PDA

View Full Version : Troma's Stendhal Syndrome DVD

mystro
10-17-2001, 06:23 PM
Is the quality ie. dubbing really that bad? Worth a purchase?

Paff
10-17-2001, 07:45 PM
Two answers: Yes, and Yes

The dubbing is REALLY annoying! Who the hell thought it was a good idea for (the person dubbing) Asia to whisper all her dialogue? The Troma propaganda is equally as bad. I bought the Japanese laserdisc, which has the same dubbing, but at least now I don't have to watch Lloyd Kaufman's stupid intro.

But the movie is GREAT, one of Argento's best. Each time you watch it, you'll pick up something new. It's a very subtle piece of work, with a lot of ideas just under the surface. Easily one of the best horror movies of the 90s.

mystro
10-17-2001, 07:57 PM
Perhaps I'll wait until AB puts this out, if ever. Anyone know if and when this one will be released by AB?

The Chaostar
10-17-2001, 08:06 PM
There are two good Stendhal dvd's (and yes, the movie is a masterpiece).

The French release. It has only a trailer but the picture framed at 1:85.1 is great, well defined and anamorphic. It is a wonderful transfer actually. The sound is not that good but again is good enough. The only bad thing is the unremovable french subtitles, damn those French!

The Dutch release. Anamorphic again at 1:66.1 (which IS the correct framing - though , let's be serious, you do not lose that much at 1:85.1) but with not that good transfer. Still a thousand times better than Troma's abomination! It is region free I think and has as bonus Dario Argento's World Of Horror!!!!! yes, the 70 minute long documentary! (With poor picture but who cares). It has removable subtitles also.

Paff
10-17-2001, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by mystro
Perhaps I'll wait until AB puts this out, if ever. Anyone know if and when this one will be released by AB?

Why wait? I mean, the Troma edition shouldn't run you more than $15. Buy it, and if you like it, shell out for one of the international versions Chaostar 's talking about.

It's pretty dumb to avoid such a great film just because the only US version is poorly dubbed.

The Chaostar
10-17-2001, 08:31 PM
Right on Paff!:D

mystro
10-17-2001, 10:42 PM
Where or how can I buy the Dutch release?

K'
10-17-2001, 11:35 PM
I think the Troma dvd is ok, the dubbing is bad but the movie is still watchable. So if you can get it cheap buy it.

If you really want the dutch release http://www.proxis.nl/ has it for 22.91$
They ship overseas.

Werner Von Wallenrod
10-17-2001, 11:59 PM
I don't see why the "Troma propaganda" should put you off this disc... You don't have to watch it anymore than you have to watch the trailers, etc for other films on other DVDs. Just don't select it from the menu, and if you find it amusing - bonus.
Plus, this disc also has some Stendhal related extras (interview with Argento, some other stuff I think... I forget now), and an interview with Deodato about Cannibal Holocaust (why? I don't know. But it's still a good thing).

Those French and Dutch Stendhal DVDs aren't region 1 or 0, are they?

And if you're a fan of Eurohorror and haven't steeled yourself to cheesy dubbing yet... Well, you must be a very frustrated person. :)

Andrew
10-18-2001, 12:00 AM
Yeah, I got the Troma version and am more than glad that I only had to shell out $15.

The picture isn't that bad, but it still could benefit from an all out remaster from AB. Still it's good, and the movie is EXCELLENT, so just buy the damn Troma disc already :D.

Jason25
10-18-2001, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by Paff
Two answers: Yes, and Yes

The dubbing is REALLY annoying! Who the hell thought it was a good idea for (the person dubbing) Asia to whisper all her dialogue? The Troma propaganda is equally as bad. I bought the Japanese laserdisc, which has the same dubbing, but at least now I don't have to watch Lloyd Kaufman's stupid intro.

But the movie is GREAT, one of Argento's best. Each time you watch it, you'll pick up something new. It's a very subtle piece of work, with a lot of ideas just under the surface. Easily one of the best horror movies of the 90s.

Lloyd Kaufman is an ass.

If you like the film, I suggest picking up the Troma disc because it may be the only R1 release we ever see of this film. If you have a region free player I suggest picking up the Dutch disc, I like it.

K'
10-18-2001, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by Werner Von Wallenrod
I don't see why the "Troma propaganda" should put you off this disc... You don't have to watch it anymore than you have to watch the trailers, etc for other films on other DVDs. Just don't select it from the menu, and if you find it amusing - bonus.
Plus, this disc also has some Stendhal related extras (interview with Argento, some other stuff I think... I forget now), and an interview with Deodato about Cannibal Holocaust (why? I don't know. But it's still a good thing).

And if you're a fan of Eurohorror and haven't steeled yourself to cheesy dubbing yet... Well, you must be a very frustrated person. :)

Damn. I really forgot the Julie Strain rap it is really a plus. The Dario Interviews are also cool. I have no regrets buying the Troma disc.

mystro
10-18-2001, 01:25 AM
Thanks guys, I'll pick it up as soon as I get a chance. Why miss a great Argento film, if I don't have to.

MovieFan
10-20-2001, 06:17 AM
What would you rather have?

For $25: A decent anamorphic transfer at 1.66:1 along with World of Horror or an amazing anamorphic transfer at 1.85:1 with a trailer....

*OR*

For $15: A piece of shit non-anamorphic transfer at 1.66:1 with a decent sounding DD 2.0 track that includes quite a bit of extras and some of those include NAKED women. NAKED women. Women getting all kinds of NAKED. One of those women being a NAKED Carmen Electra. NAKED NAKED NAKED.

I rest my case. :D

I bought the Japanese laserdisc, which has the same dubbing, but at least now I don't have to watch Lloyd Kaufman's stupid intro.

There's a thing called a skip button on DVD remotes. Use it.

mystro
10-20-2001, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by Werner Von Wallenrod

The Dutch DVD is region 2, don't know about the French one.

Andrew
10-20-2001, 07:34 PM
MF: Where's the nude Carmen Electra??? I looked through all the crap and didn't see her. :D

POST #501 BABY!!!!!!

Wermode
10-21-2001, 08:10 AM
A few seconds of Carmen are featured in the T.I.T., the Troma Intelligence Test, included on the DVD.

But after watching Asia for 90 minutes or so, who needs Carmen Electra?

;)

mystro
11-01-2001, 08:28 PM
Just watched the Troma version of Stendhal Syndrome. Talk about a bad transfer! Atrocious, was this disc mastered from a VHS?? Looks that way. Even the dubbing wasn't as bad.

Anyhow, a great film, I really enjoyed it. Some good interviews with Argento and some naked women on the Troma tour. Check it out.

Originally posted by Jason25

Lloyd Kaufman is an ass.

Agree, he is a jack ass. I just FF his intro.

The Chaostar
11-05-2001, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by mystro
Agree, he is a jack ass.

I think we should start boycot Troma until they realise that

I - Such bad transfers are unacceptable
2- Releasing p&s version of non-troma films is unacceptable. Also, the deleted scenes of Terror Firmer are letterboxed and look MUCH better than the actual film. That's unacceptable.
3- mono sound in modern films is unacceptable (except if your name is Woody Allen)
4- Having the same extras on every DVD is unacceptable
5- Having Lloyd Kaufman introductions and being forced to see them and not skip them is totally unacceptable.

I will only buy their DVD's from Ebay - because I want to make sure that my money don't go to them.

mystro
11-05-2001, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by The Chaostar

I think we should start boycot Troma

Good idea! Troma sucks!!

I will only buy their DVD's from Ebay - because I want to make sure that my money don't go to them. [/B]

That's where I got the Stendhal Syndrome DVD.