PDA

View Full Version : Halloween comes (again) this August

rhett
08-01-2007, 06:34 PM
John Carpenter's masterpiece is getting yet ANOTHER release from Anchor Bay, this time to coincide with Rob Zombie's upcoming remake. Not to worry though, faithful fans who've bought either the old HALLOWEEN restoration in its many incarnations or the new 25th Anniversary Edition. This new edition is merely a repacking of the single disc downsizing of the original restoration (with just Michael's face on the THX approved original), but this time with an embossed and reflective new slipcase. If you ever wanted to see your reflection in Michael's knife, now you can. His eyes glow and those veins on his iconic knife clenching hand even stand out. Anchor Bay must have had plenty of old stock to get rid of, and this should get the job done with all the publicity for Zombie's take.

http://horrordvds.com/vb3forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=4709&stc=1&d=1185989612

The disc will street on August 14th for $14.99. All will be carved.

dwatts
08-01-2007, 06:40 PM
Isn't it hitting hi-def at around the same time?

Grim
08-01-2007, 07:03 PM
I believe October 2nd is when the Blu-ray release is supposed to hit shelves. That sucker will be mine.

satans-sadists
08-01-2007, 07:07 PM
So how many times now has Halloween been reissued on dvd? I'm guessing it probably beats the Evil Dead series at this point?

dwatts
08-01-2007, 07:11 PM
Well, Evil Dead hi-def comes out the same time, I think. :D

satans-sadists
08-01-2007, 07:17 PM
Well, Evil Dead hi-def comes out the same time, I think. :D

Some things never change with Anchor Bay. :)

rhett
08-01-2007, 07:20 PM
So how many times now has Halloween been reissued on dvd? I'm guessing it probably beats the Evil Dead series at this point?
It definitely beats THE EVIL DEAD. By my count:

original Anchor Bay P&S monstrosity
2 disc limited edition
single disc limited edition (lenticular)
single disc (with Michael face)
single disc extended cut
25th anniversary
Halloween horror slipcase
new shiny slipcase

There's probably another version I'm missing, but that's 8 different releases. Nice.

Dave
08-01-2007, 11:40 PM
I'm torn on buying these high-def releases. I don't have HD player, but someday I will. Halloween and Evil Dead play on Monsters HD all the time, but on the off chance AB loses the rights, I can see these going sky high in value. But on the other hand, AB knows they are cash bows and will most likely keep them around.

othervoice1
08-01-2007, 11:48 PM
I am so mad at anchor bay/Starz for only backing blu ray right now and not hd-dvd (pout)

maybrick
08-02-2007, 12:45 AM
I'm torn on buying these high-def releases. I don't have HD player, but someday I will. Halloween and Evil Dead play on Monsters HD all the time, but on the off chance AB loses the rights, I can see these going sky high in value. But on the other hand, AB knows they are cash bows and will most likely keep them around.

Well, think about the dawning of DVD and how many people may have bought AB's crappy first Halloween DVD on the idea that they would own a player "someday". How many of them were happy to see a superior edition released shortly after, or even before, that day actually came?

dwatts
08-02-2007, 12:47 AM
No - these are the last versions that will ever be released. Honest. AND THEY'RE LIMITED!!!!

othervoice1
08-02-2007, 02:49 AM
so whatever happened to all that stuff they found in a box that was almost thrown out ect ect regarding Halloween- wasnt there like deleted scenes and stuff and if so are there any plans to release that on dvd

evildeadfan123
08-02-2007, 12:16 PM
I have the Limited Edition and 25th Anniversary Editions of Halloween. I think I will pass on this edition.

satans-sadists
08-02-2007, 07:36 PM
No - these are the last versions that will ever be released. Honest. AND THEY'RE LIMITED!!!!

The last version to be released before next year's 30TH ANNIVERSARY KILLER BOX EDITION. :lol:

horrorlover
08-02-2007, 09:09 PM
I will be picking this one up, I have yet to buy Halloween on dvd ( I had it on vhs), but I can't see this being a buy for anyone who already has it on dvd. I agree though they way overdo the releases, I mean at least 8 times it's been put out that's just crazy!

maybrick
08-02-2007, 10:05 PM
I can't really consider this a "re-release" though. It's the same release that never went out of print sporting a new slip cover over the shrink wrap. Underneath that it's absolutely identical in every sense.

othervoice1
08-03-2007, 12:35 AM
I have the limited edition 2 disc set still- with the tv and theatre versions- pretty happy with it even though id be tempted if hd-dvd actually got a release for it instead of just blu-ray

hellraiser40
08-03-2007, 01:29 AM
well, I have it on DVD at the moment, but only in 4:3 (shudder) and I believe that i've never seen it in widescreen!

maybrick
08-03-2007, 01:38 AM
I held it in my hands yesterday, and I must say it is a pretty attractive slipcase. For what it's worth.

fceurich39
08-04-2007, 04:48 PM
so whatever happened to all that stuff they found in a box that was almost thrown out ect ect regarding Halloween- wasnt there like deleted scenes and stuff and if so are there any plans to release that on dvd

well 2008 is the 30th anniversary so i am sure we will be getting a 30th anniversary release maybe with some of the stuff found in the boxes and hopefully a remastered television version and hopdfully it's a very long shot i know halloween 6 producer's cut

KR~!
08-04-2007, 04:57 PM
don't worry if you miss this one, there should be at least 20 to 30 more re-leases before long.

ducktree
08-11-2007, 03:55 AM
No movie cash for the remake with this new release? That always seems to be a great perk for people to buy new versions regardless of how many other versions are already out there.

Matt89
08-11-2007, 04:33 AM
LOL so basically someone's gonna spend maybe $15 on a re-issue of a movie that they already have for a a "free" movie ticket that would cost them maybe $9 or $10 without having to buy a stupid re-issue. Seems really fucking stupid that someone would buy a re-issue of a movie they already have just for a movie ticket that costs them more than the price of a normal ticket anyway.

~Matt

rhett
08-11-2007, 06:36 AM
Now, since Dimension owns the rights to the franchise, it would have been better to have a HALLOWEEN 6 in anamorphic with a movie ticket. Hell, let's add the producer's cut too, just to make it completely and utterly impossible.

maybrick
08-11-2007, 06:46 AM
People complain about Anchor Bay double dipping, but just once I'd like to see Miramax/Dimension do it. I can't think of a single horror movie that they released on DVD in the 90s that they've since revisited. SCREAM and HALLOWEEN H20 were huge hits for them. Why aren't they worth anamorphic transfers?

Noto
08-11-2007, 07:21 AM
People complain about Anchor Bay double dipping, but just once I'd like to see Miramax/Dimension do it. I can't think of a single horror movie that they released on DVD in the 90s that they've since revisited. SCREAM and HALLOWEEN H20 were huge hits for them. Why aren't they worth anamorphic transfers?

The Faculty
Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers
Halloween H20
Hellraiser: Bloodlines
Scream - Director's Cut

If Dimension re-released these in 16x9 I would come calling immediately.

VenicuS
08-11-2007, 11:37 AM
Nice list, Noto. I for one would hope that if Halloween 6 ever sees a re-release that the powers that be (still the Weinsteins, I assume), would have the decency to include the "Producer's Cut". I'd like it see it in a formation other than a semi-fuzzy 3rd generation convention copy.

Grim
08-11-2007, 05:03 PM
Yeah I still haven't bought both The Faculty or Curse of Michael Myers in hopes of better DVD releases in the future.

Bad_Ronald_1983
08-15-2007, 04:49 AM
So how does this 'Movie Cash' thing work? Is it a free ticket to the movie? Or a discount on the ticket?

Thanks.
-MATT-

fceurich39
08-15-2007, 05:40 PM
The Faculty
Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers
Halloween H20
Hellraiser: Bloodlines
Scream - Director's Cut

If Dimension re-released these in 16x9 I would come calling immediately.

all of those need new dvd special editions as all of those have alot of deleted/tv scenes and alternate versions i heard hellraiser bloodline was like halloween curse of michael myers in terms of a totally different movie but a producer's/alternate cut never surfaced

boycrieswolf
08-23-2007, 12:24 AM
LOL so basically someone's gonna spend maybe $15 on a re-issue of a movie that they already have for a a "free" movie ticket that would cost them maybe $9 or $10 without having to buy a stupid re-issue. Seems really fucking stupid that someone would buy a re-issue of a movie they already have just for a movie ticket that costs them more than the price of a normal ticket anyway.

~Matt

Good point. In case anyone is interested, I went to my local best buy yesterday (Merced, CA) and they're offering the remake movie ticket inside the halloween 4 and 5 dvds as well as this newly released version of the original. Might be a good deal for someone who has yet to purchase part 4 or 5. Cheers!

rxfiend
08-23-2007, 12:59 AM
all of those need new dvd special editions as all of those have alot of deleted/tv scenes and alternate versions i heard hellraiser bloodline was like halloween curse of michael myers in terms of a totally different movie but a producer's/alternate cut never surfaced

there's a workprint of Hellraiser 4 out there. it's quite a bit different than the theatrical cut, as expected. there's a dedicated hellraiser site out there (url escapes me at the moment) with pictures and video clips from this workprint.

spawningblue
08-23-2007, 01:09 PM

~Matt

I think it's for people that don't own it, and aren't huge fans that have to have the best edition. if you didn't own it, and wanted to check out the original before you saw the remake, it's only costing you like $5 to buy it. Not much more then renting it. Atleast it will get some newbies checking it out, and hopefully appreciating the original for the greatness that it is.

and yes, it sucks they didn't come out with an ultimate edition with the colours fixed and the extra footage they found. but again, how many times do we have to buy this movie, it has been released a gazillion times already. I think they should just hold off and released an ultimate edition when there is a clear winenr in this stupid format war.

dapigg
08-23-2007, 01:55 PM
I had planned on going to see the remake anyway and I already have the LE but I bought this re-release yesterday at Best Buy for $9.99 that included the free movie ticket... and that is about what I would have had to pay for just the movie ticket... so I feel like I got the DVD for free.

Bobbywoodhogan
08-23-2007, 06:36 PM
Us Brits have to wait until Oct 19th

Mortis
08-23-2007, 07:28 PM
The shiny shit on the cover looks cool. Charles Cyphers had a copy at his table at Horrorfind and I checked it out.