PDA

View Full Version : Which cult DVD label would you be saddest to see go?

rhett
03-06-2007, 12:11 AM
So it appears the DVD market has reached its saturation point, and now the indies are taking the brunt of the glut. With financial concerns prevading over most of the small labels these days, there's a fear that some of them may not be around much longer. If one of these companies were to go, which would you be saddest to bid farewell?

maybrick
03-06-2007, 12:13 AM
SYNAPSE, without question. I'm starting to fall in love with Dark Sky though. It would be a shame if they disappeared almost before they began.

I see Troma on the list. That's one company that I've been hoping beyond hope to see die for ages now, but I'll never be THAT lucky. I absolutely LOATHE them.

Franco
03-06-2007, 12:22 AM
Blue Underground

onebyone
03-06-2007, 12:47 AM
SYNAPSE, without question. I'm starting to fall in love with Dark Sky though. It would be a shame if they disappeared almost before they began.

I see Troma on the list. That's one company that I've been hoping beyond hope to see die for ages now, but I'll never be THAT lucky. I absolutely LOATHE them.

What he said.

I would also miss the promise of Panik House if they bit the dust.

maybrick
03-06-2007, 12:55 AM
Also, as far as I'm concerned, Anchor Bay stopped being relevant years ago.

satans-sadists
03-06-2007, 12:56 AM
Blue Underground above all. Would really be sad about Dark Sky & No Shame. Have only bought two Severin releases, but highly impressed with their quality! Wouldn't want them or any of the others for that matter to bid farewell.

satans-sadists
03-06-2007, 12:57 AM

Agreed.

Cujo108
03-06-2007, 01:01 AM
Synapse

DeathDealer
03-06-2007, 01:20 AM
Blue Underground

dwatts
03-06-2007, 01:24 AM

I wouldn't go as far back as "years", but BU have been irrelevant for a long time too. They're so finished, they're doing nothing at all. It's not a matter of "if", it's already done, imo.

I don't want any of the companies to go.

rhett
03-06-2007, 01:30 AM
I don't really know why this is the prevading thought from most cult fans these days. Sure, they don't release the must-have product they did years ago, but who does these days, now that most of the big titles have already been re-released ample times? They still offer a larger amount of horror titles than basically any other indie label, and for every shitty DTV movie they release, there is an 80s gem like SUPERSTITION and THE SEDUCTION. Their Masters of Horror discs have been good and consistent, and they still offer up some prime cult box sets, like the recent Wim Wenders volume, and the upcoming Jorodowsky and Bava. Blue Underground has...well, uh, perhaps a website update coming in the future?

spawningblue
03-06-2007, 01:49 AM
I don't really know why this is the prevading thought from most cult fans these days. Sure, they don't release the must-have product they did years ago, but who does these days, now that most of the big titles have already been re-released ample times? They still offer a larger amount of horror titles than basically any other indie label, and for every shitty DTV movie they release, there is an 80s gem like SUPERSTITION and THE SEDUCTION. Their Masters of Horror discs have been good and consistent, and they still offer up some prime cult box sets, like the recent Wim Wenders volume, and the upcoming Jorodowsky and Bava. Blue Underground has...well, uh, perhaps a website update coming in the future?

Yeah I totally agree. Anchor Bay gets ripped on because they don't put out as much as they used to. That's becasue they arleady released soo much! And they still are putting out a reasonable amount. I think if everyone went through their DVD collections, most of their horror titles would be Anchor Bay titles.

And all I hear about is complaints that they have been reissuing titles. What's wrong with that!? It lets the people who didn't get them the first time (either because they didn't know about it at the time, or didn't have the money) a chance to pick them up at a decent price, instead of buying it off of ebay for ridiculous amounts of money. I'd rather buy it off Anchor Bay for $10 then give some greedy guy $80. Its not like they are trickign you into buying it again. They are just giving people a chance who missed out the first time.

Coverdale
03-06-2007, 02:42 AM
I picked Blue Underground. I'd hate to see Shriek Show go, too.

Luna
03-06-2007, 02:48 AM

I see Troma on the list. That's one company that I've been hoping beyond hope to see die for ages now, but I'll never be THAT lucky. I absolutely LOATHE them.Thirded.

Spit
03-06-2007, 03:30 AM
There was a time when I would have said Anchor Bay. But I have to go with Blue Underground....though I do enjoy a Troma film now an again.

maybrick
03-06-2007, 03:35 AM
I think if everyone went through their DVD collections, most of their horror titles would be Anchor Bay titles.

That's true, but only if you take into account all the DVDs I bought prior to 2004. I can count on one hand how many of their cult titles I've bought since they remastered Dawn of the Dead: Cemetery Man, Race With The Devil, The Anniversary, and Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry. That's a far cry from what they were in the days before they were bought out by Starz Home Entertainment and when they were truly "independent". AB UK has a lot more going for it, but simply judging from the US branch virtually everything they've released since then has been reissues and/or remasters of older movies from their (and at times other's) catalogues, ports from the UK, or new DTV garbage and Masters of Horror (all of which are pretty geared towards the mainstream). There's nothing inherently wrong with that. They have to do what they do to stay in business, but it seriously compromises their reputation and legitimacy in the cult cinema game.

Korngold
03-06-2007, 03:47 AM
I look over my collection and there is one company that's really apparent: Anchor Bay. I agree with Rhett's position and to see AB leave the market would be a blow for a once great horror dvd company.

rxfiend
03-06-2007, 03:52 AM
shouldn't it say "Starz" instead of AB as most of their recent releases barely mentions "Anchor Bay".

I'd hate to see Shriek Show go. As much shit as some people give them, they put out a lot of hard to find stuff and their 3 packs are a great deal.

and I agree that Troma should go. The WORST dvd company (their movies aren't that great either) ever, and that's including PD companies!

maybrick
03-06-2007, 04:06 AM
I look over my collection and there is one company that's really apparent: Anchor Bay. I agree with Rhett's position and to see AB leave the market would be a blow for a once great horror dvd company.

Strange. When I look at your DVD collection I only see one DVD listed, and it ain't an AB disc either! :lol:

rhett
03-06-2007, 04:11 AM
Strange. When I look at your DVD collection I only see one DVD listed, and it ain't an AB disc either! :lol:
13 Erotic Ghosts happens to be a classic.

rxfiend
03-06-2007, 04:22 AM
um, it shows a Smashing Pumpkins dvd on his list....

rhett
03-06-2007, 04:31 AM
um, it shows a Smashing Pumpkins dvd on his list....
Shit, I clicked on yours by mistake. That title is so awesome...are there actually thirteen different erotic ghosts in that movie?

rxfiend
03-06-2007, 04:33 AM
lol, i don't even remember. it's been awhile since i watched it.

eric_angelus
03-06-2007, 05:08 AM
All of them...but I voted for anchor bay simply because they were one of the first...and I think a larger part of my collection comes from them than from anyone else.

Rockmjd
03-06-2007, 05:09 AM
I'd hate to see any of them go, even the much maligned Code Red. :lol:

MorallySound
03-06-2007, 05:39 AM

I don't get the hate for Troma. They are TRULY independent. They are the only company making movies for the art, not the money. Sure their transfers are shitty, sure their DVDs aren't truly digitally mastered, but thats because they do not have the money to spend on pristine prints, etc. They truly sacrifice themselves for the good of the artform, and if to put something out it requires being crafty, at least they put it out.

Gore Lunatic
03-06-2007, 05:53 AM
I'd hate to see any of them go but if it had to be one, it would be Blue Underground. I have almost every one of their DVDs.

dwatts
03-06-2007, 06:41 AM
--I don't get the hate for Troma. They are TRULY independent. They are the only company making movies for the art, not the money.--

Yes, truly independent, but art? Only in the broadest broadest sense. I might actually throw a party if Troma ever went down the tubes. They've got to be the most annoying DVD company out there - Brentwood are more important to the genre.

Katatonia
03-06-2007, 06:58 AM
I wouldn't want any of them to go away, but for me... Anchor Bay and BU would be the saddest ones.

ThievingWinona
03-06-2007, 07:01 AM
I gotta throw some love to Troma.

If your only criteria is talking about the quality of dvd releases, then yeah, Troma may not rate that high (although I think their own releases have incredible discs. I love those documentaries).

But Troma has done so much, and continues to do much, to help broaden and expand the "independent scene". Ask Trey Parker or Matt Stone if Troma should go "down the tubes". Lloyd Kaufman's shtick may get really annoying at times, but the guy has written books to help independent filmmakers, started Tromadance to expose indie filmmakers, Troma has allowed new and unique talent to get their careers started, and they have a true dedication to helping Independent cinema.

"Art" is a subjective word and Troma's "art" may not be for everyone, but it is art. They have been playing by their own rules for thirty years, making the movies they want to make, throwing whatever they can scrounge up in terms of cash for their "big releases" and to me, that means a lot. Do most of their dvd's suck ass? Of course they do. The transfers are awful and there are rarely any extras on the stuff they pick up for distribution, but you know what? I'm happy to have a copy of Curse of the Cannibal Confederates sitting on my shelf, even if the transfer is abysmal. Just the fact that they make these movies available is important to me.

I like Trey Parker's story about Cannibal The Musical. They met with Lloyd Kaufman who flat out said "We can't give you any money for your movie". They asked him why they should let him distribute it and Kaufman said: "Well, I just think Cannibal is a really great movie and people should see it. I mean, you guys made it so people would see it, right?"

Seeing these other companies go would be no big shame in my opinion. Would it suck to see Blue Underground or Synapse go down in flames? Yes, undoubtedly.

But I have no doubt either that other independent companies would be there to pick up the rights to these obscure films and give them good releases. Not every single indie is going to bite the dust, only the ones that can't survive for whatever reason.

Troma dying would be an incredible loss, not only from a fan standpoint, but for independent cinema in general. Troma's merit goes beyond simple dvd releases, they are kind of a big middle finger to the "establishment" and everyone loses if something like that goes away, regardless of your personal feelings of the quality of their films.

dwatts
03-06-2007, 07:13 AM
--Lloyd Kaufman's shtick may get really annoying at times--

At times?!?!

--But I have no doubt either that other independent companies would be there to pick up the rights to these obscure films and give them good releases.--

Well, as long it's not Troma, maybe..... nah.

Erick H.
03-06-2007, 07:27 AM
BLUE UNDERGROUND of the labels that have been around for a while.Of the newer outfits I've been quite happy with Dark Sky.Anchor Bay certainly threw down the gauntlet in the early days of DVD,they've been hurt lately because so many companies decided to pick it up.

old-boo-radley
03-06-2007, 10:12 AM
At this point, there's so few movies coming out that interest me. Everything has been said and done. I will admit I have a soft spot for AB, they introduced me to everything that is holy in the world of horror. But since they haven't been releasing as much lately, it'd be less hard to see them go. Since the actual movie quality has dropped lately (hey, nothing can be done about this, only so many classics to go around), it'd be less hard to see anyone go, really. Sure, it sucks, but the well is drying up.

I've got precisely 721 horror flicks, there's just not many more out there that I can buy. I used to go out and buy any dumbass flick, but now I sit back and think... is it truly worth $10 for Axe? $17 for Rock n' Roll Nightmare (I'm in Canada, so it's actually more, significantly)? Especially since most stuff I buy are blind buys and I don't know if I'll even like them. Sure, there's always going to be movies that haven't been released that interest me, but in the long run, I've got the greats and everything else is truly just filler.

I haven't bought many horror DVDs in the last year (maybe... 30, which is a far cry from the 200+ every other year) and finally I have enough that I want to make a large DDD order if they have another sale. I truly don't want anyone to go under, I want these movies to come out for others. But me, personally, I have overspent on DVDs too many times and I have learned from my mistakes. It's not so much that I want to be a dick here, it's just I realize my collection is near completion, so I personally am losing interest in who stays and who goes. Generally the companies haven't thought twice to leave horror fans when they had the oppurtunity to grow, so I'm not gonna get too bummed out about it.

And, for the record, Brentwood kicks ass!

rxfiend
03-06-2007, 11:23 AM
oddly enough, Brentwood aka BCI has put out quite a bit of good stuff as of late. who'd think a PD company with vhs quality transfers would actually go legit and release some worthwhile stuff!!?!

evildeadfan123
03-06-2007, 12:08 PM
Anchor Bay, Blue Underground, and Shreik Show. Most of my collection of DVDs are from Anchor Bay. Synapse would be another one.

I actually would hate to see all of them go. All of the Indies have put out at least one release that I own a copy of, and there are still plenty of Cult and Older Horror films not yet released on DVD.

maybrick
03-06-2007, 12:19 PM
I've never had a problem with Troma producing their own movies or release the work of modern filmmakers, but when they give the "Troma" treatment to older movies that they had no part in such as Curse of the Cannibal Confederates, The Children, Frightmare, or what have you, and use subpar masters to boot, it's disrespectful. And I don't buy for a second that Kaufman has no money. He's simply cheap.

zompirejoe
03-06-2007, 02:36 PM
Blue Underground, with Synapse and Anchor Bay close behind

DrHerbertWest
03-06-2007, 02:49 PM
Blue Underground. They have put out so many good blind buys for me that it would crush me to see them leave.

Fulcilives2004
03-06-2007, 03:11 PM
Subversive, Synapse, Shriekshow, Troma all need to stick around. I don't see why everyone seems to hate Troma so much. Yeah, they have puit out some awful film, but for every Girl School Screamers there is a Terror Firmer or Toxic Avenger 4. Also, thet released Nightbeast, which rules!

Chad
03-06-2007, 08:28 PM
Holy hell, that's a really tough decision to have to make! Even though I went with BU I've got DVD's from practically every one of those labels. Definitely have more AB and BU titles altogether, but I've really been digging the recent NoShame and Subversive releases lately.

BTW, why isn't Mondo Macabro or CasaNegra on the list?! :eek:

DVD Connoisseur
03-06-2007, 09:29 PM
Synapse but there are more than a few companies I'd hate to see go under on that list... :(

Korngold
03-06-2007, 10:08 PM

Then you obiviously didn't click on my horror subsection at the top of the list.
Here's a direct link...

http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&sub=My%20Horror&id=corbo

maybrick
03-06-2007, 11:02 PM
Then you obiviously didn't click on my horror subsection at the top of the list.
Here's a direct link...

http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&sub=My%20Horror&id=corbo

Maybe you should have that address in your sig rather than the other one then! :p

Korngold
03-06-2007, 11:32 PM
Maybe you should have that address in your sig rather than the other one then! :p

soooo lazy... stop eating cheetos and do some web exercise. :p

thrashard76
03-06-2007, 11:39 PM
Synapse

Dusk
03-06-2007, 11:42 PM
As a US slasher fan, I'd be beyond saddened to see Code Red go down.

But I'd jump up and down if Troma just... went away. Truly.

indiephantom
03-07-2007, 01:38 AM

Well said, and I snagged me a copy of THE SEDUCTION the moment it was released. It was a great treatment.

I'd be saddest to see AB go, no doubt about it. All of their titles hold a very special place in my collection and they've released the best horror titles from the 80s. Not to mention stellar Eruo-horror.

I love BU, Dark Sky, and Synapse...but they're in second place.

Hellbilly
03-07-2007, 03:33 AM
AB. I have lots of their releases and nearly enjoy all of them.

MorallySound
03-07-2007, 05:34 AM
I gotta throw some love to Troma.

If your only criteria is talking about the quality of dvd releases, then yeah, Troma may not rate that high (although I think their own releases have incredible discs. I love those documentaries).

But Troma has done so much, and continues to do much, to help broaden and expand the "independent scene". Ask Trey Parker or Matt Stone if Troma should go "down the tubes". Lloyd Kaufman's shtick may get really annoying at times, but the guy has written books to help independent filmmakers, started Tromadance to expose indie filmmakers, Troma has allowed new and unique talent to get their careers started, and they have a true dedication to helping Independent cinema.

"Art" is a subjective word and Troma's "art" may not be for everyone, but it is art. They have been playing by their own rules for thirty years, making the movies they want to make, throwing whatever they can scrounge up in terms of cash for their "big releases" and to me, that means a lot. Do most of their dvd's suck ass? Of course they do. The transfers are awful and there are rarely any extras on the stuff they pick up for distribution, but you know what? I'm happy to have a copy of Curse of the Cannibal Confederates sitting on my shelf, even if the transfer is abysmal. Just the fact that they make these movies available is important to me.

I like Trey Parker's story about Cannibal The Musical. They met with Lloyd Kaufman who flat out said "We can't give you any money for your movie". They asked him why they should let him distribute it and Kaufman said: "Well, I just think Cannibal is a really great movie and people should see it. I mean, you guys made it so people would see it, right?"

Seeing these other companies go would be no big shame in my opinion. Would it suck to see Blue Underground or Synapse go down in flames? Yes, undoubtedly.

But I have no doubt either that other independent companies would be there to pick up the rights to these obscure films and give them good releases. Not every single indie is going to bite the dust, only the ones that can't survive for whatever reason.

Troma dying would be an incredible loss, not only from a fan standpoint, but for independent cinema in general. Troma's merit goes beyond simple dvd releases, they are kind of a big middle finger to the "establishment" and everyone loses if something like that goes away, regardless of your personal feelings of the quality of their films.

AMEN!

allmessedup
03-07-2007, 09:12 PM
I have the most AB discs, but I think they're in the least danger, so I'll say Synapse. I'd really hate to see all of the smaller labels go. Sadly, it's the nature of business, though....you have to expand and move into new areas in order to survive.

Numania
03-07-2007, 10:32 PM
SYnapse put out awesome quality consistently. I would be sad to see them go.

dwatts
03-07-2007, 10:45 PM
--I have the most AB discs, but I think they're in the least danger--

They're in the most danger, imo. They were bought by a mainstream label, Starz. You reckon they'll keep doing niche titles?

killnstalk
03-08-2007, 02:37 AM
I agree with DUSK and go with Code Red since i mainly only buy slashers.I do own AB releases aso but dont wan any going away.Theres also Camp Motion Pictures.

shithead
03-08-2007, 04:46 AM
So it appears the DVD market has reached its saturation point, and now the indies are taking the brunt of the glut. With financial concerns prevading over most of the small labels these days, there's a fear that some of them may not be around much longer. If one of these companies were to go, which would you be saddest to bid farewell?

What?...is blu ray HD fuckin whatever taking over?...are DVDs going to become the next VHS?:mad:

Angelman
03-08-2007, 05:57 AM
Blue Underground - although it feels like they are already gone.

allmessedup
03-08-2007, 07:11 AM
I consider "go" to mean "go out of business." AB is probably the only label out of the bunch that has a large number of non-genre titles, therefore they have the best chance to survive in some form or another, even if it's not what we've come to expect from them [and as Rhett pointed out, AB is still putting out quality releases.] Unless Starz just has a strong desire to own the AB catalog, I don't really see why they would bother to acquire them unless they felt AB had the potential to generate revenue.

I think the big problem is basically that we're coming close to a point where there's going to be very little genre product other than new films, and I don't know how many of the other labels are going to be able to adjust to that. AB seems to be in a better position than most.

17thJuggalo
03-08-2007, 10:33 PM
Anchor Bay easily. They've done so much for this genre that absolutely no one could fill their shoes.

killnstalk
03-09-2007, 04:06 AM
How many of those companies own the rights to the most 80s slashers thats still not on dvd yet?

maybrick
03-09-2007, 04:14 AM
How many of those companies own the rights to the most 80s slashers thats still not on dvd yet?

None of them do. Any slashers they release from the 80s are likely licensed from another, more major, company.

Crystal Plumage
03-09-2007, 08:12 PM
I picked NoShame since they also have an Italian branch (and the right connections I think) which releases very cool stuff on DVD.Their Italian DVDs are top notch and are screaming for English friendly releases!I want to see that happen :D

walkingdude
03-11-2007, 04:08 AM
If any of these companies go under it's going to hurt.There are still a large amount of movies not on DVD asof yet and ever one of these companies the disappears will make it less likely that we will see certain titles released.
I initially voted for Troma.How do you really choose from this list??All these companies ave eleased great titles at one time or another and I try to support them all.Code Red is clearly a shaky company with promise of some great titles so i buy crap like The Forest and Doom Asylum with hopes the will stay in business long enough to release Sweet Sixteen and Dead Pit.

Horror fans need all these small companies to stay running.

X-human
03-11-2007, 04:41 AM
If Blue Underground or Synapse Films went under you know Bill Lustig or Don May would still have plenty of work to do and most everything they release would still get released in comparable quality. I love Synapse Films, but I don't think the spirit of Synapse Films goes just with the name. It's all the in man Don May Jr. Considering he worked on TCM and NOES w/o Synapse I think it'd be just fine.

Overall I think Mondo Macabro would make me the most sad if they were to go under, but from the list I voted Panik House. If Panik House wasn't around their movies wouldn't have been released by anyone anywhere, none the less as such excellent products. Problem with Dark Sky is that I already imported most of their releases long ago, so for me they haven't been putting out "must haves."

As for Anchor Bay having the most horror out of my collection, they might not even make it into the top 5 of mine. Were they relevent once? Yes, I can't imagine cult DVDs being where they are today with out them. If the company were to fold up their tent tomorrow would I be sad? Not really, they haven't been a relevent company for more than 3 years.

And although everyone talks about a blight on DVDs, I've been buying so many new releases of cult DVDs week after week I'm kinda wondering what the hell everyone's talking about. Sure the big stuff's already out, but all these little gems are being uncovered now.

Fumi
03-12-2007, 05:27 PM

Same here. If they go under, any group of drunken frat boys with $50 in their pocket could make far, FAR better films.

maskull
03-22-2007, 11:05 PM

Two threads in a row that I'm quoting maybrick. Testify!!

Actually I'd be sad to see all of them go (ya know, except Troma). I hope Code Red lasts. I like what they're doing with the releases of North American flix that pretty much no one else will release.

mclay18
03-23-2007, 02:41 PM
Anchor Bay. They did some really spiffy restorations for the Halloween flicks, as well as give them a solid set of extras. They've also did some really good work on the other horror flicks in their possession, like Sleepaway Camp 2: Unhappy Campers.

Not knocking the other cult DVD labels, but I think AB is one of the best cult DVD labels around. I hope they'll stay around for a long time... there's still many horror films that haven't seen the light on DVD already.

Andy Brooks
03-27-2007, 07:27 AM
I would hate to see most of them go (especially AB) , but I voted for Dark Sky. They have brought out some great movies with special features that even Anchor Bay and VCI didn't have on there discs! I just hope they can get a hold of Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things so I can have a decent release of that. The Devil's Rain was excellent.