PDA

View Full Version : Frankenstein movies help

Paff
10-17-2001, 09:23 PM
And Johnny Alucard, I'm talking to you, as well as some of the other Hammer fans here.

I have opportunities to buy the following movies on Laserdisc: Evil of Frankenstein, Frankenstein Created Woman, and Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed

Are these among the better Frankensteins? Now, I know some of you would suggest buying these at any cost. But I'm not made of money, and I'm just a casual Hammer fan, not a rabid one. Which, if any of these LDs should I grab?

Yowie
10-18-2001, 12:05 AM
Yes, they're great entries, and I'd say definitely grab "Evil". I haven't seen the picture quality but Universal is usually very good, and the movie rocks. My 2nd choice would be "Destroyed", and since Warner keeps it locked up in their vaults we won' t be seeing that one on DVD anytime soon, so if you have the dollars. "Created" is out on DVD, so as a casual Hammer fan get the DVD instead.

Johnny Alucard
10-18-2001, 12:41 AM
Of course you will get different opinions on which is the best but they are all good Hammer films.
I prefer Frankenstein Created Woman first but as Yowie said it is available on DVD so I would pass on that one.
My next choice would be Frankenstein Must be Destroyed. This was a very limited Laserdisc. It is a pretty good transfer. It has some specks and the color is not as good as it could be but it is in Widescreen. Since this one is owned by Warner Bros. who knows when it will come to DVD so I say grab it if you can.
Evil of Frankenstein is good too. The Laserdisc is a good transfer but not Widescreen. This is owned by Universal and is one of the Hammer titles rumored to be coming as Double features on DVD next year. Hopefully in Widescreen too. So thats something to consider if money is tight.
Johnny

Yowie
10-18-2001, 07:37 AM
I didn't even know "Destroyed" was letterboxed on LaserDisc. Strange that Warner put it out on that format and now they're not even considering it on DVD. (-Apparently.) Fingers crossed.

Johnny Alucard
10-18-2001, 06:45 PM
Actually Warners didn't release "Destroyed" on Laserdisc they liscensed this title as well as Curse of Frankenstein and Dracula Has Risen from the Grave all to Image who released widescreen versions of them during the final year of Laserdisc. This makes it even stranger that Warners seems to be unwilling to liscense them to Anchor Bay or Image to release on DVD. They are currently claiming that they will wait and see how the Mummy sells on DVD but even if it sells well we won't see any more until 2003. Pretty Strange.
Johnny