PDA

View Full Version : From Beyond HK DVD Release

napalm68
01-14-2001, 10:58 PM
I was just digging about on the
<a href="http://www.pokerindustries.com/acatalog/Online_Catalog_Miscellaneous_DVD_77.html">Poker Industries</a> site, and noticed they have a DVD of Lovecrafts From Beyond for sale - only US$16, too. English audio with chinese subtitles (not sure if they are removable though).

Anyone had any experience with Hong Kong pressings of horror films? Are they cut to bits?

Vdlman
01-16-2001, 09:16 PM
Ash, if you liked Re-Animator then you should enjoy From Beyond.

Mark Relford
01-16-2001, 10:07 PM
Ash, it's a good flick. Definitely check it out!
napalm68, here's a review for the Ocean Shores disc: http://www.mondo-digital.com/frombeyond.html

------------------
"Have you ever had an Egyptian feast?"

"They're back from the grave and ready to party!"

mutleyhyde
01-17-2001, 01:11 AM
Well, if they ever send me the damned thing, I'll let you know what I think. I'm waiting on an eBay seller. My check cleared last friday and I still haven't got the thing yet. Urghhh!

------------------
"When I go to confession, I don't offer God small sins - petty squables, jealousies - I offer him sins worth forgiving!"

May the Hammer eternally bleed!
M. Hyde

roger_d
01-17-2001, 06:28 AM
I've been waiting for this on DVD for such a long time. Any word on when the REGION 1 will come out.

Ash
01-17-2001, 06:52 AM
Is the movie pretty good?

------------------
Ash - webmaster@deadites.net
Deadites Online - www.deadites.net (http://www.deadites.net)

mutleyhyde
01-18-2001, 06:39 AM
Finally! Got home tonight and there it was. Gave it a watch, and it was fine. Yes, the chinese subtitles are large (they ARE NOT removable), but I was able to ignore them... mostly. It does have the Vestron Video intro logos though, so we now know it's definitely a direct port. Even so, the print was very stable, with just a hint of grain throughout. The colors are rather light, but again, it wasn't remastered so I won't kick it too hard there. The print is presented slightly off-center, the credits running a little to the right. As for the letterboxing, I don't know why they bothered. There's hardly enough "dead screen" to matter. However, I wonder about the director's original intent for the aspect ratio, as Dr. Pretorius' neck is clearly visible in most every shot when it's supposed to be just his head bobbing around from the "giraffe" neck. Final word; I'm glad I got it since I don't have a video copy. Also, the video copies still out there probably look a lot worse. I was fine with the print and the sound, it's just those blasted sub-titles that got me! Even though I could ignore them, it's a pain to have to do so. So, if you have a good video of it, you're probably better off not getting the dvd. But if you don't, pick this one up. Just try not to pay more than 15-20 on it. And, if we do get word on a domestic release, definitely wait for that one, unless of course, like me, you just gotta have it now.

Oh, and Ash... check it out man. It's very cool!

------------------
"When I go to confession, I don't offer God small sins - petty squables, jealousies - I offer him sins worth forgiving!"

May the Hammer eternally bleed!
M. Hyde