, by far my favourite distributor at the moment, I have lost alot of faith in AB, what with AOD and now DJANGO being re-released.

Erg0n
10-19-2001, 03:47 AM
Cannibal Ferox is most enjoyable because it knows it's a bad film and exploits that. You'll laugh at some of the scenes.

Holocaust, is too fucked up for me. Don't know why it even existed.

check out th dvd maniac site. it reviews some (all?) of these said movies.

http://www.dvdmaniacs.net/Reviews

bruce h
10-19-2001, 04:13 AM
Grindhouse worked a deal with Image for the Cannibal Ferox disc, but odds are they'll end up doing Cannibal Holocaust themselves. Certain employees at Image had problems with the "content" of Ferox, so odds are they wouldn't be willing to distribute a pic that wallows in depravity even more.

Image aren't exactly heroes either - they've shown basic indifference to the majority of their genre releases.

Jason25
10-19-2001, 05:26 AM
Originally posted by bruce h
Grindhouse worked a deal with Image for the Cannibal Ferox disc, but odds are they'll end up doing Cannibal Holocaust themselves. Certain employees at Image had problems with the "content" of Ferox, so odds are they wouldn't be willing to distribute a pic that wallows in depravity even more.

Image aren't exactly heroes either - they've shown basic indifference to the majority of their genre releases.

You hit the nail on the head there Bruce. Image's EuroShock Collection basically is hit or miss, with many, many misses. Image is taking advantage of us by releasing inconsistent releases and knowing we might bitch but will end up buying their releases based on the fact that they are the only company that is going to release the respective films. They basically have us by the balls, which angers me. Image could have done so much more with their EuroShock line but haven't chosen to spend much money or time on them.

Jeremy
10-19-2001, 05:59 AM

Yeah, how come nobody ever calls them on this? People bitch and moan about every minor problem with Anchor Bay's discs (and most of them are just that), but when Image does an abominable job on a masterpiece like ZEDER there's almost zero outcry.

Werner Von Wallenrod
10-19-2001, 09:09 AM
Zeder sucked ass (I mean the DVD release, not the film itself), but at least when you put your shoddy edition in your DVD player, it plays from start to finish unlike Opera and Heathers (the second of which, I reiterate, hsa not been recalled).
But you're absolutely right. Image needs to be called on it when they drop the ball, too.

davros
10-19-2001, 03:49 PM
is the c.ferrox grindhouse edition still available?

Werner Von Wallenrod
10-19-2001, 09:08 PM
sure; you can get it at Amazon and all those other type places...

davros
10-22-2001, 01:16 PM
thanks werner. since I am from germany amazon might not be a good idea. MTDS is banned over here and sure would get confiscated by our customs...

but amazon is not the only way to get a hold of things ;)

anyway, thanks for the info.

ps: I assume the image entertainment disc is equal to the grindhouse one...

Werner Von Wallenrod
10-23-2001, 12:35 AM
Yup; that's the one. :)

mazzariniuk
10-25-2001, 09:49 PM
all these cannibal flicks are really quite boring, tried watching FEROX the other day YAWN YAWN YAWN, the commentary is fun though.

Post 101 what happens now?

Jason25
10-26-2001, 06:24 AM
Cannibal films rock

crank
10-26-2001, 11:49 PM
I know that this is a point that has been beat into the ground, but why could they not make cannibal flicks without hacking up cute little critters. I've been a very strict vegitarian for the last 7 years, and I sometimes find it hard to bring my peronal beliefs together with my love of Italian Exploitation Cinima

skinnypuppy6
10-27-2001, 12:41 AM
yes cannibals!! http://www.horrordvds.com/reviews/a-m/cf-gh/cf-gh_shot4s.jpg :)

thrashard76
10-27-2001, 07:25 AM
Has there ever been a cannibal vs. zombie type of movie? I thought it would be a cool senerio if it could be pulled off. I am working on a summarized story and I'll post it when I'm done to see if you all might think it could work.

skinnypuppy6
10-27-2001, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by thrashard76
Has there ever been a cannibal vs. zombie type of movie? I thought it would be a cool senerio if it could be pulled off. I am working on a summarized story and I'll post it when I'm done to see if you all might think it could work. ...yeah ZOMBIE HOLOCAUST has cannibals vs zombies

Werner Von Wallenrod
10-28-2001, 02:35 AM
And what was that Vincent Dawn one? Night of the Zombies? That had zombies vs. cannibals.
And, considering Laura Gemser's acting, Emmanuel and the Cannibals comes pretty close, in its way. :D

thrashard76
10-29-2001, 05:14 AM
Has a movie like this been pulled off with positive responses. It seems that a lot of the cannibal movies get "butchered at birth" and they never seem to have a chance to compete with other movies. Zombie films have faired much more in this respect. Does anyone have a reason as to why these two horror movie greats clash in their dual existence?

Werner Von Wallenrod
10-30-2001, 03:44 AM
They clash?
I dunno... I enjoyed both films a bunch. Exhumed films even ran 'em both together last summer as Cannibal Vs. Zombie night.
Good stuff.
Music by "Golbin."
...Speaking of: where's a Night of the Zombies DVD? ...and, please, nobody say, "oh, there's a couple," and start postin' your stupid R2, PAL discs around... :D

thrashard76
10-31-2001, 07:50 AM
Who did the Zombie Holocaust? How would you rank any top 5 "Holocaust" movies? Is Zombie Holocaust a top 5?

The Chaostar
10-31-2001, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Werner Von Wallenrod

...Speaking of: where's a Night of the Zombies DVD? ...and, please, nobody say, "oh, there's a couple," and start postin' your stupid R2, PAL discs around... :D

Hey, Werner, why don't you hack your DVD player?
I hacked mine to play those stupid R1 NTSC discs!:D :D :D

mazzariniuk
11-01-2001, 08:29 PM
Chaostar you crack me up :D

Had any problems with Region Code Enhancement?

The Chaostar
11-06-2001, 04:24 PM
None whatsoever. Of course, I've never had problems because I am not a big fan of big hollywood blockbusters that cause problems on hacked players (ex. The Patriot). I mean, you wont have any of that with the r1 release of Wicker Man or Schramm! ;) ;) ;)

mazzariniuk
11-06-2001, 08:14 PM
I am not a big fan of Hollywood blockbusters, I prefer there flops more, GET CARTER and 3000 MILES TO GRACELAND being two of my favourites. DRIVEN is up next and then John Carpenter's GHOSTS OF MARS - which is RCE - no way I want to miss out on this baby!

Werner Von Wallenrod
11-07-2001, 07:42 AM
How does one hack their DVD player?
I remember when I broke up with my last girlfriend, I hacked her television with the back of a hammer a couple times, but I don't think that helped her watch PAL programming or anything...
But I was justified; don't think I'm like some psycho or anything. I asked her nicely to wear the wig.
Heh heh.
No, I'm just kidding, of course.
When I broke up with my last girlfriend, it wasn't her TV that got hacked...

The Chaostar
11-07-2001, 02:09 PM
Good one Werner.

:D

Well, actually the guy who sell me my Sony DVD player, hacked it up for me (and added that to the price). Big stores in Greece do that thing here. Also some DVD clubs will handle your player for you. Of course, all this is happenning in Greece...

There are sites though that will give you enough information - try to search with metacrawler