PDA

View Full Version : Prom Night

moogong
10-27-2001, 01:51 AM
I just watched an old favorite of mine...Prom Night. This is an early 80's classic for those who have never seen it. It dawned on me as I watched it.....this is the original Scream and I Know What You Did Last Summer. Anybody agree with me on this?

rhett
10-27-2001, 07:07 PM
I don't really know hot it applies to Scream, but it is definitely draws parallels to IKWYDLS. Prom Night is probably one of my favorite slasher films along with My Bloody Valentine, BC, Maniac, Terror Train, and of course the Friday and Halloween films. It is very underrated in my opinion, and I don't know why Jamie Lee curses this movie, it is a whole lot of fun.

Although to many the plot seems pretty cliche, I enjoyed it, and it kept things moving and exciting with some good gore scenes, well done and creeoy phone calls, and of course a disco scene that could rival Saturday Night Fever! :) I also really liked watching Leslie Nielsen try and play it serious.

Dvdfile had reported that Anchor Bay was in the process of developing an SE for this movie, but that was denied not once, but twice when I asked the AB rep at the HTF chat. I find it odd though, that they would put Prom Night out of print if they weren't going to rerelease it, so there is definitely hope!

Great film though, glad to see some people like it!

Hellbilly
10-28-2001, 12:38 AM
it's been a while, so forgive me for asking. i remember this scene when the kids chased that other kid, who then fell out of this old building?. did this happen right at the begining of the movie or was it just a "flashback" scene somewhere in the middle?

moogong
10-28-2001, 02:34 AM
hellbilly...that scene was at the beginning.

I love the disco scene! You can tell when this movie was made.
The sequel got worse and worse.....I guess thats the curse of the slasher flick.

rhett
10-30-2001, 02:31 AM
I liked the sequels, but they weren't as good as the original (suprise). The ending of Part 2 was a little out there, but I thought it was cool, but all those horse flashback scenes were a little bizarre. Part 3 had some good gore and cool death scenes, and some nice bits of comedy to boot. Part 4 was a little different that the other three films, but was still a good film.

Someone needs to go out and release this Canadian films on DVD!

Hellbilly
10-30-2001, 04:24 AM
i own part 3 The Last Kiss on video. it got, like you pointed out rhett, cool effects (that ice cream cone scene is fab!). but i liked Hello Mary Lou much better. part 4 had a few interesting moments, though but its my least favorite.