PDA

View Full Version : Best "Honorable Mention" Horror/Thriller Score

swr2777
11-06-2001, 05:47 AM
Hey, everyone! Of course, when mentioning horror/thriller scores, all of the much hailed classics probably come to mind first...Herrman's score for PSYCHO, Williams' score for JAWS, Goldsmith's scores for ALIEN, POLTERGEIST, or THE OMEN, Carlos' and Co.'s score for THE SHINING, Donaggio's score for DRESSED TO KILL, Goblin's score for SUSPIRIA or DAWN OF THE DEAD, etc. :rolleyes:

How 'bout all the runner-ups though? So many films, whether hits or misses, have similarly terrific scores that go lesser noticed for one reason or another. These are a handful off the top of my head that I think of as exactly that..."honorable mentions," if you will. Though some of the film titles I've thrown out here are classics in their own right and others are just middle-of-the-road, they all have mentionable scores that are worthy predecessors to the greats we probably think of first. Which is you all's favorite? :eek:

With so many great horror scores out there, I've missed a slew of them on my piddly list. Any other suggestions...? :p

Peace, gang! :D

Hellbilly
11-06-2001, 04:25 PM
I voted for The Beast Within. The creepy score added a lot to the atmosphere of this film.

Great poll, swr!:)

Dark Lord
11-06-2001, 08:15 PM
I don't know why, being a huge Phantasm fan, I just had to vote for it. Love this film.

swr2777
11-06-2001, 08:17 PM
Glad you like the poll, Hellbilly!

I love the BEAST WITHIN score, too! One of the most underrated on the list. Great combination of old school orchestral presentation and early 80's electronic sound effects. The main title music is exciting, scary, and brooding, especially with the electronic bass and lower-octave piano melody. I know a lot of people bash Les Baxter because of the Americanized score for BLACK SUNDAY, but he really was a fine composer in his own right. I read somewhere that he actually had to sue John Williams at one time for ripping off one of his early scores, but don't remember how it turned out.

Personally, I voted for ALTERED STATES. SUPERB score by John Corigliano. It's so uplifting to see a sought-after contemporary classical composer tackle a horror movie as their first film score project, and even more impressive to know that he won an Oscar nomination for doing so. Too bad he didn't win for it, but it was nice to see him do so 20 years later for THE RED VIOLIN no less.

Just my two cents... :D :D :D

swr2777
11-06-2001, 08:20 PM
PHANTASM score freakin' rocks, dude! That eerie electronic biz be creepin' me out, too! Perfect score to compliment Coscarelli's jarring, stylized vision.

The Silva Screen CD soundtrack of the score is supposed to be terrific!

Peter Vincent
11-06-2001, 08:46 PM
Out of all the scores U had listed, I had to vote for Phantasm's with The Fog at a close 2nd. Both have very creepy scoers that add to the Fright!

Speaking of Fright...Fright Night's score by Brad Fiedel (Terminator 1 & 2) is very, very good & deserves mention! If U notice, a lot of T2's fast paced score has very similar elements to Fright Night!

swr2777
11-06-2001, 08:54 PM
I know what you mean about Brad Fieldel, PV! He, too, is a great composer. His work in NIGHT SCHOOL and FRIGHT NIGHT are really creepy and effective. He's come a long way, too! There's such an evolution between those old school horror scores and stuff like T2, yet all of them sharing many of the great aural qualities that are uniquely his like you were saying.

THE FOG is a freakin' awesome score by Carpenter and, at least in my opinion, just as good as HALLOWEEN's.

Daniel B
11-06-2001, 11:56 PM
Hey that's a wonderful poll! Indeed horror movies have so many incredible scores that we always get surprised at some of them with just give a second listening:):):)

rhett
11-07-2001, 01:51 AM
I voted Phantasm too, the score definitely compliments the film perfectly, and has that weird 70's beat that you can never get out of your head. Second up would definitely be The Fog, I love all Carpenter scores, but I listen to the Phantasm theme much more than The Fog, so I had to go against JC this time. :)

Great poll swr!

moogong
11-07-2001, 02:12 AM
I had to go for Phantasm also, when the music started up, you knew some bad shit was gonna go down!!!

gusse
11-07-2001, 09:37 AM
Iwent with The Fog one of Carpenter's best scores ever, and probably his most underrated film ever btw! Greate stuff!:cool:

thrashard76
11-07-2001, 02:46 PM
But you excluded The Exorcist and Halloween scores. If Demons were up there for best soundtrack that would have been my pick. That movie has some of the great classic metal songs in there.

gusse
11-08-2001, 10:07 AM
*minor spoilers*

Thrashard76:

About Deamons... is it just me, or is it impossible to stop smiling when they get on that motorbike, race around in the theater slicing deamons with the samurai-sword all to the classic Accept tune "Fast as a shark". That gets me hapy every time!! To me this is a feel-good movie, in a horror-kind of a way that is ;)hehehe.

Accept where one of my favorite bands as a kid, and they still have a special place in my heart! :)

thrashard76
11-08-2001, 07:04 PM
When I saw this movie for the 1st time I was so happy at the end that I watched it all over again. I loved how the movie incorporated big name metal bands of the time into the movie in various parts of the movie. It gave the whole movie that extra edge that I hadn't seen in most horror movies.

calpurnia
11-09-2001, 01:59 AM
What about THE BEYOND?
Simply beautiful.

thrashard76
11-09-2001, 04:33 AM
The Beyond had a nice ambience to its soundtrack too. It fits the movie's atmosphere.