PDA

View Full Version : Least Favorite Dario Argento Film

Hellbilly
10-20-2001, 08:30 PM
dont get me wrong, i love Argentos work. i've been a big fan of him ever since i saw Creepers/Phenomena. but still, sometimes i do got problems following some of his films...like for example Inferno. Dario once said (and i quote) that certain parts in Inferno he couldnt understand himself either, and by god, he's the one who directed it!

i dont really hate Inferno, but i think its one of his weakest films. how about you guys?

p.s. i didnt include his TV work...its films only!
http://www.darkdreams.org/asia/nude/Asia012_small.jpg

Andrew
10-21-2001, 02:49 AM
Phenomena was too unbelievable. First "weird" movie I'd ever seen though. It's still a 7 outa 10, I just like all the others a lot better.

Inferno was kinda weird. I didn't put my vote in for Inferno cuz I've only seen it once and have heard it takes multiple viewings to "get" it.

Cujo108
10-21-2001, 02:57 AM
I voted for Phantom of the Opera. It is Argento's ONLY bad film in my opinion.

Doombear
10-21-2001, 06:01 AM
I'm not a big fan of Deep Red. The Anchor Bay version with the mix of English and Italian comedy/love scenes makes it harder to enjoy. The movie is too long in my opinion. I got bored with it.

DeepDownTraumaHound
10-23-2001, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by Doombear
I'm not a big fan of Deep Red. The Anchor Bay version with the mix of English and Italian comedy/love scenes makes it harder to enjoy. The movie is too long in my opinion. I got bored with it. I agree 100% here!
This and Phantom of the Opera, for way different reasons, are my least favorite.

maybrick
10-26-2001, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by Doombear
I'm not a big fan of Deep Red. The Anchor Bay version with the mix of English and Italian comedy/love scenes makes it harder to enjoy. The movie is too long in my opinion. I got bored with it.

That bothered me at first, too. What makes it better though is if you have the DVD you can watch the whole thing in Italian with English subtitles.

Peter Vincent
10-26-2001, 06:07 PM
Deep Red was a decent flick, but I felt the director's vision (the uncut version) ran too long & the Italian speaking scenes that were originally cut off of the American version I believe were cut for a reason & should've stayed off!!!! Argento in the Deep Red documentary on the DVD said almost an hour was cut off of the American release (The Red Hatchet Murders?) and, analyzing the film, I think if they cut maybe 30 minutes it still would've had the desired effect. Oh well....

So I voted for the Deep Red uncut version!

Dark Lord
10-31-2001, 12:09 AM
I'm a huge fan of Argento, I think all of his film are in a way great...but Trauma is the weakest...

just can't believe that Argento's masterpiece Deep Red got high rating for the least favorite Poll....well to each is own

AceRimRat
10-31-2001, 12:32 AM
I voted for Inferno, but I probably should've voted for Phantom, now that I think about it. But I didn't want to vote for a film I haven't seen all the way through.

Of course, I hated it so much I turned it off...

Erg0n
10-31-2001, 03:42 AM
The Phantom Of The Opera (1998)

Why Dario?!?!? Why?!?!?

After seeing this movie I though he lost his touch, thank god for sleepless...

Anyone know when it's going to come to R1?

keith70
10-31-2001, 07:01 AM
Worst Argento??? Oh the horror.;) Sorry, but I love every film I have seen from him. Of course I haven't seen Phantom of the Opera yet. Blasphemy to me on that one.:o We're all going to Italian hell for this thread.

thrashard76
11-02-2001, 03:54 AM
I like that it was uncut but the Italian to English and back and forth got boring and hard to follow. Still a good movie in it's own.

The Chaostar
11-03-2001, 05:52 AM
Originally posted by keith70
Worst Argento??? Oh the horror.;) Sorry, but I love every film I have seen from him. Of course I haven't seen Phantom of the Opera yet. Blasphemy to me on that one.:o We're all going to Italian hell for this thread.

I have seen the Phantom ans still I agree 100% with you Keith!
:D :D :D BLASPHEMY! YOU ALL BASTARDS WILL BURN IN HELL!!!!!:D :D :D

The Chaostar
11-03-2001, 05:53 AM
I voted for Trauma by the way.

DayoftheRhodes
11-18-2001, 02:41 AM
I'm also very surprised at the many votes for Deep Red. That is his best. Anyway, i voted for Tenebre. What's the point of that movie, people come in, and get killed in lame deaths. The acting is bad, the story is all over the place. The music is under par, and Argento's great style is nowhere to be found.

moogong
11-19-2001, 11:34 PM
I had to vote for Tenebre also...not a horrible movie..but certainly not the best.

Egg_Shen
11-20-2001, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by DayoftheRhodes
I'm also very surprised at the many votes for Deep Red. That is his best. Anyway, i voted for Tenebre. What's the point of that movie, people come in, and get killed in lame deaths. The acting is bad, the story is all over the place. The music is under par, and Argento's great style is nowhere to be found.

When reading the above quote one has to wonder if it is even the movie Tenebre being critiqued. I mean come on! Perhaps it's not his best or most stylish movie but to to ridicule it with such malice is uncomprehensible. Bad acting? Is it realy that much of a difference from his other enries? A story that's all over the place? Yeah well... what the hell else is new? Argento almost always uses the narrative as a way to pull of his inventive and grizzly killings, AND THE KILLINGS ARE NOT LAME! Take, just as one example, the well staged dismemberment at the films finale. I also don't have any gripes about the music, but I will say it might take some getting used too. And so there!

Oh yeah, my vote is on Phantom. "Maybe they've always been with us...those things out there. Maybe they love it: seeing us hate each other; watching us kill each other off; feeding on our own cold fucking hearts."-Frank pontificates on the nature of the aliens.

yxz54
11-21-2001, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by Peter Vincent
Deep Red was a decent flick, but I felt the director's vision (the uncut version) ran too long & the Italian speaking scenes that were originally cut off of the American version I believe were cut for a reason & should've stayed off!!!! Argento in the Deep Red documentary on the DVD said almost an hour was cut off of the American release (The Red Hatchet Murders?) and, analyzing the film, I think if they cut maybe 30 minutes it still would've had the desired effect. Oh well....

So I voted for the Deep Red uncut version!

The world has truly gone mad.........;)

jmc
11-30-2001, 11:09 PM
Interestingly enough, I think that TENEBRE is one of Argento's favorite films that he's done. I voted for PHANTOM. Not only do I think it's Argento's worst film, I think it's one of the worst horror films in recent memory.