PDA

View Full Version : 2 new DVD's I bought and watched

ashe001
01-28-2001, 07:55 AM
well, I picked up Let Sleeping Corpses Lie and Carnival of Souls the other day. Finally got a chance to watch them today. LSCL was interesting because it was very similar to NOTLD but it had it's own moments as well. I really enjoyed it but some of the acting wasn't great. The effects were nice with loads of blood and guts. Carnival of Souls was a strange picture. Strange in a good way though and this one also reminded me of NOTLD a little. The head ghoul (the director) was freaky and that image of him smiling is gonna haunt me for a bit I'm sure. Some scenes were kinda lame and long but I liked it overall. Anyone else have their opinions on these?

[This message has been edited by ashe001 (edited 01-28-2001).]

DVD Connoisseur
01-28-2001, 09:53 PM
Both films are rich in atmosphere and make use of their locations. I have a place in my heart for Let Sleeping Corpses Lie as it is filmed partly around Manchester where I work and the Lake District, which I know quite well. For its time, I thought LSCL was very good but obviously not the gore-fest which later zombie movies became. It succeeds in maintaining genuine menace for the zombies - the music that plays when the living dead are around is pretty nightmarish, isn't it?

I haven't seen Carnival of Souls for a very long time but there's no doubt that it's a beautifully made, haunting movie. I really need to see this film again but I don't know if I'll purchase it in the near future - there are too many films out there that I haven't seen.

Jasondog
01-29-2001, 12:02 AM
My Let Sleeping Corpses Lie tin should come in soon. I cant wait for it.

DVD Connoisseur
01-29-2001, 12:19 AM
The tin is IMHO great. The artwork is superb, the postcard inside is a miniature of the original theatrical poster, the booklet's pleasing...and the package is completed with a LSCL toe-tag. Just what every zombie needs!

Roll on the 2001 tins! These should be an improvement as I believe AB are doing away with their infamous jewel cases and incorporating the standard keep case instead.