PDA

View Full Version : Dead Silence Contest

rhett
06-29-2007, 07:24 PM
In describing DEAD SILENCE, creators James Wan and Leigh Whannell have called the film a throwback to "old fashioned" horror cinema. As we get bombarded with remakes like THE HAUNTING and THE MUMMY, we realize more and more how those old black and white classics have really defined the genre ever since.

We want to keep things simple for this contest, like the last one, so all you need to do is answer a simple question. What's your favorite, classic, pre-color horror film? Bela, Boris and the bunch made tons, and there are some greats from all over the world too, and many of them are pretty obscure. Hopefully sharing your favorite will entice others to check out a gem they may never have known about otherwise.

Because I love DEAD SILENCE so much, I want to share the experience with all of you. I've got a bunch of unique memorabilia for the film to give away, so three lucky winners will receive:

A Dead Silence Prize Pack:
-DVD
-T-shirt
-Cup
-Fridge magnet
-Hat

The cut-off will be Friday, July 6th at midnight. All the entires will be put into a database, and three members will be randomly drawn.

So let's get to the topic...what's your favorite pre-color classic horror movie?

dwatts
06-29-2007, 07:31 PM
There are so many greats it's difficult to pick just one. The Universal Horrors, the Gaumont films from the UK, and all those classic Poverty Row movies that are the essence of low bugdet guerilla film making. But a favorite single film?

I could go for many, but I'm going to go for one that I'd rebuy the instant it was out in any format - Fiend Without a Face. Not obscure, but it's got dynamite effects, some wonderful B actors, and even some gore. That gore was quite a shock for a young boy watching it for the first time. That it got a Criterion release was a pleasant shock at the time.

So.. Fiend Without a Face.

Mattster
06-29-2007, 07:49 PM
House on Haunted Hill

bigdaddyhorse
06-29-2007, 08:02 PM
Creature From The Black Lagoon.
It could easily be a Godzilla flick, but those weren't really horror.

SpaceAce
06-29-2007, 08:08 PM
Creature from the black lagoon, (wolf-man is a very close second, but the lagoon/water scenes put the creature in first place)

burieddeep
06-29-2007, 08:12 PM
The Human Monster - Lugosi's best roll next to Dracula of course.

Noto
06-29-2007, 08:18 PM
Cat People.

Hands down it is one of the most beautiful, surreal and unsettling films from its era. Particularly from a major studio non-experimental film.

The Universal classic monster films are very close too.

DrHerbertWest
06-29-2007, 08:21 PM
The Black Cat, with Bela Lugosi & Boris Karloff. One of my all time favorite B&W films, not only because of the great story and acting between the two, but simply because both Dracula and Frankenstein are together on the screen.

Slow
06-29-2007, 08:26 PM
William Castle's Homicidal.

Cheesy good fun in the tradition of Psycho. The film so "terrifying" it has a fright break!

marcx
06-29-2007, 08:37 PM
hmmm--tough call....but I am going with Bride oif Frankenstein...

(I was tempted to say the haunting or the innocents but i guess they don't trul;y meat the criteria..)

Mattster
06-29-2007, 08:48 PM
William Castle's Homicidal.

Cheesy good fun in the tradition of Psycho. The film so "terrifying" it has a fright break!

We are now entering the house!

Azmodan
06-29-2007, 09:06 PM
House on Haunted Hill for me

baggio
06-29-2007, 09:07 PM
Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein

100% pure entertainment. Covers all bases.

ekent
06-29-2007, 09:10 PM
I Walked With a Zombie, I love the pounding drums and dark atmosphere.

mcchrist
06-29-2007, 09:12 PM
Vampyr.

onebyone
06-29-2007, 09:34 PM
Universal horror's Dracula gets my vote, because I absolutely love Bela as Dracula. I could watch him all day. Other choices I considered were the amazing The 7th Victim and The Curse of the Cat People.

rxfiend
06-29-2007, 09:39 PM
I'm going to go WAY back and pick Nosferatu. That movie is just creepy and still to this day, Max Shrek put on the best/scariest portrayal of a vampire.

Luna
06-29-2007, 10:21 PM
Dead of Night, because dummies are naturally creepy as all hell.

MrKateB
06-29-2007, 10:27 PM
If we are talking pre-color, as in before color films were available, probably London After Midnight, although I've only seen it in a butchered form--simply because it was the first movie that had such a grotesque looking "monster"..

Otherwise, I think my favorite black in white pre-50's technicolor would probably be "The Spiral Staircase", which although is probably more accurately classified as "suspense", was the first real "serial killer" movie I saw that really creeped me out...

The setting of the old house, the shadows in the yard, the knowledge that someone was killing women who had various handicaps, all of the great performances etc....All of them added up to a movie that still managed to capture the attention of a pre-teen who was already getting into 70's horror films.

KamuiX
06-29-2007, 11:51 PM
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari is my favorite b&w horror film. It's nearly 90-years old, and it's still as effective as it ever was, I'm sure. Beautifully shot, amazing set-design, and an all-around unique story. Not just one of the best b&w horror films, but one of the best films of all-time, period. A definite wonder from the early days of cinema.

MorallySound
06-30-2007, 12:37 AM
Frankenstein.

Mazurka Macabre
06-30-2007, 12:46 AM
Metropolis! Many people consider this the archetypal science fiction film, yet the same argument that applies to Alien - Is it sci fi or horror? - applies to Lang's 1927 masterpiece. So much of Metropolis is what has come to define 'horror'. I challenge anyone to watch this film and not be struck by the overlap between genres.

My favorite sequence has to be Rotwang's stalking of Maria in the decrepit catacombs. The heavy use of his flashlight as a tool to inspire terror in the woman (and audience) has anticipated many such sequences from the slasher subgenre. Also, the evil Maria robot, Futura, is more of an erotic horror "witch" than an inhuman, emotionless computer. The dialog flat-out dubs her a witch, and the city dwellers burn her at the stake!

_pi_
06-30-2007, 01:36 AM
It's not really pre-color, but it's in black and white: The Innocents. Quite possibly one of the best filmed movies I've ever seen. Every frame is perfect!

But if we're talking about really pre-color, then I guess mine would be Nosferatu. I know it may be cliché now, but it's still an incredibly well made film and works perfectly today. It's especially interesting comparing it with Herzog's remake (if not Coppola's Bram Stoker's Whoever's Dracula).

spookmeister
06-30-2007, 02:25 AM
Pre-color for me it would have to be the original Phantom of the Opera with Lon Chaney Sr. A true classic.

B&W post-color would be Village of the Damned. Love those evil children with the creepy eyes.

DopeChamberX
06-30-2007, 03:19 AM
Have to agree with Nosferatu. Been one of my all time favorites. I think it was actually one of the first horror films i saw/was able to see.

jefff
06-30-2007, 04:44 AM
This is damn near impossible for me to pick, as this is one of my favorite genres and I could go on for days about classic B&W horror films. But my gut reaction was to say Dracula (1931). Bottom line is I used to watch this movie almost daily as a kid, and I idolized Lugosi for much of my childhood. It really is one of the movies that got me so much into the horror genre, and I still love it today just as much as I ever have. Bela's portrayal of Dracula will always remain timeless, and this will forever be a film that I will watch anytime & anywhere.

legz
06-30-2007, 05:25 AM
The Thing from Another Planet for me. This was a hard pick with all the great black and white Universal horror and scifi movies that were made.

Erick H.
06-30-2007, 07:12 AM
THE BLACK CAT with Bela Lugosi and Boris Karloff.This low budget effort looks truly unique thanks to it's art deco production design.The story in this one is REALLY twisted,it's crawling with phobias,hints of necrophilia and cold blooded revenge.Karloff is at his coolest while Bela (as close to a hero as you're gonna get in this thing) is filled with a lust for vengeance.One of the most offbeat horrors of the 30's and perhaps the best pairing of the eras two greatest horror icons.Look fast for John Carradine as an organist.Great,sick fun !

bwana the clown
06-30-2007, 07:16 AM
I'm going for the 1934 film 'Maniac' because it's vintage trash at its very best! One of the best things to come out of my 50 classic horror movie DVD set.

Numania
06-30-2007, 03:13 PM
I"'m going to agree with KamuiX, here. For pre-color horror, I'm going to pick The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari. I really dug the German expressionist sets. These added a strange and creepy atmosphere to the film. It was like a scary, live action Dr. Seuss movie. It also shows how talented the early filmmakers were. They conveyed this creepy, weird plot in a silent movie. Sure, there are title cards, but they're aren't these huge plot expositions through dialog. It's all there for the eyeballs to see and take in.

Plus, Cabinet was when I tried a new trick. I played an experimental music cd while watching it. Not only did it match the atmosphere perfectly, I swear it synched up. If anyone has Crawl Unit - Stop Listening, start it at five seconds in. It's radical. I think this added an extra element for me.

Katatonia
06-30-2007, 03:17 PM
Carnival of Souls, because it chills nipples every time.

Reverenddave
06-30-2007, 03:48 PM
The Haunting (1963) is the greatest horror movie of all time.

lakini71
06-30-2007, 04:07 PM
It's been mentioned already, but I'll have to say Fiend Without a Face as well. This scared the hell out of me as kid, and since I haven't seen it in years, I'm going to have to check it out again pretty soon. Ah, the memories...

Suicide
06-30-2007, 04:52 PM
There were color movies being made when it came out but I am going to say Eyes Without A Face. But if it has to be pre-anything color I would go with Bride of Frankenstein.

othervoice1
06-30-2007, 08:08 PM
Mine has to be 'The Wolfman" with Lon Chaney Jr- Still one of my top ten of all time to this day

moogong
06-30-2007, 08:35 PM
Creature from the Black Lagoon.

adric
06-30-2007, 09:37 PM
Im torn between Devil Doll(1964) and Freaks (1932) but im gonna go with Freaks since i know it was pre color

zompirejoe
07-01-2007, 03:10 AM
Phantom of the Opera ( 1925), great acting, special effects for the time period, a great story, and of course the fantastic Lon Chaney. I used to dub my old vhs copy of this with Twisted Sister, Iron Maiden, and Ozzy Osbourne and it would actually match the goings on of the movie. I love The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari too, but the original Phantom wins out.

DeathDealer
07-01-2007, 03:28 AM
Kaneto Shindo's masterpiece Samurai horror film, Onibaba. It'll tear you in two.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/138/402665973_6815766b17.jpg?v=0

Luna
07-01-2007, 05:41 AM
I'm going for the 1934 film 'Maniac' because it's vintage trash at its very best! One of the best things to come out of my 50 classic horror movie DVD set.Haha, I almost went with this one!

Darts of fire in my brain! Stabbing me! Agony! I can't stand this torture! This torment! I can't stand it! I won't! I won't! Agony! Agony!

Johnny Macabre
07-01-2007, 06:18 AM
There's a lot to choose from... Bride Of Frankenstein, Black Sunday and The Invisible Man come to mind. But mine would be the mexican movie THE BLACK PIT OF DR. M .

It's not a well known movie, but it deserve to be discovered! Casa Negra released it last year and I had the chance to discover it on DVD. It's a mix between mad scientist and a ghost story. You don't get more atmospheric than that!!!

http://www.horreur-web.com/blackpitofdrm.jpg

Chad
07-01-2007, 08:09 AM
Sure there's a virtual plethora of diverse cinema to choose from, but I'm going to have to agree with my avatar and go with Nosferatu.

<------

Nightbreed
07-01-2007, 04:28 PM
dont watch many of these but Nosferatu sticks with me

ZoSo
07-02-2007, 04:08 AM
http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=4687&stc=1&d=1183342109

stl7dust
07-02-2007, 09:53 PM
I'm going with a the german Der Golem. It's good to see where the inspiration for Frankenstein came from that mixes with what Mary Shelley gave us.

thrashard76
07-03-2007, 08:02 PM
http://images2.dvdempire.com/gen/movies/478898h.jpg

I'm going to say The Thing From Another World because the first time I saw it was on tv with my dad when I was around 10 years old. He said he remembered seeing this as a kid and liked it as well as the idea of something like that actually happening. Years later, I'd show him Carpenter's The Thing on DVD and he was surprised at how gross it was but how it stuck with the originals theme.

Ecstatica
07-03-2007, 08:21 PM
Carnival of Souls

CasEjonz
07-04-2007, 08:15 AM
I gotta go with herk harvey's low budget chiller Carnival of Souls. Holds up well 45 years later, was done on a major no-budget purse and was genius for its time, and above all was real scary and clever.

geeare
07-04-2007, 03:15 PM
Creature from the Black Lagoon

Ash J. Williams
07-04-2007, 07:59 PM
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari.

The film that defined a century of works.

Shannafey
07-05-2007, 12:00 AM
I don't usually agree with Dwatts, but I am now. I adore Fiend Without a Face. I loved it as a child and still love it to this day. I bought it immediately when it came out on DVD. It doesn't hold up real well in terms of effects, but it is an original concept and still a heck of a lot of fun to watch. I also love Creature from the Black Lagoon, so I'm with you guys on the board. I'm also a fan of the ultra cheesy From Hell it Came, despite the crappy walking tree creature. I guess the ones that you loved as a kid stay with you!

Workshed
07-05-2007, 03:46 PM
Since Noto already mentioned my beloved Cat People, I'm going to say its bizarre sequel, Curse of the Cat People. Ollie and Alice Reed didn't learn a single thing from the first film and turn their mental abuse to their daughter. An incredibly atmospheric film, and one I always want to watch once I finish the first.

Worth noting that the only cat we see is in the first minute or so, in a tree.

Evil Dead Guy
07-07-2007, 01:59 AM
Nosferatu (1922) because after all these years Count Orlok still creeps the hell out me, and Max Scheck will always be the number one vampire.

vexx
07-07-2007, 02:59 AM
Night of the living dead

Mortis
07-07-2007, 03:15 AM
Night of the Living Dead is fantastic.

X-human
07-07-2007, 06:50 AM
James Whale's Frankenstein

I almost wanted to say Doctor X for the hell of it, but then I realized it was in two-strip technicolor. LOL.

rhett
07-08-2007, 07:33 PM
We had 53 closet James Wan fans for this contest, and after a trip to RANDOM.ORG, here's our three winners:

bigdaddyhorse
marcx
Chad

I'm still waiting on the DVDs, but once they arrive I'll ship all three to you fine folks the package after I get your mailing address.

Thanks to everyone that entered - I am really enjoying these little contests, the more people from the site we get involved the better, so look for another one soon!

Workshed
07-09-2007, 12:26 AM
Congrats to the winners, and it was fun to read all the responses.

bigdaddyhorse
07-09-2007, 12:41 AM
Holy something-something!:eek1:
Until the last few months I've never won anything from random drawings, now 2 this summer (won "Mad" from dvdcompare, although I haven't got it yet. It does say wait 6-8 weeks on my 6/19 email)!

This calls for bananas, dance bitches!:D
:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

For the record, I'm not a "closet James Wan fan". I've liked both of his offerings and look forward to more. I only hope the t-shirt is as cool as that Hitcher shirt I won in that contest.:)

Thanks to God, my daddy's baby momma, my momma's baby daddy, Stacy, rhett and RANDOM.ORG. Extra thanks to horrordvds, the coolest site on the web (not kissing ass, I was saying that long before I ever won any contest). Couldn't have done it without ya'll.

thrashard76
07-09-2007, 07:29 AM
Congrats.

Katatonia
07-09-2007, 07:58 AM
Congrats to the three winners! :)

geeare
07-09-2007, 06:09 PM
Gratz everyone

MrKateB
07-09-2007, 06:35 PM
Congratulations to all three, but I'm especially happy for you, BigDaddy! All those bananas must mean it made you really happy! :)

marcx
07-09-2007, 09:37 PM
wow---thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

Do I need to send you more info?

Chad
07-10-2007, 07:18 AM
Yes, thanks!!

I really dig these creative contests over the same ol' standard "submit your info" forms most sites have. And there's lots of films I'll be checking out thanks to all the great recommendations from this thread. :cool:

Luna
07-10-2007, 08:53 AM
Congrats, guys! :D