PDA

View Full Version : Best horror DVD ever

AceRimRat
10-20-2001, 04:39 AM
OK, here's the deal. I want to run a poll on Best Horror DVD Ever.

Hey, that's what this site's all about, right, horror DVDs? (And Cruel Intentions 2, I know...)

I'm going to do my best to come up with a list of the major league discs released over the past several years and you guys go nuts and vote.

I might do a follow-up if I've really flailed (like if everybody votes "Other").

A couple of caveats:

First, I'm a Region 1/NTSC person, so I really only know R1/NTSC discs - sorry to those in Europe if you've got a killer disc I don't know about.

Second, I don't know much about Hammer, so I put in a generic category for Hammer. Same for Universal's Classic Monsters, which I don't know well enough to pick one.

OK, remember, I'm going for Best DVD here, so you set your own criteria, but I'm taking into account pic/sound, features and the quality of the film itself (i.e. Halloween good movie, Jack Frost not so good movie). The list is by no means all-inclusive and outside of the Hammer/UCM bit hopefully doesn't reflect my own prejudices. Seems like AB has a lot on there, I know.

I'm gonna get flamed, but here goes...

MovieFan
10-20-2001, 05:34 AM
I put my vote towards Suspiria.

The DVD is amazing. What more could you ask for? You get a beautiful 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen image that makes the film look only a few years old and not 25 years old, great Dolby Digital and DTS soundtracks, a fifty minute documentary, a full length CD soundtrack, trailers, television spots, radio spots, music videos, a photo gallery, production notes, cast and crew biographies, a text interview with Jessica Harper, and lobby cards. Also, all the extras are in anamorphic widescreen to boot! I paid $25 for the DVD and I couldn't ask for more.

Andrew
10-20-2001, 05:53 AM
Yeah, what MF said.

Jason25
10-20-2001, 06:57 AM
The Beyond Tin

Runner Up
Deep Red

rhett
10-20-2001, 07:18 AM
My vote goes for The Thing. The commentary and documentary alone make this DVD one hell of a release. This is the only film where I have listened to a commentary more than once in its entirety. At 60 minutes (I think), the documentary looks at all the aspects of production that any fan would want to know about, and having most of the cast and crew available for comment really add a lot of depth to it all. Morricone's score is beautiful, and the iscolated score is just as good as having the soundtrack CD. The outtakes are a good viewing, and the wealth of storyboards and production photographs are a bonus. The only knock on this film is that it isn't anamorphic...but since I don't have a HDTV, I could care less :)

Good poll Ace!

RAYMOND BUSH
10-20-2001, 07:53 AM
EVIL DEAD 2 LIMITED EDITION TIN!

skinnypuppy6
10-20-2001, 08:07 AM
The Beyond tin just straight up rocks!

keith70
10-20-2001, 08:42 AM
I voted for Suspiria. The movie looks incredible. The sound may be altered, but it sounds awesome as well. Plus all of the extras, documentary and sountrack. The soundtrack could have used a track listing though.

The Army of Darkness Limited edition is a close second. I like having both versions of the film in one package.

I also like the From Dusk Till Dawn Collector's Series, but didn't see it listed. I love the commentary and deleted scenes, plus you also get the Full Tilt Boogie feature length documentary.

Hellbilly
10-20-2001, 10:17 AM
The Beyond all the way, baby! the tin is just awesome, the extras are plentyful (love that audio commentary), and the film itself kicks ass!

Andrew
10-20-2001, 06:31 PM
I have the Standard Keepcase of the Beyond. I can get the tin for like $25, is it worth getting? What's different? Is the booklet any good?

Hellbilly
10-20-2001, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by AndrewBBD
I have the Standard Keepcase of the Beyond. I can get the tin for like $25, is it worth getting? What's different? Is the booklet any good?

the booklet (48 pages) for The Beyond is just great. you get all the info you ever wanted about Lucio Fulci, a lots of pictures and behind the scenes anecdotes. also included are 6 international poster replicas...

...i dont know anything about the extra stuff on the standard dvd, but as you may know the tin-disc is loaded. if you liked the movie, go ahead and get. its worth it.

Mark Relford
10-22-2001, 07:48 AM
I voted for elite's NOTLD. This disc introduced me to DVD and I never looked back. The transfer's excellent and the supplements compliment the film. Grainy Media VHS be damned!

AceRimRat
10-24-2001, 12:24 AM
I finally voted...

...for The Thing. It was one of my early DVD buys and really opened up the possibilities of DVD to me. Kind of like the Hackmaster's post with NOTLD.

Rhett pretty much covered the details of the disc, and I couldn't agree more.

I wish all of Universal's CE discs lived up to the Sharpline Arts, etc., standard of The Thing, Tremors, the Last Starfighter, etc. as far as documentaries and other stuff.

moogong
10-27-2001, 02:46 AM
The Evil Dead 2 tin set just kicked major booty. Who could ask for a better package???

Peter Vincent
10-29-2001, 03:25 PM
Too many good choices! How can one choose?!?!.....but I did anyway...and I voted New Line's very complete release of Se7en....and I have my reasons:

- Wonderful & knowledgable commentaries.
- Outrageous DD & DTS soundtracks.
- Fantastic.....almost flawless picture & color transfer.
- Picture & audio comparisons of this release AND the old DVD release (makes me happy I waited & bought this one)
- Literally hours of extras that took me the course of several days to go through (got my money's worth :) )!
- And just a hands-down great film by dark director David Fincher!

a close second:
Army Of Darkness: LE

- 2 versions of one of my favorite films, including the then "never-before-seen" dierctor's cut! I was literally "dying" to see this cut!

Demon Tech
10-29-2001, 09:23 PM
I had to say Suspiria because of the 3 discs. The only thing that would have made Suspiria better was put everything into a tin. Runner up: Halloween 2 discs
Demons DVD

Get your DVDS Here
www.angelfire.com/ab6/DemonTech

MISFITZ
10-30-2001, 12:16 AM
I voted for SE7EN.

But was SOOOOOOO close to voting THE THING

T'was a VERY hard choice.

Erg0n
10-30-2001, 05:12 PM
Suspiria,

But the wickerman wooden DVD looks nice. VERY Original

geekcccp
11-21-2003, 11:58 PM
I hated the whole tin thing but I have to give it up to THE BEYOND...I love the film and anchor bay cleaned it up very nice....what more could a fulci fan ask for

etale
11-22-2003, 06:39 AM
I voted for elite's NOTLD. This disc introduced me to DVD and I never looked back. The transfer's excellent and the supplements compliment the film. Grainy Media VHS be damned!

It's one of my favorites in my collection.
Why TOTAL MOVIE/INSIDE DVD decided to use it as a feature for their first combined issue is a mystery to me. The Elite edition is unsuppassed and, who knows? That publication mught still be around if they had chosen something less available.

etale
11-22-2003, 06:41 AM
OK, here's the deal. I want to run a poll on Best Horror DVD Ever.

Hey, that's what this site's all about, right, horror DVDs? (And Cruel Intentions 2, I know...)

I'm going to do my best to come up with a list of the major league discs released over the past several years and you guys go nuts and vote.

I might do a follow-up if I've really flailed (like if everybody votes "Other").

A couple of caveats:

First, I'm a Region 1/NTSC person, so I really only know R1/NTSC discs - sorry to those in Europe if you've got a killer disc I don't know about.

Second, I don't know much about Hammer, so I put in a generic category for Hammer. Same for Universal's Classic Monsters, which I don't know well enough to pick one.

OK, remember, I'm going for Best DVD here, so you set your own criteria, but I'm taking into account pic/sound, features and the quality of the film itself (i.e. Halloween good movie, Jack Frost not so good movie). The list is by no means all-inclusive and outside of the Hammer/UCM bit hopefully doesn't reflect my own prejudices. Seems like AB has a lot on there, I know.

I'm gonna get flamed, but here goes...

I chose the Universal series. because they were well packed with commentary tracks, documentaries, etc.

Besides, there were alot of them I don't have (But wish I did).

RyanPC
01-07-2004, 10:22 PM
Other: The Hills Have Eyes. A fantastic film and a fantastic disc.

Lyle Horowitz
01-07-2004, 10:33 PM
Out of that list:

A Universal Classic Monsters DVD. Probably Bride of Frankenstein.

The Chaostar
01-12-2004, 01:48 PM
Last House On Dead End Street

speanroc
01-12-2004, 03:10 PM
i will either go w/ the maniac tin , last house on dead end street or blood and black lace.....

Tawny
01-12-2004, 03:45 PM
Evil Dead-Book of the Dead. You can't ask for cooler packaging.

dolemite
01-13-2004, 02:18 PM
I haven't decided yet but most likely Phantasm. It's one of my favorite movies and the dvd is packed full. Even the disco remix of the theme is cool to have.

Tawny
01-13-2004, 03:38 PM
Yeah this is definitely one of the best horror dvds I now own! ;)
http://members.cox.net/tawny27/phantasm.jpg

Deaddevilman
01-14-2004, 08:07 AM
The best one ever? I'm still waiting for it.

Agent Z
01-14-2004, 08:12 AM
The best one ever? I'm still waiting for it.

Actually, even if you considered all your dvds to be crap, there would still have to be one piece of crap that was the best piece of crap out of the entire pile of crap, no?

Unless all your crap is equal...........

Deaddevilman
01-14-2004, 08:55 AM
What I'm saying is that I'm still waiting for the best ever horror dvd. I have a lot of great films, but to consider them the best ever is tough. If I was going to choose a best ever it wouldn't be horror.. The Elephant Man. If I had to choose from the list above... Jaws.

Dr_Acula
01-16-2004, 11:29 PM
I love my Elite NOTLD disc. Not a month goes by that I don't pop it in the player at least once.

H0MOSareGAY
01-17-2004, 02:41 AM
Evil Dead II would be the best if I liked tins, but I never got the appeal there so I will have to go with the Book of the Dead edition of Evil Dead

indiephantom
01-17-2004, 06:46 PM
I had to pick OTHER because my favorite horror DVD's weren't on the list...The Nightmare on Elm St. Collection It is absolutely the best box set out there, IMO. I thought the 3-D kicked major buttocks, despite the complaints I've heard. Looks cool on my Sony 53". And the audio and pic quality is still up to the standards of 2004. New Line was always ahead of the pack in transfers and I think this set is brilliant.

Of course, you can't beat the first film. But I like all of them at least to some degree. :banana:

DVD-fanatic-9
06-16-2008, 07:36 PM
My personal vote for what I think is the best horror DVD edition ever released is either MGM's Carrie: Special Edition or MGM's Phantasm: Special Edition.

They just hit so many bases for the Phantasm disc. I got almost everything I would want from a special feature for that movie. I loved every feature. The Angus Scrimm intro. The Fangoria commercial. The disco song and the full version of "Sittin' Here at Midnight." The 30-minute interview. The convention footage. That amazing photo gallery with everything- merchandising, fan art (I love some of the fan drawings they got together, more DVD's should include that!!), promotional posters from around the world (I adore this too, I love seeing how Asian countries and European countries market through posters these late '70s to early '80s horror movies). That wickedly cool Australian tv thing (I adore that so much, it's so fun to watch). The behind the scenes footage - it just feels like you're there (I just wish they had sound for it, like The Evil Dead's behind the scenes footage). The trailers and TV spots. The day I got that DVD home, I just fell into it. It was so awesome!

And the Carrie special edition is a great example of a studio or DVD producer(s) who decided the movie was actually worth talking about for an hour and a half. And it is. And they interview almost every single person involved with the movie. And I'm still fascinated by those featurettes. They're probably the best interview featurettes on any horror DVD I've ever seen. I wish other companies would always hold these and Anchor Bay's The Dead Will Walk (for Dawn of the Dead) featurette as the standard for how all DVD documentaries and featurettes should be.

Mattapooh
06-16-2008, 09:42 PM
The Beyond set has pretty much everything, it's almost ridiculous. I had to go with that one.

DVD-fanatic-9
06-16-2008, 09:54 PM
Set?

X-human
06-16-2008, 10:36 PM
Dawn of the Dead: The Ultimate Edition.

fceurich39
06-17-2008, 12:42 AM
Dawn of the Dead: The Ultimate Edition.

same here

Mattapooh
06-17-2008, 01:10 AM
Set?

... package? Bad choice of words, sorry.

Roo
06-17-2008, 01:47 AM
For me it was a tough call between "Se7en" and "Night of the Living Dead". I flipped a coin and went with "Se7en". Love both movies, I just liked the story & acting a little better in "Se7en".

Coverdale
06-17-2008, 02:46 AM
Whoa...didn't realize this was such an old poll! No wonder all the selections, though good, are a bit "dated."

I picked Suspiria.

It's me, Billy
06-17-2008, 09:34 AM
Dark Sky's 2-Disc Ultimate Edition of The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974) would probably be my favorite. Don May's video transfer is gorgeous. It's restored, it's anamorphic, and it makes the Pioneer transfer look like garbage. And it's loaded with bonus features. Two commentary tracks, two documentaries (one 70+ minutes, the other almost 90 minutes), deleted scenes and alternate footage, bloopers, props and set footage, photos, radio and TV spots, trailers.

I'd also have to nominate Critical Mass' 2002 Collector's Edition and 2006 Special Edition Black Christmas (1974) DVDs. Between the two discs, you get a 1.78:1 anamorphic transfer, two commentary tracks, and numerous cast and crew interviews.

DVD-fanatic-9
06-17-2008, 10:25 AM
... package? Bad choice of words, sorry.
Yeah I was starting to think somewhere in the world someone had released some kind of multi-disc special edition. But you were talking about the Tin, weren't you?

Mattapooh
06-17-2008, 10:51 AM
Yeah, I just obviously went with the wrong term.