PDA

View Full Version : The Prowler

Stryffe
10-22-2001, 09:59 PM
1981’s THE PROWLER, a.k.a. ROSEMARY’S KILLER (In the U.K.) and THE GRADUATION.

Sure it wasn’t a masterpiece, such as Hitchcock’s PSYCHO or William Friedkin’s THE EXORCIST, or as artistic as Dario Argento’s SUSPERIA, but WOW! Does it deliver some great cheap chills and Awsome FX! With Special Effects by Tom Savini, how could you go wrong? It’s the only movie that I have ever seen where when a young girl has her throat graphically & “Slowly” cut open, and then drifts to the bottom of a swimming pool, ...air bubbles pulse from the wound! (Great Effect)!!! No wonder the film was banned in places! There are (DI’s) Double Impalements, with a huge Pitch Fork, A Bayonet through the top of one poor guys head, out his chin, and then he gets hung from a shower rod barely alive! BUT, who’s in the Shower? His (Pitch Forked) girlfriend!!! knives through throats, Shot Gun Wounds, the list goes on! The story itself gets a B-, but the dark feel, and the thrills get an A+. The Plot is thin, but who's really looking for much plot in a Slasher anyway. See this one for Savini's Effects!!! His Un-Cut work in Friday the 13th Part 4, come close, but not nearly as graphic. That and the victims in the Prowler do NOT die fast! Some of them are almost queesily slow. Spooky Stuff. Very Few if any - Off Screen Kills.

I first saw the film when I was in High School. I rented it from Block Buster Video, and it was the last time I have ever seen it anywhere! I have tried to purchase it from various places, but everywhere I go, I’m told the film is “Out Of Print” Bummer… If you want to catch a great (Exploitation Like) Slasher, catch this one if you can!!! AND IF YOU KNOW WHERE I CAN GET A COPY, LET ME KNOW!!!

Stryffe

slinker
10-23-2001, 09:31 AM
Id love to get this movie too, ive never seen it, but have heard many good things about the FX work and gory mayhem...sounds like one for my lovely collection of non-sadistic films..hehe :cool:
they showed it here uncut on Bravo TV station (the UK) by mistake and everyone thought it was gonna be the cut version, boy why didnt i tape that *sigh* i dont think its actually banned here in the UK though i just think it hasnt been submitted for certification...anyway a long overdue DVD release me thinks :D

Stryffe
10-23-2001, 05:09 PM
Thanks Slinker...

I'd Love to see this one on DVD!!! Maybe we can drum up a petition to someone. hehe

Stryffe

AceRimRat
10-24-2001, 01:12 AM
I'm a big fan of the film; apparently any DVD release is in some kind of rights hell or something.

I got a used VHS off eBay for pretty cheap, in the meantime. One of those mom-and-pop-video-store-going-out-of-business sales or something.

Start that petition! I'll sign!

rhett
10-27-2001, 08:13 PM
I love The Prowler too, it was a great showcase for Savini's wicked gore effects. I also commend Zito on the production values, the film really does look like it took place in the 50's (or was it earlier?) and gives it a level of gloss over all those knee-highs and neons seen in most 80's flicks. Yeah it is a shame the rights are in limbo for this movie (and The Hills Have Eyes too!). These are some great horror flicks! Someone start a petition so we can get this DVD off the ground!

Stryffe
10-30-2001, 05:56 PM
If anyone has any info regarding this flick I'd love to know. I've managed to find a couple of sites with reviews of the film, and a few On-Line auctions, but not much really. I'd appreciate any information anyone may find. Links, Locations, Availability, maybe even a petition of sorts to get this movie on DVD? If you have never had the guilty pleasure of seeing this film, than I hope this stirs your curiosity enough to go hunting!!! I hope you find something you like! Let me know what you guys find out!

Stryffe

ephilman
10-30-2001, 10:01 PM
After my crappy Memorex copy shredded, I got a tape from here: http://www.revok.com/film/