PDA

View Full Version : Anchor Bay Blu-ray: Halloween, Evil Dead & of the Dead

X-human
07-06-2007, 09:36 PM
Too sweet:Starz/Anchor Bay has revealed new specs for its debut Blu-ray release 'Masters of Horror,' and has also provided a sneak peek at its planned launch wave of horror classics due this fall.

As first announced two weeks ago, Anchor Bay (aka Starz Home Entertainment) plans to debut its first-ever next-gen title with the Blu-ray exclusive release of 'Masters of Horror.'

Among the further details announced today, the company says 'Masters of Horror' will be packaged as a 'Complete First Season' box set this September (exact street date TBA).

Though final specs are still pending, word from the distributor is to expect a four-disc set of BD-50 dual-layer discs, featuring 1080p transfers, uncompressed PCM 5.1 audio and, if not identical supplements to the standard-def DVD, then "comparable extras."

Just as exciting, Starz has also sent us confirmation that they plan to debut three to four additional titles by the end of October, culled from their impressive library of horror classics. Among this first wave of Blu-ray titles will be John Carpenter's seminal 'Halloween,' plus installments of Sam Raimi's 'Evil Dead' series and George A. Romero's zombie pantheon (which includes 'Dawn of the Dead' and 'Day of the Dead').

Starz/Anchor Bay has not yet announced pricing details for its debut titles but stay tuned.

Each of the titles will be distributed under the MGM Home Entertainment banner, and in keeping with MGM's current Blu-ray exclusivity, none will be released to HD DVD at this time.http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Disc_Announcements/Starz/Starz/Anchor_Bay_Reveals_More_Masters_of_Horror_Specs,_H ints_at_Fall_Blu-ray_Slate/745

Probably Evil Dead 1 and Dawn of the Dead. Also there are reports that Anchor Bay is doing color correction on Halloween to satisfy complaints about the Divimax release. There will also be a SD re-release to tie in with the remake, which will probably be a down conversion of this new color corrected master. If these reports are true or not is something entirely different. ;) Hopefully some of the footage Don May Jr. found will be included as an extra or something.

I'll snatch up Halloween, either Evil Deads and Day of the Dead but if it is Dawn of the Dead I may just have to wait for the complete boxset. As much as I love Dawn I'm not going to double dip for it, if they want my money they need to release it right by matching their best SD-DVD release. And of course the MSRP better be $29.99.

17thJuggalo
07-06-2007, 10:19 PM
I'll let someone else be the guinea pig with these releases. If it turns out the reviews are good (and assuming I have blu-ray player by that time), I may pick one of these up. They better not fucking skimp on the extras.

X-human
07-17-2007, 12:51 AM
Release dates and cover art from DavisDVD:Starz Home Entertainment (previously Anchor Bay) has entered the high-def arena with exclusive support for the Blu-ray Disc format. The company's first titles out of the gate will be stalwart catalog titles Evil Dead II, John Carpenter's Halloween and George A. Romero's zombie flicks Dawn of the Dead and Day of the Dead, all due in stores on October 2nd.

The second wave of titles follows on October 16th and includes the first two volumes of Showtime's Masters of Horror anthology series, each featuring three tales from the first season. Volumes 3 & 4 follow on November 13th and December 11th, respectively. Also look for Beowulf & Grendel, starring 300's Gerard Butler, due on November 6th.

Although final specs are still pending, you can expect 1080p transfers, uncompressed PCM 5.1 audio and identical supplements ported over from the standard definition DVD releases. Retail pricing is set at $29.97 per disc.Sweet. You can bet your ass I'll be picking up Day of the Dead, Halloween and Evil Dead 2. I'll play it safe on Dawn and MoH, seeing if they'll release box sets of either.

Spitfire
07-17-2007, 12:54 AM
:banana:

Ash28M
07-17-2007, 04:37 AM
Well I just picked up a PS3 so if the reviews are good these are 3 films I would have no problem upgrading.

Grim
07-17-2007, 06:56 PM
Yes!!!

Severn
07-17-2007, 08:54 PM
Excellent News!

Wez4555
07-18-2007, 07:47 PM
inless these transfers are mind blowing, i have no reason to upgrade.

latenite
07-23-2007, 09:45 PM
Awesome! I knew I made the right decision to go with Blu-ray! High-def horror, woo-hoo!!! :banana:

latenite
07-23-2007, 09:51 PM
inless these transfers are mind blowing, i have no reason to upgrade.

I'm hoping Starz uses the new Dawn and Day of the Dead transfers, a new transfer of ED2, and a new color-corrected transfer of Halloween. If they do, I'll be one happy camper. Those are some great looking transfers.

rxfiend
07-23-2007, 11:40 PM
I'm surprised they aren't releasing Night of the Living Dead.

buck135
07-24-2007, 12:44 AM
I don't think have the rights to Night of the Living Dead.

dwatts
07-24-2007, 12:47 AM
I thought EVERYONE had the rights to Night of the Living Dead. :lol:

buck135
07-24-2007, 02:46 AM
Good point. :)

jefff
07-24-2007, 03:14 AM
seeing NOTLD in high-def would just be plain wrong.

rxfiend
07-24-2007, 09:16 AM
I rather have Starz do it than some PD company. Heck, are there even any PD companies releasing HD stuff?

X-human
09-12-2007, 12:51 AM
Specs from AB:On October 2nd, Anchor Bay Entertainment will unleash a new way of looking at horror – with the first Anchor Bay titles released in Blu-ray high definition! Classics like John Carpenter’s Halloween, George A. Romero’s Dawn of the Dead and Day of the Dead, along with Sam Raimi’s Evil Dead II are faithfully preserved with 1080p transfers and uncompressed PCM 5.1 audio.

On October 16th, the Emmy™ and Saturn™ award winning horror anthology “Masters of Horror” starts its transition to Blu-ray with two volumes, each containing three bone-chilling episodes from the anthology series that redefined the genre!

The final specs for Anchor Bay Entertainment’s first Blu-ray releases are now available. Starting on Tuesday, October 2nd:

DAWN OF THE DEAD

Tech specs:

BD-50 dual layer
1080p AVC MPEG-4 transfer
1.85 Anamorphic
Uncompressed 5.1 PCM
Dolby Surround 2.0
Original Mono
Bonus features:

Audio Commentary with Writer/Director George A. Romero, Special Make-up Effects Artist Tom Savini, Assistant Director Chris Romero and DVD Producer Perry Martin
Fast Film Facts – Blu-ray exclusive feature!
The Dead Will Walk Featurette
On-Set Home Movies
Monroeville Mall Tour
U.S. & International Trailers
U.S. & U.K. TV Spots
U.S. & U.K. Radio Spots
Monroeville Mall Commercial
Anchor Bay Blu-ray Preview – Presented in high definition!

Street Date: October 2, 2007
Pre-Book: August 30, 2007
Catalog #: N3008
UPC : 0-1313-83008-8 1
Run Time: 127 Minutes
Rating: Not Rated
SRP : $29.97

DAY OF THE DEAD

BD-50 dual layer
1.85 Anamorphic
Uncompressed 5.1 PCM
Dolby Surround 2.0
Original Mono
Bonus features:

Audio Commentary with Writer/Director George A. Romero, Special Make-up Effects Artist Tom Savini, Production Designer Cletus Anderson, and Actress Lori Cardille
Audio Commentary with Filmmaker Roger Avary
“The Many Days of Day of the Dead” Featurette
Behind The Scenes
Audio Interview with Richard Liberty
U.S. & International Trailers
U.S. & U.K. TV Spots
U.S. & U.K. Radio Spots
Gateway Commerce Center Promo

Catalog #: N3005
UPC : 0-1313-83005-8 4
Run Time: 110 Minutes

EVIL DEAD II

BD-50 dual layer
1.85 Anamorphic
Uncompressed 5.1 PCM
Dolby Digital 5.1
Bonus features:

Audio Commentary with Writer/Director Sam Raimi, Star Bruce Campbell, Co-Writer Scott Spiegel and Special Make-up Effects Artist Greg Nicotero
Evil Dead II: Behind The Screams Featurette
The Gore The Merrier Featurette
Theatrical Trailer

Catalog #: N3006
UPC : 0-1313-83006-8 3
Run Time: 84 Minutes

HALLOWEEN

BD-50 dual layer
2.35 Anamorphic
Uncompressed 5.1 PCM
Dolby Digital 5.1
Bonus features:

Audio Commentary with Writer/Director John Carpenter, Actress Jamie Lee Curtis, and Producer Debra Hill
Halloween: A Cut Above The Rest Featurette
Trailer
TV Spots
Radio Spots
The screams continue in high resolution on Tuesday, October 16th:

Catalog #: N3007
UPC : 0-1313-83007-8 2
Run Time: 127 Minutes
Rating: R

MASTERS OF HORROR V1

Episodes: CIGARETTE BURNS, DREAMS IN THE WITCH HOUSE, FAIR HAIRED CHILD

BD-50 dual layer
1080i AVC MPEG-4 transfer
1.77 Anamorphic
Uncompressed 5.1 PCM
Dolby Surround 5.1

Bonus features:
Audio Commentary with Director John Carpenter on CIGARETTE BURNS
Audio Commentary with Writers Drew McWeeny & Scott Swan on CIGARETTE BURNS
Audio Commentary with Writer/Director Stuart Gordon, Actor Ezra Godden and DVD Producer Perry Martin on DREAMS IN THE WITCH HOUSE
Audio Commentary with Writer Matt Greenberg and Director William Malone on FAIR HAIRED CHILD

Street Date: October 16, 2007
Pre-Book: September 13, 2007
Catalog #: N3009
UPC : 0-1313-83009-8 0
Run Time: 169 Minutes

MASTERS OF HORROR V2

Episodes: JENIFER, SICK GIRL, DEER WOMAN

BD-50 dual layer
1080i AVC MPEG-4 transfer
1.77 Anamorphic
Uncompressed 5.1 PCM
Dolby Surround 5.1

Bonus features:

Audio Commentary with Writer/Actor Steven Weber and DVD Producer Perry Martin on JENIFER
Audio Commentary with Director Lucky McKee, Composer Jaye Barnes Luckett and Actors Angela Bettis and Jesse Hlubik on SICK GIRL
Audio Commentary with Actors Brian Benben and Anthony Griffith on DEER WOMAN

Street Date: October 16, 2007
Pre-Book: September 13, 2007
Catalog #: N3010
UPC : 0-1313-83010-8 6
Run Time: 175 Minutes

I'll be getting ED2 and Day of the Dead for certain. I'll wait for a review on Halloween and for Dawn of the Dead wait for the Ultimate boxset. Hopefully Halloween will have its color timing corrected, rumor has it it will but I'll hold off on it to be certain. It's too bad these really big releases have question marks over them. But who knows, maybe Day will even have the audio correct?

Great news though about the video transfers in MPEG-4 utilizing the 50 GBs with uncompressed PCM. At first I had a "better than nothing" opinion on these, but they're looking to be top notch.

X-human
09-15-2007, 08:58 PM
Review of the upcoming Halloween disc:However, I doubt that you ever have seen "Halloween" quite like on this Blu-Ray Disc from Anchor Bay Entertainment. While the DVD versions did a great job in terms of color reproduction and overall clarity, this high definition transfer adds an entire new dimension of detail to the presentation. It is safe to say that the look removes all signs of age from the movie, making it look as if it were shot yesterday. I swear, if you give it its first look you will not believe that you are watching a film that is close to 30 years old!
The transfer is incredibly sharp and holds every bit of detail, even in murky and underlit conditions. I thought the restored DVD version was amazing – until I saw this Blu-Ray version. Prepare yourself to count the lines on the wallpaper in the Myers house, for example, as every bit of the wallpaper pattern and texture is clearly visible. You will single blades of grass in the shots of Laurie walking home from school and you can count the leaves on the trees. Unbelievably, this transfer adds another level of detail to the presentation that you thought was pristine before. I can't even put into words, how fans of the movie will enjoy this!http://www.dvdreview.com/reviews/pages/2682.shtml

The reviewer seems blissfully unaware of the color problems on the Divimax DVD. Way to do your homework jerkwad. I swear they just use templates and insert names.

Bottom line this review doesn't answer THEE question; is it color timed correctly per the DP Dean Cundey's involvement? But it shows at least there's plenty of detail left to be squeezed from the original film.

wago70
09-16-2007, 12:55 AM
I can't wait for the Horrordvds.com reviews - I'm sure they'll clarify.

DeathSquad
09-16-2007, 02:40 AM
I read on another forum that color has been corrected

X-human
09-19-2007, 12:11 AM
^ Looks like it, but I NEED some screenshots. I have to see it to believe it, but it looks like Don May Jr.'s on the case:I guess the big question is...

Has the blue lighting, present in the original Dean Cundey approved DVD version of HALLOWEEN from Anchor Bay Entertainment, been restored properly?

In the later ABE "DiviMax" version, all the blue lighting was timed-out, which was a huge mistake (the DiviMax version was a new transfer done and NOT approved by Cundey). Hopefully, the blue lighting has been properly restored to the Blu-Ray disc, otherwise the release will be a huge disappointment for me. (fingers crossed)

And, speaking from experience (I have viewed some of the original HALLOWEEN 35mm negative trims that we currently have in our possession), the blue lighting was certainly intended to be there.

[Someone quotes a reviewer saying it had blue night scenes.]

Understood, but the color timing of the DiviMax version was off on more than just the blue lighting. If memory serves (and it sure has been failing of late), even the "fall palette" color timing was off on the outdoor scenes as well and, since the review doesn't specifically say that the blue tinting was corrected, I just felt the need to ask. The timing on the Blu-Ray version could certainly have been improved in other ways than the blue lighting.

I have just heard, from someone close to the ABE folks, that, yeah, the blue tinting has indeed been corrected, but I've yet to see it for myself. I am extremely excited by the news of HALLOWEEN being presented in high-def in the proper color timing and I can't wait to get mine. (Amazon, please hurry up and ship it!)! LOL!http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/showthread.php?t=262384

This review link is from Robert Harris, but as he himself says "I don't know what cinematographer Dean Cundey's intentions were." He does confirm it's an amazing transfer. Too god damn sweet.

Though I'm still going to have to wait for official words directly from someone at AB or wait for someone with enough in the know like Don May before I order.

Reports are that ED2 and Dawn look pitch perfect, all containing the original mono sound as well. Looks like AB got it right the first time.

Regurgitate
09-19-2007, 03:02 AM
I got all the Starz Blu Rays on pre-order. Well, all except the Masters Of Horror discs. I had a feeling that these releases would be done proper because talk about shooting yourself in the foot putting out sub-standard material a year into the high-def formats lifecycle. This is different than DVD by a huge margin because you can't get away with using old masters, especially now, since the intended medium for viewing is an HDTV. Is this a guarantee of quality? No, but the main purchasers of this content will have a higher expectation and any sup par releases will be mocked thoroughly. Unlike DVD where the masses bought discs with shitty transfers, totally jizzing in their pants, and then be totally confused by or even hostile towards a vocal minority who were criticizing the hell out of the transfers. A consumer base that was content with mediocre presentation really held back DVD in my opinion. I am just hoping that all those Italian classics that got the shit end of the stick can finally get proper treatment. Another bonus of the high def format is that there will no longer those pesky PAL to NTSC conversions that tended to ruin a somewhat decent transfer. I can’t wait to see what Starz will release next, and at what pace it will be at.

X-human
09-22-2007, 10:22 PM
Looks like the BD's color timing is greatly improved over the Divimax release, but still NOT like the THX release: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=911963

I'll quote Don May to sum it up:OK, well, if the "blue tint" ain't back it IS wrong. Dammit.

I guess I'll have to wait and see for myself, but I'm now no longer excited to see this disc like I was before.

I mean, it's so stupid... after the fuss was originally raised with the colors being off on the DiviMax edition, they could've at least tried to go back in and perform a tape-to-tape color correction and adjust the blue imagery to try and get it at least CLOSE to what it was supposed to be. All they would've had to do was put the Dean Cundey master up on a monitor and used it as a guide to change the DiviMax master to the Cundey approved color timing! I know it bothered ABE a bit about the problem of the blue lighting being timed out because someone at the company called me and asked me for my opinion and quizzed me on how much I thought it would cost to fix. I even offered my services to supervise the fix for them! Of course, nothing ever came of it and they didn't get back to me on my offer.

I'm sure ABE didn't go in and do an all-new high-def transfer for the BD version since they had the DiviMax one.... but, really, it would not have cost THAT much to fix the color timing. Are we ever going to see a real, honest-to-goshen "definitive" release of this thing?http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/showthread.php?t=262384&page=2

Very frustrating, probably won't get a second shot at this for awhile either.

It's hard to say how accurate the THX release really was though. It may have been a rush job with limited technology and perhaps not truly what Dean Cundey wanted. It's happened before.

Grim
09-28-2007, 07:32 AM
So I was doing a comparison with the Day of the Dead Blu-ray features and the ones included in my two disc set, appears to be nearly identical. I guess I can sell it off. Well, I'll keep the neat booklet and stick it in the Blu-ray case.

Stige
09-28-2007, 07:54 AM
region A , guess that leaves me out , no reason to upgrade for a blu ray player yet

X-human
09-28-2007, 05:08 PM
^ Where'd you read that? That would suck but may explain why AB went with Blu-ray. Hopefully some region hacks will start making their way out there.

Bad news for Day of the Dead is that the 5.1 sound still has the TV censored dialog in it. Good news is that reportedly the mono track is the uncensored original theatrical track. So at least the true theatrical presentation is still intact. I'll be buying Day, I'm lukewarm on ED2 (doubt they'll do a better job), will skip Halloween till they do it right and will wait for the Ultimate set for Dawn.

Fistfuck
09-28-2007, 06:20 PM
I don't know about everyone else, but a film like ED or ED2 does not excite me to see a hi def version of. There are just certain films that lose something in the pristine clarity of digital transfers, something both gained and lost in the organicness of a film print. Of course I'm referencing the oft-referenced blatantness of some of the special effects that is now noticeable thanks to digital prints that weren't noticeable on VHS. Will I ever go back to VHS just so I DON'T see the matte lines around the moon in the first ED? Probably not. But I think a good majority of us agree that a certain feeling and atmosphere was lost when some of our favorites made the leap from analog to digital. It may be a generational thing, affecting those of us who grew up with VHS. Somehow the murkiness of a washed-out rented VHS copy of Texas Chainsaw made the whole experience grittier and scarier. No, we should never again have to deal with the horrible versions of Dead & Buried and the last reel of The Prowler, but maybe enough is a enough for films under a certain budget.

X-human
09-28-2007, 06:41 PM
^ Well a lot lot of stuff like wires and mattes can be cleaned up, rather cheaply too. Instead they spend their money to add EE, DNR the hell out of it and cooking up half baked audio remixes which only create more errors the modern viewers chock up to the original film's low budget. To a certain extent producers feel that ED2 is what is it, the audience "expects" to see the stick holding up the flying eye ball because it's just a "bad movie." They don't give a damn, and most viewers agree.

Grim
09-29-2007, 03:53 AM
^ Well a lot lot of stuff like wires and mattes can be cleaned up, rather cheaply too. Instead they spend their money to add EE, DNR the hell out of it and cooking up half baked audio remixes which only create more errors the modern viewers chock up to the original film's low budget. To a certain extent producers feel that ED2 is what is it, the audience "expects" to see the stick holding up the flying eye ball because it's just a "bad movie." They don't give a damn, and most viewers agree.

Well in terms of the Evil Dead 2 scene you referenced, I've seen that stick in every copy I've owned, from my old VHS from the early 90's all the way up to the AB special edition. Like you said though a lot of it can be cleaned up, but isn't. I believe George Lucas did that with his special editions of the original Star Wars trilogy, which was one of the few good things about those releases. The technological limitations of the film's budget really doesnt hinder the experience for me. I love the film for what it is and what it is trying to present to me.

Jason25
10-04-2007, 01:28 AM
Watched Dawn last night, looked good.

I picked up Halloween, Dawn Of The Dead, and Day Of The Dead. Not a huge Evil Dead 2 fan, so I thought I'd hold off on that one.

Curious to check out Halloween and see how it looks.

Nemesis
10-04-2007, 04:18 AM
I've read reviews on Halloween that say it suffers from the same colour issues that their divimax edition suffered from.. having said that, i will still most likely pick it up because i am an upgrade junkie

Mikey Horror
02-23-2014, 09:12 PM
Looks like Anchor Bay is releasing Evil Dead again on May 20th.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00IF8Q0YE/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?ASIN=B00IF8Q0YE&SubscriptionId=AKIAIY4YSQJMFDJATNBA&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00IF8Q0YE&linkCode=xm2&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&redirect=true&ref_=&tag=bluray-012-20&tag=bluray-012-20

dave13
02-23-2014, 09:40 PM
if there's no announcement or hubbub surrounding it, maybe it's just a repackaging of the initial release? new cover or something...

Mikey Horror
02-23-2014, 09:48 PM
Most likely a repackage. It would be nice if they put all of the past supplimentals and bonus features in one nifty and convenient package, but I'm not getting my hopes up, after all, this is Anchor Bay we're talking about.

zbinks
02-23-2014, 10:08 PM
Looks like Anchor Bay is releasing Evil Dead again on May 20th.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00IF8Q0YE/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?ASIN=B00IF8Q0YE&SubscriptionId=AKIAIY4YSQJMFDJATNBA&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00IF8Q0YE&linkCode=xm2&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&redirect=true&ref_=&tag=bluray-012-20&tag=bluray-012-20

I have a feeling it's just a straight repackaging of the existing Blu-Ray with a new UPC and a slightly lower MSRP. Anchor Bay's also releasing new editions of Django Unchained, Killing Them Softly, Law Abiding Citizen, Lawless, The Lords of Salem, and a Steve Austin 4-pack that day with a $17.99 MSRP each.

spawningblue
03-02-2014, 04:57 PM
I have a feeling it's just a straight repackaging of the existing Blu-Ray with a new UPC and a slightly lower MSRP. Anchor Bay's also releasing new editions of Django Unchained, Killing Them Softly, Law Abiding Citizen, Lawless, The Lords of Salem, and a Steve Austin 4-pack that day with a $17.99 MSRP each.

These are all apparently re-releases as steelbooks.