PDA

View Full Version : Another one bites the dust...

Hellbilly
11-01-2001, 10:10 PM
Shit! I just found another LD of mine rotting...Necronomicon! I hope New Line will release it on DVD soon.

Peter Vincent
11-01-2001, 10:18 PM
OK, Hellbilly, I've never owned Laserdiscs, but what cause them to "rot"?

Temperature? or simply time?

Reason I ask is I got an uncle that has lots of valuable Laserdiscs (like plenty of Criterion released "Bonds") & I'd like to warn him!

Hellbilly
11-01-2001, 10:35 PM
I dunno, Peter. But i think that Paff is the man to ask here.

Paff
11-01-2001, 11:21 PM
Did someone say my name?

Laser "rot" is what happens when the reflective layer comes unglued from it's base. It comes from within and is incurable. It's invisible to the naked eye, but rotted discs start with speckling and progressively get worse.

It's more due to manufacturing than anything else. The most notorious pressing facility was the Sony "LDVS" plant. They did a lot of Columbia/Tri-Star discs, and did them very poorly!
What's funny about that, is that Sony also pressed discs at an Austrian facility, and these discs are perfectly allright. So if you're digging through the used bins, always check the disc for the notorious "LDVS" stamp.

Climate may be a factor, but discs that rot will eventually rot, no matter what you do. On the plus side, if you have a disc that usually rots, but your copy is good, you're probably safe by now.