PDA

View Full Version : Best Shock Ending

rhett
10-20-2001, 09:51 PM
Perhaps one of the main elements that can make of break a horror film is its ending. Everyone remembers that one ending that shocked you and threw you off guard. So I thought it would be neat if we could rate a few of the classic shock endings.

I realize not everyone's pick is there, but just work with what's up there, it is never any fun when people vote Other!

So take a deep breath and vote at your own risk! :)

Hellbilly
10-20-2001, 11:54 PM
mine is the naked truth ending in Sleepaway Camp. like i said in another thread before, this ending always gives me the creeps...i also liked Carrie's ending, even though i knew what was going to happen when i saw it for the first time.

how bout the ending in City of the Living Dead ? kinda surprising and disappointing at the same time...

cool poll rhett, could have been one of mine ... ;)

Doombear
10-21-2001, 06:05 AM
The first time I saw Friday the 13th, the shock ending almost made me hit the roof!

Mark Relford
10-22-2001, 08:20 AM
Sleepaway Camp's ending takes the cake. Friday the 13th would be my second choice. Miner's sequels aped that classic ending with mixed results.

slinker
10-22-2001, 09:14 AM
Great idea for a poll, out of all of these choices i would have to choose the ending to `The Wickerman` clever stuff and pretty unnerving! but my favorite shock ending of all time is the maniac killer at the finale of `Dont Look Now` *shiver* now thats the stuff nightmares are made of :eek:

gusse
10-22-2001, 11:58 AM
Have'nt seen all of the mentioned movies, but out of the ones I have seen I'd have to go with Night Of The Living Dead! Talk about a perfect downbeat ending!! Sad, simple and nihlistic as hell - thats the stuff dreams are made of ;)

RAYMOND BUSH
10-22-2001, 12:11 PM
Wow! Happily suprised not to hear mention of SIXTH SENSE or THE OTHERS!!

Peter Vincent
10-22-2001, 04:57 PM
I voted "Night Of The Living Dead". That ending wuz more of a "pisser" than a "shocker"! After homie went through all that sh*t.......tsk, tsk, tsk!!!

rhett
10-23-2001, 06:24 AM
Wow, glad to see all the results so close!

As for my vote, I am in the same boat as Mark (as usual :) ). Sleepaway Camp rules the roost, with Friday a close second. In Friday the 13th you could kind of see it coming...with the open shot of the girl in the lake and the upbeat music, but in SC it all came out at you before you really had any time to contemplate it.

It is a tough pick though, I really like all the endings!

As far as The Sixth Sense...it was either that or COS, and since (SPOILER) COS did that ending more than 40 years before Sixth Sense, I thought it deserved the recognition. :)

calpurnia
10-27-2001, 06:22 AM
I for one will never keep the Wicker Man waiting.
A shock ending that qualifies as truly disturbing (listen to the goats literally screaming as Chris Lee and Gang merrily hum along.
The ending kept me in horrified tears, and its a good thing.
the Lim. ED has the whole shebang on the end.
I recommend it to die-hard Catholics:rolleyes:

ctyankee
11-02-2001, 05:27 AM
I give my nod to Carrie. I always was cocky about never ever jumping during a horror movie growing up. Well ... I left my guard down at the end of Carrie and ... boy did I jump ... my butt left the seat... winner!

dwatts
07-26-2003, 09:00 PM
Hm - out of those, Wicker Man.

:D

Tawny
07-26-2003, 10:25 PM
I voted Sleepaway Camp.But I always remember the ending of Friday 2 being one of the scariest scenes.When they are petting Muffin, and everything seems like its gonna be OK, and the "it's okay" music is playing when all the sudden, AAAAAAAHHHHHHHH, here comes you know who.:eek:

onebyone
07-27-2003, 03:54 AM
All these movies kick ass, but my vote is for Sleepaway Camp. I saw that when I was quite a youngster and I was totally blown away. I mean, really. :eek1:

Jamm
07-27-2003, 02:53 PM
Wow! Happily suprised not to hear mention of SIXTH SENSE or THE OTHERS!!
Could it be that the endings of these movies weren't shocking at all??

Wicker Man gets my vote too.

marioscido
07-27-2003, 06:16 PM
I would have to go with "Audition" and "Don't Look Now."

indiephantom
07-28-2003, 07:58 PM
Carrie!:fuck:

John
07-29-2003, 01:19 AM
I'm with slinker and marioscido. The best ending for me has to be Don't Look Now. Based on the list, I went with Sleepaway Camp. I LOVE showing that to newbies and waiting for the response. Classic ending.

SaviniFan
07-29-2003, 05:56 AM
I voted for Carrie. Although Sleepaway Camp's ending was quite a surprise, I consider "shocking" as meaning something that causes a sudden jump of fear.

life_o_petey
08-02-2003, 03:50 AM
Audition would do it for me.

r_burgos2003
08-04-2003, 07:06 PM
What about the 1984 horror flick: "The Prey"?
The evil monster catches the girl, at the end you see the cave and a baby crying....so she screwed the monster

RyanPC
08-05-2003, 05:26 AM
I voted for Carrie. That ending scared the FUCK out of me when I first saw it. I was crying like a baby because it was so sad and then all of a sudden-- BBBBOOOOOOOOOOOMMMM!!! I was screaming bloody murder. :nervous:

Sometimes I like to take it out and scare my unsuspecting friends who've never seen it. :D

Sleepaway Camp and Friday the 13th are a close second though.

soutine
09-25-2007, 07:31 PM
1. the house with the windows that laugh
2. sleepaway camp
3. blair witch project
4. don't look now
5. sixth sense

then
wicker man, audition, jacob's ladder, saw, the others, haute tension, descent, The House That Screamed, old boy (can i consider that as a horror?)

I would say also the great final of the thing, that is subtly disturbing

Bobbywoodhogan
09-25-2007, 09:33 PM
Friday the 13th

philxus
09-25-2007, 10:52 PM
Sleepaway Camp, i remmember thinking about that ending for weeks!!:evil:

satans-sadists
09-26-2007, 12:23 AM
From this list, The Wicker Man.

Workshed
09-26-2007, 12:29 AM
I saw Sleepaway Camp for the first-time a year or so ago, and it successfully creeped me out. Wicker Man was my second, although I suspected what would happen, the way the outcome reaches its apex usually gets to me.

othervoice1
09-26-2007, 12:33 AM
Audition and Sleepaway Camp - Sleepaway Camp was just weird and funny

booper71
09-26-2007, 12:44 AM
Yes, Sleepaway Camp, Can't look at Felissa at conventions the same way!

KGBRadioMoskow
09-26-2007, 01:01 AM
Old polls pulled off the back burner...

Of those listed for me its no contest - Night of the Living Dead. Just such a shocking downer of an ending, and no foreshadowing or other warning that it was coming. Nothing else on the list hits the same mark in terms of both surprise factor and the lingering "that was fucked up" emotion.

Also of mention:
Don't Be Afraid of the Dark - mainly because the movie just gave every vibe it would go the clichéd happy ending route, and didn't

Dead & Buried

Just about anything by Cronenberg.

And, finally, just one line....."Boooooy!"

maskull
09-26-2007, 01:46 AM
Sleepaway Camp would probably win for me if the ending hadn't been spoiled for me before I saw it so I voted for Happy Birthday To Me...because I liked that ending.

Mazurka Macabre
09-26-2007, 03:50 AM
I voted Sleepaway Camp. I saw it when I was like 11 or 12. At that point I had already come to expect the shock/twist ending, but nothing prepared me for that gender confusion!

henrychinaski
09-26-2007, 04:54 AM
Sleepaway Camp....just weird and creepy as hell.

othervoice1
09-26-2007, 04:57 AM
The thing with the first sleepaway camp is its really a pretty bad movie- the strange creepy almost funny (looking back) ending is its saving grace

Copyboy
09-26-2007, 08:38 AM
The Wicker Man - a lot of the others made me jump or gasp, but this one really bothered me for days after seeing it.