PDA

View Full Version : Two from Tobe in September

rhett
07-12-2006, 12:32 AM
Dark Sky will finally be doing justice to two early films from Tobe Hooper that are much loved, but have been much neglected on DVD. On September 26th, the genre classic THE TEXAS CHAIN SAW MASSACRE and Hooper's follow-up, EATEN ALIVE, will both see new 16x9 special editions. Pioneer's previous special edition release of MASSACRE, which was marred by an improper, non-anamorphic laserdisc transfer and compression artifacts from cramming the film and its supplements on a single layer DVD, was released all the way back in 1998. EATEN ALIVE has probably fared worse, since Elite's release of the film in 2001, also non-anamorphic, was sorely lacking extras.

Talks of a special edition for TEXAS CHAIN SAW have been long coming, ever since Don May announced that he was supervising a new HD transfer of the film a few years ago. It had been pretty quiet since then, but finally all the release details and artwork for the two films have been revealed. Here is what we're looking at:

http://www.horrordvds.com/reviews/pictures/chainsaw_sm.jpg (http://www.horrordvds.com/reviews/pictures/chainsaw.jpg)

THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE gets a newly upgraded 16x9 transfer, a new Dolby Digital 5.1 surround mix, all the old DVD supplements as well as several unique to this release. It comes on two discs and in a classy steel box. Retail is $29.98, and it looks to be worth every penny. Here’s the full list:

• Remastered 16x9 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen
• Newly created Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack
• Dolby Surround 2.0 soundtrack
• Remastered mono soundtrack
• New Commentary with actors Marilyn Burns, Paul A. Partain, Allen Danzinger, and art director (the late) Robert A. Burns
• Audio commentary with director Tobe Hooper, cinematographer Daniel Pearl, and actor Gunnar Hansen
• “The Texas Chain Saw Massacre: The Shocking Truth” feature-length documentary
• “Flesh Wounds: A Tour of the TCM house with Leatherface” featurette
• Deleted scenes
• Outtakes
• Blooper reel
• Outtakes from David Gregory’s “The Shocking Truth” documentary
• Theatrical trailers
• TV spots
• Radio spots
• Still gallery

http://www.horrordvds.com/reviews/pictures/eaten_sm.jpg (http://www.horrordvds.com/reviews/pictures/eaten.jpg)

A long overlooked film in Hooper’s canon, EATEN ALIVE, will come skinned and dressed with a multitude of new extras. Although only a single disc release, you can bet it will be packed in typical Dark Sky fashion. Cheaper than CHAIN SAW, this one will run you $19.98. Here’s the rundown:

• 16x9 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen transfer
• Dolby Digital 2.0 mono soundtrack
• Audio commentary with producer/co-writer Mardi Rustam, actors Roberta Collins,
William Finley and Kyle Richards, and make-up artist Craig Reardon
• "My Name is Buck" Robert Englund featurette
• "The Butcher of Elmendorf: The Legend of Joe Ball" featurette
• Theatrical trailers
• Still gallery

This year is shaping to be a big year for horror releases, with all of the major studios contributing several new special editions of both films new and old. With a beloved classic too long neglected on DVD and another film fit for rediscovery though, Dark Sky could just emerge this fall with the year’s must have DVDs. In Saw We Trust.

betterdan
07-12-2006, 12:56 AM
Wow I can't wait. :banana:
I saw Eaten Alive a while back for the first time and didn't care for it that much but I will probably buy this new edition and give it another chance. TCM is a no brainer, Zoso and Walkingdude would probably even buy it. ;)

adric
07-12-2006, 12:56 AM
both are mine

KamuiX
07-12-2006, 12:57 AM
Will be getting both of these, for sure...will be the 3rd edition of TCM I've picked up on DVD, but being the greatest horror film ever made, it's definitely worth it.

MorallySound
07-12-2006, 12:58 AM
I will definately be buying both.

walkingdude
07-12-2006, 01:21 AM
Wow I can't wait. :banana:
I saw Eaten Alive a while back for the first time and didn't care for it that much but I will probably buy this new edition and give it another chance. TCM is a no brainer, Zoso and Walkingdude would probably even buy it. ;)
No actually I won't be in any hurry for Chainsaw.I guess I have to buy Eaten Alive for the special features.
Zoso would buy it if the naked midget scene was put back in.

thrashard76
07-12-2006, 01:22 AM
Mine and mine.

betterdan
07-12-2006, 01:25 AM
:eek1: They found those lost scenes?

killnstalk
07-12-2006, 01:44 AM
is eaten alive a slasher film?

walkingdude
07-12-2006, 01:54 AM
What if it's not?

bigdaddyhorse
07-12-2006, 02:02 AM

Not really.
I'm not much of a fan of that new cover, the original was much better.

http://images.dvdempire.com/gen/movies/9393h.jpg

That being said, I'll probably pick this up. Not sure about TCM.

ZoSo
07-12-2006, 02:27 AM
No actually I won't be in any hurry for Chainsaw.I guess I have to buy Eaten Alive for the special features.

Your father was a hell of an actor too! Hopefully they'll add his scene so he gets the credit he deserves! :lol:

YottNik
07-12-2006, 03:05 AM
I imagine I'll be getting TCM at some point.

Especially since I've never seen it in its entirety.

*ducks*

DrHerbertWest
07-12-2006, 03:24 AM
I have the Pioneer release of TCM. I don't know if I want to double dip...

Not to ruin the topic of the thread but I discovered today they are releasing (75th Anniversary Editions) of both Dracula & Frankenstein. When I bought these in the pack at Best Buy after Van Helsing came out (the pack with the exclusive statues), I thought those were DEFINITIVE. Now we're getting re-releases of Dracula, Frankenstein, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Nightmare On Elm Street, etc.

My head is going to explode like YottNik's avatar.

Gore Lunatic
07-12-2006, 03:49 AM
I will buy both dvds as well. Can't wait to see how the picture quality looks on TCM.

Damage
07-12-2006, 04:02 AM
Yeah, baby, YEAH!!

Erick H.
07-12-2006, 06:01 AM
These discs sound great,it'd be nice to see a strong release of EATEN ALIVE.

ArrowBeach
07-12-2006, 06:16 AM
EATEN ALIVE is OK but I doubt I will see it again, no need for me to double dip as I have the earlier release, plus rather disappointed there is no audio commentary with Tobe Hooper on EATEN ALIVE as I would have been curious on what he had to say.

henrychinaski
07-12-2006, 10:25 AM
I didn't want to have to put more money out on another edition of TCM but this one looks worth it if just for the audio commentary with the actors.

Katatonia
07-12-2006, 10:37 AM
HELL YES! TCM is my most wanted, but I'll definitely get Eaten Alive as well.

The Steel Box for TCM sounds sweet. I wonder if it'll be the same type as the Dune/Quiet Earth variety...or a custom design?

shithead
07-12-2006, 11:05 AM
i will be getting both.

evildeadfan123
07-12-2006, 11:10 AM
I am definitely buying TCM, I will rent Eaten Alive. Maybe I will buy it. Haven't see it for some time.

Ash28M
07-12-2006, 11:49 AM
I always thought Eaten Alive was an underrated fun film, not sure if it's good enough to double dip though. On the other Hand TCM is given.

Myron Breck
07-12-2006, 02:49 PM
Of course, I'll be double-dipping for TCM (although I wish the metal box were optional!) but probably not for EATEN ALIVE. I bought the previous release and was very disappointed; still haven't given it a second look.

Workshed
07-12-2006, 03:28 PM
What the heck is Eaten Alive like? Both boxes look hilarious!

fceurich39
07-12-2006, 06:28 PM
Tcm Is Also My Most Wanted Dvd Of 2006 Also I Will Be Getting That Same Day Is Nightmare On Elm Street Special Edition 2 Dvd Set And Street Trash Meltdown 2 Disc Edition I Probably Won't Get Eaten Alive Dark Sky Edition Mainly Because Of The Other 3 I Am Getting And Also I Am Pleased With The Elite Disc Which I Bought Last Year

horrorlover
07-12-2006, 06:42 PM
I definetely want to see that new dvd of Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and the commentary with Marilyn Burns sounds interesting, I bet she has some stories to tell about the making of the movie. Also it has to look better than the dvd I bought like 6 years ago! That one looks pretty poor

It's me, Billy
07-12-2006, 08:54 PM
Tcm Is Also My Most Wanted Dvd Of 2006

Mine too. I've already got it pre-ordered with Amazon.com. Pioneer's transfer sucks badly and I'm so glad that this horror classic is finally getting the royal treatment it deserves. This DVD set has been overdue for years. I can't wait to see the remastered 16x9 enhanced transfer! :banana:

Myron Breck
07-12-2006, 09:30 PM
I wonder how this new transfer will compare to the R2 SE....anyone seen any screen shots? I don't believe that the R2 is anamorphic, which will be a factor when I finally get a widescreen TV.

fceurich39
07-12-2006, 10:36 PM
i wonder if retailers like circuit city and wal mart will get this i remember when pioneer re released TCM they got it but they have not carried any dark sky titles and circuit city had this also as well as henry portrait of a serial 20th anniv dvd but that is it for all dark sky titles with TCM being one of most popular movies and the prequel hitting theaters and part 2 getting special edition dvd treatment one would think this version of TCM will put dark sky on the map for all retailers

also i was surprised that finding the 2 april 25th dark sky dvd releases don't go near the park and magic were very hard to find and kinda still is

CasEjonz
07-13-2006, 12:36 AM
I agree with Big Daddy Horse, the Eaten Alive cover sucks, I like the original better, but I will buy it none the less. This is the year for making me double and triple dip. Not only TCMbut TCM II, Halloween, 25 years of Terror, are among several that will make me buy...yet again!!!

Anthropophagus
07-13-2006, 02:14 AM
I'm pretty happy with my Pioneer Texas Chainsaw Massacre dvd, so I doubt I will double dip-just how good can a low budget film from over thirty years ago look?? As for Eaten Alive, all prints I have seen for this film were beyond abysmal and really detracted from me being able to enjoy the film. That being said it seemed pretty lowbrow and cheesy, doubt I will buy that one either. Nonetheless, this is big news for Hooper completists.

betterdan
07-13-2006, 03:42 AM
I'm pretty happy with my Pioneer Texas Chainsaw Massacre dvd, so I doubt I will double dip-just how good can a low budget film from over thirty years ago look??
Here we go again. It can look as good as the film it was shot on, which is a lot better than dvd especially when the old dvd had some compression artifacts which are not part of the film. This newer dvd is coming from an HD transfer so it should look a hell of a lot better than the old pioneer release. Notice I said should as there is always room for mistakes.

Guyver99
07-13-2006, 03:45 AM
The only people who are satisified with the ancient Pioneer TCM disc are those that:

a) don't care about better picture quality and/or
b) don't have a modern widescreen TV

Seeing that I care about both, I'm picking this up without reading any reviews if the disc is anamorphic finally--and it is.

killnstalk
07-14-2006, 12:29 AM
ill most defiantley pick up the TCM 2 dvd set.

It's me, Billy
07-14-2006, 12:33 AM
The only people who are satisified with the ancient Pioneer TCM disc are those that:

a) don't care about better picture quality and/or
b) don't have a modern widescreen TV

Seeing that I care about both, I'm picking this up without reading any reviews if the disc is anamorphic finally--and it is.

Amen to that. Thank you. I'm amazed that some people are not only putting down this new transfer from Dark Sky, but also defending Pioneer's transfer. I wish these people would wait until they've seen Dark Sky's transfer on their TV screen before dismissing it. Pioneer's transfer should not be defended. It's crap. There are a lot of things wrong with it. It's overly dark. It suffers from color bleeding. It was encoded badly resulting in some images on the screen to appear "jumpy." There are lines occassionally running through the picture. And if nothing else, it's non-anamorphic. Dark Sky's transfer (in addition to being totally remastered) is 16x9 enhanced. Is there anyone out there that would really choose a crappy non-anamorphic transfer over a remastered 16x9 enhanced transfer?

TCM was never supposed to look like crap, but that's how it looks on the Pioneer DVD.

maskull
07-14-2006, 06:50 AM
I've been waiting for Eaten Alive. Really like that movie so I'll be picking it up for sure. The copy I have of it is pretty lousy, get kind of dark in spots so I can't tell what's going on. Hopefully that'll be improved in the new disc.

TCM....nah. Maybe if I only buy half of the film and they give me a discount.

FulciZombieFan
07-15-2006, 07:59 AM
So this new DVD release of TCM is the one Don May Jr. supervised for HDTV a couple or years or so ago or is this a totally different/new transfer?

New can be better but not always ... I'd be more happy to know this is the Don May Jr. supervised transfer.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman

It's me, Billy
07-15-2006, 01:46 PM
So this new DVD release of TCM is the one Don May Jr. supervised for HDTV a couple or years or so ago or is this a totally different/new transfer?

New can be better but not always ... I'd be more happy to know this is the Don May Jr. supervised transfer.

John, you can rest easy. This new transfer from Dark Sky is the exact same one that Don supervised for VOOM in 2003. Don has said that he's made a few more tweaks since then to make the transfer even better for this DVD release. Here's a comment he posted last year.

It should be awesome...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MPI is releasing it, but the transfer on the film is brand-new. I supervised the transfer for the new version and it looks pretty damn good. We went back to the original materials and did a brand-new HD transfer in 1080p onto D5.

If any of you have the VOOM HD satellite service, then you may have seen what the transfer looks like already, but we've done some further extensive restoration on the film and it's really great. There is more picture information on the sides than there was before (thank you HD film scanner... hehe) and the colors are much better!

I don't know about all the extras, but I do know that the transfer is quite nice!

betterdan
07-15-2006, 03:18 PM
Damn, I can't wait to see this transfer.

FulciZombieFan
07-15-2006, 07:16 PM
Although I have promised myself to slow down on DVD purchases since I expect either HD DVD or Blu-Ray to be the next "big" thing ... I have to admit ... I need to buy this new TCM DVD when it comes out :D

Although I'm sure once either HD DVD and/or Blu-Ray become more popular that we will see a full 1080p HDTV version ... since the "master" exists now.

betterdan
07-15-2006, 09:42 PM
You only live once Johnny Coleman, spend spend spend!

FulciZombieFan
07-16-2006, 12:01 AM
You only live once Johnny Coleman, spend spend spend!
LOL how true ...

... BUT ...

I've gone through the VHS to LaserDisc "update craze" and then the DVD Video "update craze" so I've had "my fill" of that ...

But when HD-DVD/Blu-Ray take off ... I'll be doing the "update craze" yet again I am sure LOL :lol:

RyanPC
07-16-2006, 01:38 AM
This special edition of TCM is shaping up to be one of my most anticipated releases ever. I can't wait to see the new transfer.

I didn't think much of Eaten Alive so originally I wasn't going to buy this rerelease, but now I think I have to get it. The cover is awesome and the extras sound nice, so this release will make a nice companion for TCM.

It's me, Billy
07-16-2006, 04:24 AM
Menu screenshots have been posted here (http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/the-texas-chain-saw-massacre.html?page=1).

rp108
07-16-2006, 04:39 AM
CAN'T WAIT for this release!!! Nice transfer w/ a shitload of extras, a little late but looks like it is worth the wait.

ReNeGaDe
07-17-2006, 01:31 AM
a commentary from marilyn burns alone makes me want to throw away my "meat packing" edition out while im driving

Crazy Ralph
07-17-2006, 01:38 AM
The only time I've ever seen the original TCM on DVD, it was $75. I'm so glad this is being released again, with this 2 disc special.

Can't wait.

Rocker416
09-04-2006, 04:14 PM
Looks like Eaten Alive is being delayed............for a new transfer
http://www.fangoria.com/news_article.php?id=2617

betterdan
09-04-2006, 04:29 PM
Well that's good, maybe they can do the transfer right this time where it can take advantage of progressive players.

maskull
09-04-2006, 04:52 PM
Well that's good that it'll look it's best, but I was really looking forward the Eaten Alive being released so I'm a bit disappointed.

fceurich39
09-04-2006, 04:56 PM
i am glad it got delayed to many titles on sept 26th already will get it when it is released though

satans-sadists
09-04-2006, 07:18 PM
i am glad it got delayed to many titles on sept 26th already will get it when it is released though

Same here. Sept. 26th was looking too crowded with new releases I wanted.

Cujo108
09-04-2006, 10:51 PM
I was hoping the delay was to correct the transfer issues. Good to know.

Matt89
09-05-2006, 12:08 AM
Oh I'm likin' this commpany more and more. They postpone the release date to a RARE and OBSCURE title that never really gets the recognition it deserves to do what? Give it a BETTER transfer! Who cares if it's been delayed. This is fuckin' sweet! And I love their mentality of, "Well since we're delaying it already why don't we take some time and record a new commentary with the director and add some new special features?" What do I say?....FUCKIN' SERIOUS! That's some awesome shit! Anchor Bay should take a page out of Dark Sky's book (with their countless releases of certain titles), becsuse Dark Sky seems to be learning very well from the masters at Criterion. This sounds like the type of shit Criterion does (recalling a title to remaster the picture and add even MORE features...except Dark Sky did this BEFORE they released the title!) and if Dark Sky is gonna start doing this, they'll soon begin to be the leading horror distributor out there! Fucking number ONE in my book right now. Props to Dark Sky! Giving fans what they want!

~Matt

FulciZombieFan
09-13-2006, 11:23 AM
Oh I'm likin' this commpany more and more. They postpone the release date to a RARE and OBSCURE title that never really gets the recognition it deserves to do what? Give it a BETTER transfer! Who cares if it's been delayed. This is fuckin' sweet! And I love their mentality of, "Well since we're delaying it already why don't we take some time and record a new commentary with the director and add some new special features?" What do I say?....FUCKIN' SERIOUS! That's some awesome shit! Anchor Bay should take a page out of Dark Sky's book (with their countless releases of certain titles), becsuse Dark Sky seems to be learning very well from the masters at Criterion. This sounds like the type of shit Criterion does (recalling a title to remaster the picture and add even MORE features...except Dark Sky did this BEFORE they released the title!) and if Dark Sky is gonna start doing this, they'll soon begin to be the leading horror distributor out there! Fucking number ONE in my book right now. Props to Dark Sky! Giving fans what they want!

~Matt

Dark Sky is basically MPI as I understand it and does anyone remember the MPI DVD release of HENRY PORTRAIT OF A SERIAL KILLER that had the audio way out of sync during the movie and director interview? I sure do as I own it ... and they never recalled that!

Sure they released a better version but years later with no "upgrade" options for those of us (like me) that got screwed on the earlier release.

Good to see that they have changed but old wounds heal slow.