PDA

View Full Version : Anyone want 450 Titanic laserdiscs?

Dave
08-24-2006, 01:38 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Lot-of-400-to-450-titanic-laser-disk-NEW_W0QQitemZ220020106884

Shannafey
08-24-2006, 01:49 AM
That has to be one of the stupidest auctions I've ever seen!! I'm sure it would be catered towards a dealer, but at a price of $300, it would take forever to cover costs, if ever! Even if they were sold at $1 each. Who would really want them?? The DVD is $10!!

Paff
08-24-2006, 02:01 AM
I'd take one if it was DTS...

one of my biggest Laser buying mistakes ever: I was at one of the last Pioneer warehouse sales, and they had Titanic on LD. It had just come out, and the DVD wasn't even announced. LD listed at $50, they had it for $20. Thought it was a good deal so I bought it. Now it's a common title, not worth (as you can see in the auction) $0.75.

Why was it such a mistake? I chose it over the box set of Breakfast at Tiffany's (I figured one chick flick was enough). That box set still fetches $20-30 on E-bay.

bigdaddyhorse
08-24-2006, 06:42 AM
So if I buy this, who's gonna give me $5 for a copy?:lol:

Seeing how I'm approx. 2,500 miles away, I think I'll stick with the 3 disc dvd I snagged at Gamestop for $9.99. Takes up much less space and has plenty more extras (I'm guessing the LD's are movie only, maybe a trailer?).

You never know, someone with an un-natural love of the movie might want to grab this lot and use the covers & discs for wallpaper (a recording studio I was at had a bunch of cds as wallpaper, looked kinda cool actually:) ).

Agent Z
08-24-2006, 06:46 AM
Why was it such a mistake? I chose it over the box set of Breakfast at Tiffany's (I figured one chick flick was enough). That box set still fetches $20-30 on E-bay.

And Pioneer said, "What about Breakfast at Tiffany's?"
Paff said, "I think I remember the film,
And as I recall, I think I kinda liked it"
And Pioneer said, "Well, that's one box set we've got!"

The next time Pioneer sings, you had best listen....:(

life_o_petey
08-24-2006, 07:41 AM
oh god...of all the songs to get stuck in my head, it had to be that one...

Gore Lunatic
08-24-2006, 10:39 AM
I'm probrably the only person on earth that has NEVER EVER seen this film. I plan on keeping it that way. :)

bigdaddyhorse
08-24-2006, 05:26 PM
I'm probrably the only person on earth that has NEVER EVER seen this film. I plan on keeping it that way. :)

I was with you until just recently. My hatred of all things Leonardo has subsided (Gangs Of New York & Aviator softened me up). So my GF talked me into giving it a try. Then I found the 3 disc set at Gamestop, right next to the old single disc for the same price and got it for her.
It's really not that bad. Sure there's plenty of sappy shit along the way, but when the ship starts sinking (assuming I don't need spoiler tags here:) ) it's really good. Plus you get Kate's breastistists.:D

I also just checked out The Beach from the library and really enjoyed that at well. That was another Leo movie I was avoiding but never realized Danny Boyle directed.

Wez4555
08-25-2006, 11:49 PM
I was with you until just recently. My hatred of all things Leonardo has subsided (Gangs Of New York & Aviator softened me up). have you seen basketball diaries? i think thats the best ive seen him in. gangs of new york would be second.

bigdaddyhorse
08-26-2006, 12:02 AM
have you seen basketball diaries? i think thats the best ive seen him in. gangs of new york would be second.

Saw it a long time ago when the VHS came out, and had it on for background noise recently. I'll have to try actually watching it again sometime.
I'm not turning into a Leo fan by any means, I'm just to the point where I won't not watch something just cuz he's in it, which I was until Gangs Of New York.
I did really like the last act of The Beach when he starts losing it. Between Boyle's direction and how Leo played it, it was a recent movie highlight for me.

evildeadfan123
08-26-2006, 12:38 AM
I wonder where this seller got 400-450 Titanic Laser Discs. I don't have a LD player anymore, but if I did, I would keep my 3 disc set of Titanic.

Paff
08-26-2006, 01:24 AM
My guess is that because he's in LA, he somehow got them from Pioneer. When they had these sales back in 99-2000, it was just pallets of lasers. When a title ran out, someone would go in the back, and open another case. Massive amounts of laserdiscs.

As for Leo, I'd also throw in a vote for the "update" of Romeo and Juliet. Compare his acting to Claire Danes'. I had to admit, he actually looked like he understood the text, and delivered his lines properly. Claire Danes looked like she didn't understand a single word, and had just memorized the lines. She often emphasized the wrong words, and had no understanding of Shakespeare.

Agent Z
08-26-2006, 09:50 AM
Since this has quickly morphed into a Leo Love thread, I'm going to throw in This Boy's Life (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108330/), which also includes another great a-hole character turn by Robert De Niro.

Hellbilly
08-26-2006, 10:00 AM
No love for Leo in Critters 3? ;)

Agent Z
08-26-2006, 10:04 AM
No love for Leo in Critters 3? ;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v676/MissionCodeZ/Nope.gif

bigdaddyhorse
08-26-2006, 09:26 PM
Since this has quickly morphed into a Leo Love thread, I'm going to throw in This Boy's Life (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108330/), which also includes another great a-hole character turn by Robert De Niro.

I clearly stated it's not a Leo-lovefest! Don't confuse my tolerence for love dammit!:D

Never heard of TBL though, and I'll give anything DeNiro a chance (hell I even sat through Godsend and Hide & Seek:nervous: ).

Admin
09-28-2006, 04:39 PM
Down to less than $.35 each, people!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lot-of-425-titanic-laser-disk-NEW_W0QQitemZ220032019401QQihZ012QQcategoryZ381QQs sPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Workshed
09-28-2006, 04:47 PM
Leo's pretty good in What's Eating Gilbert Grape, although the film itself is great, which may make the Leo Tolerance Index rise. And I think Cripsin Glover is in it, too.

450 LDs of Titanic. What. The. Hell.

MrKateB
09-28-2006, 06:11 PM
Sounds like someone lifted a box off a truck when these were being shipped to the stores, and now they "don't have time to sell them one by one" because they're outta crank, and the bag-man is coming round again soon.

Kolpitz
09-28-2006, 07:13 PM
I'm surprised no one's mentioned Catch Me If You Can yet. I think that's his best performance. It's the film that turned me from a Leo Hater into a guy who actually looks forward to his upcoming movies, especially The Departed. Gangs of New York and The Aviator helped too. How did this guy get good all of a sudden?

Paff
09-28-2006, 07:15 PM
I'm surprised no one's mentioned Catch Me If You Can yet. I think that's his best performance. It's the film that turned me from a Leo Hater into a guy who actually looks forward to his upcoming movies, especially The Departed. Gangs of New York and The Aviator helped too. How did this guy get good all of a sudden?

Actually, the consensus in this thread is that he's ALWAYS been good, except in Titanic.

Hey, sometimes a director can turn a good actor into a horrible one. See George Lucas/Natalie Portman.

Deus Ex Machina
09-28-2006, 07:48 PM
Hey, sometimes a director can turn a good actor into a horrible one. See George Lucas/Natalie Portman.

I got a theory on Portman....it's not just Lucas' shoddy directing, she also can't act to nothing. It looks to me like she needs another human being or maybe a set to act to.

X-human
09-28-2006, 09:51 PM
I got a theory on Portman....it's not just Lucas' shoddy directing, she also can't act to nothing.

Or Hayden Christensen, who's just as good as a green screen of nothing.