PDA

View Full Version : My 704 is back!

Paff
02-14-2007, 06:48 PM
Brought my aging Pioneer CLD-D704 to Ross, a Laserdisc aficianado. It was making some squeaks and squeals, discs were slipping, etc.

Well, I'm happy to say he cleaned it all up, greased and oiled everything, replaced a belt, and she's as good as new. The motor is strong, and should last several more years. Tested 'er out with the DTS version of Boogie Nights. A Laserdisc-only marathon is on tap for the weekend.

Still gonna work on finding a back-up player of similar quality.

welb25
02-14-2007, 07:00 PM
Great news Paff. Recently discs have been slipping in my 79 but after cleaning the spindle it's as good as new.

Paff
02-14-2007, 07:24 PM
Yeah, of course it would happen right after I wrote Dave a check for a chunk of his LD collection.

I thought (for about 2 seconds) whether or not I should retire LD. There was no way. For one thing, I bought a LOT of my lasers when stores phased 'em out. Lot of 4 for $10 sales, or the 99 cent sales at Big Emmas. Then there's the SIXTEEN Kurosawa films I have on LD. How much do you think THAT would cost to replace on DVD??? And the DTS discs?

Nope, LD will still be a viable format at CinemaPaff for a while.

wago70
02-14-2007, 09:42 PM
That's great you had a source to fix that hummer up! If mine were to go, that would be it, I'm sure.

ekent
02-14-2007, 09:46 PM
Congrats on the successfull repair.

I thought I'd let you know that I picked up a DDP-1 the other day, thanks to your wise suggestion. I have yet to hook it up yet, but I got my Episode 1 laser ready to rock :)

Sam
02-14-2007, 09:58 PM
Awesome. I need to do the same with my players. I probably only watch 2-3 LDs a month now but it's fun nostalgia to spin those big discs. A good bit of my collection's still not on DVD, too, which makes it all the more worth while.

Paff
02-14-2007, 10:06 PM
I thought I'd let you know that I picked up a DDP-1 the other day, thanks to your wise suggestion. I have yet to hook it up yet, but I got my Episode 1 laser ready to rock :)

Yeah, the DDP-1 is a nice piece of work. A little bit of a pain to adjust the speaker levels, since there's no remote, but once you get it dialed in, you really don't need to mess with it.

If it had a remote or auto-sensing, I would probably still use it to decode DVD Dolby Digital too. I really love that it actually displays the details of the Dolby Digital signal (like, how many front and rear speakers are being used...Dolby 2.0 will show a 2/0 display, 5.1 will show 3/2, etc). But since my new receiver does DD, it was easier to just plug the DVD directly in to the receiver, and use the DDP-1 solely for Lasers.

Of course, I have at least 50-60 AC-3 lasers, so it's an important component. You only have a few, so it's not as necessary.