PDA

View Full Version : Lost Highway

Hellbilly
10-28-2001, 01:49 AM
i dont know if this has been discussed before, but is it just my LD of Lost Highway that looks terrible? i know the picture is way too dark, but i also got these tiny white spots appearing through the whole movie. it makes it almost impossible to watch. there also seems to be a few problems with the sound (cracking noise). anyone?

Paff
10-28-2001, 03:17 AM
Sounds like Laser Rot to me.

Does the speckling appear just on the picture, or even in the letterboxed areas? If it's on the entire screen (including the black bars), then it's most likely Laser Rot.

Hellbilly
10-28-2001, 03:25 AM
the speckling appears in the picture and the black bars. does this mean my Lost Highway LD is now totally useless? i got 70 LD and watch at least 5 films per month, and never have i noticed anything like this before on any other LD...

MISFITZ
10-29-2001, 06:45 PM
It DOES suck. My disc have been pretty good so far, though since watching DVD I notice the darks on some of my LDs seem to not be as dark or true as I once remembered.

MY LD of Lost HIghway is great. But as you seem to already be swallowing, it soundz like ROtt. Some disc I bought off Columbia House LASER DISC club have been crappin' out on me. My "THE FUGITIVE" LD is shitty!! :(

Paff
10-29-2001, 08:22 PM
It's not where you buy from, but where the discs are pressed that make them candidates for rot (hey, just like the AB Opera fiasco!).

I've found the worst companies for rot are Columbia/Tri-Star, Sony/Polygram, and Warner.

Some of the more notorious rot discs I've dealt with are The Usual Suspects, The Shawshank Redemption, Empire Records, and The Craft.
The Fugitive was a Warner disc, like Empire Records and True Romance.
I think Lost Highway was Polygram, like The Usual Suspects (of which I've bought THREE times!)

And actually, the better your player, the MORE likely you'll see rot! When I went from my 406 to a 704, a bunch of discs I used to like became completely unwatchable. Of course, the 704 makes the discs that aren't rotted look almost as good as DVDs, so it's a fair trade-off

killit
11-03-2001, 07:32 AM
In the case of the empire records ld, I think we can safely classify that one as a suicide.

Hellbilly
11-03-2001, 08:48 AM
I got an Pioneer CLD-D500 Player. Never had a problem with THE CRAFT LD, though. Just a few minor soundproblems at the beginning of side 2.

moogong
11-08-2001, 01:29 AM
that sucks cause Lost Highway was a pretty cool flick....

I can hear Queen singing "Another One Bites the Dust" now....

Rainbowthief
11-19-2001, 10:25 AM
Polygram is awful. My Lost Highway and Fargo laserdiscs both have laser rot. LH is still very watchable, as only one of the two discs has rot, but Fargo is garbage. Thank goodness it's on DVD too, so I was able to replace it. I can't wait to do the same with LH.

Shannafey
11-19-2001, 03:40 PM
I have never owned a laser disc player, so obviously laser rot isn't important to me, but I was wondering about the longetivity of DVDs. They are only a few years old and everything is speculation. They aren't made the same way as laser, but I bet problems will show up in time. I really hope this is not the case. I look at DVDs as a permanent solution. I know better formats will come out, but you would need great reasons to switch to it. DVD is like a cure all format. The quality is excellent, especially when mastered from the best source material, and the you don't have the wear and tear problems of VHS tape. As far as laserdiscs, the advantage of DVD is not having to flip discs and of course the much more storable size. I want to think the DVDs are "forever". I am also transferring old movies and TV shows that I don't think have a chance in hell of coming to DVD, over to VCD so they, too will be in a digital format. I don't want to put in a movie ten years from now, and find that it doesn't play anymore. I have this with VHS tapes. As I said, I never got into lasers, but I thought they were more permanent too. Just some ponderings, I hope for the best with this format.

Paff
11-19-2001, 08:11 PM
Yes, we'd all like to believe that DVD is indestructible, and it is the last home video format we'll ever need...

but the answer to both questions is "no"

First of all, DVDs definitely can degrade. Look how many peoples' copies of Opera played fine, then a week later were completely dead. Now, that's an extreme example, but it sure is living proof that something could happen to a DVD even while it sits in it's protective case.

And there's no way DVD will be the final solution of home video. Remember, 5 years ago Laserdisc was the Grand Poobah of home video. Now it's a memory. Admittedly, LD had nowhere near the market penetration that DVD currently has, but still...
What worries me is HDTV. If you've ever seen an HDTV demo, you can tell it looks WAY more natural than DVD. It's no big deal now, 'cause so few shows are broadcast in true HDTV. But once people notice that The King of Queens looks a lot better than their DVDs, do you think they won't want a format for movies that takes advantage of HD? The only thing we can hope for is that whatever new format we get will be backwards compatible. But even then, a few years down the road they'll throw that out the window too. I'm sure there will eventually be a player that won't handle the "ancient" DVDs we currently enjoy.

Look at my review for A Better Place. That DVD had features that were incompatible with Toshiba players. Toshiba players are the NUMBER TWO sellers in the US (behind Sony). If studios NOW are making things that are incompatible with current hardware, what makes you think it won't happen when there's "two" different DVD formats...?

Everything we're currently buying is temporary. There's a better version coming soon. And an even better version will supplant that as well....
Have a nice day...