PDA

View Full Version : TVguide.com... and Friday the 13th

Vamp
01-28-2001, 12:36 AM
Has anyone ever looked at the TVGuide.com reviews for ANY of the Friday the 13th movies? Well, take a peak.
http://tvguide.com/movies/database/moviesearch.asp?SearchType=0&name=friday%20the%2013th

The TWO HIGHEST rated Friday the 13th's got 1 star, all of the others got NONE.

Of course, this is a HUGE conspiracy. They hire people to watch me (oh yes, they do), then they give bad reviews on ALL of my favorite movies. Only one (maybe two) of my favorite movies have gotten a decent rating (2 1/2 stars and above)..

Just thought I'd let you know... And next time you answer the phone and you hear a click, it's them... Oh yes, it is.

rhett
01-28-2001, 05:52 AM
Sadly it isn't just TV Guide that bashes horror movies. Almost all major reviewers bash horror films (Leonard Maltin especially) and I beg to question as to whether or not reviewers spewing out such horrible feedback on movies horror fans love even bother to actually watch the films. But this has been the norm for years now, so who am I to complain. It is something horror fans have to deal with. Oh well, welcome to the forum! http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/smile.gif

hojimoji
01-28-2001, 07:19 AM
Leonard Maltin is one of the most unpredictable reviewers I have ever read. If I'm not mistaken he gave Dead Alive 3 stars out of 4. I'm not complaining about that, but he gave Evil Dead II only 2 stars. What's that about?

Oh well.

G.

mutleyhyde
01-28-2001, 08:17 AM
Yeah; I went back and checked, but he did in fact rip Evil Dead pretty good. I know I've heard him praise, greatly I might add, some real turkeys. I thought it was Evil Dead II he praised (not that that's a turkey at all) but it must have been something else. He does give Re-animator 3 stars, and seems to really like it. Who knows with this guy.

------------------
"When I go to confession, I don't offer God small sins - petty squables, jealousies - I offer him sins worth forgiving!"

May the Hammer eternally bleed!
M. Hyde

[This message has been edited by mutleyhyde (edited 01-28-2001).]

Vdlman
01-28-2001, 03:07 PM
Another thing that's weird is that in Maltin's book, he gave Christmas Evil 3 stars and he also gave Brain Damage 3 stars. So that's not something I'm complaining about. You guys are right, you never really know with him.

[This message has been edited by Vdlman (edited 01-28-2001).]

Sam Loomis
01-28-2001, 11:09 PM
Maltin also gave Dawn of the Dead 3 1/2 stars out of four.

Mark Relford
01-29-2001, 03:42 AM
Maltin gave ROTLD 2 stars!!! The shitbox sequel got the same rating. http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/eek.gif I think I'm going to be sick!

------------------
"Have you ever had an Egyptian feast?"

"They're back from the grave and ready to party!"

Chucky P
01-29-2001, 05:26 AM
Roger Ebert gave Dawn of The Dead 4 Stars, Return of Living Dead 3 stars, and Evil Dead 2 3 stars. He also gave Day of The Dead 1 1/2 stars and Army of Darkness 2 stars. You can't win them all!

Jason25
01-29-2001, 05:44 AM
Vamp, what were you really expecting tvguide.com to say about the Friday the 13th series?

You seriously really didn't expect anything higher than maybe 1 or 2 stars did you?

Demon
01-29-2001, 10:18 AM
If I had to rate any of the Friday the 13th movies on the level of regular everyday movies I wouldn't give any of them stars. IMO, these movies are fun to watch just because of how incredibly stupid they are.

------------------
Where's my enchilada?

Vamp
01-29-2001, 04:50 PM
I wasn't expecting 5 stars or anything, but I was at least expecting at LEAST 1 star for most of them... C'mon, the whole series adds up to 2 stars. That's just not right.

evileye
01-29-2001, 05:47 PM
I have to give credit where credit is due.

Maltin, Ebert and their ilk are servicing the majority of filmgoers and not particular goreghounds like us. Most people will agree that many of the films we hold as cult favorites are not really classic filmmaking at its best.

These guys do praise the outstanding examples of the genre (THE EXORCIST, JAWS, HALLOWEEN, REANIMATOR.....) but slam films like FRIDAY THE 13TH, which although I love some of them personally, I would never walk into a serious film debate praising their merits against classic serious cinema.

While I don't agree with Ebert in a number of his reviews, I still find them entertaining and he present a number of intelligent views in them. And despite his bashing of the slasher genre, he has went to bat for many a good horror/sci-fi film (and to take the time to do a commentary for a film like DARK CITY is commendable).

rhett
01-29-2001, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by Demon:
If I had to rate any of the Friday the 13th movies on the level of regular everyday movies I wouldn't give any of them stars. IMO, these movies are fun to watch just because of how incredibly stupid they are.

But if they are fun to watch, than shouldn't that merrit a favorable review. Stupid or not, if a film brings enjoyment from the viewer then it has obviously succeeded and should thus be given the proper recognition. Dumb and Dumber was "incredibly stupid" but yet it got great reviews from the likes of Gene Siskle and other such reviewers. What I am saying is that if a movie is "fun to watch" then it deserves a good review, no matter how stupid it may present itself.