PDA

View Full Version : The battle of the kiddie monster flicks

rhett
05-08-2007, 09:17 AM
In one corner: The Coreys, Kiefer, and Joel Schumacher. In the other: Tom Noonan, Shane Black and Fred Dekker. THE LOST BOYS has a higher profile, but does THE MONSTER SQUAD have more devout fans? Pick your favorite!

Katatonia
05-08-2007, 10:07 AM
Tough choice between the two... but I think I'll have to go with The Monster Squad by a planck-length win.

Too bad that The Goonies doesn't quite classifiy for this poll. :)

old-boo-radley
05-08-2007, 10:35 AM
Lost Boys is so awesome.

"My own brother, a goddamn shit-sucking vampire! You wait until mom finds out about this, buddy!"

Spacevis
05-08-2007, 11:30 AM
I voted Lost Boys, because Monster Squad isn't exactly a childhood favourite (I discovered it a few years ago). When it comes to kiddy monster flics, nostalgia plays a big part in the appreciation of the film... at least for me it does.

Mortis
05-08-2007, 12:39 PM
The Monster Squad for me.

BrianR1982
05-08-2007, 12:53 PM
Very tough choice, but I had to go with The Monster Squad.

Rocker416
05-08-2007, 01:12 PM
The Monster Squad all the way!!

DrHerbertWest
05-08-2007, 03:08 PM
Easily The Lost Boys.

maybrick
05-08-2007, 03:23 PM
The Monster Squad. I don't consider The Lost Boys a kiddie flick as it doesn't have a single cast member under the age of 13.

Workshed
05-08-2007, 03:46 PM
The Monster Squad. I love The Lost Boys, but The Haimster drives me crazy in it. The singing in the tub scene? God, so weird. The Monster Squad has no singing in the tub and it's all awesome.

satans-sadists
05-08-2007, 04:24 PM
The Monster Squad. I love The Lost Boys, but The Haimster drives me crazy in it. The singing in the tub scene? God, so weird. The Monster Squad has no singing in the tub and it's all awesome.

I completely agree!

Even though The Lost Boys was filmed locally in Santa Cruz (one of my favorite beach communities), The Monster Squad gets my vote.

RyanPC
05-08-2007, 06:52 PM
Neither film is a huge favorite of mine (I much prefer Near Dark to both of them, though I don't know if I would classify that as a "kiddie" monster flick), but I went with The Monster Squad. I never could understand the popularity of The Lost Boys, quite honestly.

Bobbywoodhogan
05-08-2007, 09:30 PM
You can't make me choose I love them both. I can't choose 1.

Dave
05-08-2007, 09:32 PM
Monster Squad all the way, but is Lost Boys really a kiddie movie? I would disagree with that.

rhett
05-08-2007, 09:43 PM
Even when Haim was 30 he still acted like he was 10, so I'd say that "kiddie" definitely applies.

Workshed
05-08-2007, 09:46 PM
I was going to say that the action in The Lost Boys was more adult, but then I remembered that Dracula threw a stick of dynamite into a treehouse in The Monster Squad. Both are pretty violent films, although The Lost Boys features one sweaty saxophone player gyrating violently. But, TMS has an exploding wolfman.

Mortis
05-08-2007, 09:50 PM
With nards.

But, TMS has an exploding wolfman.

onebyone
05-08-2007, 10:07 PM
I love them both. However, The Lost Boys had... The Lost Boys, one of which was Kiefer Sutherland. It wins.

Workshed
05-08-2007, 10:09 PM
I love them both. However, The Lost Boys had... The Lost Boys, one of which was Kiefer Sutherland. It wins.

It also had a mullet'd Bill S. Preston, Esq., which was great.

It also had a Rob Lowe poster in The Haimster's room, which was confusing.

maybrick
05-08-2007, 11:24 PM
The Lost Boys wasn't made for prepubescent children like The Monster Squad was. It was made for teens... as is at least half of the horror movies ever made. I just plain don't see how it can be considered "kiddie", no matter how juvenile Corey Haim acts.

rhett
05-08-2007, 11:28 PM
It also had a Rob Lowe poster in The Haimster's room, which was confusing.
This is a horror movie in the eighties...he's gay. He wants to leapfrog bareback onto Feldman and his frog brother, while Kiefer lusts after Jason Patric with all that homoerotic teeth gnashing and pensive staring. Jami Gertz? She's just a front.

spawningblue
05-09-2007, 02:51 AM
Both are awesome movies! Went with Monster Squad though as it holds a bit more of nostalgie for me. If Goonies were in this fight I would have to support it all the way. Goonies never say die! Heyyy youuuu guys!

maybrick
05-09-2007, 03:22 AM
Heyyy youuuu guys!

That's actually from the opening credits to "The Electric Company" that Sloth is referencing, btw.

Agent Z
05-09-2007, 04:04 AM
If Goonies were in this fight I would have to support it all the way. Goonies never say die! Heyyy youuuu guys!

You just gave me a strange craving (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR_ByTmO2X8).

Workshed
05-09-2007, 02:33 PM
He wants to leapfrog bareback onto Feldman and his frog brother, while Kiefer lusts after Jason Patric with all that homoerotic teeth gnashing and pensive staring. Jami Gertz? She's just a front.

:lol: :lol:

"Leapfrog"

But where does Laddie fit into all this? Did Keifer keep him/her/it forever young just in case he ever felt like a slice of veal? How did Gertz sneak Laddie away from the clutches of Keifer? Simple. She hid Laddie in her beard.

Evil Dead Guy
05-10-2007, 07:34 PM
Though i liked Lost Boys, but i loved Monster Squad more.

maskull
05-12-2007, 01:18 AM
Kiefer, Jason and the girl of my dreams for most of my early years Jami. Easily Lost Boys wins. In fact it destroys Monster Squad....and I liked Monster Squad. Just adore Lost Boys that much.

othervoice1
05-14-2007, 10:42 PM
I have to admit when I was in 7th or 8th grade and this came out I loved it- and I continued to watch it a lot thru highschool- so it is still a movie im quite fond of- Monster Squad I just never could get into for some reason.

hell ya!
05-14-2007, 11:39 PM
The Monster Squad for sure! I don't consider The Lost Boys to be a kiddie flick though.

MorallySound
05-14-2007, 11:40 PM
The Monster Squad. Duh.

Grim
05-14-2007, 11:45 PM
Lost Boys, although I wouldnt exactly consider it kiddie. It's rated R and has its fair share of bloody violence.

Zillamon51
11-05-2007, 03:47 PM
Poll's closed, too bad. I watched both movies recently, and would have voted for The Lost Boys. Nothing against The Monster Squad, which was actually better than what little I remember from my single VHS viewing back in the day. LB has more of an edge and is less "kiddie," which earns it the nod. BTW, it's mentioned in the extras on the LB 2-disc that the movie started out as a strictly "for kids" project, before the director steered it in a hipper, more grown-up direction. Think about that next time you have the urge to bash J.S., which many people do.

Speaking of kiddie horror, Monster House is actually pretty good; better than I expected. I've also seen The Littlest Vampire, with the kid from Jerry Maguire in it, but I don't remember much about it.