PDA

View Full Version : Masters of Dipping

rhett
06-27-2007, 12:20 AM
Now that the MASTERS OF HORROR first season will be released as a box set for 80 bones come this August 28th, will you finally bite the bullet and buy it? Will you upgrade? Will you ignore? What's your stance?

satans-sadists
06-27-2007, 12:34 AM
I have some of the single releases and that's enough.

I'm glad the episodes were issued individually first. I've only bought four episodes from the first season and may pick up one other. In my opinion, the remaining episodes ranged from mediocre to awful. It would be a waste of money for me to buy the season set.

onebyone
06-27-2007, 12:37 AM
I have some of the single releases and that's enough. The many episodes that sucked really, really sucked, and I don't need to have them. I don't want to have them. I wish I could unsee them so I could forgive the directors. Imprint and Chocolate and Homecoming and The Screwfly Solution and Pro-Life and Dance of the Dead and the other lame ones at casa onebyone? Don't think so.

Noto
06-27-2007, 12:38 AM
Rhett's gonna buy me my copy.

SaviniFan
06-27-2007, 12:42 AM
I gotta agree on Imprints suckiness. I love Takashi Miike's films for the most part. But with all the hype surrounding that episode it sure didn't deliver. Miike should stick to directing in Japanese. He clearly can't tell what lousy English acting is.

X-human
06-27-2007, 12:43 AM
"I held off buying the single releases to buy this."

Blu-ray for me, if the price is right.

Paff
06-27-2007, 12:55 AM
As mentioned in the other thread, I'm happy with what I have and what I paid for it. Even if it ends up being more than what the box costs, it was $7 here, $5 there. At least two of the episodes are absolute stinkers, and several more are just OK (I didn't hate Imprint like a lot of you, but it's an average episode at best). I only consider four to be "must-haves".

Not getting a warm feeling about the second season, so I will continue to hand-pick the episodes for my collection. No use cluttering up space with box sets of episodes I'll never watch more than once. I hope the single episode releases keep coming.

bigdaddyhorse
06-27-2007, 01:25 AM
Have them all on dvdr's so that's probably good enough for me.
I do have a dub of Cigarette Burns and recently got the real discs for Incident and Chocolate as they were $1.99 at Gamestop, with perfect condition slipcases and cards inside. Only got Chocolate cuz it was free as the only 3rd disc I could find for the buy 2 get 1 free offer.
That packaging does look sweet so if I see it for really cheap (I'm thinking $25 or less) I'd get it, $50< is too much.

_pi_
06-27-2007, 01:36 AM
I have three episodes, don't think I'll buy any more. I am severely disappointed that this show never managed to live up to its potential. I mean, this could - SHOULD - have been the greatest TV series of all time! Considering the talent behind it! It's really frustrating that it never went beyond semi-greatness.

spawningblue
06-27-2007, 02:07 AM
I'll probably pick up the box set.

DrHerbertWest
06-27-2007, 03:37 AM
If I can get the boxed set for a pretty cheap price, I will pick it up. The only one I've bought was Jennifer, but I sold it knowing there was a boxed set coming out. I enjoyed most of Season One but haven't seen any episodes in the new season.

old-boo-radley
06-27-2007, 03:42 AM
I will buy it when the price drops. It's still way to high for 13 episodes.

JW77
06-27-2007, 04:01 AM
I initially held off on buying them in anticipaton of the boxed set (and you had to know they would release one), but I'll probably pass on it anyway. Unless I can come by one dirt cheap... like under $30... maybe more like $20... I can probably live without it.

Most of the reviews of the series I've come across are negative enough to keep me away from it.

rp108
06-27-2007, 04:53 AM
"I held off buying the single releases to buy this."

Blu-ray for me, if the price is right.

Same here but I don't care about the price unless its something ridiculous like $200.

KamuiX
06-27-2007, 06:26 AM
I bought most of the episodes I liked, and really don't care to own the ones I don't. There's a couple I like that I still need to pick up, but I'm really not interested in owning the box.

Katatonia
06-27-2007, 10:20 AM
"I have some of the single releases and that's enough."

I own the episodes that I truly wanted to own, and that's it. If I saw the box set for an extremely cheap price, then I'd perhaps reconsider.

thrashard76
06-27-2007, 05:51 PM
I held off buying the single releases to buy this.

Workshed
06-27-2007, 05:56 PM
I haven't seen a one, and was glad when the box set was announced, but now I'm reading that some of 'em ain't that great. I've avoided MoH threads to avoid spoilers, but is there a thread where the clear S1 winners were agreed upon?

Paff
06-27-2007, 06:02 PM
I haven't seen a one, and was glad when the box set was announced, but now I'm reading that some of 'em ain't that great. I've avoided MoH threads to avoid spoilers, but is there a thread where the clear S1 winners were agreed upon?

Do a search on Masters Of Horror, and you'll find a few spoiler-free threads. There's a "rate the episodes", and a "top 5 episodes" thread. I guess you'd have to go by the opinions of the people here you agree with.

My recommendations: Must own: Incident on and Off a Mountain Road, Dreams in the Witch House, Cigarette Burns, Deer Woman.
Buy only if you're a Argento and Miike fan: Jenifer, Imprint, Pelts (season 2).
Avoid at all costs: Sick Girl, Homecoming.
Haeckels Tale and Fair Haired Child were good outings, but it's not like you're missing something if you don't own them.
I have yet to see Dance of the Dead, Chocolate, and Pick Me Up from season 1, and all of season 2 except for Pelts.

Workshed
06-27-2007, 06:08 PM
Do a search on Masters Of Horror, and you'll find a few spoiler-free threads. There's a "rate the episodes", and a "top 5 episodes" thread. I guess you'd have to go by the opinions of the people here you agree with.

My recommendations: Must own: Incident on and Off a Mountain Road, Dreams in the Witch House, Cigarette Burns, Deer Woman.
Buy only if you're a Argento and Miike fan: Jenifer, Imprint, Pelts (season 2).
Avoid at all costs: Sick Girl, Homecoming.
Haeckels Tale and Fair Haired Child were good outings, but it's not like you're missing something if you don't own them.
I have yet to see Dance of the Dead, Chocolate, and Pick Me Up from season 1, and all of season 2 except for Pelts.

I will do a search over lunch, and thanks for the must-own suggestions, Paff. I hate "wasting" a Netflix rental on an hour-long episode, but they've begun to offer a few as Ready-to-View on the site with a subscription. Meaning, you can just go to Netflix and watch a Masters of Horror episode on-site. I've yet to do it--a co-worker is borrowing "my" laptop--but it might be a good work-around.

philxus
06-27-2007, 10:26 PM
Who cares, most of the episodes sucks anyway!!!:sleepy: :evil:

Luna
06-27-2007, 10:52 PM
Buy only if you're a Argento and Miike fan: Jenifer, Imprint, Pelts (season 2).Oh, I couldn't disagree more. I normally love Miike's stuff but absolutely HATED Imprint. I never bought into all the hype about it and saw it spoiler-free. It was beyond stupid and I never thought Billy Drago could ever be so whiny and annoying. A severe letdown.

I wouldn't consider buying any of these except for Jenifer, Pelts, The Screwfly Solution and maybe the two Stuart Gordons. The first two are most likely to wind up in my collection at some point. I expected The Washingtonians to be more serious in tone like the Bentley Little short story it was based on, but it was fun enough for a rental at least... if you like cheese. If you don't, stay far away.

Paff
06-27-2007, 11:17 PM
Oh, I couldn't disagree more. I normally love Miike's stuff but absolutely HATED Imprint. I never bought into all the hype about it and saw it spoiler-free. It was beyond stupid and I never thought Billy Drago could ever be so whiny and annoying. A severe letdown..

Well, my implication was more in the terms of, if you're a serious fan of those directors you'll want to see them regardless of how well-directed they are. Dario Argento could film a guy reading the phone book for 90 minutes and I'd still want to watch it once just to see if there's any of his trademark style.

And a fan of Argento and Miike (who do have their loyal followings) shouldn't pass up their entries solely based on word-of-mouth. Although I guess you can say that about any of the MoH directors really. If you're a big Lucky McKee fan, you'll see Sick Girl no matter how bad it is (and it's bad).

That said, I did enjoy Imprint, flaws and all. It got a little stupid at the end (did I say a LITTLE stupid?...make that a lot), but up until the last 15 minutes it was pretty nasty. Bad acting and all. Not the best work from Miike by a longshot, but if someone said he/she was a die-hard Miike fan but hadn't seen Imprint, I'd say they definitely should check it out for themselves. That was kinda my point.

DrHerbertWest
06-27-2007, 11:19 PM
Pick Me Up is awesome. Sorry to the haters (h8ers?) but Michael Moriarty in tha hizzzzousse.... Haaaaay.

onebyone
06-27-2007, 11:24 PM
Pick Me Up is awesome. Sorry to the haters (h8ers?) but Michael Moriarty in tha hizzzzousse.... Haaaaay.

I didn't like that one much the first go around, but the second time I was totally feeling it and just loved it. Michael Moriarty was so great in that one. He's all around a great actor period. I wish he got more roles like this one or The Stuff.

satans-sadists
06-27-2007, 11:29 PM
I didn't like that one much the first go around, but the second time I was totally feeling it and just loved it. Michael Moriarty was so great in that one. He's all around a great actor period. I wish he got more roles like this one or The Stuff.

Pick Me Up is my favorite episode from the first season. Moriarty works great with Larry Cohen. In addition to The Stuff, he was also terrific in Q The Winged Serpent.

KGBRadioMoskow
06-27-2007, 11:37 PM
If you're a big Lucky McKee fan, you'll see Sick Girl no matter how bad it is (and it's bad).

I actually liked that one. I don't think its anywhere on par with May or Roman, and it had its flaws, but I liked it. Impressed me more than Haeckels Tale, which I felt promised a lot but delivered only the predictable.

DVD-fanatic-9
06-28-2007, 10:20 AM
Sick Girl is amazing. Don't listen to anyone who says it's bad. They have no clue what they're talking about.

It's just not scary. The best friend character is a little annoying. But even he's not that bad. I think Sick Girl even surpasses Lucky McKee's May. Which wasn't scary either. Let's be honest.

I haven't seen Cigarette Burns or Imprint yet. And I unfortunately bought too many of the individual DVDs before this set. But I think eventually I'll get it. I have to admit the trailer for Imprint alone makes me HAVE to see it. It looks unbelievable!!!

Ecstatica
06-28-2007, 03:44 PM
I haven't seen any MoH. Are they worth blind-buying?

satans-sadists
06-28-2007, 05:25 PM

I'd be careful about that. Depends upon your personal tastes. I've been renting the episodes from Netflix first. Thus far I've seen only five (maybe six) that were worth buying from seasons one and two.

DVD-fanatic-9
06-28-2007, 11:19 PM
Even though I haven't seen Cigarette Burns I really think blind buying that is a sure thing safe bet. And Sick Girl is just amazing. And I haven't heard 1 single bad word yet about Fair Haired Child.

But if you're talking about the set yeah I would say be very careful. As for the individual releases everyone says this series is weak. And it is only weak compared to most of the directors' prior work. But as for the series compared to most of the crap coming out now it's not so bad. They certainly beat the living hell out of all the remakes.

Stige
07-01-2007, 06:09 PM
have the region 2 box sets too bad that wasnt a choice

maskull
07-03-2007, 02:53 AM
And I haven't heard 1 single bad word yet about Fair Haired Child.
Then I guess you haven't read any of my comments about it.

....I loved Sick Girl.

Anyway I can't afford the set. I have most of the season 1 Eps that I want but if I could find the set cheap somewhere I'd pick it up cause there's a couple I still really want and a few that I could probably watch again.

So in other words, it's not a huge priority for me, but if I'm ever un-broke and don't have anything more important to buy, I'd pick up the set.

gore
07-03-2007, 03:55 AM
I held off to buy the set...I have showtime so I saw them...some of the episodes suck....some of my horror movies suck..I am buying the set. :)

Zillamon51
09-12-2007, 12:30 AM
I haven't seen a single ep, but I just got the box set for my b-day. I've been curious about the show for a while, but I don't have whatever channel its on and never considered either blind-buying or renting individual hour-long eps a priority.

DVD-fanatic-9
09-22-2007, 04:47 PM
Then I guess you haven't read any of my comments about it.
That makes you about the 3rd person I've encountered so far. Since last month, I'd say. But I still think most people say that's a good episode. I ordered the boxset and it should be here either today or Monday, so I'll see for myself fairly soon.

...I loved Sick Girl.
Oh, there's no question that Sick Girl is outstanding. I feel like anyone who doesn't think so didn't watch it properly. It actually satisfied me more than anything Lucky McKee's directed yet.

Anyway I can't afford the set. I have most of the season 1 Eps that I want but if I could find the set cheap somewhere I'd pick it up cause there's a couple I still really want and a few that I could probably watch again. So in other words, it's not a huge priority for me, but if I'm ever un-broke and don't have anything more important to buy, I'd pick up the set.
I had to kill someone and steal their insurance money, but I finally got the set coming. There's just no way I could turn down that bonus disc. Especially since I think the Monstersandmoviecritics.com (some site with a name sounding just like that) said the new featurettes are over 100 minutes. One being 60-something minutes and the other being about 37 minutes. Plus, those 2 interviews with Spielberg and Boorman (am I wrong about them?) and another site reported the bonus disc also contained deleted scenes. Hopefully they're right.