PDA

View Full Version : Do You Like Hitchcock?

rhett
10-22-2006, 06:54 PM
Well, do you?

Crystal Plumage
10-22-2006, 07:09 PM
Haven't seen that much of his films.Not planning to either.
I voted "Argento is better" but ofcourse you can't compare the two.
In fact I think Hitchcock was more groundbreaking.
I just "Piace Argento" better :)

maybrick
10-22-2006, 07:12 PM
I'm not a huge "gotta buy everything by him" kind of fan, but I haven't seen anything he's made that I didn't enjoy. The only discs that I own which are Hitchcock related is ALFRED HITCHCOCK PRESENTS Season 1.

onebyone
10-22-2006, 07:12 PM
I went with "Yes. He's the true Master of Suspense." because he is. I enjoy how he tells a complete story and manages to create horror and suspense with very small and subtle decisions.

Luna
10-22-2006, 07:13 PM
Same. I went with "true master" because much like Maybrick said, there isn't a single movie of his I've seen that I haven't liked or loved.

maskull
10-22-2006, 07:38 PM
I honestly haven't seen too many by him, but what I've seen I've rather enjoyed. I keep meaning to take the time and acquaint myself with his work a little better but I usually notice something shiny on the ground and forget all else.

Noto
10-22-2006, 09:30 PM
I'm a huge fan of Argento, and even I can't imagine how anyone would believe Hitchcock isn't a much more impressive filmmaker.

The duds that Hitchcock made are better than Argento's lesser films and Argento's best films don't even come close to the best Hitchcock.

KamuiX
10-22-2006, 10:33 PM
He's one of the greatest of all time...there's not even an inch of doubt about it.

_pi_
10-22-2006, 10:50 PM
I may have more love for Argento, but I can't honestly say that Argento is better. In my mind, there are very few movies that rival Vertigo in terms of damn near all things cinematic. It might well be my ultimate favorite film of all time (although I can't be sure ... that title changes like the wind over here ...)

They are both masters of suspense, though. So I went with "yeah, he's good". Meaning "yeah, he's a master and a genius." True master? If you'd just left out that "true" ...

The Chaostar
10-22-2006, 10:51 PM
What onebyone said.

Luna
10-22-2006, 11:01 PM
I'd like to hear the opinions of those who chose "average" and "vastly overrated".

satans-sadists
10-23-2006, 05:58 PM
Definitely Hitchcock, whose timeless films still hold up remarkably today. I think some of his finest films are North by Northwest, Vertigo, Rear Window, and Psycho to name just a few. Argento is one of my favorite directors, but his brilliant work would not be the same if it were not for Hitchcock.

dwatts
10-23-2006, 06:10 PM
I don't think Argento is anywhere near Hitchcock.

I have grown a littlw eary of some Hitchcock films though. Rear Window seemed so great ten years ago or so, but I can barely get through it today. I sold on my Psycho DVD because it just left me cold - as iconic as that shower scene is.

On the other hand, I bought and watched Strangers on a Train and adored it. Then I got his silent version of The Lodger and was blown away. I think I have more time for his older work, his black and white material, than I do his later pieces.

Argento is great of course, but he's not really in the same league.

DeathDealer
10-23-2006, 08:36 PM
Hitchcock was great. He started everything.

But Argento took it to new heights, and to a level that Hitchcock would never be able to.

RyanPC
10-23-2006, 09:19 PM
I really like most of the Hitchcock I've seen, but in all honesty it's easier for me to sit down and watch an Argento flick. That doesn't necessarily mean that I think he's better (he's not), but Argento's films are much more entertaining to me. The same goes for that other Hitchcock disciple, Brian De Palma.

Jimbo
10-23-2006, 10:23 PM
Hitchcock is the man period.Who can watch Shadow of a Doubt-North by Northwest-Strangers on a Train or the Birds for that matter and not feel suspense?He is a true pioneer of psychological thrillers.His direction and attention to detail are far above even some of the best that are in business today.Even his dark humor fare such as Trouble with Harry or Family Plot are outstanding films........I for one can get past the usual run of the mill such as Psycho and Vertigo that most base their opinion on.Any fan of film deserves to dig deep into his vaults and see for themselves what they have been missing. Go Hitch ;)

Myron Breck
10-25-2006, 04:29 PM
Love me some Hitch. But I must say that I don't enjoy the technicolor, star-powered films near as much as the earlier and later films. For instance, during his popular hey-day where he had either Cary Grant or Jimmy Stewart as his star, I find the films tedious to sit through. If those are the only ones you've seen, do yourself a huge favor and rent the titles you rarely (if ever) see aired on TV.

And I agree with Luna: Can we please hear from the folks who don't love Hitch? I'd be more interested in reading their reasons for not liking him as much as the rest of us. :)

Paff
10-25-2006, 05:13 PM
Any fan of film deserves to dig deep into his vaults and see for themselves what they have been missing. Go Hitch ;)

Agree here. I much prefer "lesser" Hitch films like Saboteur and Lifeboat to Vertigo and Psycho. In fact, Vertigo rather annoys me.

Any fan of North by Northwest should really check out Saboteur. Similar themed film, only in reverse (this one starts in California and moves to New York). It also ends on a national monument like NxNW.

sacateca
10-26-2006, 12:52 PM
There's not a single movie of his that i've seen and liked. Couldn't care less if he was groundbreaking or not.

MarkWarner
10-27-2006, 03:27 AM
Yes. He's the true Master of Suspense.

Jimbo
10-27-2006, 03:59 PM
There's not a single movie of his that i've seen and liked. Couldn't care less if he was groundbreaking or not.

And what have you seen?

The Chaostar
10-28-2006, 01:13 AM
And when you answer that, please return to the Aenigma thread.

kakayospectre
10-28-2006, 11:06 AM
hitchcock was first, then dario came after.

they are both good however.

zuvembie
10-29-2006, 01:08 AM
I had to go with "Yeah, he's good". Hitchcock made some of my favorite films ("Strangers on a Train", "Psycho", "Shadow of a Doubt", "Frenzy" and "North by Northwest"), but he did make quite a few mediocre films ("Topaz", "Marnie", "Family Plot"). When he was on his game though, he was unbeatable.

When it comes to Hitchcock and Argento, I feel like Hitchcock is the better director. Still...I do tend to watch "Suspiria" at least once a year, and Argento does have a way with visceral imagery. Perhaps it's more of an apples and oranges situation, and I have to take into account that Argento is still directing films, so opinions could change.

Fumi
10-30-2006, 04:15 PM
Never got into Hitchcock at all. I find his movies boring and the suspense elements involved to be simplistic, vastly overworked, and uninteresting.