PDA

View Full Version : Is rap crap?

Demon Tech
11-08-2001, 12:52 AM
Vote now

mutleyhyde
11-08-2001, 01:07 AM
Sorry DT, that's far too general a question for me. I voted no, because while there certainly is quite a lot of bad rap out there, I think there is a lot of good rap too. Same with all genres of music; there's good and bad in all areas.

The killer stuff I used to get into...
Ice T
Public Enemy
Sugar Hill
Beastie Boys
3rd Bass
and, just for laffs, The 2 Live Crew :D

moogong
11-08-2001, 01:19 AM
alot or rap just sucks or is a rip-off of older stuff. I think Dr. Dre and Eminen are the best out there now. I love the Beastie Boys but they need to return to the classic sound.

thrashard76
11-08-2001, 01:31 AM
I like Eminem, Cypress Hill and some Dr. Dre. I like the older groups like Run D.M.C., Iced T, Beastie Boys, Public Enemy etc. The new stuff sounds to much the same. I think there should be more hardcore shocking and radical rap. This stuff they play nowadays sounds more like R&B and Soul more so than rap. Rap music is good if you do it right.

Demon Tech
11-08-2001, 02:28 AM
I don't like most rap. Why? The main reason most think they are bad asses and they are not. They think they are gangsters, not even close. A real gangster does not say shit, you are just dead.
Hell it won't be too long before we find out Dr. Dre went to Oxford Uni and is the younger brother of barbra strisand. I do like these rap groups though.

OutKast
Ja Rule (as long as he is not trying to wanna be
Eve
Little Kim

moogong
11-08-2001, 02:41 AM
Demon...

Eve is the best out there......and sexy to boot!!

Hellbilly
11-08-2001, 03:10 AM
I used to hear a lot of rap. Stuff like Kurtis Blow, Sugarhill Gang, UTFO, Run DMC, Salt-N-Pepa, Ice-T, Rudy Ray Moore (tha godfather), i also had three limited color vynil albums of the FUNK YOU series (hardcore rap, i sold them a few years ago for a hefty price), hell, i even made my own little rap and taped it :D.

thrashard76
11-08-2001, 04:31 AM
This the best old school rap group. Today...I think Eve is the best.

Erg0n
11-08-2001, 08:23 AM
rap is crap. well commercial rap is crap. i hope p.diddy dies and no limit and that other bling bling shit that's polluting our airwaves. Note* I don't only hate rap. country is crap, but some of the women are fine.

slinker
11-08-2001, 10:45 AM
The main reason most think they are bad asses and they are not
Have to agree on that one Demon...id love to fight Enimen, id kick his scrawny little ass!

Peter Vincent
11-08-2001, 03:44 PM
1st of all, I'm a child of the 80's...2ndly, believe it or not, 'ol Pete here was born & raised in a little town called Brooklyn, NY (ya might've heard of it). Old skool hip-hop wuz part of my everyday life....KRS One, Special Ed, Tribe Called Quest, Pharcyde, Big Daddy Kane, Public Enemy & Stetsasonic were just a few I grew up listening to every day!!!

The new "rap", I must admit, I'm not too crazy about! Back in the day hip-hop wuz more about havin' a good time, rappin' about the streets & makin' people shake dat *SS!!! Now, its more about "ridin' my beemer" or "my 5-6 hoes licking my..." or "Ya dat nig.. 's dead!" type sh*t & I'm not too into dat stuff! The new stuff is also more meant to BOOM in your car as opposed to going to a hip-hop club & dancin'! (granted, there are exceptions). Nonetheless, make mine old school flava!

So for the record, I voted no...its not crap! But a lot of the new school is!

maybrick
11-08-2001, 04:20 PM
I don't even listen to rap, but I still won't acknowledge it as crap. Granted some or most of it is, but the same goes with other genres. Because it gets so much airplay on MTV I might be tempted to say it is crap, but then again, it's been years since I've seriously tried to watch MTV. They hardly play videos anymore anyways. What it comes down to is I like what I like and others like what they like. As long as they don't bitch about what I listen to, I'll have the courtesy to not do the same. Rap is music and music is art and to me art will never be crap because even if it's not to my liking it still has value. On top of that, the whole "rap is crap" debate I been hearing for years has always had a tinge of racism in it so I'll just stop there.

cjg
11-08-2001, 06:37 PM
Most music today is crap Music started to become crap with the advent of MTV back in the 80s its not about the sound anymore its about how you look By the way what is this months flavor

thrashard76
11-08-2001, 07:51 PM
Groups like Beastie Boys and Run D.M.C. were very good back in the day but they used a lot of samples and borrowed from rock and metal groups too. They stayed in the frame work of rap but weren't afraid to explore other music genres. That is why I like these older bands better.

moogong
11-08-2001, 08:20 PM
using samples was good back in the day but way to many artist do it now.....only they call it remixing.

thrashard76
11-08-2001, 08:30 PM
I don't have any problem with sampling except when the artist doesn't credit the originator's work. That just sucks and is illegal.
If the whole / most of a song is sampled then it's more of a cover song to me than an original piece even if it has totally new lyrics.

Samples can enhance an idea but the artist needs to be tasteful and not over do it.

moogong
11-08-2001, 08:38 PM
I have never heard of an artist using a sample and not crediting the originators work.....I do see all the time somebody using a sample to ride the other artist coattails.
I like it better when an artist refrenses his older works in a song.....

Yowie
11-08-2001, 10:52 PM
It's crap. Me and Ian Paice (drummer in Deep Purple) think so. And so is dance, techno and soul pop. Bloody awful it is, the lot of it. -I hope there are no Mariah Carey fans on this board !. :D

Gnaghi
11-08-2001, 11:29 PM
check out people under the stairs and ugly duckling...

Mark Relford
11-08-2001, 11:52 PM
There's good rap out there.
I'm a big fan of the Ultramagnetic MC's (That includes Kool Keith's solo projects.) I have a soft spot for N.W.A.'s Straight Outta Compton album. For old school lovers, The Sugar Hill Records Story is a must.

BTW, this forum is for horror polls only.

MISFITZ
11-09-2001, 07:25 PM
Same as above, I like a lot of the older rap sounds I grew up with. A lot of that Brooklyn scene too. MC SHAN, BIG DADDY KANE, BDP, THE BIZ also, BEASTIE BOYS, ERIC B, COOL J, RUN DMC, etc...

and I did like EAZY-E, NWA, Old SNOOP, ICE-T / Body Count, GETO BOYS and stuff.

But I don't like all that P. DIDDY / JAY-Z stuff or all that samplin' or all that wanna-be gangsta stuff. Never liked BIGGIE or TUPAC.

Don't listen to too much rap, but currently like:

METHOD MAN / REDMAN / OUTKAST / 'CUBE

Dre has already stated most of that talk is just for sales. He tuned it down on his 2nd solo, "Been there, done that", but his wife said to go back to being "raunchy" cuz it sells.

Erg0n
11-10-2001, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by Gnaghi
check out people under the stairs and ugly duckling...

whoa! a man who knows hiphop, that's a rarity.
I too like ugly duckling.

Agent Z
11-18-2001, 09:35 AM
While there are some catchy rap songs out there, I don't know if I would ever consider rap/hip hop as a true form of musicianship, due to the sampling aspect. I mean, what, besides the lyrics, are truly original in rap music? Taking a hook from another song and remixing it does not impress me as terribly creative. What's worse is that younger audiences are hearing these sampled creations and thinking of them as original. My little brother came up to me and begged me to hear this incredible song that "was the best music" he ever heard.........it was Puff Daddy's "Come to Me" from the Godzilla soundtrack (which used a sample from Led Zeppelin's classic "Kashmir")........I then asked my brother if he knew about Led Zeppelin.....and of course he followed with a "Huh!?!"....*LOL*.........sad....it was really sad.......so..in closing..I would say that I like some rap in the same way that I enjoy fast food.....it is fine at the time and even tasty to boot....but it does nothing more than give me a temporary fast fix.....and it has no comparison to the actual, fulfilling feast that other, more original music provides.......

moogong
11-18-2001, 03:17 PM
MISSIONCODEZ

Do your brother a big favor and get him the Led Zepplin box set....he will thank you when he's older
:D

thrashard76
11-19-2001, 07:56 AM
...and The Police box set too...lots of "nu-rap songs" are getting the remixed treatment. Sting may not mind people sampling but I for one am satisfied with the originals.;) :)