PDA

View Full Version : Rare DVD's (+ Evil Dead Trap)

indiephantom
02-07-2001, 11:04 PM
Just wondering what some of the hottest rare DVD's and LD's currently are. I love to collect them. Also, is EVIL DEAD TRAP still available over the counter, or is it OOP.

The stuff I have which are hottest properties.

DVD
HARD BOILED (CC)
THIS IS SPINAL TAP (CC)
ZOMBIE (AB)

LD
THE HOWLING--COLLECTOR'S EDITION
SALO ( I know, no one cares about the LD, but the jacket image is better, and I actually like the film)
SHORT CUTS (CC)
CRASH (CC)

There may be others I'm unaware of. But I know these are all OOP. Any more titles appreciated. I hear the Artisan PLATOON and CC of SID & NANCY and THE KILLER are also very hot. Any other horror?

Mark Relford
02-07-2001, 11:56 PM
My "Rare" Collection

DVD:

Platoon (LIVE) I found this one used with no scratches! Great documentary and commentaries not included on The Lion disc.

Re-Animator

Maniac Cop

Halloween (2-disc set)

Used to have Salo, but some crazy bitch got her hands on it.

VHS (GASP!)

Dawn of the Dead (Republic) Not rare, but it's nice to have. It's listed as a Director's cut, but it's not. They had to slap a theatrical sticker over it.

Return of the Living Dead (HBO) I'm happy to have this movie and it's still in good shape. I wont be able to play the upcoming PAL DVD, so this will have to do. :(

Other:

Friday the 13th (RCA SelectaVision VideoDisc) It was my Dad's. (He's a big slasher fan.) It's probably worthless, but it's nice to have.

indiephantom
02-08-2001, 02:23 AM
Good calls Mark. I forgot about Re-Animator, which would be groovy to own.

I do have the Halloween (2-disc set). One of the absolute best DVD's.

I recall your unfortunate SALO story. I hope you at least put out a hit on her. Someone like should be an inexpensive hit. (I'm kidding for all sensitive types. Damn PC's! Maybe not here though.)

FRIDAY THE 13TH must have been one of the premier RCA discs. It's awesome if you can still play. Great for a novely Halloween screening out in a woods cabin. Hmmmm. I'm already in the planning mode for next my Halloween party. Hope it's not too early.

Mark Relford
02-08-2001, 02:35 AM
Indie, here's an older thread about OOP horror DVDs:
http://www.horrordvds.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=001123

Unfortunately, I didn't get back at the psycho bitch from hell. She moved out of state.
And I can't play the Friday the 13th disc, cause he sold the player. :(

How was your last Halloween party?

DVD Connoisseur
02-08-2001, 02:10 PM
indiephantom, the delightful Synapse DVD is still in circulation. I believe the first pressing / blue box version is limited but there should still be plenty around.

I don't really have any rare DVDs. On the LD side, I have the Phantasm signature box, the signed Barker Hellraiser limited edition, the Howling S.E., both Star Wars box sets, the T-2: S.E. box, to name just a few. I think studios really pushed the boat out with their limited LD editions - they really were that extra bit special and a joy to handle and display.

piggwinn
02-08-2001, 08:24 PM
"Rabid Dogs" Top movie too boot!
"Zombie Flesheaters"dvdabusalabel"anamorphic!
"Halloween" 2-Disc Love it!
"Re-animator" already mentioned.
"Cannibal Holocaust" EC top disc!
"Maniac" I'm not sure if this is rare or not.

AceRimRat
02-08-2001, 08:27 PM
My rarities include the Live version of Platoon, Elite's Re-Animator, AB's Halloween 2-disc set and of course, AB's LE NOTLD Hackmaster edition.

Have a couple of other AB LE items and Criterion discs, and, continuing the strange karmic perpendicularity with Mr. Relford's life, a Criterion Spinal Tap I bought BECAUSE of a woman. :rolleyes:

DVD Connoisseur
02-08-2001, 08:30 PM
Welcome to the board, piggwinn.

I missed out on the 2 disc Halloween set but am thanking my lucky stars that Anchor Bay are releasing the TV version as a separate disc later this year.

piggwinn
02-08-2001, 08:46 PM
Many thanks mr Connoisseur Iv'e been around a bit, but am a little new to this typing malarky. When I was a lad it was for girls, but I suppose times have changed.
While I'm here, could anyone explain why nobody knows much about the holland disc of ZOMBIE. It's an awesome print! Uncut, anamorphic, fully remastered. It's out now.
I got it from: www.silverscreen.nl (http://www.silverscreen.nl)
A mighty fine purchase, I sold my Dragon copy as soon as I tried it, a fair bit of picture is missing on that release, and the Anchor bay is well we all know so i'll leave it at that.

Funktion
02-09-2001, 01:43 AM
Some of my "rare" dvd's (at least the ones I know that are rare...):

-Re-Animator

-Maniac Cop

-Halloween (2-disc set)

-Army of Darkness (2-set set; I know the 2nd disk was re-released...)

-Little Shop Of Horrors ('86 movie, with the alternate ending).
I bought this one new, for a good price.
I love this movie!!! I enjoy it's "cartoon feel"...

Vdlman
02-09-2001, 02:04 AM
My rare DVDs are:

Maniac Cop

Army of Darkness (LE 2-Disc)

Re-Animator

Mark Relford
02-09-2001, 02:42 AM
Originally posted by AceRimRat:
and continuing the strange karmic perpendicularity with Mr. Relford's life, a Criterion Spinal Tap I bought BECAUSE of a woman. :rolleyes:

"Whoa!" :D
(In my best Keanu Reeves imitation.)

Originally posted by piggwinn:
[B]"Maniac" I'm not sure if this is rare or not.[B]

Maniac is still in print. I'm sure Elite will discontinue it when AB's re-mastered version comes out.
BTW, welcome to the forum.

MovieFan
02-09-2001, 02:47 AM
AB's LE NOTLD Hackmaster edition

It's still not rare, I still see copies of the LE at lots of stores. It might be a LE, but it's still a piece of shit. :D

The only rare DVDs I have are:
- Army of Darkness: Director's Cut
- Evil Dead II: Limited Edition Tin
- Halloween: Limited Edition
- Halloween 5: Limited Edition Tin
- Robocop: Criterion Collection (which goes OOP in March)

AceRimRat
02-09-2001, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by MovieFan:
It's still not rare, I still see copies of the LE at lots of stores. It might be a LE, but it's still a piece of shit. :D

Right. It's rare to find someone who was foolish enough to actually buy it! :p

JOHN DOE
02-15-2001, 08:42 AM
I don't think I have rare DVD's, But not many people in the USA have Black Christmas

As for Limited Editions I have Evil dead 2 tin #3653 out of 50,000 Hellraiser 1&2 tin #10667 out of (I think) 30,000 Halloween 3352 out of ?

ArrowBeach
02-16-2001, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by AceRimRat:
Right. It's rare to find someone who was foolish enough to actually buy it! :p

Wow there. I recall alot of us bought that damn thing. Remmeber all the hoopla days before its release? However, more appropriate thing to say is "its rare to find who is foolish enough to have KEPT that abomination" as alot of us dumped the LT edition to used record stores or used them as coasters or frisbees, or use it as a killer weapon like in I COME IN PEACE!
Couldnt dump it at ebays though, no one bid son it!

Trashboy
02-16-2001, 11:53 PM
My rare discs:

Salo
The Killer (Criterion)
Hard Boiled (Criterion)
Sid & Nancy (Criterion)
Rabid Dogs
Mark Of The Devil
Zombie
Prom Night
Cannibal Holocaust (Region 1,Substance)
Re-Animator
Maniac Cop
The Alien Legacy (5th Disc)
Horror Hotel (Elite)

Rare but not oop

Slaughterhouse
Deadbeat At Dawn
Nekromantik
Invaders From Mars (1986)
Fando & Lis
The Bubble (3-D)

AceRimRat
02-17-2001, 03:33 AM
Originally posted by ArrowBeach:
Wow there. I recall alot of us bought that damn thing. Remmeber all the hoopla days before its release? However, more appropriate thing to say is "its rare to find who is foolish enough to have KEPT that abomination" as alot of us dumped the LT edition to used record stores or used them as coasters or frisbees, or use it as a killer weapon like in I COME IN PEACE!
Couldnt dump it at ebays though, no one bid son it!

ok, ok, ok. sheesh. you knew what i meant. :rolleyes: