PDA

View Full Version : The Howling & Orca The Killer Whale R2 Versions

Ele-Mantle
01-27-2001, 02:12 AM
Today both a little Joe Dante movie about some werewolves called "The Howling " AND "Orca the Killer Whale" got released on DVD in Holland/Europe. I think we are the first country in the world that have these two great movies released in uncut form on DVD.
Oh yeah, I can also tell you that both titles are released in Widescreen.
Anyone interested in these titles?
I'll be back later in the day with some reviews of these great movies. (That leg chewing Orca just rules, especially in 2.35:1!)

jae
01-27-2001, 03:48 AM
Wow.. Thanks for the info. Orca is probably the scariest movie I've ever seen. No kidding. http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/smile.gif I may have to check that out.

JBENE
01-27-2001, 07:14 AM
I just bought a VHS copy of ORCA a couple weeks ago and I forgot how damn scary the film was.I mean he jumps put of the water and the most unexpected times to grab somebody.Really cool film.

mutleyhyde
01-27-2001, 08:17 AM
Yeah, but that post mortem birth shot was very over the top, if also very repulsive at the same time. The shot may have worked for me if it didn't feel like they were overtly tugging at the heartstrings so much. But what do I know? Other than that, I love the show. Richard Harris rules. I'd also love to have The Howling. Any good werewolf movie is a must have. But the question remains... are these discs PAL, NTSC, region 1,2,3, etc.?

------------------
"When I go to confession, I don't offer God small sins - petty squables, jealousies - I offer him sins worth forgiving!"

May the Hammer eternally bleed!
M. Hyde

[This message has been edited by mutleyhyde (edited 01-27-2001).]

Ele-Mantle
01-27-2001, 03:06 PM
Well, I just got back from the shop to buy the two very cheap discs. I paid 26 Dutch guilders for each DVD, so that's about ten dollars for each title!. (And I also bought Last House On the Left for the same price, poor me, WOW !) I wil start watching the movies in a couple of minutes, so I'll be back in a couple of hours to give my thoughts about both discs. I can already tell you that both titles are region 2 coded and PAL (as expected). Talk to you soon..

Ele-Mantle
01-27-2001, 08:38 PM
I'm finished with watching the non-anamorphic PAL R2 DVD's and I can say that quality wise there's one disc that sucks and one that's pretty fine by me.
I personally don't own an expensive Home Cinema Theatre. I watched the discs on a good mid-size 4:3 Philips TV with a good Philips DVD player, through the RGB connection with a scart-cable. So, nothing truly expensive or amazing.
Like I said before, both titles are pretty cheap, so don't expect extras, 5.1 soundtracks and other goodies.
Both titles are movie-only versions, with English soundtracks only and Dutch subtitles
which can easily be turned on and off, which I guess is a good thing for most of you. There are no English or other subtitles available. The movies both have 8 chapters, and most chapterstops come/start at totally unlogical moments. Whatever..

First the bad disc...It's....Orca the Killer Whale!! Really, this disc is only for people that love the movie and really wanna own it in it's original aspect ratio of 2:35.1, which is really the only way to watch this beautifully shot movie. Unfortunately, the transfer is way too shabby to take seriously or get excited about.There's no pixel breakup or things like that but it looks old,sometimes greentinted and at times it's way too dark. The transfer is also full of grain and speckles. So I guess for a decent version we (that's some of us,the fans of the movie) shall have to wait for Paramount to dig it up and release it as a region 1 version.
The Howling looks fine. It's a very clean transfer, I didn't notice any grain or speckles, and although I expect MGM to come up with a much better print, I'm absolutely oke with this transfer. The movie looks a little soft and therefore sometimes a little out of focus, but I' m quite sure this is just the way this lowbudget 80's movie always looked anyway. I couldn't do an A/B comparison with the Laserdisc because I don't own it, but I have seen it on Laser more than once and I'm know this looks just a little better. It has the same widescreen ratio as wel. Unfotunately, there aren't any of the supplements of that Special Edition Laserdisc, but I really can't complain for a movie this fine for this price. So, one good looking DVD and one very bad one...
Hmm, and I also wanted to say that the Dutch version of The Convent is in Widescreen instead of that open matte version I read about on this forum..

jae
01-27-2001, 08:57 PM
Hi. Thanks for the info.. Thats too bad about Orca. I didn't know there was a Dutch Covent DVD! Hows the video quality on that and are the subtitles on it removable as well? Also would you know where we could find that online? Thanks http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/smile.gif

K'
01-27-2001, 11:00 PM
@Ele-Mantle
Looks like i have to make a short travel to the NL.
I will pick up some nice dvds then: Red Sonja, The Howling and Last house on the left some Japan Shock DVDs and maybe the Convent.
Do you know any details about the Convent DVD?
Which aspectration exactly, extras, audio format and so on?

------------------
Whoever said violence never solves problems
obviously never used enough of it.

Ele-Mantle
01-28-2001, 12:43 AM
Hi jae, yes I totaly agree with you about the Orca DVD. I'd rather had it the other way around, because we all know that at least an oke looking Howling is gonna come our way from MGM. Still, can anybody tell me if Orca ever got officially released on widescreen VHS in the States? Because I'm quite sure only a pan & scan Laserdisc was released, and really, if you haven't seen it in Panavision, you'll experience a different movie. Yes, the transfer is very dissapointing, but hey, it's still a widescreen Orca!
Yes my friends, about the Convent...
I've got it here right in front of me.
I think this movie was released yesterday, and today I got the DVD rentalversion, which is exactly the same as the one that's for sale over here.
I've only looked at the quality and the extras on the disc, and I have yet to see the whole movie. All 84 minutes, but that's PAL time, I think/hope you all know the story about the running time differences, I have no doubt this is the full version. Oke, it's a release by DutchFilmWorks. The aspect ratio is aprox. 1.85:1 (from what i saw) and the Image and sound quality look very fine.
Don't ask me about sound quality specs. The inlay states that it is Dolby Surround and it sounds very good to me. There's subtitles in Dutch, that can be turned on/off. There's only an English soundtrack. There's a couple of extras on the disc as well. There are some intervieuws with the cast and crew and the running time of this extra is a little over 9 minutes. Then there are Biographies and Filmographies , written in Dutch, this looked quite extensive. At last there are some photo's you can step through (I think an amazing 5 or 6 pictures in total!) I'm gonna watch the movie now and I'll get back to you later. From what I saw so far; at least the monsters look teriffic! I think I also know an adres/shop were you can get all the movies we talked about for a normal price. First I'm gonna watch The Convent. Later dudes..!

Ele-Mantle
01-28-2001, 03:20 AM
I just finished watching The Convent and I think a lot of you people out there are gonna love this movie. I remember somebody calling it a cross between Evil Dead2 & Braindead, playing in the here and now, and the guy hit the nail on the head, cause that IS what it is like.
Like I said before, in Holland we have the 1:85.1 version, and not the open matte. The running time is wrongly stated on the box, because it ain't 84 but 76 minutes. There's an 8/9 minute intervieuw featurette (stupid word) on the disc, so I guess that's why it is being stated as 84 minutes. There's something I must say about the disc...the quality isn't exactly great.
A lot of scenes play in the dark, and the picture looks pretty fuzzy and hazy in those scenes.
The Image is really B- quality. It's not as bad as our friend Orca , but the Howling disc looks better. I'm pretty sure the UK fullframe version will have the same transfer . If I'm wrong, please let me/us know.

The disc, that also has a fun trailer(this I forgot to mention earlier)costs 50 Dutch Guilders in Holland and that's aprox. 20/22 dollars. There's a great mail/postordershop in Holland thats specialized in Cult/Horror/Sci/Fi/Shock titles called CineCity, who also send video's, cd soundtracks and DVD's all over the world.
I'm sure the guy that runs the shop, will be of service to everyone who wants to buy his titles. I think it will be cheaper to order from him than to buy from Sazuma or place bids on E-Bay.

Here's his adress : Cinecity.Hogguer@WXS.NL He also has loads of rare soundtracks, video's and other stuff. So if you're looking for all those great Dutch (The Convent,the Dawn and Day sets, Last house, The Howling, Orca) and European movie treats you can send the guy a mail.

I really have to get some sleep now. Maybe I'll be a father next time I'll post, because my super-pregnant sweet girlfriend is about to give birth to our first child any moment now. Say a little prayer for us! Bye!

ArrowBeach
01-28-2001, 05:37 AM
ORCA wasreleased on WS LD in Japan almost 8 years ago. I am sure the copy has to be better than this DVD.

Ele-Mantle
01-28-2001, 11:35 PM
That's fantastic news ArrowBeach. I just know loads and loads of forum members have large amounts of copies dusting away on their shelves, willing to give up on them for free or trade for almost nothing. Hello, anybody? ANYBODY...!!!?